BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hblackmon's Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2008-03-04 8:56 AM
in reply to: #1234724

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: hblackmon's Group - CLOSED!!

sdl135 - 2008-02-25 5:34 PM I did my outside 30 min LT test with 10 min warm up and 20 cool down. My heart rate averaged 169. Is it possible that the run could be 8 beats lower than spin bike TT? I thought run would be higher. Is it because I was running in 40 degree weather? And you said 30s was not bad, it is not until you throw in wind. I also got a spreadsheet from someone on these forums that automatically fills out zones which I posted below, these look right? Bike Z1 - 116-146 Z2 - 146-157 Z3 - 158 - 165 Z4 - 166-176 Z5 - 177-180 Run Z1 - 112-143 Z2 - 144-153 Z3 - 154 - 161 Z4 - 162-168 Z5 - 169-172 One week from today I am starting the basic 16 week olympic training for March, April, and May to prepare for my first sprint at the end of May. I would tweak it a little as follows M - Short Swim, Short Bike T - Lift Chest, Back, Calves, Core ABS W - Long Swim, Short Run R - Lift Arms, Hamstrings F - Long Bike Sa - Long Run, Lift Shoulders, Quads, Abs Su - OFF So should I spend most of my training in Z2? Do you have a link to the LT zone training now that I have heart rates, I can not find it. ALL and ANY Help welcome. THANKS.

Honestly, I think we're getting to the details where I honestly don't know. I know that everyone's zones are different, so it's hard for me to know if yours are right or not - but I also don't think I've seen anyone with run zones lower than bike zones. I would suggest maybe picking a race 5K or 10K and trying that. For the 5K, it's not an overall average you are looking for - just the average of the 2nd two miles (if I remember correctly). 10K - the overall average is accurate.

For HR training, it should be a mix of intensities during training - I would strongly suggest finding a training plan that uses HR, so you'll know what to do each day. There are plans under the silver membership level that use that, I believe.

I hope that helps!!

2008-03-04 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1250314

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

How did you do on your February goals??

March goals look great - consistency is on my goals each month, to keep me accountable. I would be surprised if you didn't start loving biking soon - it starts to be really fun when you get comfortable on your bike.

For me, February recap:

- Consistent Training (1 miss/week) - pretty good; average of 1 miss/week
     * Week 1: 2 missed (1 swim, 1 bike)
     * Week 2: 1 missed (1 swim)
     * Week 3: 1 missed (1 swim)
     * Week 4: 0 missed (1 strength)

- Weight Loss: 4 pounds - need to check at gym (today)
No missed long rides  Done!
No missed
long runs  Done!
Try Masters
swimming Done!

March goals:

- Consistent Training (1 miss/week)
PR @ Silver Comet 10K

- Weight Loss: 4 pounds
No missed long rides
- No missed
long runs

2008-03-05 9:21 PM
in reply to: #1092283

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA

Didn't really meet my February goals --

my biggest goal for February is to learn my bike and get comfortable on it -
otherwise, just consistently building. goal is no misses - but realistically, no more than
3 misses for the month.

Still learning / searching for comfort on bike. Missed more than 3 workouts this month - primarily due to illness.

Paid entry fee on a sprint for April and Olympic for May -- ie, now I'm financially committed to my events. Fear and determination are setting in.

2008-03-06 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1255300

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

swise - 2008-03-05 10:21 PM Didn't really meet my February goals -- my biggest goal for February is to learn my bike and get comfortable on it - otherwise, just consistently building. goal is no misses - but realistically, no more than 3 misses for the month. Still learning / searching for comfort on bike. Missed more than 3 workouts this month - primarily due to illness. Paid entry fee on a sprint for April and Olympic for May -- ie, now I'm financially committed to my events. Fear and determination are setting in.

Financial committment - that's exactly how I motivate myself too!

What is causing you discomfort on the bike? Is it your back, seat, overall? Or is it more of a fitness issue right now?

2008-03-10 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Alright - our big group has shrunk down to just a few hard-core people. Good for those of you who are still here and moving toward your goals!! If you have a chance - check in quickly and let us know how things are going. How are your workouts feeling? Do you feel like you're making progress? Any roadblocks? Any races coming up?
2008-03-10 1:59 PM

My training is going well . I am feeling pretty good about my progress. Swim has gotten so much better. My swim edurance has come a long ways but the speed is about the same really really slow.
I am going to set something up with a guy that has worked with some triatheles. It will be good for someone to check my form. I can't belive I have not lost any weight from training. Since end of Oct. I went from doing nothing to working out most days. When I do my long run I burn about 1200 calories . I do take in some calories in form of gel when I run long but I lose my appetite after hard workouts, for a long time so meals are skipped. I struggle with this. I am always in a hurry to get kids to school and skip breakfast but manage to pick up some coffee before workouts. I am trying to change this by eatting a banana or breakfast bar. I think my body won't drop the weight for its store everything it has. I am not to worried about the weight but I worry how it may effect my training. I should get my bike next week so I am feeling pretty happy!! I also have been working on a race calender. My first event won't be untill April 12, a 10k
It is a early race( up in northern mn) but most of our snow should be gone. I have not raced in years. I think it will give me an idea of what I am able to do. I have know idea. I also signed up for a dualathon 5k run 36 bike 10k run. After I signed up I wish I would of done the short course. Weather here is to ify for that time of year and I really won't get much time in on my bike and I don't really know what I am doing yet but its to late and it will be good experience. I am thinking of switching my sprint tri from July to finding something the end of June but not sure about this yet for swim needs to improve.
For all that are still with us I would love to here how everyones training is going!!

2008-03-10 8:23 PM
in reply to: #1255845

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
What is causing you discomfort on the bike? Is it your back, seat, overall? Or is it more of a fitness issue right now?

I guess nothing specifically hurts other than my bottom getting used to the seat. When I did my fitting I replaced the seat with a "girl one" and the guy spent a lot of time adjusting it for me... poor guy, he was so PC when it came to describing the body parts I wanted to laugh. The longest I've ridden has been for like 50 minutes and nothing else has been noticably hurting.

Fitness may well factor into too - there are a fair amount of hills where I've been riding (where isn't there in mid/north GA?) that kick my butt. But, there are a lot of people who bike out where I live (beautiful country roads with lots of cows - Cochran Mill is about a 20 minute drive from my house) and my ego needs to hang back with my slow inexperienced butt (and "soft tissue area" as my bike shop guy says) on my bike. I think once I improve a bit I'll start enjoying it more.

I did my 10 mile ride - so I feel confident enough that I can complete my sprint in April
Question --- I wasn't planning buy a wetsuit for my two upcoming events (April - sprint and May - olympic). Is that insane?? Am I going to freeze??? Anyone who knows the waters that time of year, please give me some input. It's not to late if I really need one - but if I can save on spending the cash I would prefer not to.
2008-03-11 5:46 PM

Training has been going great and I have a 5 mile run third Saturday of April
First Sprint Tri May 24
50k bike ride for diabetes May 31
I have been doing all training in zone 2 now that I did my HR LT tests
March goals are an extension of my February goals although with March Madness coming up I make take some days off and rest.
I hope this thread is not slow due to people dropping out of training since we had so many to begin with.
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!
2008-03-12 10:15 AM

New user

i haven't been around much bc i've been SOO busy...but i want to keep motivated so i'm still here!! had my first ever tri last weekend...300 yd pool swim, 10 mi bike, 5k run. here's my report

SWIM - 300 yd - 5:38
It was so much fun! i started too quickly, but overall swimming is strong for me so it was fine. the run from the pool to transition area was LONG. T1 took almost as long as the swim!

BIKE
It was extremely windy, I was very glad it was a flat course! There were tornado warnings, thunderstorms, etc in the morning so I was nervous. The wind was killer but I made it through in about 40 minutes, which was fine with me. Going fast was not my priority! I had some gatorade and clif shots on the bike. T2 was fast as I didn't have to switch shoes or get to much gear on.

RUN
Started off running too fast, got a side cramp that wouldn't go away. And of course the wind was still blowing like crazy! I think there were gusts up to almost 55-60 mph while we were on the course. My cramp lasted the entire run and I was hurting by the end. My goal was not to throw up, which I didn't!

My final time was somewhere around 1:32. Overall I had a lot of fun and I'm ready to do my next one, April 26th! I will try to check in to this group more also!! Hope everyone is doing well.

Sara
2008-03-12 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1264218

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

swise - 2008-03-10 9:23 PM What is causing you discomfort on the bike? Is it your back, seat, overall? Or is it more of a fitness issue right now? I guess nothing specifically hurts other than my bottom getting used to the seat. When I did my fitting I replaced the seat with a "girl one" and the guy spent a lot of time adjusting it for me... poor guy, he was so PC when it came to describing the body parts I wanted to laugh. The longest I've ridden has been for like 50 minutes and nothing else has been noticably hurting. Fitness may well factor into too - there are a fair amount of hills where I've been riding (where isn't there in mid/north GA?) that kick my butt. But, there are a lot of people who bike out where I live (beautiful country roads with lots of cows - Cochran Mill is about a 20 minute drive from my house) and my ego needs to hang back with my slow inexperienced butt (and "soft tissue area" as my bike shop guy says) on my bike. I think once I improve a bit I'll start enjoying it more. I did my 10 mile ride - so I feel confident enough that I can complete my sprint in April Question --- I wasn't planning buy a wetsuit for my two upcoming events (April - sprint and May - olympic). Is that insane?? Am I going to freeze??? Anyone who knows the waters that time of year, please give me some input. It's not to late if I really need one - but if I can save on spending the cash I would prefer not to.

While it does take some time to adjust to a bike seat in general - remember that everyone has different needs with bike seats. In my opinion, the softer the bike seat, the more uncomfortable it is - because there are more contact points between you and the seat. That causes me most discomfort, so if you give it several weeks and are still miserable, get a new seat!!

For April & May - remember you can rent a wetsuit. I think All3Sports rents suits or you can use www.wetsuitrental.com. I would definately rent over buying, until you know you're going to do this for years to come and use the suit 1-2 x per year.

2008-03-12 2:26 PM
in reply to: #1267046

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

saralizz - 2008-03-12 11:15 AM i haven't been around much bc i've been SOO busy...but i want to keep motivated so i'm still here!! had my first ever tri last weekend...300 yd pool swim, 10 mi bike, 5k run. here's my report SWIM - 300 yd - 5:38 It was so much fun! i started too quickly, but overall swimming is strong for me so it was fine. the run from the pool to transition area was LONG. T1 took almost as long as the swim! BIKE It was extremely windy, I was very glad it was a flat course! There were tornado warnings, thunderstorms, etc in the morning so I was nervous. The wind was killer but I made it through in about 40 minutes, which was fine with me. Going fast was not my priority! I had some gatorade and clif shots on the bike. T2 was fast as I didn't have to switch shoes or get to much gear on. RUN Started off running too fast, got a side cramp that wouldn't go away. And of course the wind was still blowing like crazy! I think there were gusts up to almost 55-60 mph while we were on the course. My cramp lasted the entire run and I was hurting by the end. My goal was not to throw up, which I didn't! My final time was somewhere around 1:32. Overall I had a lot of fun and I'm ready to do my next one, April 26th! I will try to check in to this group more also!! Hope everyone is doing well. Sara

Congrats on completing your first tri - sounds like you had a great experinece and finished happy! Sounds like some rough conditions, but remember how much better that will probably make your next one seem! My first tri of the year is on April 26th - so we'll both be racing that day.

Glad to still have you with us!!

2008-03-12 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1266087

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

sdl135 - 2008-03-11 6:46 PM Training has been going great and I have a 5 mile run third Saturday of April First Sprint Tri May 24 50k bike ride for diabetes May 31 I have been doing all training in zone 2 now that I did my HR LT tests March goals are an extension of my February goals although with March Madness coming up I make take some days off and rest. I hope this thread is not slow due to people dropping out of training since we had so many to begin with. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

Great to hear training is go so well for you! Sounds like your race season really takes off next month with THREE races - sounds like fun! How are you liking HR training so far? I really feel like the HR training started to really pay off this year with me - although I am testing out a different approach coming up using paces - it will be interesting to see how that goes.

I hope you're right an people just aren't visiting this thread, because they are busy training!

2008-03-15 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
CONGRATS saralizz!!! Sounds like you had a good experience for your first tri. My first will actually be on 4/26. If you and hblackmon are going to be doing the one in Carrollton maybe I will see you there.

All here is going ok. We got a puppy a few weeks ago and that has really put a kink in everything - but I had been pushing for one for several years now and when my husband finally acquiesed I had to jump before he changed his mind. The goal is for her to run with me in the mornings - but that will likely not be for several months. So far the only thing I can say she contributes to my workouts is the daily walk my three year old and I take her on everyday.

Hope all in Atlanta area safe and undamaged after storms last night and today.
2008-03-17 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
I didn't even realize that we might all be doing the same race on the 26th - are you guys both doing John Tanner?!
2008-03-18 5:39 AM
in reply to: #1275673

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
I am. Will be my first triathlon. Not looking to compete - but rather complete. Have you ever done that particular tri before?? Any comments or suggestions?
2008-03-18 8:50 AM

New user

I am in NC and my race on Apriil 26th is the Riverwood Tri

2008-03-18 9:04 PM
in reply to: #1277641

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

swise - 2008-03-18 6:39 AM I am. Will be my first triathlon. Not looking to compete - but rather complete. Have you ever done that particular tri before?? Any comments or suggestions?

I haven't raced there before, although I have done another tri the parks race (Mistletoe - which was my first). You have the perfect attitude for your first tri - just go out and have fun. I'm not really fast enough to compete with others, I am still competing with myself. This first race is your baseline - then you aim to improve your time with each future race. A lot of the NAMC folks will be at the race - so we should be easy to find.

2008-03-18 9:05 PM
in reply to: #1277850

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

saralizz - 2008-03-18 9:50 AM I am in NC and my race on Apriil 26th is the Riverwood Tri

We'll just have to race with you in spirit then. April 26th is a great day to race!!

2008-03-19 9:42 AM

New user

yep April 26th just also happens to be my 24th birthday...
2008-03-20 9:37 AM
in reply to: #1280217

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

saralizz - 2008-03-19 10:42 AM yep April 26th just also happens to be my 24th birthday...

Well that just means you have to have a great race!!

2008-03-24 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Last week of the month - how is everyone doing? I am unfortunately fighting off something (cold, sinus infection, something) and I'm not winning right now. Hope everyone else is doing MUCH better than me!

2008-03-25 5:31 AM
in reply to: #1289419

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
hblackmon - 2008-03-24 11:24 AM

Last week of the month - how is everyone doing? I am unfortunately fighting off something (cold, sinus infection, something) and I'm not winning right now. Hope everyone else is doing MUCH better than me!

Things are going fine here.
I hope you start feeling better soon.
2008-03-25 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1289419

User image

hblackmon - 2008-03-24 11:24 AM

Hey group, I apologize for being absent for awhile. My training has been going really well, and I've been improving with my consistency. No misses last week!

Sorry to hear you're under the weather...Here's to a quick recovery! Hope everyone is enjoying beautiful weather...its been awesome here lately. Mid 70s by the end of the week!
2008-04-01 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Happy April Fools!! Less than 1 month to my first tri of the season - I'm getting excited about this year. I've made some huge progress with my running since last season, gotten my first tri bike, I'm ready to see if I can start to put the pieces together and have a really strong race.

How about everyone else - are you ready for the season to really get started?

2008-04-16 8:27 PM
in reply to: #1307597

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Nervous to get started. Looks like we've slacked off again on posting.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hblackmon's Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 7