Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-03-03 8:30 PM
in reply to: #1250168

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Open For a Few More

jwaymack - 2008-03-03 4:48 PM HI, is the group still open. Name: James Story: I have run on and off most of my life but have gotten serious in the last couple years. Did my first marathon last fall and ready for another half in april with plenty more races this year. Decided over the winter that I would like more of a challenege and would like to get into Tri's. I got my first roadbike last week and am ready to get out and do some cycling. I have no real formal swim training and this will probably be the toughest part for me. My first tri is going to be the IronAbe (oly) and am hoping to be IM ready in a couple of years. I looked through a few of the groups that said they were open and this seemed like a good fir for me if you'll take me. Thanks, James.

Welcome James

Sounds like some good goals for your season.

Jump right and join us.

2008-03-04 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1250346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN

Yippee! I got into the Bjorklund!  I'm very excited, can you tell?  Now the question is, do I think about doing two half-marys, or stick with my initial plan?  Hmmm....

Oh, and thanks for the encouragement about doing the indoor tri - it's more just a question of logistics.  We'll see.

2008-03-04 4:24 PM
in reply to: #1248667

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Week 9: 2008

I have done a handful of 5ks, centuries, and MTB rides and races but nothing specific to long distance running. I would like to at least do a stand alone 1/2 marathon and maybe some more long distance bike stuff. I have done one Duathlon which was fun but I am a slow runner and that just was more pain than I care for. Masters swim would be really fun i think. I would have very low expectations but I would enjoy competing in the 100 or 50 free.

My training week was pretty good. I was able to mix in a couple masters workouts and short runs during the week. I was very excited for Saturday because my mom was going to babysit so I could go for a long ride. I made it about 20 miles and got a weird pinch in my tire. I was able to fix it without replacing the tube but them my co2 canister melted down on me and I was stranded. I walked back towards home, about 4 miles away, and made it about 3.5 before someone stopped and had a hand pump. This is the 4th ride in a row that I have cut short due to tire issues, bad luck i guess. I swung by the house and got the tire reinforced and did some hills for about 10 more miles. I was completely dissatified with my bike work out so i decided to make it a brick and ran 3 miles (ouch). On Sunday I went out for a long run and kinda had a Forrest Gump moment and kept running until I got to the biggest major street then turned back. All in all it was 10.5 or 11 miles so I was pretty happy. Legs felt heavy at the end but it was a really good weekend in preparation for 70.3 in three weeks. I figure I have a week and a half of the longer more internse stuff than it will be more taper type of stuff ( i say taper type stuff because most people would consider my regular workouts as their taper...oh well). Need to take some days off of work in the next two weeks so that I can get some distance in on the bike.
2008-03-06 3:06 AM
in reply to: #1103805

Fullerton, CA
Talk about MIA...I guess that should be my middle name. Actually, I just was writing a message to add to the conversation and it evaporated. Just disappeared. I quess I'm pretty new to this computer blog stuff whatever you call it.

Like I was wondering how you guys get those cute little pictures into your emails. Also, I'll see if I can figure out how to make my log not be private. When I set it up I couldn't see any reason I would want it to be anything else.

My training has been going pretty well. At least up till last weekend when it rained on Saturday. Then on Sunday the Santa Ana winds were blowing and gusting so badly up inthe canyon where I like to ride, that we had to bag the ride and went for a hike instead so see the poppies blooming. Good family time, but not that great as a workout.

Alright, I don't want this email to disappear too. Probably timed out on the last one.

Linda
2008-03-07 7:45 AM
in reply to: #1255550

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Hey, welcome back Linda

As for changing your settings:

To Set your Avatar, go to the control panel. (Link just above the little box in the upper left of your Blog where you check your Private Messages. All the way at the bottom of the CP Screen, you will see the place to upload a picture.

To make your Blog public, go to "Display Settings". The link is directly below the Volume Graph in your Blog on the left hand side.

The first tab as the privacy setting

2008-03-07 7:50 AM
in reply to: #1248667

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Subject: RE: Week 9: 2008

I feel like I've been in a steady decline. I'm just hanging on, but averaging about 3 workouts a week through February. I haven't gained any weight back, which is good, but I'm just not in rhythm. Sick kids and minor surgery this week are setting me back. Yell  I'm hoping to get back into it by Tuesday. I'll need to recuperate from my procedure through the weekend at a minimum.

I'm glad others are doing well! Keep up the good work!  

2008-03-07 9:31 AM

User image

San Antonio TX/Sacramento CA
Hi Tim, I know I am really late in the year to join a group, but I had a bad case of pnemonia so was unable to start my training until this week. I would really like to have a community of Tri-ers to ask questions to and just share our experiences along the way.

NAME: Khristine

STORY: Did my first Tri on a lark in 2000, completed 2 sprints that year. Next season was back for a few more and my fisrt Oly (which I barely finished due to a lot of foot and hip pain) a week later diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondyllitis (a sero-negative version of RA). I taught yoga and did my best to maintain some level of fitness while sick, but I was pretty disabled for a couple years. Jump forward 2007, finally felt I was ready to race again. Thought a good way to go was through Leukemia Lymphoma Team In Training program, one of the best experiences of my life.....GO TEAM) We trained for Cap Texas, which was rained out. So I jumped on board as a mentor and continued training for Austin Tri. Completed the Oly in Austin and along the way did Marble Falls Oly, Danskin Sprint and River Cities Tri Sprint- if you live within 500 miles of Shreaveport LA - do this Race It ROCKS!). I am a back of the packer (WAY BACK) and my biggest obstacle is trying to stay well enough to train consistantly. I currenlty live in Texas but am hoping to move back to Northern California within the next few months. I would like to reduce my Swim and run times this season.

FAMILY STATUS: 43 Single 1 Kid

CURRENT TRAINING: I am planning a really long training year-with my highlight race in September so that way if I am sick and miss a few weeks I can make it up and still get to my target. My Target race is Pacific Grove, and I am totally intimidated by the Kelp Crawl and Shark Attacks in that area ---so I figured I would work towards getting to the middle of the pack, thinking I could draft throught the kelp and that the sharks would probably get the slower or fastest swimmers(LOL)

I am using a 20 week run focused Oly training plan from BT.

2008 RACES: Pacific Grove-Oly, Vineman Sundown Sprint (how cool would it be not ot have to get up at 5am to race) tenitively looking at Donner Lake (Sprint), Folsom International or Santa Cruz Sprint, Maybe Granite Bay (I have a redemption due to myself from that race) but might be too soon after PG.
2008-03-07 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1258426

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Welcome Khristine

Please jump right in and join us.

Looks like you have a very fun race schedule this season. PacGrove is a very cool race. I think there is a thread going in the California Forum about this race and there are a few folks posting who have done it before.

As I recall, if you catch the race on a High Tide the Kelp thing is not so much of an issue. But if the tide is drained down, it can be a bit challenging.

2008-03-07 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1258426

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

Welcome, Khristine!  I can't wait to hear all about your kelp crawl at Pacific Grove.   

Dreu, stay strong.....you have come so far.  Just stick with it like you are doing and eventually life will settle down and it will all get easier.

Tim, I'm biking some of your 70.3 race course tomorrow....we're doing the San Clemente - Pendleton ride.  I'm hoping there aren't many lights or stop signs, as that will reduce the number of times I will fall off my bike.  (I did it again on Tuesday -- I'm really over the clips)

Have a good weekend, everyone.

2008-03-07 11:00 AM
in reply to: #1258637

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
mtngirlincali - 2008-03-07 8:52 AM

Welcome, Khristine!  I can't wait to hear all about your kelp crawl at Pacific Grove.   

Dreu, stay strong.....you have come so far.  Just stick with it like you are doing and eventually life will settle down and it will all get easier.

Tim, I'm biking some of your 70.3 race course tomorrow....we're doing the San Clemente - Pendleton ride.  I'm hoping there aren't many lights or stop signs, as that will reduce the number of times I will fall off my bike.  (I did it again on Tuesday -- I'm really over the clips)

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Have a great time on the ride. I got an invite from Jean-Claude to do the ride in Saturday but I have a conflict and can't make it.  I am going to try and make the cove swim on Sunday though

That part of the ride is pretty safe and only the short bit between the Main Gate and Las Pulgas is with traffic. (On the Base) The good news is that the road is usually pretty quiet on Saturdays. (IE. Not many Tanks, Troop Transports or Humvees rumbling through)

Enjoy

2008-03-08 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Pete

Tim,

Got room for one more?

I am training for my 1st Olympic(St. Anthony's) /1st tri ever. I have a strong base of cycling and running but very little swimming.

2008-03-08 8:07 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-10 11:04 AM

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Welcome Libby and LJ

Please jump right in and join us.
2008-03-10 11:08 AM

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Week 10: 2008
So, how is everyone handling the time change this week. It seems like folks who do afternoon workouts will benefit and others who do morning workouts will suffer for a while. (And I guess for those who do both, it is just a wash)

Question of the Week: What part of the day is your favorite time to get your workouts in. Are you a morning person and have a great day when your planned workout is already on the books, or do you do your workouts at the end of the day and end the day on a good note.

Oh, and please tell us how your week went
2008-03-10 11:39 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Closed
I am starting back this week and hope that i can hold back a bit and not over do it. My battle with my month long flu/bronchitis/sinus infection and finally pneumonia i think i just about over.

Last week I did just lsd run and a swim and a couple quick trainer workouts. I am a bit scared of my HIM in April but I am just going to take it as a long training day and not push myself. I did, at first, have some goal times set, but now I just want to complete the race.

Time change...... well here in Arizona we dont change time so there is no modification needed in my work outs.

I love to log in the early morning workouts and have them done for the day. The trail I run on usually has a lot of pronghorn in the spring and summer, but only in the morning and they are fun to watch. But really any time of day is great to run bike or swim. I just dont like running in the dark that much. I rolled my ankle a few months back on a rock that I didnt see on the road.

2008-03-10 11:42 AM
in reply to: #1262909

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Subject: RE: Week 10: 2008

I had a pretty good week last week - hit almost all of my training sessions AND I managed to get up for 3 early a.m. sessions (2 swim, 1 run).  I had a small breakthrough on one swim and had a very encouraging bike on my dad's computrainer - I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it seems to bode quite well for my biking come springtime.

I dropped two runs, though, and I absolutely have to start hitting 3 runs a week as I start to prep for my June half-mary.  Last year I sacrificed some of my bike training for that, and I don't want to do that again.  I'll beg off that it was really cold again last week.  No excuse, really, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

The time change hit me this morning - DH and I stayed up late watching the last ep of The Wire and I just wasn't tired... until it came time to try to get up this morning!  I do like morning workouts after I get in the habit of them.  I love the days when I wake up just before my alarm goes off, and I lie in bed for a minute thinking "could I sleep in?  Nah - I'm awake and antsy - let's go!"  I love morning runs for the peace of them.  I love coming home, logging my workout, and starting my day knowing that I've done at least one good thing for myself already that day.

2008-03-10 3:05 PM

2008-03-11 10:29 AM

Veteran
Douglas County

Last week ended up being a productive training week for me.  It was a "peak" week (one of two before my race in April), so I was pretty spent by the time Monday rolled around.  My swimming form is coming along nicely, and I'm able to do the longer bike rides without feeling like death warmed over.  My knees are holding up to the running mileage, and last week I logged more miles than ever in one week.  (Marathoners will laugh, but 15 miles is a lot to these legs)  Dare I say I might even be enjoying these longer distances?!

Time change was rough because I had a 6:30am flight yesterday, but otherwise, I'm happy about the extra daylight at the end of the day.  I find that I don't have an "ideal" time for a workout--- even if I'm tired at the end of the day, I still manage to do just as well with a 6pm workout than I would for a 7am.  But because of my work schedule, I definitely prefer the early evenings.

2008-03-11 11:00 AM

New user
I love daylight savings....the more sunshine the more energy in my opinion. I feel like i can get out and do something after work without leaving early or rushing.

I prefer doing my workouts in the morning. Too many things come up during the day that can easily derail any plans for a workout. I do have a problem getting out when it is too early. I usually wake up at 4:45 and I would love to throw the shoes on and go but it takes me about 30 minutes to even be able to function. On occasion I do a quick run and most of my swims at lunchtime. The lunchtime masters workout is really great, all though I come back to work smelling like chlorine.

My training week was ok last week. I did manage to get some mileage in. I some time on the bike on Friday before I had to leave for a guys golf weekend in Palm Desert (not a recommended part of HIM training for numerous reasons). I really wanted to practice my nutrition and get some hills in. Made it about 45 miles and 3500 feet of climbing and felt the nutrition went well, motor tabs and Gu, maybe need some more solids for a bit more calories. Did an OWS at Corona Del Mar on Thursday which really helped with my confidence. We did about 1.5 miles and I felt very comfortable. Will aim to do it again on Thursday. I think I need one more long bike and one more long run and I will be ready for about a week and half to two weeks of mellowing out before Oceanside.
2008-03-12 2:04 AM

Welcome Libby and Khristine!! 

Last week was a bummer week for me.  I took 3 days off of training.  I caught that flu bug that's been going around- it's really nasty!  I did still run the Mercer Island 1/2 marathon on Sunday, and was pleasantly surprised that I came within a minute of my PR -2:03.37.  Pretty slow, but I am working on it. 

As far as the time change thing, I haven't noticed a significant effect, but I have been tired, and I have been blaming it on being sick, but it may be a combination of illness and time change.  As for favorite workout times, I run at 9am, and my swim workouts are at 7pm with the masters group.  It definately feels good though on the rare ocassion that I get an early morning workout in, because then I'm not thinking about it all day. 

2008-03-14 4:25 AM

Veteran
St. Pete

Tim,

Thanks for letting me come aboard with a bunch of dogs! Anyhow the time change didn't effect me much as I get up around 5 AM anyhow so sleeping in is not an option.

i prefer to do my workouts early afternoon (2ish) kids are still in school and i can pack in 2-3 hours if required and it doesn't bother anyone. I am in the construction business  and most of my work is complete by then unless I need to meet with clients in the evening. Plus the pool @ the gym is pretty empty except for the old people that I hear 'em say  "there is that guy that is going to make waves for an hour again" one of them said to me "don't you get tired of swimming back and fourth" my response "....but of course"

Any how training is going good but yesterday i noticed something strange. I was doing a 50' run on the treadmill at a blistering 10:30 pace while maintaining a HR Zone 2 and the old mind started drifting. I was thinking about and upcoming 5k and the St. Anthony's race at different times and both times I glanced down and noticed that my HR went up 10-14 BPM but my pace was still at a 10:30. I was very intrigured by what the mind can do to the body. Anybody every experince anything like this?

Ps today is Friday "NO TRAINING DAY" WOOOHOOOO going to get a massage  and demo a few tribikes

2008-03-14 8:57 AM
in reply to: #1271423

2008-03-14 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1271423

New user
that is funny......when i run in the morning (if I can get myself out of bed) part of the course goes by the 24 hour fitness. When i get by the window where all the treadmills are looking out I always subconsciencely speed up and and jack my heartrate....so childish but it is funny what the brain tells you body to do.
2008-03-15 7:19 PM

Hi all,
Well I was kind of missing the last couple of weeks, I had finals at school and that kept me busy and distracted. My training kept up pretty well though. The last couple of weeks has been the first time I have introduced the swimming and biking into my training. Before I never really felt "overtrained" but now I am finding that I am having to cut back in some areas and am going to have to start managing my days off and diet better. I am also trying to drop some weight to improve my half marathon time (my main focus for the next month), and it has been hard to find that balance between trying to cut calories and still eat enough to have energy. My strategy right now is to keep my before and after workout meals adequete while sticking hard to the diet the rest of the day.

As far as the disciplines go

Swimming: I am using an endless pool right now because that is all my gym has. It took some getting used to but I was strating to feel pretty good in it until thursday morning when I decided to lose a chunk of my finger on the front of it. So I don't think there will be too much swimming until then.

Bike: What can I say, I love getting out on the back. I hadn't ridden a bike in years until I decided to try this triathlon thing. THe hardest thing for me on the bike is riding too much I think, especially before or after run days.

Run: I feel like the other training has helped my runnning. It feels like my form and endurance are seeing some improvement from the other two. I did have a little set back yesterday, which was supposed to be my long run of 11 miles. I was only able to do 5.5, my legs and mind felt dead after everything else going on in the week.

So my question for the week is, if you have a scheduled training that doesn't make the expectation do you try to make it up later on or just write it off and feel bad that you weren't able to complete it? I thought about trying to do it tomorrow because I will have a three day hole in my schedule because I am shifting my training days a little because of my school schedule coming up.

I know this is a little long, had alot of time to cover. Thanks for the help and good traing to everyone. James.
2008-03-17 1:45 AM

Fullerton, CA
.....So my question for the week is, if you have a scheduled training that doesn't make the expectation do you try to make it up later on or just write it off and feel bad that you weren't able to complete it? I thought about trying to do it tomorrow because I will have a three day hole in my schedule because I am shifting my training days a little because of my school schedule coming up.

I usually try to make it up if possible. Since you have a 3 day hole in your schedule, it certainly seems to me that you should try to make it up.

My training has been going pretty well, except that my front derailler got out of adjustment. I tried to adjust it slightly in a hurry and made it worse. Then I spent an hour or 2 on it and managed to get it to usable. The problem is that, although it can shift into both the high gear and the low gear, it skips the middle gear when I down shift. If I want the middle gear, I have to shift back up to it.. This kind of messes up my rides. I'm going to try once more tomorrow to adjust it myself, and if I can't get it right. I'll have to take it to the LBS and have them do it for me. Somehow that bruises my pride. I did change both my tires with out a hitch! Now I'm riding on new rubber. I feel much safer. I had worn the old tires down to slicks. Lucky for me I got a flat tire 2 blocks from home, riding on a flat street, instead of screaming down a hill at 30mph! Strange to feel lucky about getting a flat tire!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Waterdog's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14