General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Runner turning to triathlons...jumping in with both feet! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-16 7:19 PM

User image

Subject: Runner turning to triathlons...jumping in with both feet!
I have been in the triathlon world of observers and now I have decided to make the leap into the world of participants. My wife and I just finished our second marathon so we are relatively fit but we wanted to keep our training fresh and our bodies fresh by not pounding the pavement as much as we need to during Marathon training. This is how the idea of trying triathlon came about. And now after much internet surfing and trying to figure out where to start, we stumbled onto this site. I think it is awesome and I plan on using it as much as possible!

Our first necessity was to select a goal. We have noticed that we do not work that well without a specific goal and some sort of laid out training program to keep us motivated. Sad, perhaps, but true and important to recognize this fact. My eventual goal is to complete an Ironman. Pretty big dreams, I know. But at one point the idea of a marathon seemed like it was a pretty big dream! We have already decided to try a sprint and an Olympic distance early next season here in Guatemala, where we live. We have also signed up for the Vineman 1/2 IM on July 31st, '05. Our goal? To finish in one piece.

This last decision may prove to be an overzealous one, but we thought about it for a while and knew that a trip to Northern California and a HUGE challenge, would be just the thing to keep us motivated until summer. Of course it didn't help that I bought the book "Becoming an Ironman" that has these awesome motivational stories about people who did their first IM's. There is one story of a couple who signed up for IM Lake Placid and had never done a triathlon before..and they had kids! They did great, of course. Needless to say, we made the commitment and went for it.

Now the journey begins. We obviously have a strong running base and should be able to keep that one. The swim worries both of us as we have never been swimmers, but we figure it is possible. I truly believe that with the bike, it is mostly about putting in the hours, to develop those muscles. I am not an avid rider, but I have gone through phases where I have done more biking than anything else.

Well there it is! There I am. You folks on this site are so encouraging and positive and this is part of the reason we are doing this, so don't let us down now :-)

Edited by lifeisgood 2004-11-16 7:22 PM

2004-11-16 10:05 PM
in reply to: #83469

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Subject: RE: Runner turning to triathlons...jumping in with both feet!
Hey there lifeisgood ... welcome to BT! ... there are many of us in different situations starting down the road as you are, you will find plenty of information here, and along the lines of the book you mentioned, I find the first time articles and race reports most interesting and inspirational. Good luck to you and your wife .. im sure it will be agoal you will both reach.

Oh and on the swimming, i am in the same boat as you both (maybe I should get out of the boat and swim ), from what I have read here, Total Submersion is something you should check out (Book/DVD).

Cheers
Adam
2004-11-16 10:38 PM

User image

Master
Congratulations on your decision to do your first tri! check out the not found another free site on the log book on this site. It is really awesome... I have not found another free site on the web that offers HALF of what Ron gives us for free! Hope to see you around the site!
2004-11-17 12:42 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Welcome!  A 1/2 is a great goal and I did one in my first tri season, so it can be done.

good luck!

2004-11-17 12:53 AM

Hello and welcome to the both of you! I work on the same basis of needing a solid goal with a solid plan to keep myself going and motivated. I too have just started, however, I do not have the running base that you already have I wish you the best of luck, and just remember to have fun!
2004-11-17 4:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Welcome and all the very best with your training.
It's great that you are able to make the commitment and train together towards your goal.
I know you two can do it!
Running is such a great base to have and I am certain that you will get better and better in the pool!
Good Luck!
M

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Runner turning to triathlons...jumping in with both feet! Rss Feed