BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hblackmon's Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2007-12-10 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: hblackmon's Group - CLOSED!!

NAME: hblackmon/Heather

STORY:  I was a dancer growing up, I didn't participate in any organized sports AT ALL!! After college (2001), I knew it was going to be difficult to impossible to continue dancing, so I needed something else to keep me busy and in shape. I started running, not being able to run even a quarter mile without dying! I worked my way up the ladder over the next year and completed my 1st marathon, although slowly. After my 2nd marathon, I couldn't handle the idea of continuing to run 3-5 days per week and got a little lazy. I decided triathlon sounded interesting, at least it would have more variety, and started training for a sprint. I completed 2 sprints my first season (on a mountain bike), 3 Olympics and 2 Sprints in my second season, and 3 Olympics, 1 sprint, and 1 Half-ironman in my third season (this year). Professionaly, I am an IT Consultant.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, black lab/husky dog

CURRENT TRAINING: I have had a coach for a year and a half now, so I try to do what he says. I just finished a nice 2 month break from structured training and I'm back on schedule now building base for 2008.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 

My 2007 Race Results:
Polar Bear 5K 29:19
Silver Comet 10K 55:38
ING Georgia HM 2:27:01
St. Anthony's (O) 3:04:35
Fest of Flowers (O) 3:03:34
Cartersville Century (55mi) 3:09:19
Chattanooga (O) 3:10:50
Supernova Scavenger Hunt 7th place
Covington Century (75mi) 4:51:31
Georgia Vet's (S) 1:19:39
Mt Bethel 5K  23:50
South Carolina (HIM) 6:45:10
Gobble Jog 10K 56:41
Sleighbells on the Square 5K 26:13

My 2008 Race Schedule: some of this might change as the season progresses
JAN 5:
Wonderful Days of Winter 5K

FEB 8: Runnin The Rocks 10K

FEB 17: Tundra Time Trial
MAR 8: Silver Comet 10K 
MAR 30: ING Georgia HM
R
APR 26: 
Langley Pond (I)
MAY 10: Gulf Coast (HIM)
JUN 8: Festival of Flowers (O)
JUN: Muddy Buddy
JUN 28:
Cartersville Century

JUL 13:
Chattanooga (O)
AUG 16: Timberman (HIM)
R
SEP: Sprint??

NOV 2:
NYC Marathon R

NOV 22: 
Gobble Jog

WEIGHTLOSS: I don't have a number in mind, but I would like really focus on my nutrition during the off season and slim down a bit.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I love encouraging people to join the triathlon obsession! It's so much fun to watch people accomplish things they didn't think would be possible! I find myself telling everyone I know and meet that they should give triathlon a try, so this is a natural extention of that. BT was a huge source of information and inspiration when I started on this crazy journey - I think this mentor program is a great way to give back. I do plan to keep this group on the smaller side - 5 people.

Edited by hblackmon 2008-01-01 10:08 AM

2007-12-18 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1092283

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: hblackmon's Group - OPEN

Hey everyone!! My mentor group is offically "open for business". If you'd like to join the group, just respond with a bio (like mine above). It would also be helpful if you could answer these questions, which will help me know how best to help everyone:

1.  What do you want from this mentoring group?

2. What training plan (if any) are you following?  

3. What is your biggest goal for the next 6 months? 

Thanks!!

2007-12-18 3:06 PM

User image

Master

Heather,

Whoever joins your group is going to get one AWESOME mentor.

Mad dedication, skills and knowledge. 

Edited by jonathan22 2007-12-18 3:07 PM
2007-12-19 6:06 PM

I would like to join your group.

I have wanted to do a triathalon since I was in college but never got serious enough to move beyond thinking about it. There were always too many reasons not to. I am 28 years old, married and a stay at home mom. My boys are 17 months and 4 months old. I decided when I was pregnant with my second son that next summer I would complete a sprint triathalon. I am excited to start training for several reasons. First, it is something that is going to give me time without my boys and do something for myself. Second, I know that even though I have lost all my baby weight I am not necessarily "in shape." I think being active and eating healthy is important and a learned behavior. I want to set an example for my boys!

1. What do you want from this mentoring group?
I would like a place to come for answers to questions, encouragement, and advise. I know I have a lot to learn!

2. What training plan (if any) are you following?
Currently I don't really have a training plan. I started going to gym again about a month ago when my baby was three months old. I have not done a lot of working out in the past few years--mainly because I have been pregnant for the better part of two years. I do know that I need structure. I have looked at the training plans on this site and need to spend a little more time looking to determine exactly what my schedule will allow. I live in Minnesota so all of my trainig will be done at the gym for the next few months. That is most convenient anyhow since I can use the child care at the gym. I do look forward to spring and getting outside. I am getting a new Cougar double chariot for Christmas so my boys can run and bike with me.

3. What is your biggest goal for the next 6 months?
Stick with my program. Make this a priority!
2007-12-20 10:30 AM
in reply to: #1110686

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

leahjt - 2007-12-19 7:06 PM I would like to join your group. I have wanted to do a triathalon since I was in college but never got serious enough to move beyond thinking about it. There were always too many reasons not to. I am 28 years old, married and a stay at home mom. My boys are 17 months and 4 months old. I decided when I was pregnant with my second son that next summer I would complete a sprint triathalon. I am excited to start training for several reasons. First, it is something that is going to give me time without my boys and do something for myself. Second, I know that even though I have lost all my baby weight I am not necessarily "in shape." I think being active and eating healthy is important and a learned behavior. I want to set an example for my boys! 1. What do you want from this mentoring group? I would like a place to come for answers to questions, encouragement, and advise. I know I have a lot to learn! 2. What training plan (if any) are you following? Currently I don't really have a training plan. I started going to gym again about a month ago when my baby was three months old. I have not done a lot of working out in the past few years--mainly because I have been pregnant for the better part of two years. I do know that I need structure. I have looked at the training plans on this site and need to spend a little more time looking to determine exactly what my schedule will allow. I live in Minnesota so all of my trainig will be done at the gym for the next few months. That is most convenient anyhow since I can use the child care at the gym. I do look forward to spring and getting outside. I am getting a new Cougar double chariot for Christmas so my boys can run and bike with me. 3. What is your biggest goal for the next 6 months? Stick with my program. Make this a priority!

Welcome leahjt (is it Leah?)!! Congratulations on making the decision to do a triathlon next year - what a great example for your boys!! I will warn you, triathlons are addictive - once you do one, you'll be hooked!

If you need any help picking out a training plan, let me know. You might consider becoming a bronze or silver member of BT, so you'll have access to all the plans offered. I used these plans when I started doing triathlons and I know a lot of people I train who use them as well - they are a great place to start! You'll also want to look into using the training log feature on the website - it's a great tool to track your progress AND it makes it easy for our group to motivate each other. I will add you as a friend to my training log, then I can link to your log easily and use the "inspire" feature to leave you notes on your training. There are some great articles on the site that help explain how to use the training log (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=122), but feel free to ask me any questions about it too!

Have you picked out which race you're going to train for next year?

2007-12-20 3:27 PM

tri4mom/ Tania
I would like to join your group. I just got back from my workout and I have to get my kids up from there naps but I wanted to make sure that I get in a group if you'll have me. I will get back tonight with a bio .

2007-12-20 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1112284

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

tri4mom - 2007-12-20 4:27 PM tri4mom/ Tania I would like to join your group. I just got back from my workout and I have to get my kids up from there naps but I wanted to make sure that I get in a group if you'll have me. I will get back tonight with a bio .

Hi Tania! We'd love to have you join the group. I'm heading home to squeeze in a workout before dinner myself, but I should be back on later tonight to look for your bio.

Edited by hblackmon 2007-12-20 3:38 PM
2007-12-20 6:18 PM

User image

Kennesaw, GA.
Hi Heather,
My name is Kevin. I was hoping to join your group. I definitely could use the comradery and motivation. I seem to have lost motivation to train lately. I have been distracted for various reasons and look forward to getting back into the swing of things.

STORY: This will be my 2nd season in Tri. I did 4 races last year. 1 sprint, 1 team and 2 others. Nothing too long. I am pretty rounded in all parts of tri. I love to swim, I have been a member of Aarons Cycling Team in Atlanta the last two years, and I have 5 marathons and a handfull of 1/2 marathons under my belt.

FAMILY STATUS: Single.

WEIGHTLOSS: Well, this is my BIGGEST obstacle. I have put on atleast 50 lbs in the past 2-3 months (topping the scale at 295). Like I said, I haven't been motivated to do anything (except eat and sleep). I just started training again this past week. I plan on dropping close to 100lbs over the year.

TRAINING: I am following the "FIRST" half marathon training plan from the Furman Institute of running. I also plan to add 2 swim days and 2 bike days.

GOAL: Silver comet 10K
ING Georgia HM
Chattanooga
SC HIM ?

So with this said, I hope I can contribute to your group.
2007-12-20 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1112667

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

kevnb72 - 2007-12-20 7:18 PM Hi Heather, My name is Kevin. I was hoping to join your group. I definitely could use the comradery and motivation. I seem to have lost motivation to train lately. I have been distracted for various reasons and look forward to getting back into the swing of things. STORY: This will be my 2nd season in Tri. I did 4 races last year. 1 sprint, 1 team and 2 others. Nothing too long. I am pretty rounded in all parts of tri. I love to swim, I have been a member of Aarons Cycling Team in Atlanta the last two years, and I have 5 marathons and a handfull of 1/2 marathons under my belt. FAMILY STATUS: Single. WEIGHTLOSS: Well, this is my BIGGEST obstacle. I have put on atleast 50 lbs in the past 2-3 months (topping the scale at 295). Like I said, I haven't been motivated to do anything (except eat and sleep). I just started training again this past week. I plan on dropping close to 100lbs over the year. TRAINING: I am following the "FIRST" half marathon training plan from the Furman Institute of running. I also plan to add 2 swim days and 2 bike days. GOAL: Silver comet 10K ING Georgia HM Chattanooga SC HIM ? So with this said, I hope I can contribute to your group.

Hi Kevin - glad to have you in the group! As a Georgia Bulldog fan, I'll overlook your college affiliation. I was actually born in New Orleans and my dad got his PHD at LSU, so I don't mind that school too much - at least you're not a Gator! You're actually in my area, my parents live in Kennesaw and I'm just down the road in Marietta. Not to hijack my own thread - but if you're looking for training partners, you should check out our tri club (www.northatlantamultisport.org). There are a bunch of us on BT that are members.

Motivation is a tricky thing sometimes. For me, sometimes I have to force myself to do workouts for a while after a break, before I really "want" to do it again. You're in the right place for some extra motivation, though, we'll keep you accountable to getting back on track. Sounds like you have a big goal for the next year, I would suggest you set little goals throughout the next year to help keep yourself on track and gauge your progress.

As far as your training schedule, I have heard nothing but great things about the FIRST program - I think it meshes extremely well with tris, as you have more days off running to fit in swim and bike. Great choice! Your race schedule looks familiar - I'm doing those same races (well, maybe the SC HIM as a relay, depends how I'm feeling by September). I've done those races before too, so let me know if you have questions about any of the courses.

2007-12-20 9:01 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

We've got a great group forming - I'm very excited about starting the new year off right with everyone!

If you haven't already, you will want to add each other to your BT friends list.  If you haven't used the training log before, this is a great time to start! To add the group to your friends list, go to the control panel  -->  edit training settings --> friends.  Enter each person in the group and you will have a link to their blog/training log in your blog/training log.  This is a great way to remember to check in with each other on a regular basis and help keep everyone accountable! Knowing that others are watching your training is a great extra push in motivation!

I'm sure everyone's training is a little wierd right now with all the holiday busy-ness, but once we hit the beginning of January I'll ask everyone to post their planned training here each week. Just another way we can motivate each other throughout the week.

2007-12-20 11:43 PM

tri4mom/Tania
Okay here it goes. I am a newbie to the sport. I have finally decided to scratch another goal off my life list of things I have to do. I have always wanted to do a tri but I always backed away from commiting because I don't swim. I was previously a runner, who became extremely obsessive with the sport. I also became very unhappy with my racing times. (Looking back I was so Foolish in my 30's) I really just lost the joy of running and needed to step away from the sport. I should have been so proud. I did 10 marathons in 3 years and trained in the Minnesota winters. I also did numerous half marathons 15k 10k & 5k's.
I have exercised pretty sporadically for the last 5 years , due to having two more children and a lack of a goal.

After a 5 year break of running this past September I started to run consistently. The last week in October I jumped into the pool . I thought I was going to have to give up a lung to get to the other side. I had know idea I was suppose to exhale into the water. This first time into the water was during senior citizen lap swim. I got out of the pool and thought to myself I am probably at least 20 years younger, and I can't get to the other side,they can swim forever! I kept going back and I would see the same faces. I got a lot of advice and learned so much from these people. I took some swim lessons learned to swim and bilatteral breath on every third stroke. I am not very good but I can now say I can swim!
I try to get into the pool 3 times a week. I don't have much experience biking that too will be somewhat new to me.

I have been married for 19 years and we have four daughters ages 18, 16, 3 ,and 2 . I am a stay at home mom and find that I am much happier and healthier. I also enjoy having time that is just my own.
My goal is to finish a sprint tri in July. I would also probably do some 5k's, 10k's, and 1 half marathon this year. My plan is to do a bike race in late spring .

I too live in Minnesota so most my runs and biking is done at he gym. However we recently moved to Northern Minnesota . I live on the lake and literally out my door I have miles of paved bike trails. No excuses come spring time!

What do I want from the mentoring group?
A place to get some feed back ask questions, advice, encouragement and even maybe a little criticism for I to have a lot to learn.

Training Plan
I have been just working on building a base but, come first of the year I would like to find one that I am still able to run some races with.

Biggest goal
To get to the start of a sprint tri and feel confident that I will not die! Also to improve my swim in the next six months .I am very proud of what I have done the past 8 weeks but, I still need to improve and stick to a plan.

2007-12-21 9:08 AM
in reply to: #1112984

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

tri4mom - 2007-12-21 12:43 AM tri4mom/Tania Okay here it goes. I am a newbie to the sport. I have finally decided to scratch another goal off my life list of things I have to do. I have always wanted to do a tri but I always backed away from commiting because I don't swim. I was previously a runner, who became extremely obsessive with the sport. I also became very unhappy with my racing times. (Looking back I was so Foolish in my 30's) I really just lost the joy of running and needed to step away from the sport. I should have been so proud. I did 10 marathons in 3 years and trained in the Minnesota winters. I also did numerous half marathons 15k 10k & 5k's. I have exercised pretty sporadically for the last 5 years , due to having two more children and a lack of a goal. After a 5 year break of running this past September I started to run consistently. The last week in October I jumped into the pool . I thought I was going to have to give up a lung to get to the other side. I had know idea I was suppose to exhale into the water. This first time into the water was during senior citizen lap swim. I got out of the pool and thought to myself I am probably at least 20 years younger, and I can't get to the other side,they can swim forever! I kept going back and I would see the same faces. I got a lot of advice and learned so much from these people. I took some swim lessons learned to swim and bilatteral breath on every third stroke. I am not very good but I can now say I can swim! I try to get into the pool 3 times a week. I don't have much experience biking that too will be somewhat new to me. I have been married for 19 years and we have four daughters ages 18, 16, 3 ,and 2 . I am a stay at home mom and find that I am much happier and healthier. I also enjoy having time that is just my own. My goal is to finish a sprint tri in July. I would also probably do some 5k's, 10k's, and 1 half marathon this year. My plan is to do a bike race in late spring . I too live in Minnesota so most my runs and biking is done at he gym. However we recently moved to Northern Minnesota . I live on the lake and literally out my door I have miles of paved bike trails. No excuses come spring time! What do I want from the mentoring group? A place to get some feed back ask questions, advice, encouragement and even maybe a little criticism for I to have a lot to learn. Training Plan I have been just working on building a base but, come first of the year I would like to find one that I am still able to run some races with. Biggest goal To get to the start of a sprint tri and feel confident that I will not die! Also to improve my swim in the next six months .I am very proud of what I have done the past 8 weeks but, I still need to improve and stick to a plan.

Wow - 10 marathons in 3 years, that is impressive! I can't imagine NOT being burned-out on running after that - it only took me 2 marathons in a year to hit that point! With your running background and the dedication required to train for and complete 10 marathons, I think you will adapt to triathlon training very well!

Your experience starting to swim sounds very similar to mine. My husband was a year-round swimmer growing up and I believe the term he used to describe me was "a flailer". Swimming is such a technical sport, it really takes a while to start to get your form corrected and understand the mechanics. The best thing you can do to continue improving here is a swim coach - I took several lessons with one in my area last year and it helped immensely - although having an ex-swimmer for a husband certainly helps too.

As for a training plan, have you looked at the plans offered here at BT? They have some excellent winter maintenance plans and sprint training plans that will certainly get you ready for your race in July! Honestly, with you starting to train now, you could definately pick a race sooner than that, if there is one in your area you are interested in.

2007-12-23 7:35 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

So - it's Sunday night of Christmas week - I can't believe tomorrow is Christmas Eve! What's on tap for everyone's training this week?

For me, it's very abbreviated this week:

Mon - 1.5hr bike & 45min run (both at base pace - slow!)
Tue (Christmas) -> Tue (New Years)- No tri training, snowboarding in Utah for 4 days!!

I won't have access to the computer while I'm in Utah, so I'll be unavailable from Christmas night through New Years. How about everyone else?

2007-12-24 11:43 AM

User image

Hi Heather,

If you are still accepting mentees, I would like to join your group.

Name: drluvisme/Bryan; 34 yo M from Concord, NC

Story: I too am a newbie to the sport, but I have always enjoyed challenging myself. In my younger years, In 2005, my wife and I hiked the AT from Georgia to Maine. Since then I have been searching for ways to improve/maintain my fitness level. I would say that I have been pretty sporadic about excercising, but would like to find & keep to a regular excercising regimen. Last year I competed in a few 5-10K's and a short charity bike ride. It has been awhile since I have been in a pool (college days), but I did enjoy swimming laps back then.

Family status: I am married (no kids) with an extremely supportive wife of nearly 7 years. We have a maltese. I work as a pharmacy professor which keeps me pretty busy.

Current training: I have primarily been training on an eliptical trainer 3-4x/week and riding my bike. I have printed the 16 week Sprint (2x balanced) plan, and was planning to use this to build a base.

Weightloss: I would like to lose ~10 lbs, but I'm not that focused on a number. I know with training & proper nutrition, I will get closer to an ideal weight.

What do I want from a mentoring group? I'm hoping for helpful advice to get me started on the correct path, accountability, and encouragement.

Biggest goal: I would like to find & stick to a training plan that would prepare me to compete in and finish a sprint Tri this spring. Eventually, I would like to continue to progress to an Olympic Tri and beyond.

2007-12-24 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Can I join? Really would like to join if possible.
I will give you a little information.

I have done 3 triathlons. 3 duathlons. 9 1/2 marathons. 2 marathons. I love swimming. I enjoy running. Biking is my weakness.

Family status. Married one child, one dog, one fish

current training. I am in a slump. running mostly. Want to get into my swimming after the new year. Baby steps on the bike.

What I want from the group. Communication, Support, helpful hints and to be able to motivate and support others the best I can.

Biggest goal to loose some weight, keep training and make new friends.
Merry Christmas Karen

Everyone welcome to look at my training blog!!!!

Edited by newadventures 2007-12-24 12:47 PM
2007-12-24 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran

Heather - If you still have room I would also like to join.

Name - tntexpres/John

Story - I became interested in triathlon almost 2 years ago. After a complete floundering on my goals the first year - I did manage a handful of 5k's and my first sprint (Xterra) this past year. I have had a couple of family things that were life changing and managed to let them blow me off course the past two months. I am a tile contractor and used to get a good bit of exercise daily but having employees now continues to decrease this amount.

Family - Married to the best woman for 17 yrs - daughters 9, 13, 14 - and 1 wanna-be dog (chihuahua - also female!)

Current training - non-exsistent. I will be deciding on a plan this week. Any help appreciated.

2008 goals - I haven't committed to anything specific .....yet, but I will. These are some races in my sights.

Feb - Reindeer on the run 5K

May - Turtle Crawl Triathlon Olympic (?)

August - Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon (I volunteered for this race 2 yrs ago - first experience with tri's and want so badly to do this race)

Weightloss - I would like to drop about 10lbs of fat and replace it with about 15lbs of muscle.

I would like to get a coach at some point this year. Specifically for swimming.

Thanks - John

Edit - after re-reading your original post I realized your group size is limited to 5 and I think you are at that number already. I will try elsewhere.

Thanks anyway - good luck to you all.

Edited by tntexpres 2007-12-25 8:27 PM

2007-12-25 8:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Merry Christmas Everyone!!! I am going to run 3 miles early tomorrow morning before hubby goes to work. Wish me luck.
2007-12-26 7:38 AM

I would love to join your group if you will have me. My bio is below, I do need the help and motivation to complete my 08 goals.

NAME: sdl135/Shawn

STORY: Growing up I played all types of organized team sports, mostly basketball. Since high school and college (last 8 years) I have lifted weights and did cardio workouts pretty consistently. However, I found going to the gym was getting boring and needed to get motivated and excited to exercise again. So in May my college roommate turned me on to the triathlon training so I completed the 12 week sprint program from BT. But the last couple months I have resorted to old ways in regards to diet, exercise, and drinking. Well, I just turned 30 on Monday (XMAS EVE) and realize I need and want to take my health and life seriously. So on Monday, my 30th birthday, I got back on BT and started my 08 health goals. I love the idea of having a mentor. I want to concentrate on changing my mind and body for the better and get back that competitive spirit I had when playing organized sports.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a gorgeous wife, shi-poo named Ginger who is the sweetest dog alive

CURRENT TRAINING: On Monday I want to start the 16 week 2x balanced training plan on this site. I want to do a 5k in March and a sprint tri in April. By the end of the summer I would like to complete an olympic

WEIGHTLOSS: I weigh 156 and want to lose 11 pounds of fat and gain muscle from there. I have all my extra weight on my belly and chest which makes looking in the mirror bothersome.

Let me know when you return from the holidays if I can join your group, thanks. Happy Holidays.
2007-12-26 6:03 PM

User image

Edited by teresa 2007-12-28 5:48 PM
2007-12-26 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Hopefully you are still accepting people!

I used to dance quite a bit about a decade ago, but gave it up because I thought I made a better bowler. After graduating from college and acquiring a great desk job (engineer), I've had the pleasure of watching my weight climb. So I'm working full time and going to school (though an on-demand program) full time AND had the bright idea that training for a triathlon would be a smart move.

Some motivation, advice, especially with running.....I can barely make it 1/2 mile without dying.

Hired a personal trainer to help with the weight issues. Working with him about 2x a week. Have lost about 9 pounds since mid Oct (had to factor in the holidays!). Am also doing the Couch to 5K running program from CoolRunning...following the iPod version so I don't have to mentally intelligent while I run. Trying to swim and bike when I can. I am least worried about the bike since my first time out I was doing an easy 5 min/mile and shouldn't have much problem getting that down.

Reach my goal weight (about 20 more pounds)
Complete my first 5K on Jan 1 (even though I will most likely walk most of it!)
Complete my first sprint Tri in May - Rocky Point Tri
2007-12-26 9:37 PM

New user

This may be full, but if not would like to join given some unique overlap with the current group members - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

NAME: Johnny

FAMILY STATUS: 30, Married, 19 month old son, 2 cats (Symba and Merlin)

STORY:
I grew up playing almost every organized sport available (jack of all trades but master of none). Was heavily involved in weight training throughout college and early in my professional career - taking my 5'10" frame to 191 lbs. Subsequently, work bogged me down (investment banking will do that); and during my late twenties lost a regular workout plan and generally became "unhealthy". Following a transition to a new career path in January 2007 (made expressly for better work life/balance), I have been enlighted with greater family interaction and a return to "healthy" living including a general weight training program and cardio plan. This plan was mainly aimed at shedding a few pounds. After getting into the 175 lb range, I turned 30 and listened to one of my college buddies rave about his completion of a Sprint Tri. He also shares a similar family story as mine, so we decided to sign-up for a Sprint (my first) in May of 2008 at White Lake, NC.

GOALS:
-Beat my aforementioned buddy in the May Race (PRIMARY)
-Increase flexibilty
-Develop good training habits that can be shared with my wife and son
-Prove to my father that I will not drown during the swim portion of the race (he is seriously concerned about this - I am not)
-Maintain current weight (165-170)

CURRENT TRAINING:
-5 to six days a week; have been logging in this website's TL since November
-Swim 2-3x per week; run 2x per week (long and short); bike (stationary) 1-2x; weight training 1-2x per week in conjunction with aforementioned cardio

OTHER:
-I grew up in ATL (Marietta / Roswell) - lots of overlap with this group
-Currently in Charlotte (I think I read someone else is in Concord)

WHAT WOULD BE HELPFUL:
-General training thoughts to improve performance (and effeciency)
-Thoughts on alternative training (Yoga etc)
-Equipment choices
-Most importantly - some general support; not many of my current friends are into any competitive type athletics and their lilfestyles underscore "what not to do" from a health perspective

2007-12-27 2:48 PM

Veteran
Peabody MA
Still accepting applications?

Hi I'm Jim/jblt4.

STORY: I have always been a bicyclist and have enjoyed an active lifestyle. We are empty nesters at this point in our life and are looking to challenge ourselves, so we have decided to try a sprint distance tri here in the Boston area in 2008. We are members of the YMCA and hit the gym 4 times a week. We can run, we can bike, but swimming.......well I guess thats our challenge.

FAMILY STATUS: Living together for 15 years, kids are grown and moved out. 1 dog, 3 cats & one bird.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently reading the Idiots guide to TRIs and that was interesting. We are going to do the 20 week sprint training program from BT once we make the initial goals (30 min run, 30 min bike and 20 min swim). Our tri isn't until august so I think we have plenty of training time, but we are concerned.

I'm hoping to learn. Hoping to get in better shape. Hoping to have fun. If you have an opening then I would love to join your group.

JD
2007-12-27 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1118924

Veteran
Peabody MA
I see I'm late also in my application.
Sorry.
I'll try elsewhere

JD
2007-12-27 5:51 PM

User image

New user

Hi - I guess being a newbie I'm looking at seeing if I can do this and stay alive at the end. To give you a bit of a bio - I am 59 years old and over the past year I have lost 140 pounds and have gone from being a couch potato to someone who works out for about 4 hours every day (riding, swimming, running, surfing, weights etc). I would love to do a Triathalon this Spring of 2008. I don't have a specific training plan yet - just being doing lots of stuff to get in shape.

Advice, encouragement, support, friendship......

I do 40 minutes of butterfly, 40 minutes of backstroke, 40 minutes of breaststroke daily.
I ride about 50 miles per day.
I run about 20 miles every day.

To compete in my first Triathalon in the Spring of 2008.

2007-12-27 7:05 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE

Hi gang... I'd like to join this group if there is still room.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hblackmon's Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 7