BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dodgersmom's Group - The inn is full! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2008-02-02 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1191343

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Dodgersmom's Group - The inn is full!
I'm really wanting to pick up the pace, now...Planning on doing a trial run in Athens on the 23rd of Feb...Focused on not making a fool of myself!!

2008-02-03 6:25 PM
in reply to: #1097791

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey Cere...how is it going with all the family.  That's a lot of kids in the house!  Might be a good time to go out on a loooong ride

Free trainer, that's awesome!  We have been so lucky lately with the weather that I only have to use the trainer for my short during the week rides!   

2008-02-03 8:45 PM

Veteran
Allen, TX
I survived the family, but it wasn't easy - LOL!

Today I had to attend a birthday party with a bunch of 10 year olds. I'm getting my fill of kiddos this week.

This week will be tough for me, so wish me luck. I have meetings all week long and a few mandatory work dinners. If I can just survive this week and manage to get in three workouts, I'll be thrilled. Hubby and I are going out of town this weekend. It will be strange leaving the kids behind, but we need some time alone.

Cool about the free trainer!
2008-02-04 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
Missed my workout yesterday...My dog (Lola), and running companion, found some poison yesterday and died...She dug out, once again, and apparently they have been putting out tainted meat behind our house to control the coyote population...I'm bumbed and have had a sick feeling in my stomach since yesterday...By the time I got her to the vet, it was too late...I know this doesn't have anything to do with training, but, well, you know...

Mike
2008-02-04 12:30 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Wow mike, I am so sorry to hear about Lola.  That is just awful.   My thoughts are with you  
2008-02-04 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1193563

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
Thanks...Marcy, you and Steve live in Keller, are you both doing any Tri's there this year...

Mike

2008-02-04 2:20 PM

User image

massachusetts

OK, I now have just under 3 weeks to go before the 1/2 marathon and I have to get going on my Tri training.  I just find it extremely difficult to do all the runs I need and still get the other two sports in.  Once the race is over I will be able to focus better.

I have not swam in over a month!  I find it so hard to get my self to the gym and swim when it is not packed.  I can not do it M-TH because of my work schedule, and the only least crowded pool time is when the gym opens 5:30 AM on Sat. and Sun.  I just have to get myself out of bed and go.  Marcy will you please yell at me and tell me to get my butt to the pool!Cool

Have a great day.

Stacy

2008-02-04 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1193810

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
Stacy,

I know you didn't ask for my input, but I tell you nothing gets you going like a swim first thing in the AM...For me, it really gets me going when I go down the hallway to the dressing room and it's 35 degrees outside! Of course, 35 in the AM is like a heat wave up there I'm sure...

Mike A.
2008-02-04 9:09 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

OK...first things first!  Stacy...GET IN THE POOL!  I do know were you are coming from.  Seems like I have no problems getting on the bike, or running, but sometimes I have to really dig deep to get to the pool.  Thing is though, once I get into the water I really enjoy the workouts!  Question for you...when you go, do you just swim laps or do you do drills and things to break up the boredom?  I also agree with Mike that if you can go early, it is the best thing to do.  I have tried, but my gym's locker facilities are not that great to dress for work in so it is hard to get up, o swim, come home and shower and get to work on time.  I have worked it out though that I swim on Tuesday's and Friday's when there are no water aerobic classes.  Yes, it is the shortest part of a tri, and it is true that ou are not going to win or lose based on your swim, but you have to get through it! 

Mike, yes, we do live in Keller and the plan is to do some of the local races.  This year we are doing Disco, TexasMan (both in Denton), I will do Irongirl and we will do the LongHorn 70.3 in Austin and then finish up with Monster in Keller.  Any plans on coming out to this area?? 

2008-02-05 6:50 AM

User image

massachusetts

Thanks Marcy and Mike!  I know I need to just do it and my goal is to get there this weekend.

I use to just swim laps, but this season I started doing Total Imersion drills and very few laps.  Since I have not gone in awhile I'll have to start the drills almost from the beginning again. 

Thanks for everyone's support.

Stacy

2008-02-05 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
Does anyone have any input on what is a realistic goal to set as far as a finishing time for someone doing their first triathlon...I just want to finish, but I would like to know what I should expect first time out...

Mike A.

2008-02-05 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1195811

User image

Master
Keller Tx

auggie - 2008-02-05 3:16 PM Does anyone have any input on what is a realistic goal to set as far as a finishing time for someone doing their first triathlon...I just want to finish, but I would like to know what I should expect first time out... Mike A.

Mike, expect to have fun!  To set goals for your very first race is a very hard thing to do, since there are several things that you will only experience on race day

2008-02-06 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1196335

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
Good advice...I'm pretty much a visual learner...So, I'll probably double as participant and spectator, watching and learning from everyone else...
2008-02-08 9:34 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey guys.  Sorry I have been MIA for the past few days.  THis week was crazy.  Working full time and training for an IM is not for the faint of heart.  Most days were 2 a day workouts.  Tomorrow is 6 hrs on the bike followed by a 30 minute run.  Sun only a 1.5 hr run and hr swim.  I am going to swim in my wetsuit.  I know i will look like a dork at the pool but I really need the practice in it.

at least it looks like the weather Gods are going to smile in us again.  It is supposed to be 70 as a high tomorrow.  Of xourse, we have to hit the trail at 9 so it will still be cold.  Luckily, the wat this trail works, we park in the midde so we come back to the car every hour to hour and a hald.  I will start in tights, heatgear shirt, full finger gloves and ear warmers.  I will probably end in shorts and a ss jersey!

Have a great Saturday all!

2008-02-09 3:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
6 hrs. on the bike??!! I feel so inadequate...All kidding aside, that's awesome...Who knows maybe in a year or two I can do that...Did an 1.25 brick today...Felt OK...Practice T1/T2...I am so gonna die my first time out, but I'm looking forward to it anyway...

Mike A.
2008-02-11 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
Good morning everyone...Hope everyone had a good weekend! Less than a month away from my first tri...

2008-02-11 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas

Good morning all. Its been a little while since I have checked in. I do have neews though. Last week I decided to join a Triathlon team. I had tossed the idea around for the past month or so because of the cost right after spending all my money on my new bike. In the end I just had to do it. It was just too good a deal to pass up.

The total cost was $450 for 15 weeks with coached sessions 4 days a week, membership at a local pool with access to the masters swim sessions, discounts at various local shops and the benifet of having a group experience. It made me even more broke than I already was but Its worth it.

The downside is that they use a different training software than BT so i have been spending alot of time there instead of here. it's not as active forum as BT but I know everyone and it makes planning group training sessions real easy. I still hope to check in from time to time. BT is definately the bigger and more active board but I decided to sacrafice that for the time being in order to get that hands on experience.

I hope everyone traing hard and trains well and I'll see you and check in here every so often.

Mark

2008-02-11 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
Good for you, Mark! Good luck with the team and give us an update.
2008-02-11 11:27 AM

Veteran
Allen, TX
Hey Everyone!

Yes, I'm still alive . .

Last week I was summonded to our corporate offices. Between all-day meetings, training a new employee and mandatory dinners every night, I've not been good about checking in and logging workouts. I'm worried about this week as well. All of these dinners that I'm having to attend are (a) seriously interferring with my workouts and (b) defeating my nutrition goals! ACK! At least I'm in town this week, so that's something.

I'm holding out hope that my schedule gets better soon, but that may not be realistic with everything that's on my plate. I've been giving serious thought to delaying my triathlon goals and sticking with running only for a while. I remeber that, once I started to feel confident in my running, that's when the bike and swim started to come together. Also, I think it may be less overwhelming for my schedule to only worry about getting runs in. Finally, nothing seems to clear my head better than a good run. With the stress I'm under right now, I need that BIG TIME.

I have to say that it seriously ticks me off that I'm having to delay my tri goals AGAIN, and it's more of a pisser b/c it's work related and not life related.

Not trying to whine . . just trying to find a way to work towards my long term goals while still meeting the day-to-day obligations.

On a more positive note, I did get to see some of the Mercedes Marathon that was held in Birmingham, AL yesterday. That definatly turned my little spark of desire into a more serious flame.
2008-02-12 12:57 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey Care!  Welcome back.  I know that it's tough when life gets in the way, and it will.  I still think it is very reasonable to think about doing a sprint this year.  I know you were interested in IronGirl.  There is still lots of time to get ready for it!

You can still concentrate the bulk of your training on the run, just get a bike and swim in once a week or so and you will be fine for that race!

2008-02-15 8:57 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey all,  Happy Friday!  The weather here is going to be awful tomorrow so I am going to move my brick to Sunday.  It will be cold and windy, but no rain so I will only be partially miserable

Have a great weekend all

2008-02-15 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
everyone have a great weekend!
2008-02-19 4:37 PM
in reply to: #1214432

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
You know those days when you are out training (in this case running) and it gets good to ya...and the only reason you go home is because your spouse might start to worry? I had one of those days yesterday...Cool air, stars, almost a full moon, the sound of crickets and bull frogs in the ponds along the side of the road...( I am in East Texas) It was awesome...I know there is a God...
2008-02-19 5:38 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
I love days like that.  I used to wear an ipod all of the time, but have been training a lot without.  It's cool just listening to your breathing and footsteps
2008-02-20 8:25 AM
in reply to: #1221828

User image

Veteran
Longview, TX
Marcy,

I have you to thank for that...I used to run with the IPOD all the time, but now I reserve that for the treadmill...I hope that as spring approaches I get a little faster so the mosquitioes don't have a chance to bite me...

Mike A.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dodgersmom's Group - The inn is full! Rss Feed  

of 8