BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-04-06 5:26 PM
in reply to: #1313650

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!!

LadyGator - 2008-04-03 11:50 AM My May race is still up in the air (but it definitely won't be the one on the calendar since I should be in San Diego at that time), so I guess I need to look into something for while I'm out there. The thought of that cold water though isn't helping :p But now I'll be out there for about 3 months, so I'll be out there from end-April to end-July. I've also gotta get my rear into gear again. I've fallen victim to my traditional bad habits.. I train for a race, then I get lazy afterwards I'm supposed to run a 5K Saturday although I haven't registered, and I haven't run any in two weeks (?) now. Agh I love my movtivation abilities

I have a perfect race for you !  The Spring Sprint:

http://www.kozenterprises.com/Triathlons/Sprintdf84.htm

It is in a protected cove, so it is a flat swim, and the water temperature is usually a little warmer than the open ocean.

2008-04-06 5:41 PM
in reply to: #1317271

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Jan
1/12 dhyte - TCSD Club race (Duathlon)

Feb
2/23 txhokie – Cowtown 5k

Mar
3/15 txhokie – St. Patricks Day Sprint Triatholon
16/-3 – Cav – Doncaster Half Marathon
3/8 ladygator - Gate River Run 15K

Apr
4/13 dhyte - Ironman Arizona
27/04 – Cav - The Cottingham Headlands 10k - Multi Terrain Race
4/27 lauawill42 - J-Hawk Spring in Whitewater, Wisconsin

May
5/4 txhokie – Benbrook Sprint Triathlon
5/18 sundevil87 - Butzbacher Schloss Triathlon (sprint) ( http://www.fw-sportmarketing.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=v... )
11/5 Cav - Beverley 10k
18/05 -Mansfield Sprint Tri - 4 swim / 17 bike / 5 run
5/22 rsand222 - 3.5 run (corporate race event - Chicago)
5/17 ladygator - Beaches Fine Arts Sprint Triathlon
5/25 3guysdad - CapTexTri Sprint triathlon

Jun
6/1 dhyte - San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon
6/1 rsand222- Seahorse Challenge Triathlon (sprint or Olympic??)
6/22 sundevil87 - EWR-Triathlon Lampertheim (sprint) ( http://www.triathlon-lampertheim.de/)
01/06 -Cav - Humber Bridge 10k
29/06 – Cav Humber Bridge Half Marathon
15/06 - Cav Woodhall Spa Sprint Tri .4 swim / 24 bike / 5 run - Jun

Jul
20/07 - Cav Lincoln Sprint Tri - .4 swim / 24 bike / 5 run
7/13 lauawill42 - Danskin Sprint Triathlon in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
7/13 TxHokie - Olympic Triathlon
7/19 rsand222 - Blue Wave Sprint Triathlon

Aug
8/10 txhokie – Annual Wool Capital Olympic Triathlon
8/24 sundevil87 - Fuldataler Triathlon (olympic) ( http://www.fuldataler-triathlon.de/)
10/8 - Cav – Elloughton 10k
8/9 ladygator - Jax Triathlon Series Sprint

Sep
9/1 3guysdad - Austin Olympic Triathlon

Oct
10/5 3guysdad - Lifetime Triathlon (Sprint or Olympic ??)
10/28 sundevil87 - Berlin Marathon
Cav – Bridlington Half Marathon

Nov
11/2 dhyte – New York City Marathon
11/9 ladygator - Miami Man Olympic Triathlon
11/27 txhokie – Fort Worth Turkey Trot 10k
11/27 ladygator - Outback Distance Classic 6K

I've got 2 tris scheduled for sure:

5/25 CapTexTri Sprint

9/1 Austin Triathlon Olympic

Maybe:

10/5 Lifetime Triathlon Dallas

Edited by dhyte 2008-04-06 5:56 PM
2008-04-06 8:38 PM
in reply to: #1104346

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
You the MAN!!!! Danny. I will be watching out for you next weekend on finishing with a good time for yourself.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

2008-04-06 9:10 PM

Yeah, I second that, good luck Danny! Rock on and have a great run. Look forward to seeing the results. Also thanks for putting that list together, I still think it's awesome to see what we're all doing this summer, cool stuff!!

BTW, the Seahorse challenge is my first Triathlon so I am doing the Sprint.

Seahorse challenge = 500m swim, 20k bike, 5k run
Sprirt of Racine =750 m Swim , 20K mi Bike ., 5K Run

Danny, my training is difficult as the hip pain is ever present. It is discouraging but I think this is going to be a pain management sort of a thing. I only have 7 weeks to go till my first Tri and still have hip pain. Yesterday was a brick and it felt ok but the hip is still very tight last night and today. Swimming is Ok, even though I need alot more drills and practice.

Have a great week everyone
2008-04-06 10:00 PM

User image

Austin,
I asked Danny to help me with a training plan, as I was 'stuck' and not really training with a specific purpose. Thought the discussion might be helpful to others so we're moving it here.

Some background on my request...I have a sprint tri on Memorial Day and an Oly on Labor Day. I know the basics of periodization, phases, etc but I don't do well trying to figure out specific workouts within a given phase outside of base. I meant to get my plan together to start Feb 1, then March 1, and now its April 5th and still no plan with a race 7 weeks away.And this is what I asked for help on. Danny, being a customer-focused kind of guy, offered to help with this and more; several questions he asked as input for the thought process:

"try to give me a realistic insight into your general schedule.
How many sessions per week can you devote....time per session (30, 60, 90, 120 minutes etc), what days do you prefer to have as a "heavy day" and which do you prefer to have as a recover days(s).

We can talk tomorrow about where we think you are on your base, and if you have been, or are ready to build towards race phase.

We'll also need to talk about the specifics of your race (swim format, profile of bike and run (flat or or hilly)). And also what your goals for the race are.
If there are any limitations (especially any sort of injuries, please let me know that as well)"

And my responses:
Regarding format. Open water swim, I think individual start spaced by 5 or 10 seconds. Swim is a clockwise loop. This is in a constant level lake with a pretty mild current (it's actually a river with a series of dams). Water temp will likely be in the mid 70’s; I won’t wear a wet suit. Bike and run both have slight hills but mostly flat. The bike has maybe a 100 ft elevation gain in the first quarter of each loop and then small, rolling hills on the middle third of the loop. I’m pretty sure it’s two loops. The elevation gain is not a big deal for me given I have to climb 200ft in 1 mile to get out of my neighborhood. The run has a mild uphill at the start spread over a half-mile or so and then flat or downhill. Looks like a fairly easy course compared to the races I did last year in re terrain. Kind of a late start, so it could be in the 80’s by race time.

I have a decent aerobic base. I never really took off over the winter, although I did focus on my run after the race season ended in the fall. I’ve been getting on the bike (trainer until the last month or so) at least once per week since January and also get in a swim once a week. I’m fine on the swim for this distance; I had planned on adding one swim session per week. I need to get in some OWS though. Bike has an OK base but I’d like to be stronger in my aerobic base. I'm good for about 45 minutes in zone 3-4, good pace and then I slow down fast. It’s hard for me to get a long, relatively flat ride close to me; I do have a trainer. Run base is OK for this distance too; better than bike. I’d like to be faster but if I can stay under 9:15/mile for 2008 in races, that’s a decent improvement for me over last year.

I have been averaging 6-7 hours per week of training. I can probably go to 10 hours per week and could shoot up to 12 or 14 hrs/week on occasion. 9 sessions per week is probably my max; 6-7 more likely/realistic. Aside from at least one workout on the weekend of up to 2 hrs, I can usually get 1 hour in per session. Sometimes I can get in 2 long weekend workouts. I frequently go 10 days without a ‘rest’ day although 2 of those days will be swim only that are not very taxing for me. I’ve been trying to force myself take one day off per week the past month. I think middle of the week works best for recovery. Sunday is good too but I hate to give up the potential long session; my wife, however, would prefer me to lose the long weekend session.

I say this is an ‘A’ race but it’s really just part of training and the point at which I switch to Oly distance training. I’d like to finish under 1:20, lower transition times, average 19 mph on bike, 9:00/mile run. I think most important is some kind of balanced pattern to head into training for my next race, as opposed to making up my training each week. That works for me for a sprint but not anything longer.

Biggest limitation is available training time, and especially during daylight hours. I regularly run or swim at lunch. I have minor ankle impingement that gets aggravated when I run more than 20 miles per week or 3 days in a row. And some periformis syndrome issues. Neither really limit me but can be annoying. You’ve seen my logs with some knee pain recently which I think is getting better. And lastly, I drink too much beer.

Thanks for the help.

2008-04-06 11:18 PM
in reply to: #1319780

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
3guysdad - 2008-04-06 10:00 PM

And lastly, I drink too much beer.

Having the same problem this week!!!! I have had the flu, stomach, cold bug for a week and I have reached into the ice box for moral support. I feel for you on this one!!!

2008-04-07 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado

Hey all,

After being out of it for a week or so, I've put together a couple good weeks of training, last week especially.  I've adusted my work out plan to coincide with my first tri coming up in May.  I've got no worries on having the endurance to finish.  I plan to heed the advice given by many to just enjoy the first tri.  No racing for me on this one.

Danny - good luck on the upcoming AZ IM.  As you might have figured, being a Sundevil, I love Arizona - my home.  In fact I'll be out there in mid-May (fly the day after my first Tri) to see my oldest daugther graudate from high school.  I'm spending a couple weeks in the desert.  Bringing my 5 yo son - plan on catching a D'backs game and to watch the Devils take on the UA Wildcats in baseball.

I'll also be making a trip to Tucson to Trisports to pick up my first tri-bike.  I'm buying a Felt S32 - based on a couple recommendations from the folks at Trisports.  I'm stoked - my wife - not so much.  Thank goodness for the economic stimulus package!!!!!

Keep on training,

Thom

2008-04-08 12:34 AM
in reply to: #1319626

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Txhokie - 2008-04-06 6:38 PM You the MAN!!!! Danny. I will be watching out for you next weekend on finishing with a good time for yourself. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

My bib # is 1431.

My goal times for the race are:

imaz'06 imfl'07 imaz'08 - goal
swim 1:20:00 1:17:37 1:15:00
t1 0:12:06 0:11:58 0:07:00
bike 6:30:57 5:58:02 6:03:00
t2 0:23:22 0:22:04 0:11:00
run 6:28:51 6:07:26 5:23:00
total 14:55:16 13:57:07 12:59:00

The only possible hiccup is...I may stick with my brother throughout the swim. He will only be doing the swim portion of the race, due to some health issues. If my discomfort/anxiety over his swim his high enough, I may need to bird-dog him the whole way. He may hate it, and tell me to swim my own race, but that may still be the case. If so, I'll come out of the water feeling extra refreshed and will have a strong bike/run (for me) anyhow!

Edited by dhyte 2008-04-08 12:34 AM
2008-04-08 12:52 AM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
I just wanted to pop in and add my well wishes for your race, Danny. Hope you have a GREAT race!! It was great meeting you at IM Cal last week.
2008-04-08 1:55 AM
in reply to: #1319780

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Greg,

I'm working late tonight and still trying finish in time for some BT mentoring...

I read through your post, and think its pretty complete.

I do have some questions though...

- I looked at your logs all the way back to last fall.  You have been consistently training 5-6 days every week. WOW - Congrats!  However...I think we might want to consider changing up your routine.  The body becomes accustomed to our given routines (even if they are very active).  It is useful to alternate / cross-train with some diversity (in routine and intensity).  Do you have the flexibility in your schedule to occasionally shift your workouts so that you are putting the same amount of hours, but on fewer days?  We need to get some occasional longer sessions into your mix. I would like to see you break your pattern up instead of grinding 10 day stretches.

- When I look at your logs, I don't see many brick workouts.  If you want the run performance you desire, we need to work on this.  You have to get used to running on "dead legs" after getting off the bike.

- I don't really see any sort of "periodization" in your training schedule. We may not be able to incorporate this in the 7 weeks before your sprint, but we will want to between May and Sep before your next race.  I prefer 3 heavy weeks, then a recovery week.

- You had 2 race reports in your log (Sprint last Oct, and 10k in March).  Are they typical of your other races?  I think they are great, I'm just looking for patterns in your race day performance.

-  You described your race goal as: "I’d like to finish under 1:20, lower transition times, average 19 mph on bike, 9:00/mile run".  I just want to be 100% positive this is your goal for the sprint, not the labor Day Olympic race.

- Please describe your race day nutrition plan.  For a sprint, this is not as big of an issue.  Proper taper, rest, meals 1-2 days before race, and a big night of sleep will help more than what you consume during the race.  You should still be able to time your hydration for a last bathroom stop before the race, have a single gel/gu  with a few sips of water (or sports drink) right before the race, a small bottle of sports drink on the ride, and optionally a small bottle for the run (I prefer to have a water bottle with a few ounces to wet my mouth, but you may not want/need this).

- For a sprint you should be traveling light on the bike.  Do you have a minimal tool bag / fluid system, etc? 

- Do you have access to a track to do some running drills?

- Do you have a training partner that can help you with some drills (swimming, and transition skills sharpening)?

Danny 

3guysdad - 2008-04-06 8:00 PM I asked Danny to help me with a training plan, as I was 'stuck' and not really training with a specific purpose. Thought the discussion might be helpful to others so we're moving it here. Some background on my request...I have a sprint tri on Memorial Day and an Oly on Labor Day. I know the basics of periodization, phases, etc but I don't do well trying to figure out specific workouts within a given phase outside of base. I meant to get my plan together to start Feb 1, then March 1, and now its April 5th and still no plan with a race 7 weeks away.And this is what I asked for help on. Danny, being a customer-focused kind of guy, offered to help with this and more; several questions he asked as input for the thought process: "try to give me a realistic insight into your general schedule. How many sessions per week can you devote....time per session (30, 60, 90, 120 minutes etc), what days do you prefer to have as a "heavy day" and which do you prefer to have as a recover days(s). We can talk tomorrow about where we think you are on your base, and if you have been, or are ready to build towards race phase. We'll also need to talk about the specifics of your race (swim format, profile of bike and run (flat or or hilly)). And also what your goals for the race are. If there are any limitations (especially any sort of injuries, please let me know that as well)" And my responses: Regarding format. Open water swim, I think individual start spaced by 5 or 10 seconds. Swim is a clockwise loop. This is in a constant level lake with a pretty mild current (it's actually a river with a series of dams). Water temp will likely be in the mid 70’s; I won’t wear a wet suit. Bike and run both have slight hills but mostly flat. The bike has maybe a 100 ft elevation gain in the first quarter of each loop and then small, rolling hills on the middle third of the loop. I’m pretty sure it’s two loops. The elevation gain is not a big deal for me given I have to climb 200ft in 1 mile to get out of my neighborhood. The run has a mild uphill at the start spread over a half-mile or so and then flat or downhill. Looks like a fairly easy course compared to the races I did last year in re terrain. Kind of a late start, so it could be in the 80’s by race time. I have a decent aerobic base. I never really took off over the winter, although I did focus on my run after the race season ended in the fall. I’ve been getting on the bike (trainer until the last month or so) at least once per week since January and also get in a swim once a week. I’m fine on the swim for this distance; I had planned on adding one swim session per week. I need to get in some OWS though. Bike has an OK base but I’d like to be stronger in my aerobic base. I'm good for about 45 minutes in zone 3-4, good pace and then I slow down fast. It’s hard for me to get a long, relatively flat ride close to me; I do have a trainer. Run base is OK for this distance too; better than bike. I’d like to be faster but if I can stay under 9:15/mile for 2008 in races, that’s a decent improvement for me over last year. I have been averaging 6-7 hours per week of training. I can probably go to 10 hours per week and could shoot up to 12 or 14 hrs/week on occasion. 9 sessions per week is probably my max; 6-7 more likely/realistic. Aside from at least one workout on the weekend of up to 2 hrs, I can usually get 1 hour in per session. Sometimes I can get in 2 long weekend workouts. I frequently go 10 days without a ‘rest’ day although 2 of those days will be swim only that are not very taxing for me. I’ve been trying to force myself take one day off per week the past month. I think middle of the week works best for recovery. Sunday is good too but I hate to give up the potential long session; my wife, however, would prefer me to lose the long weekend session. I say this is an ‘A’ race but it’s really just part of training and the point at which I switch to Oly distance training. I’d like to finish under 1:20, lower transition times, average 19 mph on bike, 9:00/mile run. I think most important is some kind of balanced pattern to head into training for my next race, as opposed to making up my training each week. That works for me for a sprint but not anything longer. Biggest limitation is available training time, and especially during daylight hours. I regularly run or swim at lunch. I have minor ankle impingement that gets aggravated when I run more than 20 miles per week or 3 days in a row. And some periformis syndrome issues. Neither really limit me but can be annoying. You’ve seen my logs with some knee pain recently which I think is getting better. And lastly, I drink too much beer. Thanks for the help.

2008-04-08 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1322682

User image

Austin,
Hey Danny -

I hear ya on the working late, and early. Answers to your question...

Do you have the flexibility in your schedule to occasionally shift your workouts so that you are putting the same amount of hours, but on fewer days? We need to get some occasional longer sessions into your mix. I would like to see you break your pattern up instead of grinding 10 day stretches.

I can double up. It's hard for me to get more than 1.5 hours in 1 workout during the week, at least until the kids get out of school. But I haven't fully 'explored' early morning or late evening workouts.

When I look at your logs, I don't see many brick workouts. If you want the run performance you desire, we need to work on this. You have to get used to running on "dead legs" after getting off the bike. I don't really see any sort of "periodization" in your training schedule. We may not be able to incorporate this in the 7 weeks before your sprint, but we will want to between May and Sep before your next race. I prefer 3 heavy weeks, then a recovery week.

Agreed on both. I've been meaning to add bricks to my weekend bike rides, just haven't done so yet (was focused on training for the 10K so bike was more to keep the groove). The periodization takes some planning and thought and, well, I've done some thought but not much pencil to paper. :0 I do actually try to vary my workouts, but it's hard to see in my results. My shorter runs are higher intensity, usually. Or on hillier routes. If I do more than 1 ride per week, I try to do some intervals. But as you can see thats all of the variation; I plan out maybe a week at a time and then likely repeat the same workouts (different order) the next week. I don't know that I need much of a taper for the sprint, but some would be good. I'd be as interested in getting into a regular rhythm in the next few weeks, like 3 heavy/1 light.

You had 2 race reports in your log (Sprint last Oct, and 10k in March). Are they typical of your other races? I think they are great, I'm just looking for patterns in your race day performance.

Yes, pretty typical. The 10K was my best yet both from a time and how I felt. The last tri (the one on my log) was about the same as the others, although I totally cratered on the run on this one.

You described your race goal as: "I’d like to finish under 1:20, lower transition times, average 19 mph on bike, 9:00/mile run". I just want to be 100% positive this is your goal for the sprint, not the labor Day Olympic race.

Um, is 1:20 not a good time for an Oly? OK, for the run? Swim?

Yes, these goals are for the sprint. I'd like to keep the paces similar for the Oly, at least as a goal.
Please describe your race day nutrition plan. For a sprint, this is not as big of an issue. Proper taper, rest, meals 1-2 days before race, and a big night of sleep will help more than what you consume during the race.

Need to think about nutrition plan. I'm still figuring this out. I try to eat pretty clean (low fat, mix carbs and protein) the week before. And I get good sleep usually.

You should still be able to time your hydration for a last bathroom stop before the race, have a single gel/gu with a few sips of water (or sports drink) right before the race, a small bottle of sports drink on the ride, and optionally a small bottle for the run (I prefer to have a water bottle with a few ounces to wet my mouth, but you may not want/need this).

- For a sprint you should be traveling light on the bike.

Still playing with this too. I sweat ALOT; lost 4+ pounds in under an hour when it was 75 a few weeks ago. I tend to overhydrate, I think.

Do you have a minimal tool bag / fluid system, etc? - Do you have access to a track to do some running drills?

- Do you have a training partner that can help you with some drills (swimming, and transition skills sharpening)?

I'm prepared for anything on the bike! Probably for anything that happens to your bike too! I could probably lose some things from my bag. Carry 2 bottles with me. I can get to a track, better after school gets out. I don't really have a training partner; I may get into a tri class at my gym in June/July with my sometimes trainer who has some good tri experience.

thanks again for the help.

Edited by 3guysdad 2008-04-08 7:15 PM

2008-04-14 1:01 PM

To the group, you can lookup Dan's race on http://www.ironman.com/events/ironman/arizona/?show=tracker&y=2008.He finished !!!

Congratulations on finishing Dan, it must have been brutal out there. I heard it was VERY hot and a tough race. GREAT job man!!! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Rick
2008-04-18 10:56 AM

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
Hello, anybody out there????

Danny, your killing me here!! I want to here about your IM. I have been clicking on your race report everyday. Are you in the hospital? Are you still in AZ? Did you fly American Airlines and you are stuck at the airport?

What is everybody else doing around here? I'm having problems with shoulder and shin splints and I have not even started training for my Olympic yet. My first day to start is tomorrow I just need to take it slower and rest some.

2008-04-18 3:27 PM

User image

Regular
Hi Peeps

I've been v quiet recently a few tough things going on in my life which have kept me from training as hard as I would have liked. I've just kept the running ticking over but can now pick up again. I hope you are all well, going to refocus my programme over the next few days and kick some but as you Americans say!!

Have a crazy day x
2008-04-19 11:33 PM

Rick, here from Chicago. I too am eager to hear about the race and support Danny as he has many times supported us. I have read about the IMAN AZ and it was HOT and WINDY! A ton of DNF's and probably not too may PR's. Hope all is well with Dan.

I have my first Tri coming up on June 1st and can't wait. Eagerness, nervousness but mostly excited. Next week I hope to get a new ( used) bike at a local bike swap, I will sell two bikes that I have a buy a lighter racing/road bike

My hip is Ok I would say, a little sore and tight after running but manageable. Hopefully, those shin splints get under control TX. I had them for about two years when I got serious about running but now it seems my body has adapted to the miles.

Rock on to all of you who have races coming up!!
Here is another must have for the IPOD - Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
2008-04-19 11:40 PM

Brian,
Another thing I have learned about my shin splint problem was my stride. I used to be a heel striker and I have been working on and have converted to more of a mid-foot striker. I also over-pronate so this was largely the reason for the shin splint problems. With proper shoes and a new stride it seems as if they are 10% of what it used to be. Not sure if this will help you but it has for me. Also I have read most elite runners use the ball of the foot or the mid-foot as this tends to keep some of the forward momentum.

Rock on!
Rick

2008-04-22 3:35 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Guys,

I'm back. Sorry about dropping out of sight for more than a week...

My IMAZ race did not go well and I was in a serious funk most of last week.

The bad news was, my goal of a sub 13 hour PR went out the window, and I had to decide on the fly how to just manage to finish the race (which I did with just minutes to spare).

The good news was, I was able to hang on (although just barely), I received a lot of great love and support while on the course, and I was able to finish the race, on a day where many racers had to pull the plug for all sorts of reasons (health, injury, and heat related problems).

I can't say I'm satisfied with the way the day went, but I'm trying to just put it behind me....

I'll add move detail to all of the above in my race report.

As far as "what is next", I am gearing back up for the San Diego Rock n Roll marathon on June 1st.

And brace yourselves....I made a impulsive (maybe unwise ...?) decision to participate in the 1st Annual OC Blazeman triathlon. It is more of a ALS fundraiser/training event, then a race. You can sign up for as little as $20, and choose any distance/format. I shrewdly signed up for the 140.6 distance (long course).

Why do I do this to myself?? I don't know.... I suppose we could all ask ourselves the same question. For me, I think I just want to push myself a little further.

Anyhow, more to follow....

Also, in the meanwhile, I have left Greg without the training plan I promised him and need to address this.

Greg, I think it would help if we spoke on the phone to sync up. Maybe on Wed night (4/23) ??

Edited by dhyte 2008-04-22 3:38 PM
2008-04-23 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1355256

User image

Austin,
Congratulations on the finish, Danny. Sorry to hear it didn't go as well as hoped. Finishing an IM is a lot more than the overwhelming majority of people can say. And you've done it more than a couple of times!

dhyte - 2008-04-22 3:35 PM

Also, in the meanwhile, I have left Greg without the training plan I promised him and need to address this.

Greg, I think it would help if we spoke on the phone to sync up. Maybe on Wed night (4/23) ??

No worries on the plan; I'm still chuggin' along. I'll send you a note. Tonight is good; the one night this week without baseball, t-ball or PTA stuff.
2008-04-23 7:45 PM

Florida
Danny, Congrats on finishing the race!!!!! I know it wasn't in your goal, but thats still an amazing thing to finish your 3rd ironman. Anyone that can do that is awesome.

I found out at work today that May 12 is now the date for my arrival in SD. Between my schedule and my boss being out of town a good bit, it was continually pushed back. But May 12 is the day until sometime in August, and I'll be staying on base somewhere. Now I just have to finish up the logistics of getting my bike out there and figure out a race to prepare for while I'm out there... although I'm not quite in the shape I was hoping to be in when I get there.

And guys...I haven't completely vanished off the earth... just partly, and hopefully I'm back to stay now.

My training has been close to none for almost the past month, especially over the past couple weeks. Part of it has been laziness, but most of it has been that I've been too tired. I'd get 8 hours of sleep a night, and an evening nap, and still be a zombie at work the next day. Even sleeping in on weekends didn't help things.

I really wasn't sure why I was so tired until this past week, and after putting a few things together I think I've figured out why. I can't remember if I've mentioned this in any posts in the thread, but my mom passed away in November, and for some reason it's been really hard the past couple weeks. Its just sapped all energy away from me, and any motivation to go work out.

However, I did finally got back to the gym this morning, and I'm hoping I can keep it up and get things going back on track. I'm planning on a return to the gym tomorrow and a bike ride for tomorrow afternoon.

As far as any training plan goes, right now I don't really have one that I'm working off of. First thing I probably need to do is to find a race so I'll have something to work towards. My schedule will surely be changing when I get to SD as opposed to what it is now. I'll start looking at the races in the SD area, and if you have any you know of in the July'ish time frame you'd suggest, Danny, that'd be awesome.

Haha I kinda feel like I'm starting all over back in January.
2008-04-28 10:50 PM
in reply to: #1358372

For Nancy, sorry to hear about your Mother, it is always hard to say goodbye. I was just in Florida 2 weeks ago saying my final goodbyes to my Grandmother. It was tough. I know this might sound kinda weird but in some way I try to draw some motivation or inspiration from her, she was always so proud of me and I never got a chance to explain my Triathlon goals to her. I just know she would have wanted to see pictures and hear about all it.

Danny,
I heard a story about a triathlete who was attacked by a shark in San Diego. Did you hear this? The funny ( or not so funny) comment I heard was to swim but try not to look like a sea lion while doing it!!!

So whats up people!!! Any news on training, races? Kinda quiet around here?
Let's RACE!!!

Bought a new bike this weekend, pretty cool, haven't even had a chance to train on it yet due to weather, we have had 35 degrees and rain around here still.........yuck!!

Here is another "gotta have" for the IPOD...................We're an American band by BTO!!
ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!
Rick

2008-04-29 3:57 PM

User image

Regular
Hi Peeps

Well Ive raced at last this year did a half marathon on Sunday, took me 1 hr 41.05 which I was pretty pleased with. Really comfy for most of the race and now have the motivation and space in which to push on.

hope u all are well x

2008-05-02 6:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: What Did'ya Wear

For those of you who have already done your first tri - I've got a question.  What did'ya wear?

I'm trying to figure out the swim to bike to run transition thing - and clothing.  When I train I wear a speedo to swim (ok, the image of me in a speedo is bad - but remember, I'm in Germany, and there are dudes way, way bigger than me wearing them), bike shorts to bike and regular running shorts or tights when I run.

I don't want to ride in a speedo, and don't particularly want to run in bike shorts.

I've been searching around the stores for something I can use through all three, but haven't had any luck.  I'm sure there is I'm just not seeing it.

I'd be interested in your ideas.

My first race is in less than three weeks.

Thom

PS - how have you trained transitions.

2008-05-02 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1377204

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
Subject: RE: What Did'ya Wear
sundevil87 - 2008-05-02 6:38 AM

For those of you who have already done your first tri - I've got a question.  What did'ya wear?

I'm trying to figure out the swim to bike to run transition thing - and clothing.  When I train I wear a speedo to swim (ok, the image of me in a speedo is bad - but remember, I'm in Germany, and there are dudes way, way bigger than me wearing them), bike shorts to bike and regular running shorts or tights when I run.

I don't want to ride in a speedo, and don't particularly want to run in bike shorts.

I've been searching around the stores for something I can use through all three, but haven't had any luck.  I'm sure there is I'm just not seeing it.

I'd be interested in your ideas.

My first race is in less than three weeks.

Thom

PS - how have you trained transitions.

This is what I wore in my first sprint and plan to wear again this weekend for my second sprint.

http://www.trisports.com/zoot-mens-trifit-8in-shorts.html

They are kind of exspensive, but I figured that they would last a long time. You can wear these shorts to swim, bike, and run in. They have a good padding for biking that can get wet.

I practiced transitions in my driveway in the front of my house. I would jump in the shower to get wet, run outside and put my bike stuff on, ride my bike, come back and change to my running stuff, and run.

Good luck on your first tri!!! I'm sure that you will kick some arse!!!
2008-05-05 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1377464

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: RE: What Did'ya Wear

Txhokie - 2008-05-02 2:43 PM  This is what I wore in my first sprint and plan to wear again this weekend for my second sprint. http://www.trisports.com/zoot-mens-trifit-8in-shorts.htmlThey are kind of exspensive, but I figured that they would last a long time. You can wear these shorts to swim, bike, and run in. They have a good padding for biking that can get wet. I practiced transitions in my driveway in the front of my house. I would jump in the shower to get wet, run outside and put my bike stuff on, ride my bike, come back and change to my running stuff, and run. Good luck on your first tri!!! I'm sure that you will kick some arse!!!

Brian - thanks, ordered a pair last night, along with the Tri-jersey.  I hope they get to Germany in time for my 18th May race.

I'm also buying my first tri-bike from them when I am out in Arizona in three weeks for my daughter's high school graduation.

I'm going to give your transition training regimin a try.

Had a good weekend of training - did both the run and bike at race distances with no problem - have done the swim distance already a number of times.  All that's left to do is to "Just Do It".

Thom

2008-05-05 10:40 AM

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  

of 14