Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2007-12-14 3:12 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: apw0397's group - CLOSED

NAME: apw0397, Andy Watson
STORY: I'm a 31 year-old getting fired up for my 4th season of triathlon. I live in McKinney, a suburb of Dallas. It's a great area for tris and racing in general. I love getting other folks involved in racing.
FAMILY STATUS: Married to my wife Shannon (swatson) for 8 years in January. We have 2 boys, ages 5 and 2.
CURRENT TRAINING: Currently decompressing from the year, but I will start HIM training in January.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I did 3 sprints - St Paddy's Day, Iceman, and Monster (3rd in AG!), the Disco Oly-turned-Duathlon thanks to some raw sewage in the lake, the White Rock Half Marathon, and my goal race for the year was the ironman race at Redman in Oklahoma City.
2008 RACES:  So far I have planned to do the Cowtown Marathon as pacer, inspirer, and general annoyance to Shannon, who will be doing her first Marathon; the Athens Sprint Tri a few weeks later; and then the Playtri Half in April. After that I'll do a few sprints and maybe a fall HIM as well. Then a marathon somewhere with my brother in October/November.
WEIGHTLOSS: Through tri training and Weight Watchers I lost about 25 pounds a few years ago. I highly recommend it.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I work at home on a laptop and have lots of free time for BT. I've also done about every distance there is racing-wise, so I can always doll out some advice or inspiration. And I have the coolest avatar on BT.

Edited by apw0397 2007-12-29 8:48 AM

2007-12-26 7:02 PM
in reply to: #1102477

New user

Subject: RE: apw0397's group - Open
Andy-

I've been perusing these mentor groups and you and I are about the same age, so.....

essentials:
Male
married/29/5'10"
live near DC

This is my first year for Tri's but I've been an athlete for most of my life. I played lacrosse in college, but was never that much into running outside of that...I was more the beer and weightlifting type - and still was through this past summer and was nice and 210 pounds. I should be around 185. I've decided to jump into this with both feet hoping to compete in a sprint or two in the spring/summer and ending the season with an Oly in Sept. (a month after my first child is born).

My training log is updated since about Oct. when I started focusing on Tri's specifically. I've been trying to eat right as well, but I haven't dropped too may lb's yet. I have definitely made gains physically though. Running endurance and swimming are much better than even a month ago...
2007-12-27 7:07 PM

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC
My name is Matt - I'd like to join your group as well. I am 32 - 8 months ago I was smoking a pack of cigarettes - now I have run in numerous 5k and 10k's and have completed a 1/2 marathon in Charlotte, NC in December.
I have a wife and a 1 year old boy and am really trying to get my act together physically to be a good example for him.
I was a good athlete in High School and College and have now been bitten by the racing bug - I guess the competition on race morning.
I have a good training partner and have my own business so it enables me to train 5-6 times a week. I just joined BT - so I have just downloaded a program to start - My first Tri will be in March and will be signing up for 3 more throughout the year - with an end goal for the Marine Corps Marathon in DC in October - so feed me any inspiration you guys have.
2007-12-27 8:07 PM

Veteran
Orange County, CA
Seems like a good fit. After years of running I got conned into training for and completing my first triathlon April of this year. Though I got hooked, I spent the rest of the year concentrating on completing my first trail race, a half marathon, and then took an entire month off from everything because, frankly, I was burnt out. I'm back in the saddle (well, sort of) and am training for a February hm and then a sprint in April. I haven't been on a bike in whoknowswhen, and I occasionally splash around in the pool when it's available.

I have a 4 year-old daughter and sometimes it's still a challenge to fit in training. My weakest event is the bike, which is where I want to improve the most. I'm still trying to amass the proper equipment (still no clipless pedals--I'm working on that--or tri wetsuit--working on that, too), but I'm determined to give it another go and hope to complete the sprint in 1:30.

I joined BT just a few weeks ago and am still working up a schedule that I'm happy with.

I'd like to get started just after the first of the year to give me 12 solid weeks of training.

Lisa

Edited by sunmonkey72 2007-12-27 8:24 PM
2007-12-27 11:49 PM

User image

Paradise, CA
Well Hey, You sound like a great fit. My name is Nino and I coach junior college football and am an administrator at our local juvenile hall. I got into tri in 2005 when I completed my first (and only) sprint tri. I got hooked because I love to compete but anything I was good at did not seem healthy to me. I played football for 11 years and was heavy into weight lifting and body building for a while but it got real unhealthy. I was always inspired by watching the Ironman on TV and decided to give it a try. My race was a bit of a disaster but I knew I was hooked by how I felt when I crossed the line. I trained for 2 different races in 2006 but could never do one due to conflicts with work and life. This though is my year. I plan on the local sprint in May (the one I have already completed) and have a lofty goal of around a 1:30. I then want to try a series that is not too far away during the summer or may want to try an oly. I have been following the 20 week sprint program from BT for about 3 weeks and am already feeling great. I would be happy with some weight loss as I am at 215 but plan on just letting that happen while improving my diet and work outs.

About me, I am 34, married, two beutiful daughters and a third daughter on the way (due in late may but my race is in early may whew almost had to miss another one due to life.) I do have family that lives in McKinney and one of my dreams has always been to use triathlon as an excuse to travel to Mckinney to visit family and complete a race. So we have very similar particulars and it might be fun to hook up with you one day and enjoy a race.
2007-12-28 7:38 AM

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
26 and completly new to all of this. I quit smoking about a month ago and took up swimming as a way to reinforce that attitude, and drop the 50 lbs since high school. My father gave me his old road bike about the same time, so i said why not throw in running into the mix and make a goal out of it. I want to do a sprint tri in March and hopefully finish in the top 75. Luckily, thanks to my past, I can already finish top ten in the swim, but am somewhere between last and next to last in running and cycling. Long road ahead, would love some help along the way.

2007-12-28 10:38 AM

New user
Hey all, I'd like to join.

My name is Ryann (I'm a woman, just named after an old soap opera), I'm 28 and I live in the DC area. I've been a runner all my life and have completed 2 marathons. After the second one my IT band began giving me problems and I decided to do the Nation's Tri this fall instead of a fall marathon. I want to try and run some longer distances again next year. I feel like I'm hitting a wall in the pool, I know I'm doing something wrong but I guess I'll have to pay someone to tell me what... As for the bike, I did that first tri on a hybrid (eek!) and just got a new road bike. I just became certified as an indoor cycling instructor so I'm doing that a couple of days a week. I gained (in my defense, it was during law school and the bar exam) and then lost 50 pounds a couple of years ago on Weight Watchers, and just signed up again because a few are creeping back on despite all the exercise.

When I'm not working out or sleeping... I'm an attorney for the federal government and a newlywed.
2007-12-28 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO

Can I join?  

My name is Josh and I am 27 years old.   2007 was my first year of triathlons.  I did 3 Duathlons, 3 sprint tris, 3-5ks, 1-10ks and 3 mountain bike races.    I am currently training for my first 1/2 Mary which is on Jan 13. 

I am married with a 2 year old daughter. 

I currently work for a physician recruiting firm and work with mass mail marketing campaigns.   I like to say that I am a retired teacher- I taught Instrumental Music in public school for 4 years, and got tired of the long hours with little pay... I actually kind of miss it, I am thinking about returning, but havent made up my mind yet. 

2008 races-

I plan on doing my first HIM this year (Spirit of Racine) and also doing a couple of sprints and an Oly in preparation for my HIM.   Then I plan on competing at the USAT Club National Championships in Oct. with my local tri club,  Columbia Multisport Club (5 time national champs)

Weightloss-

In July of 2005, I weight 230 lbs (5'11" and I decided enough was enough and I bought a mountain bike and rode in on MUP by my house.  I lost 20lbs pretty fast and started cross country mountain biking as well.   My weight stagnated at 200-205 through 2006 until I decided I was going to start training for a triathlon.  In Sept of 2006 I started running and did my first 5k in October 2006.  Currently I am around 180lb but it has fluctuated from 170-180 over the last 6 months or so.   My goal is to be a solid 165-170.

What I want out of the mentor group-

I would like to meet new people and help inspire them to succeed.  I have lost about 50lbs over the last couple years and I think that I can help encourage others to reach their goals as well (Thats what I did as a teacher)  I also enjoy receiving feedback on the things that I am doing as well.  I am not the best athlete in the world, (band nerd most of my life) but it is always great to get some positive responses to your athletic accomplishments.

So thats a bit about me.... do I qualify for the group???  Please please, pretty please, with sugar on top  Laughing

Josh

2007-12-28 5:43 PM

New user

Andy,

I want to join your group.

I run with a local running group when I can. I am 12 hours away from my master's degree (May 2008!!!). I am married with a 14 (going on 40) y/o daughter. I am 38 y/o.

I started training for a full marathon in 2006. I ran it in 4:3?. I did an ultra (50K) a month later. I placed third in my AG this past September.

My plan is to participate in a sprint tri this June. I would like to place in my first one.

I weigh about 210 and would like to get down to about 175-180.

Currently, I do not have a lot of time or money to properly prepare, however, I want to get started so I can establish a baseline and see where I need improvement. I am a procrastinator, but love being inspired and encouraged. I have a very addictive personality and am very disciplined when I want to.

Ron form Arkansas
2007-12-28 7:49 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, TX

Andy, I'd really like to join your crew.

Beyond being a huge fan of both Scrubs and the Office, I'm a young Texan with big triathlon dreams who needs the extra support a mentor could give me. I'm 24, and coming off my 1st season of triathlon with 3 olympic distance races under my belt: Pacific Crest, Deschutes Dash, and Escape from the Gorge. I'm slated to do Escape from Alcatraz and Vineman HIM in 2008, but I've still got a long way to go training wise to get there. I've working my way past some leg injuries and am fired up to start training hard again.

2007-12-28 8:20 PM

User image

Andy,

Got room for one more? I did my first sprint this past summer and am now hooked. I signed up for an Oly next summer and a couple of marathons. I'm 39, married and have 2 boys, 8 and 4. I'm still struggling with the swim portion and need to work on the bike as well. I'm always looking for more advice, inspirations and humor!

Sonny 

2007-12-29 8:46 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

To everyone who asked to join, I'll quote the great John McLane - "Welcome to the party!"

If you take a look at my blog, you can see I've been out of sorts due to traveling for the holidays. I'll start looking over your profiles and blogs this afternoon.

This should be fun.

2007-12-29 3:35 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: apw0397's group - CLOSED

OK, so I've had a few minutes (ok, 2 hours) to go through everyone's intro and take a look at your logs. Here are a few things general to everyone:

1. Log your workouts. Be as descriptive as possible. This isn't just for me, but it will help you as well. I like to look back at old workouts and see how I was feeling on the same workout a week, a month, or even a year ago.
  2. Tell me about your equipment. No shame in whatever you have. I did my first tri on a $30 mountain bike and a t shirt. What kind of bike, pedals, aerobars, swim gear, heart rate monitor, running shoes, etc.
  3. A couple of you didn't tell me a few key items. Really need to know your name and which discipline (swim/bike/run) is your strength and weakness.

2007-12-29 6:52 PM
in reply to: #1122088

Veteran
Orange County, CA
I'll log my workouts once I get over this dangblasted cold. I have a road bike (Specialized Dolce - no Aero bars, and the investment is not a priority) and running shoes. I finally saved up enough money for a wetsuit, and because that will be my biggest expense, that's what I'll get first. I do plan to invest in clipless pedals by mid-January, and a hemlet that matches my bike. :p

Running is my strength, though it's daunting for me to spend so little time training the discipline to make room for the bike and swim. Swim second strongest, and bike my weakest. That's my opinion, however. The weaknest of all weaknest is me. I tend to slack off and skip workouts here and there, and get caught up in the other stuff I have to do. So I need a kick in the pants when I start to get lazy and make excuses. Not a drill sergeant kick in the pants. Maybe how Bozo the Clown would do it: A big red shoe and a creepy smile.

Oh, and my name is Lisa and I'm 35.

I'm not too concerned with losing a lot of weight (I'm 5' tall and on a GOOD day I weigh in at 177), but my ideal race weight is 110. I HATE to diet, but I eat healthfulfood...usually. I enjoy the occasional Hello Kitty cupcake from the local bakery. What can I say? They're so cute with that pink ribbon made of pink frosting.

Lisa

Edited by sunmonkey72 2007-12-29 6:55 PM
2007-12-29 7:15 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, TX

I'll definitely be logging my workouts when I start up a real training schedule again in the next couple weeks.

My equipment: Cannondale r700 road bike w/ Shimano clipless pedals (thank you craigslist), DeSoto T1 wetsuit, Saucony running shoes, a Polar HRM (rs200sd, definitely recommend it!), a Computrainer, and a few other items like clip on aero bars (profile design), a fuel belt, tri shorts, etc. I'm mostly set, although eventually I want to upgrade to a mid range TT bike.

My strength is definitely running, but I've been making strides in swimming lately as well. My bike is the big weak spot holding me back, as I've had a lot of trouble with cramping during races. I bought a Computrainer this year so I could train during the cold months and really step it up this coming year. I haven't been on it much yet due to a pinched nerve in my leg, but that should hopefully be resolved in the next couple weeks as I've been working with a PT on stretching/massage. 

Ready to rock,

Travis

2007-12-30 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1122324

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
Workouts are now all logged.

I have an older trek 1000 that has been handed down from my father, it is having clip peddles put on as we speak. And I recently bought a new pair of shoes from a running store (the most I have ever spent on a pair of shoes in my life) in hopes to prevent injury, I heard this was the easiest way.

Strongest in swimming, that will be no problem come race day. Running is another story, today was the first day i finished three miles without walking, but that is a big difference compared to a month ago. Biking is moving along quickly, I joined a group on the weekends and each time i keep up with them a little longer.

2007-12-30 12:16 PM

User image

Paradise, CA
OK, My equipment consists of

1. Polar RS 200 heart rate monitor with foot pod.

2. New Balance 8507 running shoes
Mizuno Waverider 9 running shoes
Nike Air Alvord trail shoes

3. Giant OCR 3 road bike (no aero bars. They are my current dream)
Shimano pedals
Shimano Mountain Bike shoes
Cateye Mity 8 speedo and odo
Minoura Mag 850 trainer for riding back in the house (loaned to me from a friend)

4. TYR goggles
Wet Suit (originally for Surfing but it works great)

My best discipline would probably be the run and my worst the swim. I have a little run experience from highschool but I was a sprinter so it doesn't relate much but I have run off and on throughout my life. I have absolutely no bicyle experience other that riding a bicycle as a kid. I was on an age group swim team but that was from the age of 10 through the age of 13 (I am 34 now) so it really didn't help. The one good thing about being where I am experience wise is I see constant small improvement right now and that is motivating.

I am pretty consistent on logging work outs, sometimes I get a day behind but all the info is usually stored on my heart rate monitor so I can get it caught up if I fall behind.
2007-12-30 12:17 PM
in reply to: #1122843

User image

Paradise, CA
I forgot, my name is Nino.
2007-12-30 7:08 PM

New user
My strength is definitely the run, except for the IT band issues...

Equpiment:
1. Specialized Dolce Comp with clipless pedals and mountain bike shoes. Brand new! I need to buy a racing saddle for it before spring.
2. Cyclops Fluid Trainer. Since I teach spinning, I haven't been on it that much (stationary bike burn-out).
3. Basic Polar HR monitor.
4. A wetsuit someone lent me and hasn't reclaimed, it was a TNT wetsuit.
5. I have running gear pouring out of my closet.
6. In the pool I have zoomer fins, speedo gloves, and a pull buoy.
2007-12-30 7:38 PM

User image

My strengths is run, then bike, then swim. I did my first sprint with a Cannondale H400 hybrid. I actually won a Jasper Blake Kuota tri bike from a sweepstake on his website but I haven't received it yet. I have both the Polar 625x and Garmin 305 watches. I have Zoomers but I have never used them. I have a Kurt trainer and a roller as well, but I haven't use them this winter yet. I'm training for a marathon in March using the Furman program so I've been neglecting the other disciplines. I learned to swim from the TI book/DVD about 2 years ago. I'm still very slow in the water...about 45 minutes to swim a mile.
2007-12-30 10:47 PM
in reply to: #1122294

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Lisa - Looks like you have a good plan so far. I would actually invest in the pedals first and then the wetsuit later. My rationale would be that you will see immediate benefits in training and racing. Also, since it takes a little time to get used to clipless pedals, the sooner you start on them the better. And be prepared to fall when you ride on them. EVERYONE FALLS.

About your run training. Coming from a running background, I understand your reluctance. Before tris I was usually running 5 or 6 days a week. Now I find that by running less I actually have improved. Due to injury this year my run volume was severely limited, but I still managed to knock off a few PR times.

Also, it's best to work on your limiters first. For me, it was the bike. Unless you are a complete stud on the bike, this is where you should focus most of your training. You spend most of the race time on the bike, why not train the most on it?

And about junk food....don't fret. I am such a sucker for junk food, especially donuts and kolaches. I'm a firm believer in the motto "I eat, therefore I tri."

2007-12-30 10:51 PM
in reply to: #1122324

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Travis,

First, I'm jealous that you have a Computrainer and I don't. That being said, I think it will really help you out. There's nothing worse for me than a trainer (aka drainer) ride. I have to get creative with my workouts or I'll quit after a few minutes. The Computrainer should keep things interesting for you. If it doesn't, send it to me and I'll make sure it gets put to good use.

About your cramping during races, what kind are we talking about? Muscle cramping on the bike? Stomach cramps? Either way, it's not cool. Please explain and maybe we can figure that out before race season starts up.

2007-12-30 10:55 PM
in reply to: #1122774

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Bob,

I agree, it's shocking how much shoes from a running store can cost. I would usually buy a cheap $40 pair of shoes from a department store and wonder why (a) they wore out so quickly and (b) why they felt horrible whenever I ran.

Congrats on the first nonstop 3 miler! That's a great accomplishment. Just keep it slow and easy - both in pace and in adding mileage - and you'll be amazed at what you can do.

2007-12-30 11:00 PM
in reply to: #1122843

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Nino - Do you use HR zones for your bike and run training? If not, I would highly recommend it. It can be a bit annoying at first, but you'll see some great improvements if you are patient and stick to it.

Clip on aerobars should give you a nice improvement on your road bike. Just make sure that you get a good fit done when you get them. There's a big change to the geometry when you ride in aero, so having someone take a look at it can save you some injury.

2007-12-30 11:05 PM
in reply to: #1123191

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Ryann - IT band issues can suck. I've never had them, but any kind of long-term injury can be a killer. Do you have a foam roller? There are also some good stretches you can do.

The Dolce Comp is a nice bike, but I'm confused about the racing saddle issue. Is there something wrong with the saddle that's on it currently? 

Same question I asked Nino. Do you use HR zones for your bike and run training?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » apw0397's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16