BT Development Mentor Program Archives » apw0397's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2008-04-14 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1102477

Veteran
Orange County, CA
Subject: RE: apw0397's group - CLOSED
Excellent weekend everyone. Wow, great job Andy and crozetiga! I'm very proud of you both.

2008-04-14 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1336083

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

not really that close at all.... i think i have problem actually taking myself to that edge.  I may have been able to run faster, I just dont know.  My HR avg was 169 which is the upper edge of zone 3.   I wasnt looking at zones or HR much during the race, i was just going by feel.  Maybe my mind is psyching me out because my HR says i can go faster.  I have another chance next weekend to push the limits with a short duathlon- (2.5-14-2.5)   Should i try to watch my HR and see if i can get it up into zone 4 more?   What do you think.

For a du, I usually take the first run on the easier side. No higher than Z3. People will usually blow up on the first run and have nothing left for the next one. Pace yourself on the first run, and then go pretty hard - around LT - on the bike. That should leave you with a HR pretty close to LT when you start the run. Take the first mile HARD. See how that feels. If you can speed up, go faster for the next mile. Make your legs cry. If you can't go faster but can stay that same pace, do that. Either way, your HR will rise. On the last half mile, think about something that makes you angry and push with what you have left. If that doesn't get your HR up, I don't know what will.

Check out my race report for Disco last year. It was supposed to be an Olympic tri, but due to a nearby city pumping raw sewage into the lake, they cancelled the swim and made it a 2 mile run at the start for the Oly.

Edited by apw0397 2008-04-14 10:17 AM
2008-04-14 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1336096

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

sunmonkey72 - 2008-04-14 10:10 AM Excellent weekend everyone. Wow, great job Andy and crozetiga! I'm very proud of you both.

Thanks Lisa! Now it's your turn!

2008-04-14 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1335954

Veteran
Orange County, CA
sonnyk - 2008-04-14 9:34 AM

Congrats on the 1st place finish! That swim pace is amazing to me...I learned how to swim 2 years ago using TI but just can't seem to go faster than 2:30/100. I'm looking around for a swim coach but haven't found one yet...I've been doing drills but now I'm thinking of putting in some interval training as well...so what's the secret???
I hear ya'. I learned how to swim from reading books and watching other people swim. When I first got in the pool to figure it all out on my own I couldn't finish one length of the pool without the fear of drowning.

I'd love to join a masters group, or hire a coach, but right now it's not feasible. Plus, the local masters group workouts are at odd times and don't fit into my schedule at all.
2008-04-14 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1336153

Veteran
Orange County, CA

Thanks Lisa! Now it's your turn!

In the words of Glenn Frey, "The heat is on."

In more ways than one. My race is in Palm Springs, and they have consistently had temperatures in the 90s for the past week, and that's about what it will be on race day. Good thing the race begins at 7:30.

I'm excited and nervous.
2008-04-15 5:46 PM
in reply to: #1225582

Veteran
Orange County, CA
apw0397 - 2008-02-21 8:53 AM

• April 13 - apw0397 - Playtri Half Ironman - 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run
  • April 19 - crozetiga - Shakespeare's Maxtrax Duathlon- 2.5 run, 15 mile bike, 2.5 mile run
  • April 20 - sunmonkey72 - Desert Sprint triathlon (500 meter swim, 14 mile bike, 3 mile run)
  • April 20-charleston- East Cooper Tri .6mile swim, 16mile bike, 4mile run
  • May 31 - charleston- Low Country Splash -2.4 mile open water swim
  • May 4 - TriPainter - White Lake Sprint Triathlon - 750 meters, 14 mile bike, 5k run
  • May 4 - crozetiga- Merrill Lynch Race for Sight Triathlon- 440 yard swim. 14 mile bike, 3 mile run
  • 8th Annual Xterra Spring Sprint Triathlon and Duathlon
  • May 26 - sunmonkey72 - Saddleback Half Marathon
  • Look at all this exercise! This is awesome!

*bump*

Big weekend: Three races in the queue!

While I'll be ramping up my running enormously until August, I've decided to maintain a bike and swimming base to be able to compete in triathlons, which means I've let go of my goal to complete a spring marathon and instead add a couple of sprint triathlons (or possibly a duathlon) instead.

Has anyone else adjusted your schedule or goals in the past few months since Andy took us all on as manatees...err...mentees?

Edited by sunmonkey72 2008-04-15 5:59 PM

2008-04-16 4:13 PM
    in reply to: #1340238

User image

*bump* Big weekend: Three races in the queue! While I'll be ramping up my running enormously until August, I've decided to maintain a bike and swimming base to be able to compete in triathlons, which means I've let go of my goal to complete a spring marathon and instead add a couple of sprint triathlons (or possibly a duathlon) instead. Has anyone else adjusted your schedule or goals in the past few months since Andy took us all on as manatees...err...mentees?

I too let go of my goal to complete a spring marathon due to training conflicts with snowboarding. The marathon will have to wait until November. I've added a sprint to prepare for an olympic since joining the group. My swim and bike are still pretty weak, so my plan was to find a swim coach and schedule more training rides. I was suppose to meet with a swim coach last night, but she forgot and never showed. (Is that a bad sign?) However, while we were waiting, I swam some laps and my wife noticed that my head was completely underwater. I had no idea! I think I took the swim downhill advice a bit much. So now at least I have something to work on. I'm going back without my swim cap and work on my balance.

Edited by sonnyk 2008-04-16 4:15 PM
    2008-04-21 8:42 AM

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
    Well, I did a triathlon and learned a few things.

Do not drink gatorade. Got off the bike and had the worst stomach cramps for the first mile.

Really fun passing the elites that had a headstart on you in the swim and being the third person out of the water, until...everyone and their brother passes you on the bike and run.

Other than that, amazing time, still waiting for the official results, did get third in the clydesdales, and will definately be doing this again.
    2008-04-21 9:27 AM
    in reply to: #1350911

User image

Master
    McKinney, TX

Great job! With your swimming background there's no shock that you passed all the elites. Now just need to focus on your bike engine.

I have lots of rants about Gatorade, but I'll keep it short. I hate Gatorade with the burning heat of a thousand white suns. It's too sweet, doesn't have enough calories, and doesn't have enough salt. Just because it's "on the course" doesn't mean you have to use it. It may work for Michael Jordan, but there are lots of better products out there.

I recommend Infint. You can tailor your own sports drink based on taste, calories, salt, caffeine, amino acids, etc. You can search here on BT, Pretty sure you can get a discount.

2008-04-21 10:23 AM

Veteran
    Orange County, CA
    I wish I had spectacular news.

The good news is that I felt great on the bike and run. The bad news is that I fell apart on the swim. I began to hyperventilate very early on and though I'd flip over onto my back to relax my breathing, as soon as I'd roll over and get into crawl position and get in 8-10 strokes, I was back to erratic breathing.

Today I feel very pissed off. Pissed off at myself, of course. I felt so awesome the day before and was not nervous at all. I even had the stomach to eat something in the morning, and I felt so calm while setting up my stuff.

I'll type out a full race report when I can fully collect my thoughts. One thing is for sure: I'm determined more than ever to conquer swimming in ow. I actually know what works needs to be done. And part of the work will be to overcome my fear of drowning. That stinks to type because I'm generally not afraid of anything.

Anyway, like I said, I did really well on the bike and run, and my nutrition and fluid intake could not have been more perfect. Absolutely no tummy issues, no cramping, and I didn't crash at the finish on my bike.

So there are a whole lot of positives, but that one "bad" news" thing really has kept me down and frustrated and a little bit angry, too.
    2008-04-21 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Columbia, MO

good job Charleston and Sunmonkey! 

My Duathlon went pretty well this weekend despite the cruddy weather.   I was 28th overall and 1st in age group.   I was pleased with my first run and with my bike (considering it was raining and cold) but i was not pleased with my second run.   

Info for Andy:  I messed up the splits on my garmin so i dont have alot of data from it other than what i remember.  The first run i was an high zone 3 avg HR.  I was running pretty darn fast for me.  Avg of 7:12 miles.  I hit the lap button on the Garmin twice during transition so i have it messed up everything after that.   The bike i was around 140 bpm the whole time (i dont know what zone that is because i havent done a bike LT- it is scheduled for the end of this week).   The second run was in zone 4.5 the whole time, but i couldnt seem to get my legs moving (7:40 miles)   It may have been because my legs and feet were wet and cold from the bike.   My feet felt almost numb when  i started running.  

Overall i am improving but i still have some work to do.  I need to do some more bike-run bricks.

Edited by crozetiga 2008-04-21 10:57 AM

2008-04-21 12:07 PM

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
    What is a normal turn around time to be able to see your results. Not a big tri, only about 185 people, was on active.com.

Or is this something completly up in the air.

Oh, and as a side note, is time in the saddle the best way for beginners to get better on the bike, or should I be doing intervals like in swimming. I know I dont spend a ton of time on the bike so I probably need a base, but I want to make sure I build it correctly, it is going to be my next big focus, providing I can find the time.
    2008-04-21 12:28 PM

User image

Master
    McKinney, TX

Most of the races I do have results available by the time I get home. Was yours chip timed or hand timed? Chip timing certainly helps with the turnaround time.

For cycling, depends on when your goal race is, what distance, and what your current level is. For example, a friend of mine has a goal race - 1st Oly - in October. We met yesterday to write up a training plan for him through mid-July. I had him doing nothing but base training on the bike and run - Zone 2. It's his 2nd year of tris so he really just needs to work on steady, aerobic training and fat burning.

Once July comes, we should see that his fitness has improved. As we get closer to his race, I'll implement some workouts around race pace.

For me, a non-beginner, I still do most of my training in Zone 2. In a 4 month plan I made for myself for my HIM (turned out to be Aquabike), I did do 2 months of base, 1 month with 1 short tempo workout per week, 2 weeks with longer tempo workouts per week, then a 2 week taper with 1 short tempo workout.

The key is to make sure you have a good base before doing any kind of speed/tempo work. Swimming is different in this case, as it is with lots of cases in swimming. Doing speed work too early or too often can have adverse effects.

2008-04-21 3:30 PM
    in reply to: #1351719

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Columbia, MO

charleston - 2008-04-21 12:07 PM What is a normal turn around time to be able to see your results. Not a big tri, only about 185 people, was on active.com. Or is this something completly up in the air. Oh, and as a side note, is time in the saddle the best way for beginners to get better on the bike, or should I be doing intervals like in swimming. I know I dont spend a ton of time on the bike so I probably need a base, but I want to make sure I build it correctly, it is going to be my next big focus, providing I can find the time.

When i did the Charleston sprint tri series race last year, i think they had up the results 2 days later.  They should be up soon.

As far a biking,  I would say T.I.T.S. (Time In The Saddle) cant hurt.   As long as your bike fits and it doesnt hurt to ride, I would say ride as much as you can.   I know its pretty flat around there, but if you can find a hill,  it would be good to do some hill repeats once a week.  They will overall make you a stronger cyclist.  If you ride 3 times a week or so, I would make one a hill ride (or an up tempo ride if you cant find a hill), one a long ride at zone 2 (easy pace) , and the other a zone 2 ride, not as long though.  

As Andy said,  ride lots in zone 2, but I also think that some interval or hill training also makes you a stronger rider.   I think it just gets your body used to pushing, so when you push during a race, you can handle it.   Just my opinion, do with it what you will.

Josh

2008-04-21 3:59 PM

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
    I guess I can start riding up and down the bridge, man made hills are just as good, right?
    2008-04-21 8:46 PM

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
    and if anyone is really bored my master piece of a race report is done. All my pictures are on snapfish thanks to the girlfriend but I do now know how make that public.

2008-04-22 7:57 PM
    in reply to: #1352567

User image

Master
    McKinney, TX

charleston - 2008-04-21 3:59 PM I guess I can start riding up and down the bridge, man made hills are just as good, right?

A hill is a hill. Doesn't matter if God made it or man did.

2008-04-25 7:17 AM

User image

Master
    McKinney, TX

Nobody's racing this weekend. That's odd.

Have a great one everyone!

2008-04-25 10:07 AM

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
    I was bored so I decided to look up who the guy was that crushed everyone in the tri I just did, turns out he was an 11th place finisher at IM arizona, how cool is that.

Everyone looked at him funny...after he finished he ran back over the bridge (4miles) and went on a bike ride while waiting for everyone else.
    2008-04-30 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Columbia, MO
  • May 4 - TriPainter - White Lake Sprint Triathlon - 750 meters, 14 mile bike, 5k run
  • May 4 - crozetiga- Merrill Lynch Race for Sight Triathlon- 440 yard swim. 14 mile bike, 3 mile run
  • May 4 -ryannmo - Frederick 1/2 Marathon
  •  

Everyone ready for their races this weekend?

I am ready.   First tri of the season... WOOHOO!!

Good luck Tripainter and  Ryannmo!

Josh

2008-04-30 3:00 PM

User image

Master
    McKinney, TX

Ditto!

How's everyone's week going? Mine's not so great. I'm in a boot to keep me from aggravating my achilles. My ortho wants me to get an MRI to see how bad it is. Haven't run for a month and there's been no improvement. My season could be over already.

But...think of all the money I'm going to save by not registering and driving to races!

2008-05-01 7:54 AM

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
    Sorry to hear about your injury, that stinks.

You are just going to have to become a master at the aquabikes.

Good luck to everyone this weekend.

My May is going to mostly swimming to try and get ready for this ows, I too need to cut down my running til I can get some new shoes. I'm a little nervous to be out there for that long, but should be a good time, my parents are even coming down from the north to watch, you think they would have learned how boring these things are to watch after going to all those swim meets when i was a kid.
    2008-05-01 12:48 PM

User image

Bummer with the injury. I'm nursing an ITB pain as well since I got back from Myrtle Beach this week. I've been rolling it with "The Stick". I wonder if I strained it from golfing??? how sad is that?

I'm doing a 10 mile race on Sunday..we'll see how that goes...

2008-05-20 9:12 AM

User image

Howdy! How's everyone doing? What are everyone doing for the long weekend? I'm planning on trying out my brand new wet suit this weekend in the lake. Any advice besides the plastic bag and bodyglide?
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » apw0397's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16