BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Vinnie´s Inspirational Group - Closed for members, open for lurkers! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2008-03-23 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1287282

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Vinnie´s Inspirational Group - Closed for members, open for lurkers!
Hi guys, I woke up early to check if the race reports were up!

I hope you 2 had a blast, let us know...And yes Brian, I am the guy on the far right with the trophy, no hat, and a white shirt.

Vinnie

2008-03-24 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1097021

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Subject: RE: Vinnie´s Inspirational Group - Closed for members, open for lurkers!
Hi all,
Well, today is the first day of my official training for the IMWI or IMMOO as is it sometimes called (because of all the cows in Wisconsin) I have decided to add 4 more weeks to the 20 week BT program to compensate for the 2 weeks of taper and recovery before and after the HIM and 2 additional weeks to get my running up to 1 hour. The first 2 weeks of the program are not much more than I have been doing, except for the run portions. I have been adding time slowly and if I continue with the pace I've been doing, I will be at 1 hour in two weeks. Plus, my summer running partner ( and inspiration ) has a 24 week program. I will adjust my schedule to hers once we start training together more during the summer. I'm not following her program because she has a private coach, she has one IM under her belt already and her goals are much loftier than mine. She hopes to qualify for Kona this year. I hope to finish.

Vinnie, training question. Due to the logistics of working and being a mom, until the summer when I'm off, I will have trouble getting in the bike hours during the week. Would it be OK to break up the bike time, so let's say I have a 2hour 30 minute ride. Could I do 1 hour spin in the AM and then 1 1/2 hour ride later, either outside or on the trainer? OR is that defeating the purpose.

And yet another training question. The BT plan has a few workouts with very short bike and then a long run. My friend thought that very odd. I know brick workouts usually combine a long bike with a short run. What is the benefit of doing a "backwards brick" for lack of a better term.

Thanks,
Susie
2008-03-25 4:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi Susie, thanks for the update,

On the training Questions:

Double bikes: There is the perfect world, and the real world! Seriously, you can only play with the cards you are dealt with, so if you have to do double bikes to fit in the volume, no problem at all. ACTUALLY, double bike days is used A LOT by the elite triathletes, we used to do them pretty much every week, but the idea is different, in the first session we would do something to tire our legs out, and for the second session, the main set on tired legs, NOTHING improves you so much than training tired, so even though for ENDURANCE 1x2h sessions is better than 2x1h sessions, for overall fitness and strenght, is the other way around, so jump on the bike twice a day and you will get more than you think.

Bricks: Long Bike and short runs are really not used that much out there, I see no benefit in this, i either suggest going long-long, long-short or even short-short, but not likely short-long, and is a BIG hassle, and from your post on being tight in avaiable time for each session due to kids, work, etc, I would likelly focus it all on the run or the bike, once you feel ready to run again a 2h run is much more specif than a 45' ride+1h15'run

Hope that helps more than confuses you

Vinnie

2008-03-25 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Thanks Vinnie,
No problem being tired for a second bike ride in the late afternoon. A 5:30 am spin, running around at school until 3:30 - I will definitely be tired. Glad to here that splitting the bike might even be a benefit. Except for weekends, until June I will have to split most of the long or double workouts. Like you said - real life gets in the way sometimes.
I am a bit confused about the next question. Your first sentence said that long bike and short runs are not used very much any more? Did you mean the other way around - short bike and long run? I think so based on the rest of your answer. So on those days I will eliminate the bike and make it a long run. If the short bike - long run is not good, I'm wondering why BT would put that in a training program and it also makes me worried that I've chosen a good plan.

I have been looking at others training logs. NOT a good idea. Boy, am I a slow swimmer. I was so proud of myself the other day. I actually did a 3000m workout in 1 hour 8 min. For me that's great, but compared to real swimmers.... So the lesson is, just look at my own logs, no snooping around.

Also, I am confused about when Jenn and Brian are racing. I thought it was earlier but now I think it is next weekend.

Susie
2008-03-25 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1291567

User image

Veteran
sorry, i mean:
short bike - long runs: no good
But even WORSE is to second guess your training plan, seriously, it is there for some reason, so put your head down and go for it.

i think Brians and Jenns race was sunday, wasnt?

ANd on comparing with others, you do 3k in 1h08 now, I can tell you that by september, you will be doing 1h20, more than enough for your goals, no worries, worry about getting a good trainig volume in, do some pullbuoy trainig, some open water with wetsuit here and there for the feel, and you will be set.

Vinnie

2008-03-25 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Wow, thanks for the pep talk. I'd be VERY pleased with 1h20.
I did however switch to the other BT IM training plan. The beginner IM did not seem to get enough volume until the last few weeks and that was also a concern of my IM friend who looked it over. She said it didn't look like enough. So, I think I'm set now. (must stop second guessing myself)

As for J and B's race. Last Sunday was Easter, so I really doubt that a race would be held on that day.

Susie

PS I'm in love the pull buoy now. And what do you think of Zoomers?

2008-03-25 9:50 PM

User image

Hey, y'all. The race is this Saturday, March 29. I decided to try a wetsuit today, and it went great. I was even faster with the suit on. I'm really excited about racing Saturday. My best friend is driving down to watch as well as my mother-in-law and sister-in-law and nephew. My parents and my kids will be with me as well. I got my bib number today, and I'm in the 11th swim wave--the very last wave. Brian sent me a text message that said I would have lots of people to pass on the bike ride! My knees are feeling great. I've been jogging a little with no pain (walk 4 min, jog 1 min). Needless to say, I think I'm ready, and I am so looking forward finishing my first race! Have a fantastic rest of the week, everyone.

Take care, and happy training!

Jenn
2008-03-26 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Hi Jenn,
Thanks for the clarification on the race. Glad you decided to use a wet suit, esp when I heard the water temp for your race. But then I'm a cold water wimp. I can't remember how long your swim is or what type of wet suit you are wearing, but if the suit has a higher neck, watch out for chaffing on the back of the neck. There is a product called Body Glide. It looks like deodorant. You put it on to protect against chaffing anywhere. I always put it on the back of my neck when I wear my wet suit. Once I forgot and had a very uncomfortable sore right where my bike helmet hit.

Good luck and have fun!

Susie
2008-03-27 11:54 AM

Regular
hey all

Just a quick cheer for Brian and Jenn: good luck you guys. I'm sure it's going to be great and Jenn you sound sooo ready.

Have a great time!
joelle
2008-03-28 3:31 AM
in reply to: #1297520

User image

Veteran
Hi Jenn, good luck saturday! I'm glad to be part of this, and the 4'jog/1' walk sounds perfect!!!

Wetsuits are great, arent they?

Good luck and send brian our best wishes
Vinnie

2008-03-28 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Hey Vinnie,
Today's workout (actually tomorrow's, but do to the boys having a gymnastic invitational meet I switched days, so tomorrow will be my day off) anyway...
The plan called for a 4000m swim: 500 swim, 500 pull, 10x50, 5 x100, repeat. I did it in 1h 23m 7s. A HUGE psychological boost. This was the longest I've ever swam in one session. Now I know I can do the distance and not take forever. Now all I have to do is add 112 miles on the bike, and a nice leisurely 26 mile run and I'm set.

Susie

2008-03-29 6:02 PM

User image

Hey there, y'all! I did it! I finished, and I wasn't last! WooHoo! My time was 2h1min40s. I thought I would finish in about 2h30min, so I am super excited about my time! The swim took 18m22s, and I even passed a couple of men from the swim wave that started before mine. The bike took 49m57s with an average speed of 15.0 mph. The run took 44m25s. I have some pictures to post later afte I recover a bit.

It was great to meet Brian and his family, and so many of the people at the race were so encouraging. I think I may be hooked!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Take care and happy training!

Jenn
2008-03-29 8:31 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Way to go Jenn! You should be super proud of yourself.
What an accomplishment - both your weight loss and finishing a triathlon (and earlier than originally planned)
I'm very happy to hear that you had such a positive experience. It is amazing how this sport pulls you in. Keep setting goals and challenging yourself. It's obvious you have the will and desire to keep moving forward in whatever direction you want to go.

Susie
2008-03-30 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1288742

User image

Here's a picture of Brian and me after the race.

Jenn

(Jenn and Brian.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Jenn and Brian.JPG (62KB - 30 downloads)
2008-03-31 6:19 AM
in reply to: #1303030

User image

Veteran
Hi Susie,

Good to hear about the improvements on the swim, and you made a good call on switching the day off for the family time, perfect timing. I will tell you something, if you swam 4k in 1h23, at race day, with a wetsuit on, and more training “in the books”, you will not only do the swim if a good split, but also jump on the bike feeling fresh and confident. I belive that by now, the sun might be staying out for longer, and it would be time to switch your focus to the bike, at race day, you will be a “wet biker, who is going for a hike”, that is, bike training is the core of your IM training, the swim is ALREADY there, just keep it rolling, and the run will come along with time, no need to rush. All in all, it sounds you are in a great track now…

Hi Jenn,

CONGRATS!!!! I had no doubt you would do it fine, that is some solid splits and you almost went under 2h. We are waiting for a longer report (from you too brian )once you feel better (try to get some naps in!helps a lot), i´m glad you got hooked, you might find yourself doing an Ironman soon hey!?!? but have a good rest now for ~3-4 days, and take it VERY EASY, for another 3-4 days, do some 20’ sessions of riding or swimming everyday, active recover is great for you, it will help you get back with your good sleep and nutrition habits, and feel like you are "training" again, and by Tuesday-Wednesday next week, you will likely feel mentally and physically recovered to get back into training..

NOW, THAT IS A COOL PHOTO, just saved to my PC, two athletes, under the same motivational internet group, doing a triathlon together, wow!

Vinnie

2008-03-31 10:57 PM

User image

Austin
Hey guys!

Sorry to be so slow in putting up a post. We had an absolute BLAST at this race! I had never been to one of the big race festivals and these guys really did it right. Saturday was the Spring (our race) and Sunday were the 1/4 and 1/2 IM. They had lots of corporate sponsors, live music, food, volunteers everywhere helping you out and cheering you...it was AWESOME!

I ran this race with my brother in law. This was his first and he did great. His goal was 1:40 and he came in at 1:36. My goal was 1:20 and I came in at 1:11. I finished 73rd overall (out of 868) and 12th in my age group (35-39).

I had a great swim (1:44/100), a solid bike (21.2mph avg) and beat my run pace goal of 8 minute miles (did 7:38 pace). My Olympic distance is the end of May so I have 2 months left to train for that. In 2 weeks I am riding in the MS150 from Houston to Austin. Vinnie, I am now looking at that 2 day bike tour coming up in 2 weeks and wondering if that was very smart to schedule! I am pretty sore from Saturday. My left calf is locked up tight and I am having some heel pain on that foot. I have been massaging the muscle and will go cycling in the morning. 2 days of recovery has felt pretty good!

I also have some pictures of the race and will figure out how to post them.

Meeting Jenn was such a neat experience. Her kids and parents were great. Jenn, you have such a pleasant smile and warm personality. I am so proud of what you did in such a short period of time. Congratulations on finishing your first triathlon and doing so well at it. I am glad to hear that you think you are hooked! I know the move to England has altered your plans some but hopefully once you get there you can find another event to train for.

My kids ran in the fun run at the Lonestar and loved it. My brother in law is picking his next race already, his wife went for a run today for the first time in years, my wife met with the trainer at our local club today (not for tri but just general fitness), and this evening I told my kids about a Kids Tri we found in the Houston area and they are both very excited and ready to start training! They are 7 and 9. I guess my point is I love this sport too, and one thing I love most about it is sharing it with other people and watching them be inspired to take action on their own to make healthy changes for themselves. The tri my kids will do is a 50m swim, 2mi bike, and 1/2 mi run. Nothing that will be too hard for them or on their bodies, but certainly something they can be excited about! I made them a real training plan. 5 days a week, 2 rest days. Saturdays are a brick workout. It was really fun and they are both very excited.

Guess this post was much longer more than I intended. Sorry for being so wordy. I will get the pics up soon.

Hope you guys are all well!

Be strong!
Brian

2008-04-01 6:00 AM

Regular
hey guys!

Congrats to you both Brian and Jenn!
Thanks for the updates and the details on the race. Don't appologize Brian! I enjoyed every word over a cup of coffee before my next appointment. You are so right. The best part of this sport really is the inspirational part of it!

Jenn
As I may have mentionned in one of the first emails, I'm training for the London triathlon. It's august 9th. I think entries are full but it may be worth checking if you'll be in the UK by then, maybe you can still sign up! At the very least maybe you and your family could visit London and I could show you around. (I used to live there, it's awesome).

Here, I'm a little worried about stalling in training. First of all, since starting (3 months ago), I haven't lost an once. Not one. Slightly frustrated. Must now actually diet. argh.
Also, more seriously, my foot really hurt a week or so ago at volleyball, then running. I figured it was running and stuff. But then since yesterday, a mild back pain i've had for a while really went through the roof. I thought it was bronchitis coming on, because it's painful to breathe and if I cough or blow my nose I feel like i'm being stabbed. Turns out I have a misplaced vertebrae that is pushing against the bronchials. Not pleasant. Anyhow, I'm seeing an osteopath this pm. First time. We'll see how it goes. I hope I can swim tonight.

i'll keep you guys posted. Appointment has arrived. gotta go.

take care
joelle
2008-04-01 10:17 PM

User image

Hey, y'all! What a crazy few days! When I got back to my parents' place after the race on Saturday, my mother-in-law, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and nephew came to visit. (My mother-in-law drove in from Kansas to see us.) Then on Sunday, all of my mom's family came to visit. I think there were 25 people in the house. It was wild!

We also found out on Sunday that my grandmother has colon cancer. The doctor believes that they've found the cancer soon enough, that they will be able to remove it surgically and she will be fine.

Then on top of that, I called the airline to check on our return flight, and our reservations had been cancelled. (We had problems with a cancelled flight on the way down here, and the problem then escalated to the cancelled reservation for the return flights.) Needless to say, the airline knows I am not happy.

So, it's been stressful the last few days. I am ready to be home and get back into a routine. I'm not doing well without a routine. I wish that I could stay and help my mom, but it's just not possible. Please keep my family in your prayers.

On another note, here's more of my stats from the race:

500m swim 18m22s (3:40/100M)
T1 7m18s (not bad for having to put on tendon straps and knee braces on both knees!)
12.5 mi bike 49m57s (15.0mph)
T2 1m35s
3.1 mi run 44m25s (14m20s/mile)

I felt really good throughout the race, and had only a little soreness the next day. A friend that went with me to the race has now decided to train for a race in October. It's awesome to inspire someone else to join the fun.

Joelle,
Right now, we are supposed to fly to London Aug 9, but that may change. I'll keep you posted. I hope your pains go away soon.

Brian,
It was awesome to meet you and your beautiful family. You did awesome in the race! I am impressed!

Well, it's late, and I've got a lot to do before we leave tomorrow. Take care, y'all!

Jenn
:-)
2008-04-02 1:37 AM
in reply to: #1309752

User image

Veteran
Hi Guys, thanks for the longish reports, "love 'em all!"

Brian,

Your performance was great, 12th is right up there and for someone with your background, it only shows how great your improvements were, but ALSO, how HARD you raced, that explains a bit of the body hangover the days after, take it very easy, NO INTENSITY AT ALL, just some light training as I said to Jenn before, 20-30' sessions do wonders to recover you faster and make you feel better.

As for the long ride, the volume is not a problem, but do it easy easy easy, no hammering allowed at all, have fun, take it easy enjoy the ride, if you do this you won't be sore the day after, tired yes, but not sore.

Jenn,

Sorry to hear about all the stresses going on, but now that the race is behind you, its OK to shift your energy to get those problems sorted, try to get 30' of training a day just to keep it rollong, but don't worry about any structure until you get things sorted, the move to England is more stressful on your body than you think, you know that you can achieve your tri goals much easier than expected, so no need to rush with anything.

Joelle,

As per the weight loss, one thing you might consider is the intensity of the sessions you are doing, when you go out and hammer yourself, you feel shelled after that and its natural and expected to over eat a little bit, so try to take it easier for a few weeks, you will be able to eat less and with more quality for that period, and the timing is good to give you a mental break from hard training as you are going thru some hard times with the injuries. Bottom line, just keep it rolling and try to stay positive at all times

Cheers All,
Vinnie

2008-04-02 2:34 AM

Regular
hiya,

Quick note before work. Went to the osteopath yesterday. YIKES!!! I didn't know so many bones in my body could crack so loud without breaking!! Definitely not the best experience in my life, especially the strangest positions in your underwear with a stranger twisting, turning, and squishing you...and then CRACK! but I already can breathe a bit better...so I guess it was needed. ah yes and then I felt a serious pain in my heart towards then end...but that may have been related to the number I had to write out on the check! .

Vinnie,
Thanks for the advice. I'll take advantage of this time to plan the season out.
I am also going to have a long hard look at my eating and training. I think I'll start tracking my nutrition in the log, which should help detect some culprits, and hey: 2 VB matches to go (the last one was awesome, we beat the Leading team!!!), so then it's TRI TRI TRI. Also, I've decided not to wait till the US to get a road bike. So I'll let you guys know how the shopping goes.

Jenn,
I'm sorry to hear about your grand mother and your stress. Hope all goes well.

Brian,
How is your dad doing? Was he able to see you race? And were you able to raise money with your Team in training?

ok work must now be done!
take care all
joelle
2008-04-02 8:44 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Hi All,

Brian, Awesome race! Very impressive. And how cool that you have inspired your entire family. I would love for my kids to get the bug for tri. My son may run a 5k with his GF, who is not only into the triathlon thing after participating in her first indoor tri, has decided to change her major in school to exercise science.

Jenn, sorry to hear about your grandmother. It can be very hard when a family member is ill, especially when you have to be so far away. I hope all goes well. I certainly can understand your need to get back home and back to routine, especially with young kids.

Joelle, I'm glad you are feeling better. How fun to be shopping for a road bike. It is so much fun to get new toys. I just put new pedals (Look Keo) on my bike. Now I'm looking to get some new bike shoes.

But, I think the new pedals and clips have changed the set up on my bike. I need to adjust the seat height or something. I'm looking into getting a professional bike fit. Vinnie, they can be $$. Do you think it is worth it?
Also, Vinnie, thanks for the vote of confidence on my swim. I am feeling really good about all the work I've put into my swim in the off season because I can really see the results now. Unfortunately, while the days are getting longer, it is still cold, so biking outside is still not possible. The snow finally melted last weekend, but snow is in the forecast for tomorrow night. (won't stick long, but still..... I'm soooooo tired of this. Where is spring??) Anyway, I will be logging more time on the trainer and in spin class.

Have a great rest of the week.

Susie

2008-04-06 5:36 PM

User image

Hey, y'all. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. My grandmother will have surgery on Friday. The doctor won't know if the cancer is contained in the colon or has spread to other nearby organs until then. I'm praying all goes well.

On another note, I'm getting back into my training, and I'm looking for another race to enter. A friend in Texas wants to start training as well, and we may do a race together in late July/early August. I'm considering entering an off-road sprint here in June.

Vinnie,
What do you think of an off-road sprint? Also, I want to adjust my training plan to allow for strength training on my non-brick days. What do you think of the following schedule? Is the repetiveness okay or do I need to mix it up a bit? I'm going to look at some of the BT plans as well.

Monday--off day
Tuesday--swim and bike
Wednesday--walk/run and strength train
Thursday--swim and bike
Friday--walk/run and strength train
Saturday--swim and bike
Sunday--walk/run and strength train

I hope everyone has a fantastic week. Take care and happy training!

Jenn
2008-04-06 8:55 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Hi all,
Jenn, an off road sprint sounds fun. I'm so glad you are planning another race. You go girl!

We FINALLY had a decent weather weekend here in Chi town. The temps were around 63, almost a heat wave compared to recent times. I ran outside on Sat. and biked outside on the trail on Sun. It was the first time since October and of course the trail was full of bikers, runner, people walking dogs, pushing stollers etc., so the going was slow, but who cares it was wonderful to be outside.

Have a great week.
Susie
2008-04-09 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1319664

User image

Veteran
Hi guys, I'm sorry, i had some pretty busy days over here...

Susie, changing pedals and cleats DOES makes difference in your seat height, good on ya for feeling the difference it says a lot, like you have a good feel for your bike AND have been on the bike a lot.

Professional fitting is NOT NECESSARY, if you are feeling confortable and strong, no need to change much, of course that if you dont mind spending the money, it wouldnt hurt to hear an experienced opinion. Try posting a pic of yourself riding the trainer at a decent effort, and I can do some basic comments on that, I can draw some lines, get some angles and if there is anything screaming wrong it is easy to spot by a picture.

Jenn, OFF-ROAD Triathlon IS THE REAL DEAL!!! Mountain Bikes are fun, go for it wihout any doubt, the only thing you gotta know is that the bike course is usually hard and can trash your legs for the run, so don't be surprised if you feel very tired on the run, most people can barely run the run, it is normal and expected, but GO FOR IT!

And your training plan LOOKS GOOD, seriously, you switch a good training day (swim+bike) with a strength and weight day, that IS good, carry on with that program, and there is NO PROBLEM by repeating it week after week, actualy it is a GOOD THING, as you can antecipate things and take the most out of your time and routine.

Cheers,
Vinnie
2008-04-09 9:07 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Thanks Vinnie, I will try to get a picture of me on the bike up this weekend.

Susie
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Vinnie´s Inspirational Group - Closed for members, open for lurkers! Rss Feed  

of 9