make training the event my free time centers around
log workouts daily
log nutrition information daily

2008-01-03 6:30 PM
in reply to: #1129950

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Subject: RE: jldicarlo's group -- CLOSED
St John Re: Swimming: Definitely try to find a swim coach or instructor to watch you swim -- 1 or 2 "stroke clinics" could make a huge difference -- try a local high school (if it has a swim team) or swim club. I read an article that said most people who train by swimming lots of laps simply spend lots of time swimming inefficiently -- less laps/better technique was that coach's recommendation and it helped me.

Re: Bike Trainers: I ONLY train on the spinning bikes at the gym -- if there's no class, I just turn a bike around to face out the back wall window, watch the other gym rats (it looks into the free weights area), and crank up the Bruce Springsteen on my Zen player and sing out loud with the BOSS. I also have in mind in advance not just my total time, but how I want to spend it -- I will usually do 3-5 minute warm-up and then progressively longer, harder hills, some recovery time, a series of sprints, etc. It ain't as good as being out on the road, but I don't freeze my toes off either . . . . Also, remembering how much I struggled on the hills in my last race of last summer is a pretty strong motive force, and I've developed a mantra that I just keep repeating to myself: "Philly, Philly, how much do you want Philly".

Re: Goals: I think my 90% achievement on training plan is over-ambitious -- I'm scaling it back to 80% . . .
2008-01-03 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1132190

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine

I actually love the trainer.

I have several different Spinervals - Coach Troy will kick you butt.  Slap on a HRM and follow the workout, you will not get bored cause you will be sweating your butt off.

Matter of fact, thinking of getting a computrainer, any of you all have one?

2008-01-04 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1132190

User image

Expert
Tulsa
Elliot - 2008-01-03 6:30 PM

St John Re: Swimming: Definitely try to find a swim coach or instructor to watch you swim -- 1 or 2 "stroke clinics" could make a huge difference -- try a local high school (if it has a swim team) or swim club. I read an article that said most people who train by swimming lots of laps simply spend lots of time swimming inefficiently -- less laps/better technique was that coach's recommendation and it helped me.

Re: Bike Trainers: I ONLY train on the spinning bikes at the gym -- if there's no class, I just turn a bike around to face out the back wall window, watch the other gym rats (it looks into the free weights area), and crank up the Bruce Springsteen on my Zen player and sing out loud with the BOSS. I also have in mind in advance not just my total time, but how I want to spend it -- I will usually do 3-5 minute warm-up and then progressively longer, harder hills, some recovery time, a series of sprints, etc. It ain't as good as being out on the road, but I don't freeze my toes off either . . . . Also, remembering how much I struggled on the hills in my last race of last summer is a pretty strong motive force, and I've developed a mantra that I just keep repeating to myself: "Philly, Philly, how much do you want Philly".

Re: Goals: I think my 90% achievement on training plan is over-ambitious -- I'm scaling it back to 80% . . .

Yeah, i do spin classes as well....But the spinner bikes just don't train you the same as being on your bike on the trainer or the road. I've been riding the spin bikes for the last month and i finally got out on the road the other day and it was totally different. The hills burn more than anything on the spin bikes. And believe me i spin hard in those classes.
2008-01-04 5:08 PM
in reply to: #1132481

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Have it.  Love it. What do you want to know?

2008-01-04 5:39 PM
in reply to: #1098568

Sometimes Sunny South Florida
January Goals

I've pretty much got to agree with Dans goals above...
1. Log all food eaten and track calories in/out (weight is a BIG issue with me)
2. log all workouts daily on BT
3. Learn a passable freestyle stroke, and improve my cardiovascular fitness in the pool.

if I can get in the habit of logging daily through the month it should become routine.

2008-01-05 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1134769

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

PKAZZO - 2008-01-04 4:39 PM January Goals I've pretty much got to agree with Dans goals above... 1. Log all food eaten and track calories in/out (weight is a BIG issue with me) 2. log all workouts daily on BT 3. Learn a passable freestyle stroke, and improve my cardiovascular fitness in the pool. if I can get in the habit of logging daily through the month it should become routine.

Don't worry.  BT gets addictive.  The more friends I acquired the more I wanted to blog...it's a rare day I forget to log a workout.  

2008-01-06 9:18 PM

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ

1. Regarding the trainer: I totally agree -- even the best training bike and routine is not nearly as good as being on the road, but it's just too darn cold for me out there, so I use the spinning bikes at my gym

2. Regularly logging my training does become, if not addictive, then definitely something I look forward too -- I like seeing the green bars on the graph go up!

My #1 TOP goal: STOP SNACKING ON JUNK! Fritos and potato chips are NOT MY FRIEND!!! I eat a super healthy breakfast (here's the absolute best breakfast ever conceived: 1/2 cup dry oatmeal, 1 cup water; microwave 2 minutes; add 1 cup frozen bluberries; microwave 3 minutes; let stand 1 minute, add 1/2 cup applesauce -- the color is great, the taste is amazing, and you won't get hungry 'til 1 p.m.) , lunch, and dinner, and then, when my kids go to bed -- I hit the chips. Help me before I open another bag!!!!!
2008-01-07 12:44 PM

Indianapolis
rough last couple of days, stomach flu. how do you make workout info available for people to see. how do you add people from our group to friends list. how do you make this forum a favorite so that it is easy to pull up when i log on
2008-01-07 1:16 PM

Indianapolis
what is the best way to find races for the upcoming year. how many races is smart to do.
2008-01-07 7:23 PM
in reply to: #1134713

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
jldicarlo - 2008-01-04 5:08 PM

Have it.  Love it. What do you want to know?

Not sure really what to ask, I have some extra cash and my biggest goal is to have a much better bike split.  I have to use the trainer alot cause most of my during the week rides are at 5AM.   Everyone that has a  CT goes on and on about them. 

Have you "truly" improved your biking because of the CT?

2008-01-07 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1137941

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Elliot - 2008-01-06 8:18 PM 1. Regarding the trainer: I totally agree -- even the best training bike and routine is not nearly as good as being on the road, but it's just too darn cold for me out there, so I use the spinning bikes at my gym 2. Regularly logging my training does become, if not addictive, then definitely something I look forward too -- I like seeing the green bars on the graph go up! My #1 TOP goal: STOP SNACKING ON JUNK! Fritos and potato chips are NOT MY FRIEND!!! I eat a super healthy breakfast (here's the absolute best breakfast ever conceived: 1/2 cup dry oatmeal, 1 cup water; microwave 2 minutes; add 1 cup frozen bluberries; microwave 3 minutes; let stand 1 minute, add 1/2 cup applesauce -- the color is great, the taste is amazing, and you won't get hungry 'til 1 p.m.) , lunch, and dinner, and then, when my kids go to bed -- I hit the chips. Help me before I open another bag!!!!!

I suck at this too, but the best advice I've been given is that if you don't buy it you can't eat it.... 

2008-01-07 9:41 PM
in reply to: #1139137

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

dje101 - 2008-01-07 11:44 AM rough last couple of days, stomach flu. how do you make workout info available for people to see. how do you add people from our group to friends list. how do you make this forum a favorite so that it is easy to pull up when i log on

Okay, first...workouts.  Looks like you already have that done?  I can click on your logs and see your workouts.  Did you figure it out?  Or was that not what you meant?

Adding friends....go to your control panel.  Click on "Edit your training settings" and then click on the "Friends" tab.  Type in our names in a slot.  Then hit apply.  Voila.

Forum a favorite...I would copy the web address when you're looking at it and then go back into Control Panel and this time after "Edit your training settings" click on the "Goals" Tab and insert it as a link in your goals.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense. 

2008-01-07 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1139245

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

dje101 - 2008-01-07 12:16 PM what is the best way to find races for the upcoming year. how many races is smart to do.

I use google.  The BT directory is pretty good too.

As for number per year...it depends.  Some rules of thumb:

1.  Underkill is better than overkill.
2.  Not all races will carry the same significance.  You will have to decide which are your most important races (A races), semi-important (B races), and just training/fun/filler races (C races).
3.  2-3 A races are really the max in a season.  You can do quite a few B/C races.
4.  You need to allow yourself proper recovery after A races and sometimes B races. By theory a C race would be more like a big training day and doesn't need specific recovery.
5. For Oly's that I race hard I take about a week off.  HIM's 2-3 weeks, IM...well, haven't done that yet but I would do about a month of unscheduled training.

So, what does all that mean?  Pick your A races first.  The races you REALLY want to do and kick butt at.  Then in the gaps, fill in some B races for training/evaluating/prep, and then C races for fun/training.

In general, I don't race more than once a month on average.  Sometimes twice.

Um, I'm sure that spawned more questions...fire away. 

2008-01-07 9:51 PM
in reply to: #1140303

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Blueraider_Mike - 2008-01-07 6:23 PM
jldicarlo - 2008-01-04 5:08 PM

Have it. Love it. What do you want to know?

Not sure really what to ask, I have some extra cash and my biggest goal is to have a much better bike split. I have to use the trainer alot cause most of my during the week rides are at 5AM. Everyone that has a CT goes on and on about them.

Have you "truly" improved your biking because of the CT?

I improved because of the workouts I did.  But the Computrainer HIGHLY increases the quality of those workouts.  I really like that I can change the resistance level at will without getting off the bike.  It makes it SO easy to vary the workouts.  And you always have a benchmark too.  As long as you calibrate the CT you know from workout to workout that 150 watts is 150 watts.  If you can't push 150 watts one day and it's normally easy, you know you are tired.

It has definitely helped me get MORE out of my bike workouts.  Right now it's an expensive bike stand.   I sure hope the doc clears me to ride tomorrow.  

2008-01-09 4:57 AM
in reply to: #1140738

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Thanks for your ideas on the CT.  I am considering it, I am also getting a new bike.  Since I can't ride outside much the next 3 months I am thinking of buying the CT first.  I have an old Tri bike that has been sitting on my trainer.  

Speaking of bikes, I am traveling this week for work - off to the hotel bike...Laughing

2008-01-09 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Tulsa
So how much experience do you have with nutrition for the longer races? I did a half ironman last year so i have some knowledge, but i know my nutrition wasn't perfect at that race. I'm talking all liquid vs. gu's, powerbars and solid food. Any suggestions or comments?
2008-01-09 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1144689

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

ballyard7 - 2008-01-09 7:32 AM So how much experience do you have with nutrition for the longer races? I did a half ironman last year so i have some knowledge, but i know my nutrition wasn't perfect at that race. I'm talking all liquid vs. gu's, powerbars and solid food. Any suggestions or comments?

Nutrition is totally unique to each individual and the only way to see what works is to experiment during training.  And sometimes you need to train at race intensity to experiment.  For example, I loved eating PB crackers on training rides.  So I tried it in a race.  It's much harder in a race going full speed.  Oops.

I'm a huge fan of solid food at any race HIM or longer.  Sprint/Oly you are not working out long enough to get sick of gel.  But at the HIM distance you are out there for awhile and gel WILL get unappetizing at some point.  But I do rely heavily on a concentrated liquid bottle for the bike portion of any event simply because it is SO handy.

It's a sensitive balance...too much and your gut goes crazy on you...too little and you bonk.

I'm not sure what else to say other than you have to experiment in training and even in some less important races....you will find what works for you!

2008-01-09 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1145217

User image

Expert
Tulsa
jldicarlo - 2008-01-09 11:20 AM

ballyard7 - 2008-01-09 7:32 AM So how much experience do you have with nutrition for the longer races? I did a half ironman last year so i have some knowledge, but i know my nutrition wasn't perfect at that race. I'm talking all liquid vs. gu's, powerbars and solid food. Any suggestions or comments?

Nutrition is totally unique to each individual and the only way to see what works is to experiment during training.  And sometimes you need to train at race intensity to experiment.  For example, I loved eating PB crackers on training rides.  So I tried it in a race.  It's much harder in a race going full speed.  Oops.

I'm a huge fan of solid food at any race HIM or longer.  Sprint/Oly you are not working out long enough to get sick of gel.  But at the HIM distance you are out there for awhile and gel WILL get unappetizing at some point.  But I do rely heavily on a concentrated liquid bottle for the bike portion of any event simply because it is SO handy.

It's a sensitive balance...too much and your gut goes crazy on you...too little and you bonk.

I'm not sure what else to say other than you have to experiment in training and even in some less important races....you will find what works for you!

Thanks for the comments. Yeah i know i need more practice at it, but i was stupid and signed up for a March HIM. So i'm not going to get to many tries before the race due to freezing weather. I really liked the peanut butter and honey sandwich during the race.
2008-01-09 4:29 PM
in reply to: #1145308

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
ballyard7 - 2008-01-09 10:54 AM

Thanks for the comments. Yeah i know i need more practice at it, but i was stupid and signed up for a March HIM. So i'm not going to get to many tries before the race due to freezing weather. I really liked the peanut butter and honey sandwich during the race.

IMHO that falls under the category of too messy and hard to carry.  I wouldn't be able to eat that without the honey leaking all over the place.  And that would be a LOT of calories at once.  Can you think of something smaller and easier to handle?  Cookies?  Powerbars broken up into pieces?

2008-01-09 4:39 PM
in reply to: #1146262

User image

Expert
Tulsa
jldicarlo - 2008-01-09 4:29 PM

ballyard7 - 2008-01-09 10:54 AM

IMHO that falls under the category of too messy and hard to carry.  I wouldn't be able to eat that without the honey leaking all over the place.  And that would be a LOT of calories at once.  Can you think of something smaller and easier to handle?  Cookies?  Powerbars broken up into pieces?

I actually ate 1/2 at T2. And the honey dries pretty fast...it turns into something like a crust. I love the marathon snickers powerbar, so i might try that on my long bricks.

2008-01-10 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1146262

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Never thought about eating during T2...I guess I figured you just don't spend enough time there.
2008-01-10 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
Tulsa
Haha, yeah you are right i shouldn't have time and i probably won't now. It was my first HIM and i was racing, but i was also just sucking it all in and didn't care too much about my time. I wasn't "racing" fast because i didn't have enough training to do that. I just went for finishing.
2008-01-11 9:03 PM

New user

Ok, so now that I actually have some free time to speak of I'm totally geeking out on the BT site.

Just updated my workouts from the beginning of the year to now and updated the races that I did from last year (my virgin year). Then added the races I've already signed up for this year. I went a little crazy with the cheese wiz on the 1st and dropped like a thousand dollars on race entries for the year. Oops. I'm doing 13 races overall, one a month and two in October - 6 tri's and 7 running races.

Races I've signed up for this year. Feel free to make fun of me for my psychotic tendencies.

• Jan 19 - Too Cold to Hold 15k (White Rock Lake, Dallas, TX)

• Feb 23 - Cowtown 1/2 Marathon (Fort Worth, TX)

• Mar 15 - Seabrook Lucky Trails 1/2 Marathon (Seabrook, TX)

• Apr 6 - Big D 1/2 Marathon (Dallas, TX)

• May 10 - The Rookie Tri (New Braunfels, TX)

• May 25 - CapTexTri (Austin, TX)

• Jul 13 - Couples Triathlon (Austin, TX)

• Aug 3 - Jack's Generic Tri (New Braunfels, TX)

• Sep 1 - Austin Tri (Austin, TX)

• Oct 5 - Longhorn 70.3!!!!! (Austin, TX)

• Oct 19 - DSM 1/2 Marathon (Des Moines, IA)

• Nov 2 - NYC Marathon (NYC, NY)

• Dec 14 - White Rock 1/2 Marathon (Dallas, TX)

Thanks Jennifer for educating me on how to set up my goals, I had seen that feature on someone else's log and couldn't figure it out. I went ahead and typed up some things that I thought would be quantifiable for the month of January, but I'll go ahead and repeat my short term goals here.

January's Goals

• Be consistent in my training (hit 85% of pre-planned workouts)

• Build confidence in freestyle stroke
    - currently swim about 100 yards before having to switch to breast stroke -> end of Jan 200 yards

• Run 95 miles for the month of Jan

• Swim 13,850 yards for the month of Jan

• Get road bike out for long ride at least twice in Jan

2008-01-11 10:11 PM
in reply to: #1151589

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Wow.  Quite the schedule.  But you left off Buffalo Springs Lake HIM...it would fit so well in June.

Really I just want to do it but can't so I'm trying to talk everyone else into it.  You have some great races in there!

I like races because they keep me motivated to train.  So, I don't think you went too crazy with the cheese whiz.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jldicarlo's group -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6