BT Development Mentor Program Archives » willie05's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-03-26 10:22 PM
in reply to: #1094615

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: willie05's Group - Closed
Funny you should mention the computrainer. I got on one last week as well. I found out that both my right and left leg do about the same work, but I am a pusher. I really need to work on pulling through my pedel stroke.

The reason I got on the computrainer was to try and find my most powerful position on the bike. What bought this up was a big big mistake I made.

The Guru rep was visiting my local bike shop and I took out a Crono for a few miles. OMG, the ride was nothing short of incredible. I want one!!! Now all I need to do is figure out how to swing the $8,000 for the bike. Don't think that is going to happen. Anyway, I wanted to try and mimic the feel I felt on the Guru on my bike. I've since gotten over it. My advice, don't test ride a top of the line bike you can not afford.

2008-03-28 5:40 PM

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
Question on the swim - I've been doing TI drills and my stroke has improved tremendousely but I still get winded doing multiple laps (75's and 100's)
Is that a problem of lack of endurance or am I missing something on my technique?
2008-03-30 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1300770

User image

Veteran
it is really tough to answer your question without seeing you swim. Remember that swimming more so then running and biking is about form. so you are doing the right thing by working on the drills. I think the best thing to do is work with a coach. My coach told me she had a few women that had no swim experience swimming 1500 yards in a few weeks. A coach will be able to watch your stroke and give you specific drills to get you were you want to be. Keep working on it, sounds like you are doing great.
2008-03-31 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Wendy - looking at your log, I can understand still getting winded.  It'll come with time, and lots more laps!  Try to keep up with at least 3 swims a week to see improvement.  As you continue to do more drills and extend the length of each set and total time in the water you'll start feeling better.   The TI book is good for technique, but I don't think the drills in the book are very good for building endurance. 

There are very good swim sessions by Kevin Koskella here on the site that start at 700 and go up from there up .  They're a good combination to increase endurance and speed.  Here are the first two:

700: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1154

Example:

Day 1
Warm Up: 200, alternate kick/swim by 50. Kick on your side
Drill: 4x50’s, Shark Fin, rest 0:15 between 50’s
Main: 4x50’s Distance Per Stroke- focus on stretching out long strokes.  How many strokes does it take to get to the end of the pool?
Warm Down: 100, breathe every 3 strokes

1250:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1175

Example:

Day 1
Warm Up: 300, every 3rd length kick on your side. Alternate Right Side/Left Side per kicking length.
Drill: 6x50’s, Odds: Shark Fin, Evens: Swim with Fists. Rest 0:15 between 50’s
Main: 8x50’s Distance Per Stroke- focus on stretching out long strokes
1x150: Build to 85% effort. Pay attention to stroke technique.
Warm Down: 100, breathe every 3 strokes

I agree that a coach would certainly be a big benefit as well, especially if you don't feel much improvement within the next couple of weeks.

Edited by willie05 2008-03-31 8:00 AM
2008-03-31 2:39 PM

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
Thanks, that helps a lot. Like you said, the TI book stresses technique over endurance - I was beginning to wonder where I went wrong since I was getting winded (and the book said it would become effortless)
2008-04-02 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1305502

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

wswope - 2008-03-31 3:39 PM Thanks, that helps a lot. Like you said, the TI book stresses technique over endurance - I was beginning to wonder where I went wrong since I was getting winded (and the book said it would become effortless)

I was thinking more about this while I was swimming this morning.  Another way to improve is to cut down on the rest between your 100s.  If you wait until you completely have your breath back, then you've waited too long.  You should try to get your rest down to no more than 15 secs between each for any distances up to 200.  If it's longer than that now, do it gradually over a couple of sessions.  

When you get up to 500 yd sets (yes you will!), then I would give it a 30 sec rest.

2008-04-07 2:48 PM
in reply to: #1310077

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
I just bought a Body Glove wetsuit and am now second guessing myself - is there a specific type that is best for the swim?
2008-04-07 3:32 PM
in reply to: #1321396

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

wswope - 2008-04-07 3:48 PM I just bought a Body Glove wetsuit and am now second guessing myself - is there a specific type that is best for the swim?
What model did you get?  I thought they only made surfing wetsuits, I didn't know that they made swimming wetsuits.

Let us know what it is and we can check it out!

2008-04-08 7:34 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Wendy - I just had a look on Body Glove's website, and I don't see any swimming wetsuits.  I don't know all the differences between swimming and surfing wetsuits, but off the top of my head two that I know of are that swimming wetsuits are thicker and give you more buoyancy, and they also allow for better arm movement above your head.

Here's an article that gives you the basics of wetsuits:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=97

2008-04-08 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Well guys... Sunday is the day. My first triathlon. I am doing the south beach tri. It is a short Olympic. 1/2 mile swim, 18 bike, 4 run.

I am looking forward to it. I am a little scared about the run. i'll let everyone know how it goes...

-S
2008-04-08 5:33 PM
in reply to: #1324461

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
Good luck dude! we're rootin' for ya

2008-04-08 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1322780

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
OK - I bought the wrong one - I'll return it tomorrow - - just glad I asked!!
Apparently swimming in our glacial water in Idaho is not real popular. I went to the site you suggested - then the link - and I arranged for a rental for my tri next week.
You can even apply the rental fee to your first purchase - it'll give me time to shop.

Thanks again!
2008-04-09 2:52 PM
in reply to: #1324461

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

snowriderinfl - 2008-04-08 5:34 PM Well guys... Sunday is the day. My first triathlon. I am doing the south beach tri. It is a short Olympic. 1/2 mile swim, 18 bike, 4 run. I am looking forward to it. I am a little scared about the run. i'll let everyone know how it goes... -S
Good luck!  Soak in the experience and enjoy it! 

Couple things I learned that help are to relax your legs and glide in the swim for the last 25-50 yards or so.  Towards the end of the bike, make sure you drink lots, spin your legs a little faster (at a lower gear) and even stand up a bit to stretch your legs.  I also start off a bit easier on the run as I get my legs back, then start pushing.

2008-04-10 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Since we were talking wetsuits, I thought I would post this article from Bikesport out of Detroit.  Very valuable advice on how to put one on!

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/Wetsuit_Demo.shtml

After you read this, take some time to explore their website, it's an excellent resource.  It's packed with how to articles, training and advice.

2008-04-11 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Hey Steven

Good luck. It'll go fast.

Mark
2008-04-11 4:04 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Been a while since I've posted. Good luck this weekend snowrider, and to you to in a week's time wswope.

Snowrider - I'll be really interested to hear what kind of heart rate zone / pace you fall under during the bike and run portions. I'm still trying to figure out just how hard you should go on the day of the race, so that you don't burn out early, but also don't have too much left when you're done.

I've got till June 1 for my first one, and still trying to figure out how to do everything faster!!

Good Luck.

Squishy

2008-04-13 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Well, I did it!!! I finished my first tri. I learned a lot. I had a great day except that i stated the day with a calf injury so my run was poor and not in line with the rest of the day.

The race was the south beach triathlon. A short olympic. 1/2 mile swim, 19 mile bike, 4 mile run.
My swim and bike were strong (for my first time) and I am was just glad to finish the run.

The swim was a beach start (not good for my calf) so I did not sprint into the water but went in with the middle of my heat. My time was 15:42, which is about a 2:00/100. While I was not the fastest in my bracket, it was up there. I past quite a few people and even caught a few from early heats. Exiting the water was also tough, it was the only part of the day that I was not smiling. Oh, and the water temp was 78.2 so no wet suit. EDIT: I was just thinking about my swim time. My pace had to have been faster then I stated. After looking at my transition time, I don't think the swim time ended until I entered the transition area. I did not run to the transition area, it had to have taken me at least a minute or two to get there... Just thinking about the race and thought I would add that in...

I felt my bike was strong. The top in my age group beat me by 5 minutes. My time was apporx 56 minutes, which averaged out to just under 21mph. We had to climb over 6 causeway overpasses so there was a bit of climbing. I maxed out my HR at 188 beats a minute, but I am not sure where. I think it was when I first got on the bike. My average HR for the ride was 165. I know I was riding at speeds up to 23-24 mph on some of the faster sections (not down hill, i got going much faster on those). I did have a couple of mishaps on the bike. I lost all my nutrition for the ride when I hit a bump at high speed. I trained and set up to use Hammer Extended energy (which i turned into a paste) every 15-20 minutes. Well, I reached for my flask and it was not there. I know the tank started to run low the last few miles. Luckily I had some gel put away for the run. My second mishap was almost a dangerous one. I rode into the dismount area too fast and prepared for a flying dismount. I saw the line, unclicked my pedals, and swung my right leg over the bike and prepared to jump off. Just as I was approaching the point I wanted to dismount the guy in front of me came to a complete stop so I i had to jump off and slam on my breaks. My feet hit the ground, it was like hitting ice and my feet slide right out in front of me. I never let go of my handle bars so I came down hard on my butt (my bike never touched the ground). I got a huge groan from the spectators (that was kind of cool in a sick kind of way).

The run was slow, I averaged out at 11:00 min pace. I could not run faster because I of my injured calf. I did find someone to talk with for 3 out of the 4 miles. I tried to picked up the pace last mile, but that was a mistake, my calf really really started to hurt. I tell you what, it sort of sucked to see all the people I pasted in the swim and bike flying past me on the run. Oh well, I was injured, but I did finish my first tri and that is an accomplishment.

My biggest take away and advice I can give is to walk the exits and entrances to the T1 and T2. I found a big pot hole in the grass on the bike exit that was not marked. It was an ankle breaker. I did tell the officials about it.

I can't wait until my next race!!!!!

Edited by snowriderinfl 2008-04-14 6:19 AM
2008-04-14 11:58 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Fantastic job - congrats. I'm really impressed with your bike time, you were flying. I didn't know what 21mph worked out to in kmh, and then I saw that it's over 33kmh. At present, I can only dream about going that fast.

Too bad about the calf, hopefully it will be all healed up and ready to go for the next race.

Question on your bike portion. Although your HR was around 165, how did the legs feel while you were riding. Did you feel it in the muscles all the time, did you have sections where you were just cruising, etc. I'm still pretty confused about how hard you should mash the gears, but still have legs left.

Squishy
2008-04-14 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Congrats!  Great job with finishing - especially with that calf and your mishaps!  The two best things to take away from your first race are the pride of the accomplishment, and the experience that you'll put to good use next time.

You're right about the swim - the time always includes the run into transition so it's tough to compare the time against you're training.  The best is just to compare yourself against everyone else.  Plus the yardage doesn't always seem to be accurate....

2008-04-14 4:01 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Bob - did you ever consider swimming with your forerunner under your swim cap? I've seen that posted in quite a few places, and one person had some very cool map shots they were able to show. I'm thinking about it for my first tri, just so I have the complete data from the swim to go with the other two portions.

Squishy
2008-04-14 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Well done Steven. Triathlete!

For me the first finish felt like both big accomplishment and a big motivator for more because of all the things you know you can do better in the future.

Mark

2008-04-14 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
squishy,

While my average HR was 165, I think my rate was in the lower 160's for most of the ride. I hit my peak HR of 188 when I first got on the bike. For some reason I just wanted to go, so I stood up and really sprinted out of the transition. I think I was feeling a rush from passing everyone struggling in to get going on the bike. It was NOT part of my game plan. I also got my HR up after the climbs because I really pushed hard on the down hills. I think what drove my HR up was when I approached the top of the hill I shifted toward my big gear, so I really needed to push hard to clear the top of the hill, but it allowed me to start to sprint and get my speed and momentum back as soon as I cleared the hill. I don't know if this is a good thing to do or not. I am going to need to talk to some roadies to find out.

As far as my legs, I really did not notice them until the last few miles. My gluts and hamstrings really started to burn and I was loosing power. This might have been because I did not have any nutrition with me and I was an hour into the race.

What you could do is do a time trial ride for the distance you plan to race. Push yourself and see what you have left at the end. Another thing is see if you can find a group to ride with. That really worked well for me. Every time I got pushed by another rider I found I had much more then I thought I did. I had a huge break through a few weeks ago during a 2 1/2 hour ride. The first half of the ride I thought I was pushing hard and was only maintaining about 20mph. Then on the way home a rider on a tri-bike passed me going really fast. I decided to see if I could keep up and caught up to him at the next light. After that he could not drop me. I think he was trying to because he looked back a few times ( if figure to see if I was there). I kept about 100 yards behind him so I was not drafting. The few times I looked at my computer we were going 23-24 mph. Even though there was a tail wind it gave me some major confidence.
2008-04-15 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Hey Squishy -

I have heard of wearing the forerunner in the swim cap, but I haven't considered doing it.  If you want to do that, be sure you try it first during your training to get used to.  I'm sitting here pressing it down on my head, and it's not nearly as uncomfortable as I thought it would be!  Swim caps bug the heck out of me, so I probably wouldn't notice it at all.\

Saying that, I'm not sure if it adds that much value.  For one, I think it would be a distraction running out of the water, pulling off the cap and goggles, and making sure you don't drop the watch.  Then, you'll need to switch it from multisport to biking at some point in the transition (I have enough trouble just hitting the start button - I forgot to in my first race!).

You'll be adding the swim length and time, but during the race if you come up with a different time and distance than the official measurements, it doesn't really matter.  All that matters during the race is the official time and your place! 

More importantly is your question about pacing during the race.  For swimming, I start off easy to get my breath and get into a rhythm - especially with all the others around you.  Once I'm comfortable, I just concentrate on my technique and let the pace take care of itself.  If I think too much of the buoys and how far I have to go I get all depressed!  So I literally take it one stroke at a time and before I know it, I'm coming to the end.

An important point - if you're on beach type finish, like most races, keep swimming until your hands touch the bottom.  Don't start running before that - you'll needlessly tire your legs out.  I'm amazed at how many people I swim by as they're trying to run in the water.

For the bike, my legs always start out cold and tight after being in the water.  I take it easy for the first mile or so, keeping my cadence up, but not at a high gear, and drinking.  Within about 5 mins, hopefully my legs will be warm, and I start punching up the gears.  My goal during the bike is to be smooth and fast.  I don't worry about saving anything for the run, but just keep it steady without mashing the pedals.  If I mash, I'm going to tire my legs out.  Keep the cadence steady at 90, don't strain, and you'll be just fine.

Once I start the run after biking, I always start faster than a normal run.  Your legs are used to going fast, and they'll keep going.  I try to ease into a slower pace, then gradually pick it back up, until I'm pushing all out for the last bit.  Nothing to save it for now!

I had a look at your logs - your April 3rd brick is spot on.  Keep practicing your bricks every couple of weeks and you'll know exactly what to do!

2008-04-15 6:21 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Thanks for the feedback Bob - going to try another brick this Sunday.

One comment on doing the triathlon, did you not use the auto-multisport? You just set it up in advance and hit the lap button for each stage of the race. Come out of the water - hit lap - records T1 - hit lap when you get on the bike, etc. (That's what's so disappointing about the 405 - no multisport).

I'm definetly going to try it out in open water when I get the chance, but if you do decide to give it a shot, make sure you put it in a ziplock baggie before going under the cap (so I've read).

Squishy
2008-04-16 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I'll be interested to hear how you like using it for the swim.

To be honest, I didn't know about setting it up for the multisport like that.  I guess once I figured out how to set it for bike and run, I never went back to look at some of the more advanced features.  Just last week I accidentally found out how to see different screens than the standard one!  I'll definitely try out the multisport setting.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » willie05's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 10