BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2008-03-13 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1098972

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks!
Good Luck Scott and Teresa! We expect a full download of how it went for you! Have fun and thank the volunteers!!

2008-03-14 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1269474

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Scott and Teresa, we'll be thinking of you guys this weekend!  HAVE FUN! 
2008-03-15 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Wow, what an awesome experience. I was a little slower on the run that I had hoped, but it took me almost 2 miles to get my land legs back. I filed a race report with the initial results, but there are alot of missing times so an update will be forth coming.

Thanks to all ya'll!!!

Scooter 

2008-03-16 8:12 AM
in reply to: #1273874

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
smeador - 2008-03-15 6:33 PM

Wow, what an awesome experience. I was a little slower on the run that I had hoped, but it took me almost 2 miles to get my land legs back. I filed a race report with the initial results, but there are alot of missing times so an update will be forth coming.

Thanks to all ya'll!!!

Scooter 

You did GREAT!!!!!   I was checking in to your blog throughout the day yesterday to see how it went!  I'm so psyched for you!!!!!  FANTASTIC!

2008-03-17 9:49 AM

User image

I did a duathlon (2 run/13.4 bike/2 run) this week end and I will tell you all that swimming in a tri is looking might good. I kicked butt on the bike but I now officially suck at running. I discovered my race pace is my pace...period. The second run was hard, but I didn't walk once and wasn't last and finished in under 1:30 (1:28) which was my goal.

I have to keep in mind that my only other event was a try-it-tri last August which I estatically finished in 1 hour 53 min so, HUGE improvement.

I had a gigantic grin on my face the whole time (which strangely resembles my grimace) and won a tee shirt & a road ID at the metal ceremony. It was a fantastic start to the season. Thanks for all the well wishes!!!

Teresa

Edited by teresa 2008-03-17 9:52 AM
2008-03-17 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Fantastic Teresa! Congrats on improving your time and pace. It is an awesome feeling to cross the finish line with a big smile and the knowledge that you did my best!

Scott

Edited by smeador 2008-03-17 10:17 AM

2008-03-17 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1275767

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
Way to go Scott! I bet you're really hooked on triathlon now!
Great job Teresa! You've both trained hard and I'm glad you had good results. It makes me want to get out there and do something. Keep up the great work.

What's up with everyone else?
Is the coming of Spring making any difference in your training?

I"ve been able to run outside a few times - sure beats 50 or more laps on the indoor track. I've been gradually becoming a long distance runner - slow and steady. I had hoped to do a 6 mile run yesterday, but the knees were sore, so I did a self-made mini-tri at my health club. It was fun and it re-inspired me for swimming. Hope you're all doing well.

Have a great week everyone!
2008-03-17 12:47 PM

Congrats Scott and Theresa on you first events of the season!

Reading your blog and postings has made me excited/nervous for the first event here. It is looking like June 2nd is the first one I can get into, still trying to get details though. Few people are even remotely thinking about outdoor events here yet. There is a local triathalon swap meet / season kickoff next weekend and there is supposed to be registration booths and info there...

Got out for my first outdoor run this weekend. It was still pretty messy and cold, but was great to get out in the sun. Nice to try running on something other than the treadmill after training all winter. I did a course with some decent size hills and did 3-4km with very little effort. At least I was not breathing heavily or felt fatiqued... although I felt like I was running at a very low pace, but was monitoring my HR and was actually peaking. I thought that was a bit strange, but chalked that up to the hills and excitement of running for the first time outside, and possibly post flu activity too.... The extended daylight is really helping the motivation to get out and train though, and once it starts warming up a bit more, that should be even easier.

Brad

2008-03-19 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello group,
Yesterday I rode te course for an upcoming duathlon and I just wanted to share that if you have the opportunity to preride a course it is well worth it. I didn't think about pace a lot but thought about looking things over and thinking about turns, and layout, conserving for the monster hill etc. Very good experience. I also took my bike into the shop to have a prerace tune up done on it and he found things wrong that I didn't even know could be an issue. So I highly recommend doing this as well. (I didn't even know that your cassette gears could loosen up)

Hows training going for everyone??? I tried to switch things up and go back to doing some race pace work and immediatly went back to being sore and having to shorten up training distances so now I am back to the LSD method and it just works amazingly well. And the speed seems to be coming along too (Speed is so relative, basically for me it means I am not walking so much ) Happy training everyone
Scott
2008-03-19 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Good stuff, Scott.  You're right, seeing the course ahead of time is nice.  Even if you cant ride it, its nice to drive it to get a feel for what you're in for.

I see that I'm getting another convert to the easy pace for most/all of training. 

2008-03-19 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
You have a total convert. I have tried to switch back to my former method and all that results is soreness goes up and performance goes down. Not worth it and not enjoyable. I want to have fun doing tris so my old method doesn't work anymore. (I am not 16 anymore either...now that is a harsh reality)
Scott

2008-03-20 8:35 AM

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
Congratulations Scooter and Teresa!

I'm back as of today after a particularly bad case of what turned out to be strep throat. Being stoic and not going to the doctor until I was in tatters was a really bad choice for me. My approach is to just pickup where I left off and see how it goes. It's good to be back!

Alex
2008-03-20 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Welcome back, glad you are feeling better!
2008-03-20 9:27 AM
in reply to: #1282449

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Good deal, Alex, glad to have you back amoungst the living! 
2008-03-20 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hi Ridge and group,
I hope I am not being a question hog but I did a practice run of the upcoming duathlon and had a few questions.

1) At about 1:15 I felt the perverbial (sp?) wall. Is gel a good idea on a shorter race. ( The whole thing takes about 2 hours for me)

2) I had a negative split on both runs and the bike. Is this good or bad? Should I be looking at my strategy differently. Not that I have a huge strategy...I even practiced smiling today.

3) Will the rubber legs get better with practice from the transition from bike back to run or do I just need to learn how to cope?

Thanks again for your help. The LSD training is paying off nicely.

Scott

Edited by holt1997 2008-03-20 5:34 PM
2008-03-20 8:35 PM
in reply to: #1284057

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Good questions!  I'm glad you have some.  I hope others do as well.   Its how we all learn.

1) Hitting the wall is when the body has burned up all its stored carbohydrates and the body is forced to use fat as its sole energy source.   If you've eaten properly, you'll have about 2000 calories of stored carbs.  Intense exercise burns probably 800 per hour.  So you should have enough energy for at least a couple hours. 

So I'm guessing you didn't hit the wall in the truest sense.  But what I suspect happened, and its happened to me, is that you're still in the process of improving your endurance.  It takes the body a long time to develop good muscle endurance.  I'm guessing you're still in the process of improving your muscle endurance.  Keep working.  It will come in time.

2) Negative splitting is good.  I frequently do that in most of my races.  I think its Joe Friel, a top tri coach, who says that ideally we'd negative split with 51% in the first half and 49% of time for the second.   But given the normal variance in race courses, thats almost impossible to really figure out.

3) Rubber legs are something that can be practiced.  The body will adjust with regular practice.  But even if you don't, studies have shown that by 1/4 of a mile, your run is back to normal.

Good questions!

2008-03-21 8:54 AM

User image

Good friday morning to everyone.

Would you explain the negative split thing a little more? What exactly is it and why is it good?

Thanks and..... Be like a horse; don't think, just run!!
2008-03-21 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1284920

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

teresa - 2008-03-21 9:54 AM Good friday morning to everyone. Would you explain the negative split thing a little more? What exactly is it and why is it good? Thanks and..... Be like a horse; don't think, just run!!

Happy Good Friday to you as well. 

Negative split.  It means going faster in the last half of a race than the first half.

There's a good article here on BT that talks about it some.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1434

Joe Friel, on his blog, talks some about negative splitting and pacing as well.  Here's a link to his blog.  His Feb 12, 2008 post talks about negative splitting.

http://www2.trainingbible.com/joesblog/blog.html

Hope these help answer the question(s)!

2008-03-23 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hey Everyone,
Happy Easter!!! I hope you get a chance to relax and enjoy this day.
Scott
2008-03-24 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Just wonderin what everyone's schedule is over the next couple of weeks. I have a DU the 29th. Anyone else have anything coming up? How can we encourage each other?
2008-03-24 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

I have a Bike Tour (8 mi) with the wifey on the 5th and a Half-Mary on the 6th.

I have a major new computer system going in at work on the 1st, so can I count that since my shift will be totally out of whack until the 4th? Foot in mouth

Scott M.

2008-03-24 3:17 PM

Regular
I have my first and only duathlon on April 6th. My husband and I drove the course last night, and it certainly is doable. Our only mistake was that we looked up last year's results. Based on last year's entries, we may be the last to finish. I was hoping that there would be more people like me (people who just set a goal to finish) entered. Truthfully, I was hoping that there were a lot of overweight people in their 60s riding mountain bikes....I figured I could at least keep up with them. I am trying to tell myself that time is not what is important. My husband is hoping that it snows that day and cancels the race (it would be nice, but snow in April around here is unlikely). There were less than 100 people who participated in the event last year; this year there are 166 people signed up. I just keep telling myself that we finished ahead of the ones who never started. Also, the training for this event has been great. I am in better shape than I have ever been this time of year, and I can run/slog farther than I ever have in my entire life. My husband has also lost 13 pounds during our training. So, I will just keep thinking positive thoughts and hoping for snow.
2008-03-24 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1290291

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
colewarren - 2008-03-24 1:17 PM
I have my first and only duathlon on April 6th. My husband and I drove the course last night, and it certainly is doable. Our only mistake was that we looked up last year's results. Based on last year's entries, we may be the last to finish. I was hoping that there would be more people like me (people who just set a goal to finish) entered. Truthfully, I was hoping that there were a lot of overweight people in their 60s riding mountain bikes....I figured I could at least keep up with them. I am trying to tell myself that time is not what is important.

You'll do great, both of you! Chances are you will NOT finish last. But if you do, so what? The other athletes all know that every finisher, first to last, has put in time and effort for training, and often the "slower" finishers have a more interesting/compelling story to tell than those who are "faster." Stay in the race and stop praying for snow .

Believe me, you don't want to miss out on the comraderie and fun from the other competitors and race volunteers. This wil be a GREAT experience for both of you. Don't start to doubt yourselves now! You've done the work, now enjoy the reward of the race!!!

J
2008-03-24 4:10 PM

User image

Cole, I, like your husband, prayed for snow, sleet, or any act of God to stop the race a couple weeks ago so i can totally relate to the goal of not wanting to finishing last. But, I always figured someone had to, and if it was me, I would do it with a smile. The season is just starting so set your personal goals. A swimming coach gave me some great advice when I was wining about the 70 year old guy lapping me in the pool. She said it was none of my business what pace anyone else was going. So, now when I feel the urge to speed up when someone passes me, I just tell myself that it is none of my business. Works great (for me).

Hope that helps and go kick some butt. Set your personal goals and you will be a winner. Good Luck and have fun!!!

2008-03-25 9:47 AM

User image

There was an interesting talk at my tri club meeting last night. After a nutrition talk, a dentist spoke. He was raised in a family of dentists and had no cavities until he started training for triathlons. Within a year he had 10. Nothing changed in his diet so he did some research and discovered a trend of an increase in cavities in endurance athletes due to the slow infusion of sports drinks. A gatoraid has 8 tsps of sugar. Sipping on that adding shot bloks and in 1 hour you have coated your teeth with 14 tsps of sugar. Multiply that by multi hour workouts and the bacteria in your mouth are having a hayday.

His suggestions were to chew gum during long rides with xylitol being the first ingredient. Xylitol increases your saliva production which is your natural defense against mouth bacteria. Next, drink your sports drinks quickly instead of sipping on them. Eat your electrolyes if you can and always rinse with plain water after you drink or eat carbs (sugar).

There you go..great tips to keep your pearly whites gleaming at the finish line
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  

of 19