BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Vinnie´s Inspirational Group - Closed for members, open for lurkers! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2008-04-10 12:06 AM
in reply to: #1097021

User image

Subject: RE: Vinnie´s Inspirational Group - Closed for members, open for lurkers!
Thanks, Vinnie. I think I'm going to do the off road race July 5. My husband is interested in it as well. I think we're going to drive down and check out the course next month. I sent the race director an email to try to find out some more info. It's a .5 mile swim, 12 mile bike, and 3 mile run with a 2.5hr limit. I know I can finish the distance, but I don't know if I could do it in that time if the bike course is very hilly. Hopefully, the race director can answer my questions so that I can make an educated decision. I'm going to start increasing the resistance on the stationary bike at the gym to work my legs more on the days that I can't get out to ride my bike.

Suzie,
I'm glad you're having some nice weather. We keep having intermittent snow showers and sunshine. This weekend we will be in the 60s for the first time this year. The weatherman said the other evening that this past winter was the second snowiest in history for Spokane. We missed the record for snowfall by 4 inches.

Have a fantastic rest of the week, y'all! Take care, and happy training!

Jenn
:-)

2008-04-10 3:39 AM
in reply to: #1327843

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Vinnie´s Inspirational Group - Closed for members, open for lurkers!
Hi Jenn,

Good to hear your husband might be able to race with you (he better watch out!!). Personally I think this is a must-go race, as you are moving to england, I suppose the first few weeks are going to be quite crazy and busy, catching up with the new life and challenges, so now that you've done your first tri, keep them coming!

Instead of only riding the stationary bike at same resistace, you can alternate the type of session every other day, ie:

day 1: Hills simulator, something like: 2' hard/ 6' steady/2' very easy - repeat!

day 2: continuos steady ride - good endurance training for flat races

If you change the type of training load on your legs, it will be more efficient and motivating

;-)

Vinnie

2008-04-10 11:22 AM

User image

Thanks, Vinnie. I'll give that a try. I usually use one of the pre-set programs on the stationary bike. I've been using a cross country program, but I was planning to switch to the hill climber program. I can still adjust the resistance within the program if my knees start to hurt.

You know, Vinnie, you're the best! I would continue to second guess my training and race decisions if I didn't have the encouragement here. Thanks a bundle! You are greatly appreciated!

Have a great day! Take care and happy training!

Jenn
2008-04-10 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Hey all,
Vinnie, I second Jenn's comment. You're encouragement and technical help have been greatly appreciated. I remember when this program started way back in January it was stated to last until March or April.... Say it isn't so! I would love to have your help for as long as possible.

Jenn, so much for the great weather.... just a tease. It has been gloomy, cold and rainy the entire week, with SNOW predicted for Sat. ARRGGG! My poor son is running his first 5K Sunday. The temp at race time should be in the low 30's. We too have had an almost record snow total this season, and we are on the way to the record books for the latest arriving 70 temperature.

Today was an interesting training day, probably the first of many until school gets out in June.
I was in the pool at 5:30 am, then work all day, rush home to get my son to the Dr. (he has strep throat- as I suspected) drop him back at home, go to the drug store to get his prescription, back home, run 1 hour on the tread mill, make dinner, clean up, get on the trainer. Phew!

Day off tomorrow - training that is - much needed.

Time to relax. Happy Friday!

Susie
2008-04-11 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1329914

User image

Veteran
Hi Susie, on the busy day thing, you did it all right, just don't stop and think, and by the end of the day, you will be amazed, looking back and thinking "how did I do that?"

No problems on the technical advices guys, that was the goal of this group, helping out people who wanted to help themselves, to achieve greater goals...You guys are great, I'm happy to be part of it, and no doubt I want to hear from you on how the season will develop, please keep your blogs and logs updated!

Vinnie

2008-04-11 1:07 PM

User image

Hey, y'all! I heard back from the off road race director, and it's a go! He said that the bike course and run course are both very flat. The bike course is only 25% off road. The swim is in the Columbia River, and the race director said that the swim times are faster due to river current. This could be a very interesting race. I think it will be a lot of fun!

I'm going to have to work on increasing my swim distance. The most I've done without stopping is 750m. The race is .5 mile (800m). I'm looking forward to the challenge. I'm glad to have something else to work toward.

Suzie, hang in there! Spring will be there soon. I'm looking forward to being outside with my husband and kids this weekend.

I hope everyone else is doing well. Take care!

Jenn

2008-04-13 5:14 AM

Regular
Hey Guys

Good to read your workouts and training. You have been my stability this week. WOrk has gotten really hard and stressful and for the first time I actually had 2 minor anxiety attacks, one during a running session. Luckilly I was with a friend.
Then on wednesday we got some really bad news. A friend and collegue passed away in the most ridiculous way. He was at the train station in a really small town and instead of going thru the over pass he crossed the tracks and got hit by the TGV (our fastest train). Since the train wasn't supposed to stop at this station it was almost full speed 200km/ph and it actually took half a mile to stop. Needless to say it was a a shock and by friday at the funeral I was in a bit of a fog.
Anyhow I don't mean to bring anyone down, but it's been rough. If anything he was an amazing lively person, very generous and to be honest - though it was way to early (he was 57) I coulldn't him imagine leaving this world otherwise than with a bang.
SO! all that said he will be remember laughing and dancing to ray charles. In the mean time it has reminded me to be thankful for what I have and to live to the fullest. He did.
I won't be able to afford to buy a bike till at least another month, but I'll make sure and train hard in swimming and running and most of all enjoy every step of the way.
Please enjoy and live to the fullest too. I'm sure there is now one more guardian angel watching over us all. Let's make him proud!

joelle
2008-04-15 4:38 AM
in reply to: #1333601

User image

Veteran
Hi Jenn,

The 25% off road sounds great, you will still get the challenge and fun, but the course wont be too slow, so your worries about making the cut off will drop a lot.

Hi joelle,

I'm so sorry to hear about the accident, it was scarying enough just to read about it and visualize that in my mind, RIP.I wonder when things like this happen, a close friend/relative dies from nothing, life gets a new perspective...How are you feeling about that?

Vinnie
2008-04-15 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Hi Joelle,
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. Unexpected tragic events just shake one up to the core. It's hard enough when it's expected, like illness, but with no warning.... Hang in there.
Vinnie, I think it does give one a new perspective on life. We are reminded that we should live life to the fullest everyday, even when you've had a terrible day, remember what and who you have and how it can change in an instant. Hug you kids, husband, wife, significant other, dog, every day!

Have a good week!

Susie
2008-04-16 12:45 AM

User image

Hey, y'all.

Joelle,
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family and friends.

My grandmother had surgery to today. The surgeon removed a 2 foot section of her colon, but was not able to remove all of the cancer because it has spread to the abdominal wall and is surrounding the iliac artery. She came through surgery well, and will have a couple of weeks to recover before seeing an oncologist about chemotherapy and/or radiation. However, her regular doctor does not think she will be strong enough to withstand either treatment. This is hard for me because I live so far away, and I wish I could be there with my family. The life of a military family is not easy!

I am trying to stick to my training and stay positive. I'm struggling with my nutrition because I've always turned to food when I'm upset. Now, I have to look for other things to do instead,and I haven't been very successful with that the last few days. However, today was a lot better, and I hope it's one of many better days.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I'll keep y'all posted. Take care.

Jenn
2008-04-16 6:10 AM

Regular
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the prayers and support. It really means a lot.

Suzie and Vinnie you are both so right that this sort of thing really makes you think. I was “off” for a few days and probably still am a bit. (only started practice again last night)
But I have definitely taken a long hard look at things and have decided to go for the positive and for the things that matter. It’s almost like a wake up call to get up and do everything 110%, but also to pay attention to all the little things along the way. No holding back. It’s just not worth it. For what? For later? What if there is no later?
Anyhow all that said, I’m still freaked out about my financial and work situation, but am now convinced I can do this. I can solve the problem and I will come out on top. Also, one step at a time, goals will be reached and every step of the way will be enjoyed and cherished. I’m all revved up, and though I was sad to be reminded that this forum is supposed to only last till April or so, I firmly intend to keep in touch with you guys if possible. Even if we haven’t met (except Brian and Jenn) we’ve shared a fair bit for several months now and it’s just silly to let that go. After all guys, I live in the SOUTH OF FRANCE! Who doesn’t want to come and visit some time!! south of france…bread, cheese, wine, sun…Tour de France… tempting?

Jenn,
I’m sorry to hear about your grand mother, seems like a lot for her body and spirit to go thru. And I definitely understand the frustration of living far away (story of my life really!), but I’ve found that though it’s really hard to be away, ties are very special and you really can stay close, even though there can be miles between you. Good luck, stay strong. Oh and the food thing, I definitely understand too: one solution can be a good hard swim or bike session; tire yourself out and savor the rest afterwards.

Once again thank you guys.
Take care
joelle

2008-04-17 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1341140

User image

Veteran
Joelle, south of france! That was a great invitation, keep your spare room tidy just in case I show up.

Its reading post like yours and Jenn's with the surgery, that triathlon takes an important role in our life. When we are training, we are basically just enjoying ourselves, our world could be about to explode, but nothing takes the joy out of tri-training, I really helps to calm us sown, do something easy 30-40' ar leisure pace, you will finish it more relaxed, with a clearer mind and more answers to the questions.

keep it positive guys, it will get better.

Vinnie

2008-04-20 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Vinnie,
Finally, here are two pics of me on my bike. Very interesting to look at yourself riding.
Not quite sure how to get a picture on. Let's see if this works. If not, I'll try again.
2008-04-20 2:55 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Vinnie,
Finally, here are two pics of me on my bike. Very interesting to look at yourself riding.
Not quite sure how to get a picture on. Let's see if this works. If not, I'll try again.
2008-04-20 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Hi Vinnie,
Here are two pictures of me on the bike. Interesting to look at yourself on the bike. I had just come back from on outdoor ride.

Susie

(IMG_9691opt.jpg)

(IMG_9700opt.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_9691opt.jpg (95KB - 25 downloads)
IMG_9700opt.jpg (98KB - 27 downloads)
2008-04-20 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
It worked! Wasn't sure if I knew how to put in pictures. I was trying not to laugh in the pictures. I found it very funny to have my husband taking pictures of me while riding my bike on the trainer in our basement.
Realized I should have been facing the other way so my tatoo on the other ankle would show.

My own analysis: I think I do have to raise my seat a bit and perhaps move it forward? and perhaps do something with the aerobars. My back is fine when riding, it's my neck that gets sore.

And yes, I have a pink bike...It's the Pink Lady and I love her. A Trek 2200 wsd: Ultegra components, carbon fork, seat stay and seat post. One of these days I'll upgrade to full carbon frame, but for now this will do.

Susie

Edited by suzimmer 2008-04-20 3:28 PM

2008-04-21 2:50 AM

Regular
hey suzie

As a beginner, I certainly have no idea if your form or position is good, but I will give my input: you look very serious and pro , can't detect a giggle at all! and pink is a great color!!

Seriously though, my mountain bike is close to dead and I really need to start getting on a bike. Since they are so expensive here, my aunt in NY is going to get one in the us for me and mail it (or ship it with a friend). Problem is I've got no idea what to tell her to get me.
I just know this: I want/need a road bike. Size 48. I don't care if it is 2nd hand as long as it is in good shape. Budget is 450$ to max 600$. I'd prefer pedals that go with bike shoes, cause i find them easier to clip out of. Aside from that I don't even really know any bike manufacturers. I've read loads of reviews, but my friends say ebay is not the solution, that I should just give her a few instructions and let her go get it from a bike shop.
I'm not looking for a pro bike to keep for years, but a good, easy, relatively solid basic beginner bike for my first year or two of tris.

Please please give me some input guys.

Cheers
joelle
2008-04-22 11:00 PM
in reply to: #1350620

User image

Veteran
Hi Susie, that is an AWSOME colour scheme, I love how the black matches the pink.

On your Fit, I'm not sure if I will be able to attach the pic here, but I draw some lines on what would happen if you raise your saddle about 1cm and get it foward another 2cm. With your road bike, the difference would be very slim, so you wouldnt have much problem to adjust, and will likely have a bit more power and save the legs a bit more for the run...But changes are very small. I've hosted the pic on a webserver just in case I cant post here

http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=susiefitqj7.jpg

Greenline marks is your current fit, which is already good, you look very confortable (top priority for your race goals and fitness level), but seats is a tidy lower than it should be.

Blue marks, raise the seat ~1cm, and move it fowards another 2cm, have a try, give yourself a few rides like this, and see how that feels.

Joelle, you are in an interesting situation with the new bike. If you get them shipped from the U.S, you will likely pay some decent money for the shipping, and even though being an used bike, you risk getting it taxed with importation taxes when t goes thru customs. So it might end up more expensive than you think, to get an entry-level bike.

That being said, I would suggest you 2 things, you can either:

-Do a better search, with more time and find someone selling a 2nd hand 48cm bike. Being able to see the bike, you can ride test it, to make sure it will fit, etc, how tall are you? I think you are better off by buying a $600 bike near your place, than to buy a $400 in the US and get it shipped to France.

-Upgrade your MTB, get some slick tyres for it, clip-on pedals, and change chain/gears/brakes or whatever is not working properly.

Cheers All,
Vinnie

(susiefit.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
susiefit.JPG (96KB - 25 downloads)
2008-04-23 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Thanks Vinnie, I'll make the adjustments and give it try. I'll let you know how it goes.

Joelle,
I agree with Vinnie. You would want to test ride any bike you might buy and it would be a shame to spend all that money to purchase a bike, ship it, only to not have it be the right bike for you.

Glad everyone likes The Pink Lady. I have to admit, that when I was first contemplating purchasing this bike, I wasn't too sure about pink. However, I now love it. Makes it easy to find in transition especially along side the hot pink transition bag.

Susie
2008-04-24 2:00 AM

Regular
Hiya

Thanks for the input guys. It does seems much more logical that way, and (funny how things happen) it turns out that one of the guys at the club who swims in my lane, works at a bike shop. I feel I can definitely trust him. He said small size bikes aren't super ffrequent in second hand but that he'd have a look. So I'll probably pop by the shop this saturday. Fingers crossed.
Besides that training has been awkward and I've been a bit lazy. But I'm definitely more motivated now, especially since the swim coach said I had to redo my 400m test. It seems i've improved so now my times and averages are all off! yay! Also, I ran sets of 800m instead of 400m yesterday, which was a nice switch up and we have finally had some sun after weeks of pouring rain, though I'm still not complaining: it's not snow or really cold.

Hey Jenn adn Brian, How are you guys? Hope you loved ones are doing well and that you're both ok.

Ok time to work
take care
joelle
2008-04-24 9:53 PM

User image

Hey, y'all. I'm doing okay. I'm having some motivation issues at the moment, but I'm working on it. I haven't been to the gym in a few days, and I'm kicking myself for it. I'm going in for an easy workout this evening, and my goal is to get back into full training mode next week.

My grandmother is doing better. She was discharged from the hospital today and was taken to a skilled nursing center for rehab. She is still very weak, but is improving. We don't know yet about chemotherapy or radiation treatment. Her general doctor was encouraged that the cancer hasn't spread to the liver. Now we just wait and see how well she does with the rehab to determine when she will get to go home. I appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers.

Joelle, thanks for asking about my grandmother. Good luck with the bike shopping.

Susie, I love the bike. Pink is one of my favorite colors. My bike is mint green.

I almost bought some new running socks last weekend when I went to try on new running shoes. I love cool socks, and these had flying pigs! I thought they would be fitting for me because no one I know would have ever thought I would run a triathlon!

Take care, y'all, and happy training!

Jenn

2008-04-27 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Jenn, Glad to hear things are going OK with your grandmother. My brother-in-law is in his second round of chemo and is doing great. He's lost all his hair and has this funky skin condition because of the drugs, but he feels pretty good and his attitude is awesome. He is so upbeat and positive. If it were me, I'd probably be wallowing around in a vat of self pity.

Anyway, Had my first race of the season today. The Lakefront 10, which is as the name implies, is a 10 mile race on Chicago's lakefront. A beautiful race when the weather is good. Friday, it was a balmy 80 degrees. Today, it was 40 degrees and cloudy at race start. At least it was not raining as had been predicted. But despite the less than optimal conditions, I actually enjoyed the race. I ran it in 1.29.10 which is an 8:55 mile. I'm pleased with my time and even more pleased that I felt great at the end. I actually then went home and rode the bike for 22 miles.

The foot is still a concern. A bit of pain at the start of the race but not too bad and went away. I HATE the orthotics and stopped wearing them when I developed knee pain that I'd never had before. That pain went away after I stopped wearing them. My biggest concern is on the bike. I still begin to get numb toes. I'm now on trying my second pair of bike shoes and thinking about trying a third. ( the bike store is going to not like me soon- as I keep returning shoes.) I'm seeing the foot doc on Tues.

Vinnie, haven't made the adjustments on the bike, but will this week.

Have a good week!
Susie

Have a good week all.
2008-04-28 12:44 AM
in reply to: #1364807

User image

Veteran
Hi Susie,

Great performance on the 10miler, I couldnt believe when I read you backed it up with another 22miles on the bike on the same day, THATs hardcore!If you can get the numb feet problem solved, and get the miles into your legs during summer, you are on the way to a great performance in September, thats for sure.

Guys, as everyone has probably noticed, "our" mentoring program was moved to the "archive" and is about to end. This was a superb experience for me, much cooler than expected, and I was happy to feel that I helped a bit when some of you werent sure about something.

As a wrap up, everyone here could write a report on this experience, the highlights, lessons learned and how they will apply them in the future be it in tri-training/racing or in any areas of our lives. I will write mine soon and post it here. And if we could get a small mailing list togther, and send each other a small update every month or so, send me your email address to [email protected] and I will put it together for us.

Cheers,
Vinnie

2008-04-29 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Oh wow, I can't believe this is over. I had never been involved in any type of form like this and really didn't know what to expect. I never expected that I would enjoy this as much as I did. I looked forward to checking in and seeing what everyone else was up to. It was also great to have a forum to detail training ups and downs as well as some life experiences. How cool has it been to meet and talk with people not only from around the country, but the world! It really does let you know that its so true... no matter where we are, or who we are, people are people with hopes and dreams. But in our cases, being triathletes we are in the process of making some of those hopes and dreams a reality. I wish everyone all the best not only in the coming season, but in life. I do hope that we can check in on each other.
Jenn, I hope to hear how the rest of your season goes and in your weight loss goal. On Sunday, as I was running my race, I was talking with my friend about this forum. She thought it was great and you in particular. Not many people are able to put into action the combined goals that you set for yourself. Keep it up!
Joelle, keep looking for that new bike and don't let life's ups and downs get in the way of your goals. I hope you enjoy your first tri. Hope to hear all about it.
Brian, keep up the good work and you'll be on your way to an Ironman before you know it. I never thought I'd be training for one and well... here I am.
Vinnie, Thank you so much for all your advice. I guess I learned that I have more knowledge and ability than I gave myself credit for. I feel so much more confident than I did a few months ago.
Thanks for everything. I hope that now and then I can ask you a question or two. I realize that being a coach is your job and I don't want to get for free what others are paying big bucks for, but I'd really like to let you know how things go. I will definitely send you my e-mail.

Take care everyone!

Susie

2008-05-01 1:34 AM

User image

I guess all good things must come to an end. I wasn't involved in online forums until recently, and this forum has been fantastic for me. Everyone has been so supportive and encouraging. I love the sport of triathlon now because of all of the people involved in it--all of you included! It sounds funny to say, but it kind of reminds me of the comraderie of the cowboys and cowgirls involved in rodeo. (I grew up on a horse farm, and my dad, brothers and I competed in rodeos. Our summer vacations were spent going from one rodeo to the next throughout the midwest and Rockie Mountain states. Everyone helps everyone--from sharing equipment to even sharing horses from time to time.)

As far as what I've learned here, I've learned that I have the ability to make good decisions about my training and that I can be successful at something that I never thought I would be able to do. I am more confident now than I was 4 months ago. I CAN do this!

Vinnie, your advice has been priceless. Thank you!

Susie, I never set out to inspire anyone. I never thought someone would tell my story to another person. Wow! I am humbled. Thank you for your support and encouragement. Good luck with your Ironman. You are an inspiration, too! (Hey, if we have an extra long layover in Chicago on our way to London in August, I'll give you a call.)

Joelle, good luck with the London race. Maybe in my travels through Europe in the next few years we will get to meet in person.

Brian, you are actually the first person I've "met" online and then met in person. It was so nice to meet you and your wonderful family. I am inspired by how quickly you have improved in this sport. I know if you can do this, then so can I. Thank you for being an inspiration!

I hope we all stay in touch periodically. Take care, y'all!

Jenn
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Vinnie´s Inspirational Group - Closed for members, open for lurkers! Rss Feed  

of 9