Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2008-01-18 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1164366

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: Jszat's Group- full

ultrahip_00 - 2008-01-18 1:22 PM you are just too gangsta - i recommend running in the cold - i haven't ran in temps over 30 in a few months (aside from some treadmill runs, but those suck!), the packers are going all the way, down with the giants, and patriots!

I have done more treaddy work this winter than last year cuz of knee stuff last year, but for the longer runs, i would rather have the scenery and variation.  Its just dressing appropriately, though frozen water bottles can be a challenge.  Hate the wind though.

2008-01-23 12:00 PM
in reply to: #1093982

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
geez, just sitting in page two status for a few days.  whats up peeps?
2008-01-23 5:15 PM

User image

Elite
Just a lot of boring base work here.  Although I have been very happy with my treadmill runs lately.  Did I say that?  Have been able to keep heart rate in low Z2 for last 3 runs.  Todays was a 50 minute session.
2008-01-24 6:12 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
well i am still dealing with a very annoying ear pain thingy going on.............more of a distraction than anything at all, but jeezyweezy, its been over a week now, just go away dambit!!  might have to make a doc appt soon so they can run some tests, put me thru some procedures, send me for more tests just to tell me that they dont know what the cause is...............................oh well. life goes on and therefore so does training.
2008-01-24 7:01 AM
in reply to: #1171936

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
jszat - 2008-01-23 1:00 PM

geez, just sitting in page two status for a few days.  whats up peeps?

PT work for the hamstring. No other stuff until this weekend really.

PT session last night:
5 min spin on recumbant(sp?) bike
Laying, machine assisted squats
Laying, one legged, machine assisted squats on balance disc
machine assisted running (lying on back, push off one leg, land on other, squat down to 90 degrees, push off, repeat)
Rolly chair laps (just like it sounds, sit in rolly chair, do three laps around gym)
Standing, band assisted, leg extensions (front, side, inner) both legs
Ploymetric (stand on block, jump off block, down to squat, jump out of squat)
Different hamstring and piroformis stretches
Electro-theraphy and ice

Pretty good work out actually. Plan to swim Saturday and do a soooper light spin on Friday.
2008-01-24 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
well, i just ran 8.4 miles for the 2nd time (first was last week), and i will probably lift later today, maybe 1500-2000 yds tommarow before i leave for a ski race at mt hood.

2008-01-25 6:57 AM
in reply to: #1171936

User image

Pro
Without house

jszat - 2008-01-23 12:00 PM geez, just sitting in page two status for a few days. whats up peeps?

You tell us, o mentor...

I've just been plodding away.   Have had an issue with the quads for about a week...they were tight last week and then when trying to kneel down to fix something on my bike, first one then the other snapped (that's the best way I can find to describe the sensation...they didn't actually snap in 2 or anything...) so I've cut back on the running and not pushing it too hard on the bike.  They feel a lot better now, but are still a little sensitive to different motions (have to be careful getting out of the car).  On the way back to normal, however.

I have to say that now that I'm on a regular training plan, my mood in general is much improved.  I guess training is my anti-depressant.  Back in October I was really in a rough spot, and wasn't doing any training for a bit, but once I got back to it, things got progressively better.  Now that I'm consistent, so is my mental state (for the most part).  I'm still having slumps, but I'm snapping out of them much quicker.

Off now...must get a swim in.  I'm also finding that if I can get at least one of my workouts in in the AM (when I have 2 for a day), I'm much more alert/coherent/with it.  I don't do 4:30 am, but there have been times that I've been to the gym by 6ish. (Way impressive for me...I'm a night owl). 

2008-01-25 8:53 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
I hear what you are saying maggyruth about anti-depressant effects or exercise.

Since my injury was diagonsed I have been in a real funk. I also realized how long I have been pushing through my injury too. I have developed some stability and balance issues in my right leg because of the pull and the adjustments my body made to work around the problem. I really didn't notice it until I started my PT sessions doing one leg specific work how it effected me.

I still don't know when I first caused my injury but I know I exacerbated it by training and pushing through the pain and soreness. I also realized that my hamstring bothered me all the time... effected my sleep... and I just ignored it and thought it was just a sore muscle. I am pretty sure that I trained all last season with it and by December it was just too much.

It is also making me doubt if I should attempt a HIM this year. I have not registered for the race yet so it has no financial impact. I really thought that I was ready to take a step up to a higher level/distance but I don't know if I should try it on a already weak muscle.

Everyone's thoughts on this would help.... Even if it is HTFU. I know distance racing is a personal choice and you have to race your race, and make you own choices.... blah, blah, blah. I will make my choice but I want to hear what you would do in this situation.
2008-01-25 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1175580

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

JChristoff - 2008-01-25 8:53 AM I hear what you are saying maggyruth about anti-depressant effects or exercise. Since my injury was diagonsed I have been in a real funk. I also realized how long I have been pushing through my injury too. I have developed some stability and balance issues in my right leg because of the pull and the adjustments my body made to work around the problem. I really didn't notice it until I started my PT sessions doing one leg specific work how it effected me. I still don't know when I first caused my injury but I know I exacerbated it by training and pushing through the pain and soreness. I also realized that my hamstring bothered me all the time... effected my sleep... and I just ignored it and thought it was just a sore muscle. I am pretty sure that I trained all last season with it and by December it was just too much. It is also making me doubt if I should attempt a HIM this year. I have not registered for the race yet so it has no financial impact. I really thought that I was ready to take a step up to a higher level/distance but I don't know if I should try it on a already weak muscle. Everyone's thoughts on this would help.... Even if it is HTFU. I know distance racing is a personal choice and you have to race your race, and make you own choices.... blah, blah, blah. I will make my choice but I want to hear what you would do in this situation.

i would find a race in the future, circle that date on my calendar and use that date as a goal for motivation to get my PT done.  well, that is what i would do in a perfect unstubborn world, but, since i live in a imperfect very stubborn world i would probably end up resting for a week or so, then try hammerin workouts in and try to do the race and wonder why when it was all over that 1.  i didnt finish, and 2.  why my frickin injury is back since i "rested" it so much............

2008-01-25 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1175580

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

JChristoff - 2008-01-25 8:53 AM I hear what you are saying maggyruth about anti-depressant effects or exercise. Since my injury was diagonsed I have been in a real funk. I also realized how long I have been pushing through my injury too. I have developed some stability and balance issues in my right leg because of the pull and the adjustments my body made to work around the problem. I really didn't notice it until I started my PT sessions doing one leg specific work how it effected me. I still don't know when I first caused my injury but I know I exacerbated it by training and pushing through the pain and soreness. I also realized that my hamstring bothered me all the time... effected my sleep... and I just ignored it and thought it was just a sore muscle. I am pretty sure that I trained all last season with it and by December it was just too much. It is also making me doubt if I should attempt a HIM this year. I have not registered for the race yet so it has no financial impact. I really thought that I was ready to take a step up to a higher level/distance but I don't know if I should try it on a already weak muscle. Everyone's thoughts on this would help.... Even if it is HTFU. I know distance racing is a personal choice and you have to race your race, and make you own choices.... blah, blah, blah. I will make my choice but I want to hear what you would do in this situation.

The HTFU stuff is bs when it comes to pushing through injury.  You see how macho it is to push through it now as you deal with other issues this year that probably could have been resolved with a few days off.  It is helpful to me to have short and longer term goals.  Throw the HIM out there as a carrot with the caveat that you wont do it if you are healthy.  It will be easy enough for you to assess if any inability to do one if thats the case is due to injury or lack of training.  Really, this place is a double edged sword in that the support system is great but at times it makes us less than honest with ourselves.  Work the PT, get healthy and know that you might take a stab at it.  You can still work on other things form wise and lower end aerobic that will make the road to the HIM easier.

2008-02-01 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
so i got a friend of mine who is a good triathlete to agree to give me some swim lessons next week. i was wondering if you guys had any advice as to what i should ask/learn (specifically) to improve -- i know this will be a little tough since you haven't seen me swim - but i usually swim around 2:00 min/mile, and can swim ok distance without stopping (1000 yds - 1 mile), but not w/ease. He usually swims 1:20-1:30 min/mile for distance, or can swim a 100 yd in under a minute for sprinting. .

2008-02-01 9:33 AM

User image

Elite
Have him watch how you are ending your stroke.  Are you pushing all the way through to the end or are you just kind of limp arming it towards the back of the stroke.  I have seen my biggest improvements by pushing the water down past my feet.  When I feel turbulance at my feet I know I am stroking well.  (Does that sound dirty to anyone other than me?)
2008-02-01 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1188685

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

mndiver - 2008-02-01 9:33 AM Have him watch how you are ending your stroke.  Are you pushing all the way through to the end or are you just kind of limp arming it towards the back of the stroke.  I have seen my biggest improvements by pushing the water down past my feet.  When I feel turbulance at my feet I know I am stroking well.  (Does that sound dirty to anyone other than me?)

Everyone is going to have their own issues/deficiencies in their stroke.  For me, it was mega weak right side balance.  I had been rotating properly to the left, but facing right, I was more or less flat.  Hydrodynamically, this is a terrible way to swim and I was also not getting enough pull out of my core.  I would ditto what mndiver is saying as my pull was very sloppy as well and now I have a better understanding of the concepts as to what it is supposed to be.  But also see if you are rotating enough and also if you are balanced.  Sinking legs are tough to compensate for too if thats an issue but you can adjust pretty easily by pushing your head and chest lower up front.

2008-02-01 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
yea - that sounds like some good advice. swimming is tough because it is so much about technique, not just endurance and fitness, unlike biking/running. it reminds me of ski racing - a 110 lb, 5'1 girl can kill me in a ski race because she has the the technique, even though i'm definitly stronger then her. that being said, a girl of that stature could probably kill me in B/R because she would be in better shape . my main thing w/swimming, i want to be able to swim farther, with less energy. im not too concerned w/speed, but i just am too fatigued after a swim. it makes it hard to B/R well when the swim exhausts you. . . that was the story of my first tri, i was dead from the swim, but luckily i got a second wind for the Bike.
2008-02-01 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1189360

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

ultrahip_00 - 2008-02-01 12:41 PM yea - that sounds like some good advice. swimming is tough because it is so much about technique, not just endurance and fitness, unlike biking/running. it reminds me of ski racing - a 110 lb, 5'1 girl can kill me in a ski race because she has the the technique, even though i'm definitly stronger then her. that being said, a girl of that stature could probably kill me in B/R because she would be in better shape . my main thing w/swimming, i want to be able to swim farther, with less energy. im not too concerned w/speed, but i just am too fatigued after a swim. it makes it hard to B/R well when the swim exhausts you. . . that was the story of my first tri, i was dead from the swim, but luckily i got a second wind for the Bike.

I came from zero swim background and just getting comfortable with being in the water in any form took some time.  If you are already there, focus on getting long and do drills like crazy.  I have had that focus since December after about two years of trying to just figure it out and swim however and the feedback I got from a clinic allowed me to work the heck out of deficiencies in my stroke.  Report back with what the other person says and I can maybe recommend some drills to hammer on.

2008-02-01 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1189360

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
ultrahip_00 - 2008-02-01 1:41 PM

yea - that sounds like some good advice. swimming is tough because it is so much about technique, not just endurance and fitness, unlike biking/running. it reminds me of ski racing - a 110 lb, 5'1 girl can kill me in a ski race because she has the the technique, even though i'm definitly stronger then her. that being said, a girl of that stature could probably kill me in B/R because she would be in better shape . my main thing w/swimming, i want to be able to swim farther, with less energy. im not too concerned w/speed, but i just am too fatigued after a swim. it makes it hard to B/R well when the swim exhausts you. . . that was the story of my first tri, i was dead from the swim, but luckily i got a second wind for the Bike.

I had a swimming background... but never competitively. Always just trying to beat my brother, dad, sister, whomever across the pool. My sister was a competitve HS swimmer and Jr. Olympian. I basically learned from her.

Being comfortable in the water is huge. Your HR sky rockets, your breathing gets labored and your form goes down the drain. I consider myself an average swimmer (1:45 - 1:30/100 yrd) and it is my strength in triathlon. I am just not that good yet at running and biking.

Focus and form have been the sticking points for me. As I started swimming long distance I started asking myself where does your form fall apart, when does your kick change, when does your balance/roll start to get sloppy? For me it is when I stop thinking about it, start trying to muscle through or tense up. I have had the best swimming splits when I have been relaxed, focused on good form, and gliding as much as possible.

Like Joe said... talk to the swim guy and see what he says. I am sure I could do the same and get faster too but I am comfortable right now with my splits and haven't felt the need to work on it.

2008-02-02 6:29 PM

User image

Pro
Without house

I just have to say re: swimming, it's gone from being my worst of the 3 sports to being the one where I'm the most comfotable.  It's the one I miss the most when I don't get it in.  It's been a strange turn of events.

That aside, it's been a miserable week for me, workout wise.  Ended up getting sick and ended up missing 4 days of workouts this week to rest my body.  I'm not too horribly concerned about it.  My intent is to get a session in tomorrow and to get back to my p  I lan next week (my weeks start on Mondays).   I managed to catch whatever's been going around (I may not live in a petri dish, but I certainly do work in one!) and even took part of a sick day from work.  Right now I have the super sexy post nasal drip voice...and can do a kick-butt donkey bray right now...(must find the positives).

Positives for this week: I started with a personal trainer to strengthen my core (and some upper body).   I have an uncompensated curve in my lower spine due to scoliosis that caused issues for a number of years...my hips are uneven, I have some arthritis, and I had years of lower back pain (to the point of having extreme difficulty walking).  Losing a considerable amount of weight has certainly helped, but I've always avoided doing things to strengthen the area because many of the exercises I  knew just caused more pain.  I decided to get some help, not just because I can think it can help me in triathlons, but I feel that sometimes my balance and walking are a little off, and increased core strength will help with those as well.  I started with SandiVB on Friday, and that girl is gonna kick my booty!!  The main difficulty I had was when she told me to breath through my nose...it's still kind of stuffy.  LoL.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend. 

2008-02-06 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
where is everybody! come on now!! i still haven't had a swim lesson (busy week ), and i haven't been running due to a spot of pain on a shin of mine. . just riding the bike a lot. my school's tri club is having a "do an ironman in 3 weeks" thing, so im doing that, which means i have to run some (26 miles in 3 weeks, not too bad ). hopefully our team wins by finishing the quickest!
2008-02-06 9:11 PM

User image

Elite
Whats up peeps.  Had kind of a tough day work-out wise.  Feet were sore for some reason and I'm trying to heal 3 blisters between my toes.  Decided to just take a rest day from running today.  Swim should have been great on fresh legs and no work-out.  Nope, felt tired and legs were very heavy in kicking drills.  Guess some days are just down days.
2008-02-07 12:37 AM
in reply to: #1198373

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
mndiver - 2008-02-06 7:11 PM

• Feet were sore for some reason and I'm trying to heal 3 blisters between my toes. .

• ouch! i hope you recover soon, blisters are no fun i got some on my heels from snowshoeing a couple of months ago. . but i just but a band-aid on it and ran because im addicted and unintelligent
    2008-02-07 7:40 AM

User image

Elite
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm just working through PT. I did a easy 2mile run on Tuesday... Come Wednesday I felt great but the hamstring was sore in the area of my pull. PT guys were not alarmed but want me to do a longer spin on the trainer and see how it feels. So I think that is what is on tap for Friday morning. I then have a appointment with my Dr. for him to re-evaluate my hamstring and get a progress report from him. The main PT guy and I agree that I am probably at 50-60% of where I need to be to be back at a full training capacity. So hopefully that means I can get a couple more PT sessions under my belt and keep moving forward.

I also plan on getting back to the gym this up coming week. Hopefully getting back in the pool to start working back to some type of swimming fitness. It has been quite a while since I put in some serious pool time so I am looking forward to getting back to it.

So basically I am at the point of doing suuupppper short runs, easy peasy spins on the trainer, some back-to-basics swimming and if I am lucky some weight work and PT sessions.

2008-02-07 7:51 AM

User image

Elite
    West Allis, Wisconsin

glad to hear everyone is well or at least on the way to recovery.  i've been swimming about 3 times a week working on drills mainly.  upped my bike and run output this week and that is going well.  well be lifting and biking today and tomorrow is swimming and a short run.  saturday's plan is biking on the stationary bike and a longer run..............one thing i have been trying to get a handle on is my weight.  was losing like mad and now it seems to be stabilizing at about 149-150 lbs or so.  i can live with that i guess.

2008-02-07 10:36 AM
    in reply to: #1198373

User image

Pro
    Libertyville, IL

mndiver - 2008-02-06 9:11 PM Whats up peeps.  Had kind of a tough day work-out wise.  Feet were sore for some reason and I'm trying to heal 3 blisters between my toes.  Decided to just take a rest day from running today.  Swim should have been great on fresh legs and no work-out.  Nope, felt tired and legs were very heavy in kicking drills.  Guess some days are just down days.

I have been discussing some of this with djdavey this AM regarding listening to the body.  As you are doing MOO as well (though this applies to any distance really) it is imperative to develop a mutual respect between yourself and your body.  It is easy to fall into the trap of missing a workout(s) and then trying to compensate or deride yourself mentally.  Its better to be honest with yourself when you feel you need the rest.  Twice last summer I got to my overbiked stage where I had to put er down for a week or two on the saddle.  You will know if you hit that cuz you cant manufacture jack for power and your bike makes you feel like puking.  Ok, maybe not the second one, but definitely the first.  Yes, we all have down days, but its figuring out and maybe treating yourself, on some days that you are better off taking the rest.  Learn that point well, but dont string a bunch of days together and get into the daytime soaps or anything

2008-02-07 10:38 AM
    in reply to: #1198623

User image

Pro
    Libertyville, IL

JChristoff - 2008-02-07 7:40 AM I'm just working through PT. I did a easy 2mile run on Tuesday... Come Wednesday I felt great but the hamstring was sore in the area of my pull. PT guys were not alarmed but want me to do a longer spin on the trainer and see how it feels. So I think that is what is on tap for Friday morning. I then have a appointment with my Dr. for him to re-evaluate my hamstring and get a progress report from him. The main PT guy and I agree that I am probably at 50-60% of where I need to be to be back at a full training capacity. So hopefully that means I can get a couple more PT sessions under my belt and keep moving forward. I also plan on getting back to the gym this up coming week. Hopefully getting back in the pool to start working back to some type of swimming fitness. It has been quite a while since I put in some serious pool time so I am looking forward to getting back to it. So basically I am at the point of doing suuupppper short runs, easy peasy spins on the trainer, some back-to-basics swimming and if I am lucky some weight work and PT sessions.

Way to keep at it.  Patience is key here.  My shoulder if finally feeling strong after a year after my incident last Dec. 

2008-02-07 10:51 AM

User image

Elite
    West Allis, Wisconsin

what happened last december?

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jszat's Group- full Rss Feed  

of 11