Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-12-11 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: willie05's Group - Closed

Name: willie05 / Bob

Story: I finally woke up after Christmas, 2006 and decided I needed to do something to get back in shape.  I hated the pictures of myself from my 40th birthday a couple months before and from Christmas.  I was busting out of my 36's, and on New Year's Day I weighed in at 210. Surprised  I was not pleased, so I started exercising at home some, but by the middle of the month, I remembered some long ago dream of running a triathlon.  After a quick search, I found the BT site and started on the Beginner's Exercise Program with a goal of dropping down to 180 (30 lbs!) by the end of July, and running my first triathlon in August. 

Well I loved every minute of it!  I never was a runner - I hated it.  I loved to swim and bike, but hadn't done those in years.  But by following the program and being consistent, I was seeing results much faster than I expected!   I ended up losing over 45 lbs - down to the mid 160's!  And instead of needing to buy 38's, I had to buy 32's!  Cool

Family Status - I've been married over 12 years now, and we have two daughters who are 10 and 7.  As with a lot of people here, it's important for me to balance work, family and training.  Virtually all of my training is early morning and at lunch time.  That leaves my evenings to be with my family just as if I wasn't training at all.  (I just wish I didn't have to be in to work at 0730!)

Current Training - I scaled back my training quite a bit during November.  Some due to being sick, some due to this busy time for work, and some just to give myself a breather.  The last thing I want to do is burnout.  However, this "relaxation" is quickly coming to an end and I'm itching to get going right now!  So I'm starting up an Olympic training program. 

2007 Races - I did a couple 5k's as training runs to get experience being in races.  Then I did 2 Sprint Triathlons on my mountain bike.  I was 2nd in my first race, and I won the mountain bike division in my second race.  The training and consistency - and having fun along the way - really paid off!

2008 Races - This year I'm planning on a combination of Sprints and Olympics.  I'd also like to do a long distance bike ride or two either on my mountain bike, or a road bike.  Since I don't have to spend as much time getting fit, I'll be able to kick off the race season much earlier, so I'm planning to do 5-6 triathlons plus various running events throughout the year.  One of the keys is for me to get a road bike - and soon!

Weightloss - I'm happy with my weight now in the mid 160's, but by the time the summer hits, I'll be back down to the low 160's.  So my goal is to build better muscle tone!  Isn't that everybody's goal??

What will make me a good mentor - I learned a lot this past year being in a group twice led by TriOK.  We built up a good group and we have lots of fun encouraging each other and following each other's training and races.  The key to these groups is lots of talking and learning from each other.  That's what I'll be sure to pass on.

My philosophy is that to have success with the training and races is to enjoy training and be consistent.  They are intertwined - when you enjoy training, you're more likely to be consistent.  When you're consistent, you'll improve and enjoy it more.  I don't get stressed out over missing a workout, I move on.  But I also don't let missing workouts become a habit.  I love being out on my bike, or in the water - and even in my running shoes!  So I make sure I do them whenever I can! Smile

Edited by willie05 2007-12-27 7:58 AM

2007-12-18 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1094615

User image

Subject: RE: willie05's Group - OPEN
**sniff**  I am so proud!
2007-12-18 11:22 AM
in reply to: #1107796

User image

Expert
Bob the mentor!!!!! I love it....
2007-12-18 2:43 PM

User image

Upstate NY

Hi Bob,

I'd like to join your group. Your story really resonated with me. Somehow you've managed to incorporate training in with your busy life including family and a career. Something I've tried to do unsuccessfully in the past, so I'd love to learn how you did it. I'm a true beginner who needs to lose some weight and get in shape for the upcoming roller derby bout season. So in addition to biking, swimming and running, I'll be doing some skating too.

Annie

2007-12-19 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Hey Annie!

Welcome to the group!  I'm definitely looking forward to having a good group of folks this year, it can be a lot of fun - and motivating!

Good luck with the roller derby - that's really cool!  Medusa Ann, in my friends list, is also planning on doing that.

One thing I found over this past year was that once I made training for triathlons my main focus and weightloss secondary, it made losing weight easier!  Sounds odd, but by focusing on the training, and keeping consistent, the weight had to come off.  Plus once I lost the weight, I kept on training for the races, so my weight didn't climb back up like it had done in past years once I hit my weight goal.

2007-12-19 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

Just lurking to quickly say...Bob will be a great mentor!!!! He was a member of my last mentor group and knows his stuff! Very upbeat and encouraging as well!!! You'll love him!!!!

2007-12-20 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Hi Bob

I'd like to join your mentor group. I'm not sure how much to share at this point, so I'll share a little about why I'm into tri and a little about me.

I got interested in triathlons about 2.5 years ago hoping it would help me stay motivated to lose weight and get into shape if I had a goal to complete a race. I was able to lose about 40 lbs and participated in 2 sprint distance races this past summer. Now I'm hooked. I am hoping to complete 3-4 sprint distances and at least one olympic distance race next summer. I have been using the 20 week winter maintenance plan available thru BT so far this off season. I am looking to get to know some new people and learn from their experiences. Plus, while my wife is supportive, she's not all that interested in hearing about my training schedule, times, etc. Her eyes kind of glaze over after a couple minutes, so it'll be nice to have a place to share some of this.

As for me personally, I am a 43 yo married father of 3 daughters - 13, 11 & 7. I serve as the Clinical Director for an addiction treatment program. Outside of time with family, work and training, I don't do a lot else. I live in Iowa, so try to take advantage of winter activities for cross-training, like cross-country skiing.

I'm looking forward to the learning and comaraderie.

Mark

2007-12-21 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Hey Mark!

Welcome to our small, but growing group!  The 1st paragraph pretty much sums up my year for 2007!  I'll look forward to sharing stories and learning from each other as we all get more into the triathlons over the coming months!

Bob

2007-12-23 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks

Bob, you got room in here for a runner?

Name: El Flaco-- Jase

Story: I have been a runner since HS. I have always enjoyed running. I race on a local team here in the Wichita area. A couple of my teammates are also into triathlons. After much prodding they talked me into getting a road bike. I purchased my bike in Nov. '05. And started training for a Century Ride held in Aug.  After the first time on the bike I was hooked. I loved being on my bike almost as much as I loved running. After the ride in Aug. the guys decided I needed to give triathlons a try.  So I did my first tri in April of '06. In 2006 I think I did about 6 or 7 triathlons. I even qualified for USAT Age-Group Nationals. It was held in KC. So I went and had a horrible experience. I wasn't trained for an oly distance open water swim. In 2007 I had no "A" triathlon I just did all of the ones I could get into. I think what keeps bringing me back is my competitive fire. I love to pass and beat people! I am a very competitive person. I actually gave up racing motocross to start racing in triathlons!

Family Status: I just recently married the love of my life. Dec 15 to be exact. We have dated since April of '97.  We have a 2 yr old daughter. My wife is very understanding and supportive. Some days she is the reason I actually get out the door to train. "What your not going to run tonight? I don't want to here it when so and so beat you in the race!" She is awesome!

Current Training: I ran the Dallas Whiterock Marathon in early Dec. so my training right now is basically nothing.  I'm taking a little break to let my body and mind relax. It seems like I have been on full throttle since early spring. Feels good to take a break but I know I can't relax very long or the competition will pass me by.

2007 Races: I actually raced less this year than I have in the past. I run about every running race in the area. I think I participated in 4 or 5 triathlons. I can't remember the exact amount. I would have to look it up. My main goal for 2007 was to go under three hours in the marathon. I came close running a 3:04 in Dallas.

2008 Goals: My tentative plans are to focus on The Redman Triathlon in Sept. It is an iron distance event. I plan on racing Ironman Kansas 70.3 in June as a tune up for Redman! Other than that I'm not going to plan on much as I believe that is a couple big races. Having only completed one oly distance event I think I will be taking a big step to these distances. I'm sure I won't be able to pass up running in the local running races!

Needs: Aren't we all a little needy? All I'm looking for is a little camaraderie and people to share triathlon experiences with. I have some knowledge when it comes to running so I would be happy to share what I know. It's always neat to log on and see that somebody has inspired you! I decided to join a group so I could meet people and pick up and pass on some encouragement along the way!

Lookin' forward to being in your group and getting to know some other TRIATHLETES!

Jase

2007-12-24 10:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Bob,

Got room for one more?

As I was reading your bio it really struck a fimilar cord. My story is similar to yours. I am turning 40 tomorrow, and I woke up six months ago and could not believe how much weight I had gained. Between my daughter being born 2 1/2 years ago and tearing my Achilles not long before then, it was a recipe for weight gain. I topped out at 197 on my 5'-7" frame. So I joined a gym and over the past 5 months I have lost over 30 lbs and I am now down to 164. A few months ago I finally made the decision to do what has been in the back of my mind for years. So, I made the commitment to myself and here I am. I have not been entering anything into the logs (yet) but have been working on building a base.

My experience. I swam in high school, and I used to mountain bike race when I lived in the north east in my 20's. I don't have any running experience other then the running I have been doing the past few months. I did read Chi Running and the ideas seemed to have helped me. Biking: I used to ride a mountain bike and was really good on the technical stuff, but could not spin to save my life. I had never been on a road bike before I recently bought my new trek. I have really been enjoying riding and I think it can potentially be a strength for me. As far as swimming, I just learned the total immersion stroke, and cant believe the difference. Even though I am not yet in good swim shape, if I really concentrate i have gotten my stroke count bellow 15 for 25 yards. Overall I think I have a lot to learn and a long way to go.

My Goals. I might have bitten off more then I can chew, but I have set my sights on two olympic distances this year. I have allready signed up for St. Anthony's and NYC. I really want to do a sprint before these. Beyond these, I guess I want to see what happens.

I am married and have one daughter, 2 1/2. I am in sales and have a large territory. I cover the southern part of the west coast of florida. My training so far has been early morning and again at the end of the day when I can work it around work and family obligations.

Anyways I look forward to learning from you and everyone else.

-Steven

2007-12-25 11:03 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Hi Bob,

Hoping to join your group. I'm 35, married, with a 3 year old, and a desire to get into triathlons. I did a couple of Try a Tri's in 2007, and very quickly realized that I was in some trouble. Even after trying to prepare I finished way back in my age group - swimming is a complete struggle, and by the time the run started I was emotionally and physically wrecked. So....I decided to try and do Sprint distances in 2008.

I've weight trained on and off for the past few years, but never did any cradio training so even getting ready for the Try a Tri's was a shock to the system and I dropped about 10 lbs. I feel I'm a bit like putty as I need to be molded into a swimmer, cyclist, and runner all at the same time.

I've signed up for some swimming sessions beginning in January and am hoping that apart from getting in laps, I'll also get some coaching to help with my form. I currently struggle to complete 4-500 meters. I'll also be looking to join a local cycling club to spend time with stronger riders. As for running - I hate it, and am just thinking negatively when I run, so I need to get over the physical and mental aspects involved in this discipline.

In summary, I'm looking to join your group for some inspiration, tips, and to be part of a group that will help me overcome my obstacles and reach my goals.

Squishy

2007-12-26 9:55 AM

User image

Rochester, New York
Name: rjdorman/Bob

Story: I had an epiphany of sorts back in June 06, when i decided to track my cals/exercise with a PDA program call diet & exercise assistant. Over the next 9 months I lost about 70 lbs. and completed my first 2 5K races. Didn't finish very well, but finsihed just the same. Since then, I wanted to do a triathlon, and decided on a sprint in 7/07. After getting over the "I'm going to drown" feeling in the open water swim, I managed to suprise myself & actually finish, and then I was bitten by the bug. I finished 2 more sprints & now I am in the winter maintenance mode, hoping to start the olympic distance training mode soon.

Family Status - I've been married over 11 years, have one 3-year old at home 7 need to balance work, family & training (like everyone else).

Current Training - Currently in winter maintenance mode. Will start olympic training at the 20 week mark (shooting to do Tri in the Buff (Buffalo, NY) on 7/6/08).

2007 Races - One 5K, 3 sprint distance tris.

2008 Races - May try a long distance bike & would love to do a half marathon. Focusing more on the olympic distance tri - will see how the first goes and then maybe go for some more.

Weightloss - Have gained back almost 40 lbs over the last 9 months, so love to get back to the high 160s which was my lowest in 3/07.

2007-12-26 9:59 AM

User image

Royersford, PA
Hi Bob, I'm hoping there's room in here for me? I was late in signing up for the last two BT mentoring programs and by the time I got around to it, all of the groups were full.

I have been actively using BT for the past 6 months or so and I would have to say that I definitely personify more of the "beginner" rather than the "triathlete" at this point.

I'm 31 y/o, been married for 8 years. I have a 6 y/o daughter and 2 y/o son. I was always very active in my younger days, but once I got married and had kids, my activity level dropped off completely, also I'm a desk jockey at work so after a while I began to put on weight and my fitness level basically disappeared.

At my worst, I was about 185lbs on a 5'6'' frame. I've been running pretty consistenly for the past 6 months and have gotten down to 168lbs. I have taken it very slowly and I'm feeling pretty good with my running, and I feel like I'm ready to take the next step in my training towards tri'ing...but I feel like I could use some direction. I'm hoping to do at least one sprint tri next year and eventually my ultimate goal is an olympic distance tri in the next couple of years.

I don't have much experience to share but I will definelty do my best to encourage everyone in the group. I am hoping that I can benefit from the training and race experience of the others in the group, which will lead me down the path towards accomplishing my goal of becoming a triathlete.

2007-12-26 12:55 PM

User image

Central New Hampshire
Willie,

I'd like to join up with your group.

Story: I turned 40 last summer, was slugging around at 207 lbs. I've totally regained control of my fitness and nutrition and am now down to 168 and in the best shape of my life. I work out every day and am looking to expand my horizons a bit in my training. I like to run, bike, and swim, so I thought a Tri-Sprint would be a good start. I am registered for a Sprint Tri in August 2008. I've never done anything like this before but I am fired up to start.

Fam Status: Married for 15+ years, 4 boys, ages 12 to 5

Current Training: I am training with the P90X Extreme Training Program which includes resistance training, cardio routines, Kenpo Karate, Yoga, Core work, and Jump training. I also am running and doing light Kettlebell workouts.

2008 Races: Registered for a Sprint Tri in August. Plan on running 5K's and 10K's throughout the spring, summer, and fall.

Needs: A bike. I need advice on a beginner bike that won't totally kill the pocketbook. My goal now isn't to win any events, but is to finish and do the best I can. I am open to any advice and support.
2007-12-26 5:54 PM

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
I'd like to join your group as I can identify with the whole work/play/train balance.
I am a 47 year old female - I backpack, cross-country ski and snoeshoe (this time of year). I live in Teton Valley Idaho and really enjoy the mountains.
This winter I hit the gym to do the couch to 5k - and I'm there now, and I'm currently training for an indoor sprint in Feb.
I need help losing weight and gaining endurance - and that sounds like what you have figured out.
2007-12-26 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
I wonder if Bob has went AWOL! Bob please come back, we need you!!!!

2007-12-26 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1117686

User image

Upstate NY

Maybe he went away for the holidays? Here's hoping anyway.We've got a good size group going now and I think I'm finally not the only female. Are we supposed to add each other to our friends list? I think I read that somewhere. Did anyone do this last time that knows?

Annie

2007-12-27 6:55 AM

User image

Veteran
I am new to this, so I am not sure what we need to do. Anyways, looking forward to getting to know everyone.

2007-12-27 7:54 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Hey everyone - sorry I was out of touch there for a few days!  It's a crazy time of year for work - which has now settled down, so that limited me somewhat to doing much posting in December.  Then the internet connection was giving us trouble, so I wasn't able to post from home, but that's fixed now. 

Looks like we have a really good group, so we'll should be able to have lots of discussion and learning from each other.

My own training went right down the tubes that last week.  Unfortunately I gave in to all the candy and cookies that kept making their way into our home.  So it's time for me to get back on track!

One topic I thought about last night while walking the puppies was what are the obstacles that you need to overcome to train and race?   It seems that there are a couple types - your own mental obstacles to get started and keep going, and the practical aspects (i.e. time, location, etc).

The decision to start training and keep at it after a few weeks (if you haven't done any training in a while) may be the toughest.  That's where the encouragement from family and friends and from everyone here at BT really helps.  I get what I would call lukewarm support from home, so the BT crowd really helped me last year, and continues to!

The time constraint is also important.  I wouldn't get any training done if I tried in the evenings, so I do all my training early morning and at lunch time.  I got into a pretty good routine of swimming or running in the mornings (and sometimes biking), and biking at lunchtime.  Now with winter I haven't gotten back into a good routine yet, but that will definitely come next week!  So that is my number one constraint right now.

What are all your training plans over the coming weeks? 

And a little off topic - Any good Holiday stories??  Our number one present to our daughters was tickets to the Hannah Montana concert next Friday! Surprised  Wish me luck!

2007-12-27 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: willie05's Group - Closed

I should have said welcome to everyone who's joined!  I'm looking forward to all of our conversations! 

We have a great group, so I went ahead and closed it.  In general these groups work great in two ways.  The first is through this forum where we can all post questions and general talk about training or anything else, and we can all give each other advice from our own experience and what we've learned from others.

You'll learn a lot not just from this forum, but from the other groups, and the Triathlon Talk threads.  I've gotten great advice from there.  And I also learned pretty early on that I wasn't the only one looking for advice!

The other way is through the inspires.  That's where you go have a look at each other's logs and hit the inspire link to give encouragement or ask questions specifically to that person.  One hint I would give on those is if you reply to an inspire that someone left you, use the blog button rather than reply.  That will put your response back in their log and make it easier for them to see.

I would also encourage you to use your training log if you haven't started already.  That's the best way for all of us to see what you're up to and encourage you, but more than that, use it to keep track of your own progress.

To make it easy to see each other's logs, you can go ahead add us all to your friends list.  That will create the links in your log so you can go straight to anyone else's log you've added.  To do that, go the control panel icon (the one that looks like a gear), not the word "control panel", and hit the Friends tab.

So our group is:

willie05 - Bob

annievi - Annie

mdodd - Mark

El Flaco - Jase

snowriderinfl - Steven

squishybelly - Squishy (love that username!)

rjdorman - Bob

kweber - Karl

nhbuckeye

wswope

Good luck to everyone! Cool

2007-12-27 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1118133

User image

Royersford, PA
I'm really excited about getting to know everyone in the group...I have added everyone to my friends list, so feel free to check out my training log and share a little "inspiration"...I plan on doing the same.

By far, my biggest obstacle seems to be mental...mentally staying committed and motivated to train especially when I don't "feel" like it. Last night was a perfect example...10pm rolled around and I was so ready to just go to sleep...but my wife popped in a movie and I hopped on the treadmill...an hour later I felt awesome.

Another obstacle is the fact that I'm NOT a morning person...I usually roll out of bed at the last possible moment, grab a quick shower and go off to work. My goal for the next couple of weeks is to get to bed early and up early and off to the gym for an early morning workout before work.

One question for the group...I find that if I try to workout early, I feel like I don't have any energy...does anyone have any suggestions, maybe eating something right when you wake up to give you enough quick energy for a good workout?

2007-12-27 10:01 AM

User image

Rochester, New York
Obstacles that I need to overcome to train & race are confidence. I get into the open water swimming 7 feel like I'm going to drown. Every race (x3). Needless to say I don't, but the emotional stress is enough to throw me directly to the back of the pack. I feel like my other problem is speed. My pace for all of the events seems to be about the same & doesn't really change even with distance. 5K = 9-10 min/mile. 10K = 9-10 min/mile. 8-9 miles=9-10 min/mile. The same holds true for swim & bike. How do I get faster?

Over the next few weeks, after the weekend (going away), I plan on continuing with my winter maint plan.

My best holiday story: Santa brought my 3yo daughter a ukelele, which she proceeded to strum & regale us with a medley of Christmas songs on Christmas day, while sitting on a wall of building bricks she had built.

2007-12-27 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1118323

User image

Rochester, New York
I am a morning person, so I'm up at 0430 to go to the Y to workout. I don't eat until after my exercise, on the way to work I have a Clif Bar. After a while doing this, I find I have more energy during the day & actually feel more sluggish when I don't get my full morning workout.
2007-12-27 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1118323

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

kweber - 2007-12-27 10:45 AM I'm really excited about getting to know everyone in the group...I have added everyone to my friends list, so feel free to check out my training log and share a little "inspiration"...I plan on doing the same. By far, my biggest obstacle seems to be mental...mentally staying committed and motivated to train especially when I don't "feel" like it. Last night was a perfect example...10pm rolled around and I was so ready to just go to sleep...but my wife popped in a movie and I hopped on the treadmill...an hour later I felt awesome. Another obstacle is the fact that I'm NOT a morning person...I usually roll out of bed at the last possible moment, grab a quick shower and go off to work. My goal for the next couple of weeks is to get to bed early and up early and off to the gym for an early morning workout before work. One question for the group...I find that if I try to workout early, I feel like I don't have any energy...does anyone have any suggestions, maybe eating something right when you wake up to give you enough quick energy for a good workout?

Regarding eating first thing, I've heard a lot from both sides of this.  Personally I don't eat before I train in the morning, unless I'm going to go for an hour or more.  However I do eat and drink immediately afterwards.   People do it this way, and others eat first.  I think everyone has different needs and you need to see what works best for you.  Since your sluggish first thing, you should definitely try eating first and see if that helps.   I time my mid-morning snack (protein bar) about an hour before any training at lunch.  I absolutely need that or else I feel terrible at  that time.

No matter what you do before a workout, it's very important to eat and replenish yourself after a workout.  If your trying to lose weight, don't worry about adding calories at this time, you need the carbs and protein after a workout to repair and build strength.

2007-12-27 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1118370

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

rjdorman - 2007-12-27 11:01 AM Obstacles that I need to overcome to train & race are confidence. I get into the open water swimming 7 feel like I'm going to drown. Every race (x3). Needless to say I don't, but the emotional stress is enough to throw me directly to the back of the pack. I feel like my other problem is speed. My pace for all of the events seems to be about the same & doesn't really change even with distance. 5K = 9-10 min/mile. 10K = 9-10 min/mile. 8-9 miles=9-10 min/mile. The same holds true for swim & bike. How do I get faster? Over the next few weeks, after the weekend (going away), I plan on continuing with my winter maint plan. My best holiday story: Santa brought my 3yo daughter a ukelele, which she proceeded to strum & regale us with a medley of Christmas songs on Christmas day, while sitting on a wall of building bricks she had built.

I agree - open water swimming can be a real bear.  The only thing that helps with that is to practice it as much as you can - go jump in Lake Ontario all summer!  I don't do much around here, but I travel some for work, so I got in practice on some trips.  But then it's a whole new game once you have legs and arms all around you fighting for the same spot!  I just try to take it easy and remember my technique.  Definitely takes getting used to.

The best training I've done for improving my speed is intervals or strides.  I do at least one run a week that is filled with those, but definitely not every run.  I saw a great improvement in my times and how I recovered after runs once I started mixing those in.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » willie05's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 10