BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-05-05 3:08 PM
in reply to: #1104346

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!!
Nice one, looks like u had a belter!

2008-05-18 12:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: It's official - I'm a Triathlete

I finished my first tri today - I had a complete blast.  I posted the details in a race report.

The race worked out as follows:

Overall time 1:29:07

Swim: 09:16.6 500m

T1: 4:59

Bike: 50:40 20Km

T2: 1:05

Run: 23:07 5K

I was stoked with my swim time, happy with the run, and figured I did as well as can be expected on the bike - considering the course wasn't flat at all and had some killer climbs and I did it on a mountain bike.  I wasn't too excited about the transitions - I went from the swim to my biking/running equipment (clothes/shoes) and took the time to dry off because of the temps.  T1 was long - T2 short because not much to do.

I can see myself getting into this sport.

Edited by sundevil87 2008-05-18 3:21 PM
2008-05-19 9:55 PM

Rock on !!!!!!!!!!!
Great job on the first one! Your times are very respectable for each event I'd say, especially the run. How was the swim start? Did you hang back on just jump right in there?
How many other entries were there? Wetsuit for the swim?

I have my first coming on June 2nd. so I am pretty stoked now can't wait to go. The distances are exactly the same as yours was, although my times will be slightly longer I think. Anyway, I am driving up to Michigan from Illinois with a couple friends so hopefully I can chill the night before and get some good sleep. I can't wait, did I mention that?

So how far off is your next Tri? Are you sticking with the Sprints?

Rock on
Rick from Chicago
2008-05-20 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1412611

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado

rsand222 - 2008-05-20 3:55 AM Rock on !!!!!!!!!!! Great job on the first one! Your times are very respectable for each event I'd say, especially the run. How was the swim start? Did you hang back on just jump right in there? How many other entries were there? Wetsuit for the swim? I have my first coming on June 2nd. so I am pretty stoked now can't wait to go. The distances are exactly the same as yours was, although my times will be slightly longer I think. Anyway, I am driving up to Michigan from Illinois with a couple friends so hopefully I can chill the night before and get some good sleep. I can't wait, did I mention that? So how far off is your next Tri? Are you sticking with the Sprints? Rock on Rick from Chicago

Thanks.  Swim start was everybody in the pool at the beginning.  There were four of us in my lane (earlier starts had up to 10).  We all talked about our expected complete times and arranged ourselves accordingly.  Then, during the swim, if one swimmer wanted to pass, the slower swimmer moved to the corner of the lane at the turn.  Other heats weren't as orderly - just luck in my case I guess

I did not wear a wetsuit - most did.  Though it was cold - real cold - the distance didn't warrant a wet suit I think.  But, I did completely dry off an put on dry bike/run clothes.  Those who wore wet suits, with their other clothes underneath - were real cold starting the bike.  The bike start was straight down hill for about 500m - high rate of speed - and it was in the high 50's / low 60's - they were coldddd.

I'm trying to sort through the results.  I believe I finished 70 overall in the sprint out of 94 - with my best event the swim (35th), followed by the run (51) and then the bike (84) - which had to be because of the bike I rode.  I know I was a strong as many of the competitors - nobody on a mountain bike passed me - I was only passed by those on road/tri bikes.

I have another sprint later in June and an Oly in Aug.  I am planning on the Berlin Marathon in Sept - though I may not push for that race.  I'm nursing a quadricpes tendon injury (right at the insertion into the knee).  I'm taking a couple weeks off (I'm on vacation back in the States (AZ) and I'll use the time to stay off putting any pressure on my knee).

I had a lot of fun - especially the bike and run.  The swim - I worked at it, and it was colllllddddd.  I tried my hardest not to push and to take in the event - it went ok, except the swim, where I finished about 40 seconds faster than I thought I would.  I was pushed by the other swimmers in the lane with me.

Enjoy your first - you'll have a blast.

2008-05-20 10:36 PM

yeah, really looking forward to it. MY swim is in a lake in middle of Michigan and we have had a very cold May so water will most likely be very cold on June 2, I will wear the suit. Plus the extra help can't hurt.

Looks like this mentor group is fading, more like a peer group now.
I thinkl Danny has left the building after his brutal IMAN I think he faded out here.

Anyway, best of luck on the trianing for Tri.

Tchuss , not the right spelling but I speak little German just can't spell it. I am ex-Army, 3 yrs with 15 months in Karlsruhe, great Schloss there, great beer of course.

Later, rock on
Rick
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  

of 14