BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2007-12-12 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks!

NAME: Ridgelake / Rob

STORY: I'm 39 years old.  I started working out in 2004 when the waistline was heading in a bad direction.  Got the crazy idea to do a triathlon in 2005 and ended up doing 4 sprints.  I was totally hooked.  In 2006, I wanted to move up to Olympic distances, but was only able to do 1 sprint due to injuries.  I battled injuries to my calves, feet, hip, side, and also had shoulder surgery.  I was able to do 1 sprint tri at the end of 2007 and had a blast.  I'm looking forward to 2008 and racing both sprints and olympic distances.  I still love this sport! 

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married with 2 boys, ages 10 and 6.  My oldest is a special needs child.  I work a very full-time job.  Time is at a premium!

CURRENT TRAINING: I've learned a lot about training and my body over the last three years.  My primary focus is staying healthy and being consistent with workouts.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Due to injury, I was only able to compete in 1 race this past season.  I had a fabulous time and far exceeded my expectations for performance.

2008 RACES:  I'm hoping to participate in several sprint and olympic distance races this upcoming season.

WEIGHTLOSS: I got into triathlons because I knew I was getting into trouble heathwise.  In 2004, I weighed over 200 lbs, was 25%+ body fat, and had a 37" waist.  In 2005, I lost about 20 pounds.  By summer 2006, I was around 167, 5% body fat, and a 30" waist.  I've been from 166 to 170 since that time.  In addition to exercise improvements, I've totally revamped my diet. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've been through a lot in the last 3 years. Dealing with injuries, staying motivated, juggling other major commitments, losing weight, making lifestyle changes.  Hopefully some of this experience will help others.

Edited by Ridgelake 2008-02-12 1:08 PM

2007-12-26 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1098972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Open

Howdy Rob,

I hope that the Christmas season has been a good one for you and your family. I would like to join your mentoring group.

I am in the same boat that you were a few years ago. Right now my body fat is running around 28% with a 38/40 waistline. I have gone from 276 to 236 over the past year and one of my goals to take off approx 40-50 more pounds. 

Over the past year I have completed several 5Ks, including my very first race. My biggest goal accomplishment was completing the Whiterock Half-Marathon (fmy first long distance race) under 3 hours. Well I made it in 2:59:23, made that one close. It has also been a desire to do a triathlon(s). Completing the half has given me new vigor to set the goal for a sprint.

I have began my training for the sprint and logging them in the log, so I am well on my way. I believe that a mentor will be a tremendous assest for me.

Scott

Goal Summary:

1) Complete the St. Patricks Day Tri in Keller, TX.

2) Complete the Fort Worth Cowtown Marathon.

3) Complete a sub 30m 5k.

2007-12-26 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Welcome Scott!!!

I'm very excited to have you join this group!  From your desciption, it looks like you're well on your way to achieving many, many, fantastic goals! 

40 lbs lost so far?  Excellent!  Run your first 1/2 marathon?  Wish I could do that!  Great job!

So you've got your first tri coming up in a couple months or so?  Awesome! 

I'll take a look at your logs and see what good stuff you've been doing.  If you have any questions about anything, please let me know!

Welcome again!

Rob

2007-12-26 10:28 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
Hi Rob,
I'd like to join your group too!

I'm a 46 year-old stay-at-home mom, very happily married, somewhat busy, but have enough time to do some training. My goal is to train for and complete the Valley Girl Sprint Tri in Spokane Valley, (Washington state). It's a women's only tri and is a blast.

I think all your experiences over the past three years will make you a good mentor for me. I did my first tri in 2006 (sprint) and loved it, but then I have been sick/injured for most of 2007. I got my tonsils removed in September, so I'm no longer sick all the time, but I'm WAY out of shape, overweight by about 20 lbs, and have knee problems. I think the knee problems will clear up once I drop some weight - if not, I'm willing to walk the tri if necessary.

Goals:
Build to 5 miles of walking/running 2-3 times per week.
Lose the extra weight gradually through smarter eating and exercise.
Begin strength program and do 2 times per week.
Start indoor cycling 2 times per week (it's icy outside)
Swim 1000 yds 2 times per week, and start to increase speed.
Do all this gradually, avoiding injury and illness.

Thanks for your willingness to help!

Joann in Spokane

2007-12-27 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Hi Joann!  Welcome!

Glad to have you join Scott and me in this little adventure we're on! 

I just took a moment to look through your logs, and I think you've got a very similar philosophy to what I've come to believe.  Gradually increase distance/effort so as to minimize injury risk.  Consistency is the key.

You mention walking leading to running.  Well, as I was coming off injury this past summer, I started doing 30 minute walks.  Those led to occasional 1-2 minute jogs while doing the 30 minute walk.  More time went by and the amount of running increased and the amount of walking decreased.  By the end of the summer, I was doing hour long runs.

We're going to have to be careful about your knee.  Don't want that getting aggravated.  It seems like you have a good handle on whats upsetting it though.  Knowing the triggers are half the battle.

I just noticed that this was your first post.  Hopefully that will be the first of many!

Please feel free to ask questions.  Thats what this forum is for. 

Welcome aboard!

Rob

2007-12-27 10:08 AM

Hi Rob.

I just read about this mentor program, and I think it is a great idea, and would like to join your group. Your story/age/situation is very similar to my own.

NAME: Brad

STORY: I am 37 years old and have been wanting to do a triathalon for a number of years. 2 summers ago, I got serious about it and began training for the Fredericton, NB triathalon which happens the end of August. I would consider myself a very strong swimmer and cyclist, but have been weak in the running department. That summer I started training fairly intensly for the running portion, and competed in a couple of 5K races in NB. Approximately a month prior to the triathalon, I overdid my training and blew out my knee, and was unable to do anything for a good 6 months or so afterwards and gained a significant amount of weight as a result (>50 lbs). This fall I decided to start this quest again, and decided to try to find some good guideance on how to train, and turned to this site. It has been a great help so far.

FAMILY STATUS:
Single

CURRENT TRAINING:
I have been training regularly since July of 2007. I generally spend at least 4 days per week at the gym running/cycling/ swimming or doing weights. I started one of the BT training programs a few weeks ago, and have been finding it really intense so far. I did not want to burn myself out early, and knew that Christmas was coming which would make it hard to keep up for Dec. I am back to work from Christmas season though, and am determined to start reaching the training goals laid out. I have quite a bit of time to train, since Tri season starts late up here. First one is in June. I am considering traveling south to do an earlier one somewhere in the US. Possibly the NY area.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
none.

2008 RACES:
Navy Trident Triathalon - June 3rd
There are a lot of others in the area all summer. Not sure which I will do yet.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I am in pretty good shape now, good muscle tone, but should lose an additional ~15 lbs. Nutrition has been my biggest challenge so far. Increasing training, but not sure how much to increase my eating and when to eat. Been starting to get it figured out a bit lately though.

2007-12-27 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Welcome, Brad!

We now have a nice international flavor to our rowdy bunch.

Looks like you've got a nice base going with working out since July.  And looking through your logs, you do seem like you're a pretty good swimmer. 

How's the knee holding up the last 6 months?

I've got some thoughts about diet and how that all fits in. 

Glad to have you part of the group. 

Rob

2007-12-27 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1118687

Knee has fully recovered, I have actually been doing more running than ever for the past 6 months and have not had a bit of pain. I took real care to bring my running up gradually, in fear of re-injury, but am now running much more, and much faster than I was previously. Running is still my weak spot though and will require the most work for me.

I actually only started swimming again whenever I first logged it on here, 6-8 weeks or so ago. I had not been in the water for at least 12 months and probably more like 18 months. I have been working strictly on technique as well (I got some great technique advice from this site already, and have been doing a bunch of the recommended drills and can already see a big difference in my lap times, and my lats are noticible more developed in just the 6 weeks or so I have been doing them). Even with the short time I have been back at swimming actually feel like I am pretty much back up to my endurance level from a year or so ago when I would regularly (2-3 times per week) do a 2 mile constant swim.

I look forward to any advice that you can give nutritionally or otherwise, and I also think that this going to be a great motivational tool. This site has already been very useful for me, and I am hoping to crank the training up a bit in the new year.

I have a couple of questions for you already... you are from the NY area, another cold, snowey, spot. What do you do for training in the winter? How much indoor vs outdoor activity. How you maintain motivation when training indoor? The training programs on this site usually just say to do 45 mins of biking, or a certain distance... any tips on how to translate that to an exercise bike? ie: what programs may be best to set them on? (hills, cardio, or some constant level?)

Brad
2007-12-27 2:40 PM

User image

Regular
I'm interested in giving this a go, if there is still room.

NAME: Catjammies/David (Catjammies was the name of a sailboat we used to own, so it has become our username for almost everything)

STORY: 41 years old. Live in Berthoud, Colorado. Work in Boulder (insert Boulder joke here). My wife started getting involved in Triathlon around ’04 and after watching how much fun she was having with both training and competition, I decided I might give it a go. I’m a life long swimmer, able to maintain 1:30m/100y almost indefinitely. However, I am NOT a runner and am fairly new to biking. I have only been self-coached in the bike and run and probably do all kinds of things wrong.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married with one son (15) (who will get his drivers permit this week. YIKES!!)

CURRENT TRAINING: I have done very little training over the previous 6 months. I need to get back at it. This forum certainly seems like the kind of thing that will help me maintain my focus on goals, especially through the doldrums of winter in Colorado (and to perk me up when I am not meeting my expectations.)

PREVIOUS RACES: My first race was 3 years ago. I decided to try a sprint w/ my wife with basically no training just to see how I liked it. 2 flats before I got out of T1 ended that day. The next year, we decided to sign up for the Glenwood Springs triathlon kind of as an anniversary date weekend. I actually trained a little bit for this one and had a blast. I was hooked. The following year (last summer) I signed up for an early season sprint (Longmont) and trained hard for it. I was very disappointed in my results and basically spent the rest of the summer sulking and not training for any of the goals I had set. Childish, I know, but I was stubborn about it.

2008 RACES: This year I want to set a lofty goal of the Boulder 5430 Long Course (Half Iron) in August. Registration opens New Years Day, and I thought, what better motivation for a new year resolution than shelling out the registration $$$. To squash the demons of last year’s Longmont performance, I thought I would do the Longmont Tri again this year as an early season tune up as well as the Loveland Lake-to-Lake Tri (Oly) in late June to built toward the 5430.
2007-12-27 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Welcome David!

I like that name.  Catjammies.  You could have a lot of fun with that one. 

Glad to have you aboard.  You've got a very ambitious goal for yourself with a Half Iron late this upcoming summer.  No time like the present to get started training!

Learners permit for the son?  Oh boy, I'm NOT looking forward to that milestone with my kids. 

Its great that your wife is interested in tris.  Thats got to help so much having a built in training partner and additional motivator there with you all the time. 

So you're a swimmer.  Good deal.  Thats a major hurdle for a lot of people getting into tris.  If you can do 1:30/100 yard pace aerobically, you're going to be in the top 10% of swimmers in most any tri you do.   So it seems like we're going to have to get your bike and run up to snuff for your tri.  Fair enough. 

I just took a look at your logs.  Yes, you have taken a bit of time off the last 6 months.    Ok, we'll have to see what we can do to change that. 

Welcome to the group.  Glad you're part of the team!

2007-12-27 3:25 PM
in reply to: #1118949

User image

Regular
Ridgelake - 2007-12-27 2:05 PM

I just took a look at your logs.  Yes, you have taken a bit of time off the last 6 months.   QUOTE]

I completely quit logging, but did manage to run once in a while. Nowhere near where I need to be, though. This weekend I plan on replacing my running shoes and getting my bike on the trainer so I am fully ready to get going again.

Wifey is thinking about doing the Oly with me this year, but says I am on my own if I want to do a Half. The 5430 sounds like a good race from the reports here on BT.

Edited by catjammies 2007-12-27 3:32 PM

2007-12-27 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

This group will take 1 more spot.  I think for my first time mentoring, 5 will be the group size.

Brad,

Very glad to hear that the knee is not causing problems.  Thats a big relief!  And not incidently, I think your approach to build up running very gradually is spot on the right approach.  I've learned that lesson the hard way.

You have several questions.  I'll do my best to answer them.  I'm going to wait on the nutrition question when I have more time to piece together a response.

Winter exercise.  You're right, we are indoors a lot more.  For biking, I do 2 things.  1) I have an indoor trainer that I hook my bike to.  I'll ride for an hour or so and watch TV, usually football.  If you could not tell already from my avatar, I'm a big Dallas Cowboys football fan.  So riding my bike on a trainer is one thing that I'll do.  2) I'll participate in spin classes at the gym.  SPinning isnt exactly the same as outdoor biking, but its close enough to be beneficial.  I do try to set up the spin bike to be close to what my regular bike setup is like.  And I also try to make sure my cadence on the spin bike is similar to what I'd use on the road.  Often, the spin instructors want the class to go in a different direction that what I'd prefer as a triathlete.

As for running here in winter, I'm still figuring out what my body can handle.  I am consistently fighting some problems with my calves.  I'm in the process of testing what conditions set it off.  I've eliminated snowy paths.  Pavement, I can do shorter distances, but going long on this surface gives me problems.  I'm still waiting to fully test treadmills.

Some alternatives that I've done in the past is snow shoeing, eliptical trainers, stair climbers, and others.  It just depends on what's available, what seems fun, and what my body seems like its ready to handle.

You had a questions about translating prescribed workouts to an exercise bike.   In contrast to the road, an exercise bike really has 2 ways you can ride it.  1) constant steady state.  2) intervals -  from either heavier resistance or faster leg cadence.  Both have benefit and target slightly different physiologic systems.  Intervals are probably more interesting to do.   They break up the monotony.  And doing them probably more closely mimics road riding.  On the road, you go up hills (increased intensity), go down hills (decreased intensity), maybe come to a stop, etc. 

I'll add some more thoughts when I get some more time.  I at work at the moment and should be doing somethign that I actually get paid to do. 

2007-12-27 3:42 PM
in reply to: #1118990

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

catjammies - 2007-12-27 4:25 PM
Ridgelake - 2007-12-27 2:05 PM I just took a look at your logs.  Yes, you have taken a bit of time off the last 6 months.   QUOTE] I completely quit logging, but did manage to run once in a while. Nowhere near where I need to be, though. This weekend I plan on replacing my running shoes and getting my bike on the trainer so I am fully ready to get going again. Wifey is thinking about doing the Oly with me this year, but says I am on my own if I want to do a Half. The 5430 sounds like a good race from the reports here on BT.

Glad you were not completely on the couch. 

VERY good idea on replacing the running shoes.  Keeping shoes fresh definitely helps reduce the injury risk.

I've heard good things about the 5430.  Its definitely an ambitious goal.  But reaching goals is so, so much fun.

2007-12-27 3:55 PM

User image

If I can count right, you have room for one more???

I am a 44 y/o mom of three boys, two of whom have moved out (because they are 20 somethings) and the third is 15. Last summer I decided it was time for "me" and was ready to get in shape. I went to Ironman Coeur d Alene to watch a friend of a friend, and was literlly moved to tears. I cannot describe how I felt and how it changed my life. I smoked, ran only to the fridge and back at commercial breaks and swam when I wa 12 years old. Within a week I bought a swim suit(yikes), a bike and my first pair of running shoes I actually ran in and, best of all, quit smoking.
A friend was doing try it tri in 5 weeks so that got me moving. I did the race sidestroke (terrifying), biked with a ridiculous grin on my face, and walked most of the three miles , but finished under 2 hours (my goal) and cried like a baby. What a rollercoaster and of course I am totally addicted.

I have been blessed with good genetics and never have had to try to stay thin, well, not too fat, but have never been in shape. The changes I have seen in the last 6 months have been great!!

I put about 600 miles on my bike this summer, can now run 5 miles three times a week and took a swim class improving my mile time from 45 in with my head out of the water to 25 min crawl. I ROCK!!!

My goal is to do an olymipic distance by april and a half Iron by September.

I LOVE this sport.

thanks and hope you still have room

Teresa

Edited by teresa 2007-12-27 4:00 PM
2007-12-27 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1119052

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Teresa,

Welcome!  What a great story you have!  Totally turning your life around like that.  Thats whats so amazing about triathlons, BT, and life in general. 

You definitely have a very nice base established if you've got 600 miles biking, run 15 miles per week, and can do 25 minute mile swims.  You are well on your way to doing great in an Oly and transitioning to a half iron! 

I'm very excited to have each of you in this group.  I think we're going to have a lot of fun razzing each other, and more importantly, helping one another reach our goals.  

Over the next day or so, I'm going to put out some questions for everyone to answer.  I'd like to know what each of you is hoping to achieve in the next year, how you think you're going to go about that, and how the group and BT can help you to that.

Much, much more to come!

2007-12-27 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Filled Up with Awesome Folks!

Ok, I have to ask...Where did you get the Redskins/Cowboys animated pic? I would love to have it!!!

Scott 

2007-12-27 4:20 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Scott,

I get those from a Cowboys blog that I frequent.  www.theboysblog.com

The avatar itself is from the page http://theboysblog.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/  They have a long list of different images.  My avatar is one of my particular favorites.

And for a REALLY funny avatar, check out David's.  You may have to enlarge the pic to make it out, but its freaking hysterical. 

Edited by Ridgelake 2007-12-27 4:22 PM
2007-12-27 4:26 PM

New user

Edited by joel.wilkins 2007-12-27 4:27 PM
2007-12-28 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Good morning everyone!  Hope you all are doing well today. 

A couple of things we need to do.

First, I'd like all of you to log your workouts here on BT.  Most of you already are, but it would be great for everyone to do this.  It will be much easier for everyone to follow what you're doing if its in public view. 

Second, please add all of the team members to your Friends list on your blog.  This also makes it easier for all of us fo follow one another.  I plan on visiting your logs regularly.  Hopefully we'll all be doing that with each other to give Inspires, pointers, or whatever.

Now, with those items covered, I have a question for each of you.  What is it that you want to get out of doing triathlons?

I'll give my answer first.  To me, triathlons are an offshoot from a lifestyle that I've adopted over the last couple of years.  One of fitness, health, proper eating.  I feel so much better, much more energetic and vibrant, since I started eating right and exercising regularly.  Triathalons are a fun thing to do.  They give me a goal to shoot for.  They provide a training focus beyond what I'd do normally.  There is so much positive energy at a race, with so many fantastic people, it is truly one of life's great pleasures to be a part of it. 

So to summarize, triathlons result from having adopted a healthy lifestyle.  They provide an increased training focus.  They are great opportunity to spend time with some of the best people I've ever met on this earth.

2007-12-28 8:52 AM

User image

Regular
OK, I'll start.

What is it that you want to get out of doing triathlons?

At first, I just wanted to join in something that was bringing pleasure and a sense of accomplishment to my wife. Once I got into it, however, I found out how much it helped me focus my training. There is a real purpose to workouts. Also, I have found that as I yo-yo between working out hard, and hardly working, that my chronic back troubles are MUCH reduced while training. I have more energy too. Having never been a runner or biker, it is satisfying to see the leaps of improvements one can make "early" in a tri career.

I'm competitive by nature, so entering an event, and then really setting goals and going after them fuels me.

It also doesn't suck that while training, I look better with my shirt off.

BTW, I got some Brooks Adrenalines (highest rated by BT best of 2007 votes) last night for $49.99. They are usually on the shy side of $100. The price was so good, my wife is sending my over today to get her a pair.
2007-12-28 9:02 AM

User image

Regular
"Second, please add all of the team members to your Friends list on your blog."

So how is this done?

2007-12-28 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1119105

User image

Regular
Ridgelake - 2007-12-27 3:20 PM

And for a REALLY funny avatar, check out David's.  You may have to enlarge the pic to make it out, but its freaking hysterical. 

Thanks! To see the full size version, you can click on my user name, then on "This user has a photo available".

Its a self portrait........
2007-12-28 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1120087

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

catjammies - 2007-12-28 10:02 AM "Second, please add all of the team members to your Friends list on your blog." So how is this done?

Here's a link to the Mentor group instructions that Ron posted.  Its got a lot of good ideas and describes methods for doing things like this. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=61917&posts=21&start=1

Copied from that page is:

Add your group to your training log
Add your mentor and other group members to your training log for easy access to view their workouts and to leave comments.  You can configure your training log settings and add these people by username to your 'friends' list via your training log control panel.

*You will want to set your log to 'public' for this program so your group can see you.

To access the training log control panel, go to your blog page.  Under the "Quick Links" on the left side of hte page nest to the calendar is an icon that looks like a chalk board.  Thats the icon for the control panel.  Once you go to the control panel, click on the "Friends" tab.  There, you will be able to enter everyone's names as well as any others you might want to add.

2007-12-28 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: Team Member List

Ok, want to make sure I have all the correct team members:

catjammies

spokanejo

brideout

teresa

smeador

Correct?

Scott

2007-12-28 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Scott, you are correct. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  

of 19