BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2007-12-16 12:51 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!!

User Name: dhyte

Story:

I am 43 and got interested in triathlons in 2003. My first race was a sprint in early 2004. My brother (jchyte) and myself have been encouraging/pushing each other all the way...it's been great. I still consider myself a beginner (even though I have 4+ years invested). I'm a middle/back of the pack clydesdale, and probably always will be.

I'm involved with triathlon because:

- I love it
- It's a great way to stay in shape
- You can hang put with other triathletes (a fun/crazy group of people) !
- It's a good excuse have a short work day !

Family:
I'm married, and have a 17 year old daughter. I am a Software Development Manager for a large Aerospace company located in San Diego, CA. I'm trying to decide which character in the movie "Office Space " is most like me.....

Training:
I am currently training for my third Ironman (IM AZ - April 13, 2008).
I am also going to be doing the San Diego Rock'n'Roll Marathon and the New York Marathon this year.

I have raced Sprint, Olympic, Half and Full Ironman distances. I have run 5Ks through Marathon distance races (5 marathons under my belt so far). I have a desire to do some Ultra running at some point also.

I am mostly self-coached. My workouts are a combination of solo and group training. I swim with a Master's group and also participate in group workouts/activities with TCSD (Triathlon Club of San Diego).

I was a competative swimmer as a kid (through high school), but never was a runner/cyclist. I have played sports my entire life, but only became an "endurance athlete" in 2003.

I am currently following the Ironman training plan from Frey/Huddle's book "Start to Finish, Ironman Training ".

Weight:
I was just over 260 lbs when I started in 2003 - I'm 6'2". I vary around 230 these days. I would like to be 205, but my body seems to like 230 ... I guess that I'm a work in progress.

Edited by dhyte 2008-02-03 1:59 AM

2007-12-30 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1104346

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Open for business !!

My group has just opened (just in time for the new year).

Let's get a good group together and kick some butt this year !

Danny

Happy New year !! 

2007-12-30 10:51 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Enjoy your last day for dessert, cuz we're working hard in 2008 - Open !!

Tomorrow is the 31st.  last day for dessert and living large. 

Starting January 1st, we are working our butts off!

Are you with me ?????? 

2007-12-31 9:42 AM
in reply to: #1123645

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Enjoy your last day for dessert, cuz we're working hard in 2008 - Open !!
Hi Danny

Seeing as the door is open thought I’d jump right on in!

I’m Neil but call me Cav, aged 42 living in a place called Hull in England. I’m married with a couple of beautiful young daughters and a wife called Janet. I work as a Programme Manager in the Utilities Business. I’m just over 6 feet tall and weigh 155 pounds. Ok enough background!

I started running about 4 years ago and have done a number of 10ks and ½ marathons, with pbs being 43.54 and 1hr 42 24. I have a race bike in the garage which is gathering dust (was a regular rider until this year but have neglected in favour of running) and as for swimming, 15 mins of breaststroke and I’m done, front crawl, 50 meters and I’m sinking!

Triathlon has fascinated me for years and now it’s about time I took the plunge. Goals for this year are to drop my 10k and ½ marathon times by 1 minute and to compete in 3 sprint triathlons, obviously I’m a complete novice in this area so need a good buddy/mentor to give me a helping hand. I must confess 2007 was going to be my first year of tri but I guess I got caught up in the hurly burly of daily life and blew it so am determine not to fail this time round!

Wishing you a crazy, happy and healthy 2008 and am looking forward to being known as ‘Neil Cavill – Triathlete’!!
2007-12-31 11:14 AM

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
I would love to join your group Danny. You have my respect for finishing an Ironman and becoming a mentor for us beginners. I’m a 33 year old with an ambition to finish an Ironman one day. I have no biking or running experience what so ever. I was on my swim team as a child at the local pool for a couple of years, so that is all the triathlon knowledge I have. About a month ago I started running and biking (got a racing bike for x-mas) and joined a gym where I can swim. I’m currently following the beginner sprint program with heart rate. I’m having a blast exercising, while feeling the best I have felt in years. You could say that I’m hooked. Looking forward to being an active part in this group learning all I can before my first triathlon this summer. Not to mention that I’m already nervous!!
2007-12-31 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Happy New Year Danny! Well after a little training break, I'm ready to jump back in. I've got my eyes set on a few races this coming year. Last season I finished 3 Sprints and one Olympic race. I've got 4 funny boys ages 6-13 (2 who want to race!) and one very supportive (and loudest race cheerleader!) husband. Last season was fun and I learned a lot. This season - time to step it up!

In 2008 I would like to :
1) Join the local triathlon club and participate in their local sponsored events
2) Focus on a few bigger races: Rosarito Ensenada 50 mile bike race in April 2008 and the (gulp) half Vineman in July 2008.
3) find a great training program that is both challenging and doable (time and effort apppropriate)
4) concentrate on my weaker area - running. Improve tecnique and time (do I really hunker down and "run in the squat"??)
5) of course lose those last 10 pounds necessary for me to be a lean, mean racing machine!

2007 has been an exciting year full of changes, challenges, and triumphs. I'm ready for 2008!!

Thank you Danny for being a mentor again in 2008, I look forward to your Ironman wisdom!!!

Carol

2007-12-31 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Danny,

Looking to join the group if you'll have me!

My name is Thom. I am 42 years old, married with 5 children (4 girls, 1 boy, ages 2yrs to 18). I am a Lieutenant Colonel in the US Army stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany where I command a Strategic Signal Battalion. I have set a goal to complete an Ironman before I'm 45 - this year I begin the quest!

As a military person I'm in fairly decent shape but coming off a couple injuries that have kept me sidelined for a few months (shoulder injury, plus two running related injuries, see below).

I was a swimmer in high school, swimming freestyle long distances - though I don't get in the pool much any longer - but when I do, it all comes back. I have to figure out how to do the swim workouts in the local German pools as we don't have one on post. Shouldn't be an issue.

I do run. I've completed one marathon (Berlin) and prepared for two others but was unable to complete (London 2000 - deployed to Kosovo one week before the race; and Berlin 2007, injured (knee tendonitis in my last long run (24 mi) - and I developed bursitis in both heals after changing to new shoes - bad, bad, bad, its taking forever to recover).

Bike will be new to me, although I have started biking and have worked out at distances up to 15mi.

My experience preparing for Berlin this year taught me to heed the advice of a gradual program to build to your goals - I pushed too hard and it cost me a marathon and about 3 months of PT.

So, my goals for 2008:

Train and compete in sprint - and perhaps an olympic
Complete the Berlin 08 Marathon (already commited to some German friends of mine that I would do it with them)
Get my weight down to 175 (currently 187)
Set the condition for advancing to Half Ironman in 2009 and my ulitmate goal of Ironman before April 2010.

I think the biggest challenge will be scheduling the workouts and working them around my schedule - but from what I can tell I'm not the first person that has ever had this problem. I'm also going to have to tap into a resource for finding races I can compete in.

I'm looking forward to the new year - and to the day I can call myself a Triathlete!

Thom

Edited by sundevil87 2007-12-31 12:25 PM
2008-01-01 6:03 AM

User image

Regular
happy new year folks - lets make it a belter.

Started mine with a slight hangover but had a swift 5 mile run in a wet, cold and windy day in the UK, I feel as though I've got off on the right foot by doing so!

2008-01-01 12:52 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi everybody!  and Welcome  !!!  Happy New Year !

Today is a little hectic with visiting family and friends on New Years Day, but I wanted to check in with everyone.

I ran up Iron Mountain (in Poway, CA) this morning.  It seemed like an appropriate way to start the year!

I'm looking forward getting to know all of you and working with each of you.

This is my second time as a mentor on BT, and I think I learned some good lessons the first time that will be helpful for this group.

Over the next few days, I would like to get more info from each of you on what you want to accomplish in your training this year, what your schedule looks like (and allows for training).

I'd like to come up with a plan for each of you that addresses your triathlon goals and training in general.

One thing that I also learned on my previous stint as a mentor is that life gets in the way sometimes (for me as well as the rest of the group).  It will be important to remember that if you miss a day, a week, or whatever that you jump right back in, stay plugged into the group, support each other, and keep pressing on toward your goals.

That's it for now.  I'll be following up later tonight with some specific questions for each of you.

Looking forward to a great year!

Danny 

2008-01-02 5:03 AM

Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Wide Open !!
Hello there.
I was looking over the different groups and think if you still have room that your group would be the best for me. Mostly due to the fact that our bodies are similar and so are our ages and a not-to-healthy appetite for junk!
As it stands I haven't exercised with any frequency for a few months. I have never done a race and as usual am setting my sites on the big one. I would do it here in Canada (live in Quebec), and don't own any equipment as of yet other than runners. Actually I have been smoking again for about 4 months after a 15 yr. break plus a couple of other bad habits so this is a very important thing for me to succeed at.
I know I do need advice and encouragement so that is why I am applying to join in with you and see where it may lead!
Thanks
Jayson Gilmour
2008-01-02 1:48 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Somewhat Open (Room for a couple more) !!

We have an excellent group coming together!
We have room for a couple more still....

So far:

Txhokie        (Brian)            Texas
fullie64         (Jayson)         Quebec
njcavill65      (Cav)              UK
Sundevil87   (Thom)            Germany
ccessex        (Carol)            San Diego

Mentor:
dhyte          (Danny)            San Diego

We have a good variety of people and backgrounds, so this will be a lot of fun.
Let's try to include some good info about our geographical areas in our posts, to keep it interesting.

Sunny San Diego in about to have the biggest rainstorm in 2 years this weekend.  That will mean some indoor training this weekend.  Of course, a San Diego rainstorm is nothing compared to the rain that takes place throughout most of the world. 

2008-01-02 2:07 PM
in reply to: #1124205

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

OK, let's start with Cav...

Sounds like you have an excellent running background.  You mention wanting to drop 1 minute of your 10K and 1/2 Marathon PR times.  That sounds like a great goal, but I'm wondering if it is a big enough challenge for you.  The answer would depend on how hard you trained for the races you PR'd in, how much time you have for training compared to your training before the other races, and a variety of other lesser factors.  Think about it, and let's talk more about those goal times.

It sounds like you have a good build for running (6 feet / 155 lbs).  That is also going to be helpful in your swimming.  You mention that you were a regular biking until focusing on running the last year.  What was your biking level?  Recreational? Commuter? More?  About how many miles per week were you averaging?  Doesn't matter what the amount was, I'm just trying to get a better picture.

The biking should not be a problem for you at all, just need to get back in the saddle.

Swimming:

We need to get you into the water as much, and as often as possible.  Do you have a pool available to you? indoor?  You should be swimming at least 2-3 times per week.  We can start small and just keep building on it.  The only way to do it is to spend time in the water regularly.  I'd like to know if there is any organized swimming (coached?) in your area.  I swim with a Master's program.  I believe they are an international organization.  Do you have any Master's programs near you?

Races:

Have you picked any races yet?  Signed up yet?

I'd like to talk about this a lot more.  This is a huge issue.  Having a race actually on the calendar/scheduled is a great motivater to get those workouts in.   Knowing the date of your 1st race will help me to tailor my training advice to you.  Please put together a list of your race schedule for the entire year (or candidate races that you are considering).

Danny

njcavill65 - 2007-12-31 7:42 AM Hi Danny Seeing as the door is open thought I’d jump right on in! I’m Neil but call me Cav, aged 42 living in a place called Hull in England. I’m married with a couple of beautiful young daughters and a wife called Janet. I work as a Programme Manager in the Utilities Business. I’m just over 6 feet tall and weigh 155 pounds. Ok enough background! I started running about 4 years ago and have done a number of 10ks and ½ marathons, with pbs being 43.54 and 1hr 42 24. I have a race bike in the garage which is gathering dust (was a regular rider until this year but have neglected in favour of running) and as for swimming, 15 mins of breaststroke and I’m done, front crawl, 50 meters and I’m sinking! Triathlon has fascinated me for years and now it’s about time I took the plunge. Goals for this year are to drop my 10k and ½ marathon times by 1 minute and to compete in 3 sprint triathlons, obviously I’m a complete novice in this area so need a good buddy/mentor to give me a helping hand. I must confess 2007 was going to be my first year of tri but I guess I got caught up in the hurly burly of daily life and blew it so am determine not to fail this time round! Wishing you a crazy, happy and healthy 2008 and am looking forward to being known as ‘Neil Cavill – Triathlete’!!

2008-01-02 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1124475

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Brian!

Welcome to Triathlon !!!
Sounds like you have the triathlon bug pretty good already!

I just looked at your training logs a little bit.  You are off to a great start.
I like that you have annotated a lot of good detail from your plan into your logs.  I'd like to see a little more info in terms of where you you are riding/running.  Indoors/outdoors?  Flat/hilly?  Long slow day? Hill workouts?  Repeats? Interval training etc.

I'd also like to have more feedback on your level of effort for the workouts.  Are you dong a workout with a High Perceived Level of Effort?  Was the given workout easy/hard for you.  Are you able to recover adequately?  Are you pushing hard enough?  I'd like to get a better insight to your conditioning level as we continue.

Are you swimming on your own or as part of a group?

I'd love to hear more about the new bike (and congrats on that !)

You mention a desire to do an Ironman race - excellent goal!

What is your timeframe for this goal?  What other goals do you have for the year?  You mention a triathlon sometime in the summer.  Which triathlon?  Let's talk more about this and any other races for this year.

Danny 

Txhokie - 2007-12-31 9:14 AM I would love to join your group Danny. You have my respect for finishing an Ironman and becoming a mentor for us beginners. I’m a 33 year old with an ambition to finish an Ironman one day. I have no biking or running experience what so ever. I was on my swim team as a child at the local pool for a couple of years, so that is all the triathlon knowledge I have. About a month ago I started running and biking (got a racing bike for x-mas) and joined a gym where I can swim. I’m currently following the beginner sprint program with heart rate. I’m having a blast exercising, while feeling the best I have felt in years. You could say that I’m hooked. Looking forward to being an active part in this group learning all I can before my first triathlon this summer. Not to mention that I’m already nervous!!

2008-01-02 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Somewhat Open (room for a couple more) !!
I'm not at the most northern latitude of the group, but this time of year it gets dark early - and doesn't get light until later in the morning. It's been pretty cold and icy in Germany, too much so to ride outdoors but when its light running outside is ok.

I'm getting set up for my training. I've selected a training program from BT - the Silver Beginner Sprint with HR. I set my training to start on the upcoming Monday, but I have started the workouts on the plan. I ran yesterday and I got a lift in today. I have to find a pool to use to do the swim workouts, but from some folks I talked to today there are plenty.

I haven't read any of the articles on winter training, but would be interested in the best indoor training options - specifically for bike training. I assume spinning is a better choice than a typical gym bike machine - is that correct? Any tips?

I found a great resource - finally - for race information in Germany, so my worries about finding local races are no more. It looks like there will be plenty of sprint races - most beginning in the May / June time frame, running through October.

Another question - whats reasonable race shedule for a beginner. I'm floating doing two sprints, one in May with another in July hoping to do a Olympic at the end of the year. Is that too ambitious? Add to that I've got that plan to do the Berlin Marathon in September. As I type this I'm thinking - "way too much". Thoughts?

Tschuss for now.

Thom
2008-01-02 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1124477

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Carol, 

Welcome back to Round TWO of this Mentor Group!!

I hope you had an awesome Christmas and wonderful holiday in general.  Looking at your training logs, it appears that you gave yourself some time off for the winter, but are now back in action.  Excellent !!  )I had some serious downtime in December also    ).

You had a great triathlon year in 2007, and I'm sure 2008 will be a lot of fun too.

Your goals from below:

1) Join local tri club.
Do this !!!  It will help sooooo much.  TCSD (Tri Club of San Diego) has been great for me nad I would recommend joining as soon as possible.  I will probably be doing a mentor program through the club this year too.  The TCSD club races are great too (and free!).

2) Races for 2008
Let's talk about these races, and any others you want to do.  I did the 1/2 Vineman in 2005 and have some good info regarding it.  I have not done the Ensenada Race, but know others who have, and could provide insight.  Are you already signed up for these races?

3) General Training Program
I can help you come up with a program, or find an existing one that meets your needs.  This will be based largely on your goals/races for the year, so let's get that nailed down first, and then figure out how to make it all happen!

4) Running
This is also mine weakest area (and lots of other people also).
I think you are a perfect candidate for some track workouts to help in this area.
TCSD has 2 different locations where this is offered (free).

And yes...you do hunker down during the run!  (nothing those track workouts won't cure)

5) Lose 10 pounds
Ohhh believe me, we are going to work so hard this year, you will be needing to load up on carbs just to maintain weight!!! (I tell myself this every year...somehow I have never perfected  losing that last 10 lbs, but we are going to work hard this year !!).

Danny 

ccessex - 2007-12-31 9:14 AM Happy New Year Danny! Well after a little training break, I'm ready to jump back in. I've got my eyes set on a few races this coming year. Last season I finished 3 Sprints and one Olympic race. I've got 4 funny boys ages 6-13 (2 who want to race!) and one very supportive (and loudest race cheerleader!) husband. Last season was fun and I learned a lot. This season - time to step it up! In 2008 I would like to : 1) Join the local triathlon club and participate in their local sponsored events 2) Focus on a few bigger races: Rosarito Ensenada 50 mile bike race in April 2008 and the (gulp) half Vineman in July 2008. 3) find a great training program that is both challenging and doable (time and effort apppropriate) 4) concentrate on my weaker area - running. Improve tecnique and time (do I really hunker down and "run in the squat"??) 5) of course lose those last 10 pounds necessary for me to be a lean, mean racing machine! 2007 has been an exciting year full of changes, challenges, and triumphs. I'm ready for 2008!! Thank you Danny for being a mentor again in 2008, I look forward to your Ironman wisdom!!! Carol

2008-01-02 2:52 PM

Hello Danny,

I would like to join your group if possible.

Here is my short bio.

I have always been sport active, love golf and soccer. It wasn't until May of 2006 when I started training to finish a 100K mountain bike race. After that race I got hooked into ciclying and bought my first road bike, my goal for 2007 was to finish a 100 mile ride in under 5:30 and the same 100K mtb race with a better time.

Now this year my goals have changed and decided to do some duathlons and the idea to do a tri is still there hehehe...I have this crazy idea of maybe doing an iron-man next year...so that is why I'm here...

btw, I'm 32, still single with no kids...I'll post my schedule and training routine shortly....

Thanks

Mike C.

2008-01-02 3:19 PM
in reply to: #1124570

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Thom,

Welcome aboard !

Congratulations on some of the goals you have set, including working up to to IM distance by April 2010 - you can do it !!!

Sounds like the biggest challenge is going to be staying healthy, while still pushing yourself as much as possible (and time allows).

One thing I have learned is to listen to your body.  When in doubt, shut it down and give yourself time to heal/recover.  I have made the mistake of trying to "push through" an injury, and end up making it much worse in the long run.

I'd like to get an update on your shoulder, knee, and heel injuries.  There are ways to be creative and continue training without aggravating injuries further. 

Berlin Marathon is Sep 28?  Is this your "A Race" of the year? 
As far as the sprint or olympic triathlons...when will you be doing these this year?  Do you have some specific races in mind?  Maybe I could help identify/locate soime races that would be a good fit for you.  As soon as you are sure of a race you want to do, you should sign up and have that additional committment working for you.

At what point does weather become a factor in Germany?

You mention developing bursitis in both heels after switching to new shoes.  More info please.  Your brand/type of shoe before/during the injury.  Did your running training/volume change/increase during this time?  What are you running in now?  Are you sure you are running in the correct shoe for your build/mechanics?

I'd like to know more about your biking also.  Type of bike, where you are riding, how strong are you on the bike, etc.

Time management:
Brother, I can sympathise with you on this one.  At times I have had an extrememley busy schedule, including during training.  This is sometimes the biggest problem area for myself and many others.  I'd like to get a little better picture on your schedule, and how many hours/training sessions are realistic for you.  It sounds like you have a very demanding job and there are probably not enough hours in the day.  I'm sure we can come up with a training plan that that will fit your needs!

Danny 

sundevil87 - 2007-12-31 9:58 AM Danny, Looking to join the group if you'll have me! My name is Thom. I am 42 years old, married with 5 children (4 girls, 1 boy, ages 2yrs to 18). I am a Lieutenant Colonel in the US Army stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany where I command a Strategic Signal Battalion. I have set a goal to complete an Ironman before I'm 45 - this year I begin the quest! As a military person I'm in fairly decent shape but coming off a couple injuries that have kept me sidelined for a few months (shoulder injury, plus two running related injuries, see below). I was a swimmer in high school, swimming freestyle long distances - though I don't get in the pool much any longer - but when I do, it all comes back. I have to figure out how to do the swim workouts in the local German pools as we don't have one on post. Shouldn't be an issue. I do run. I've completed one marathon (Berlin) and prepared for two others but was unable to complete (London 2000 - deployed to Kosovo one week before the race; and Berlin 2007, injured (knee tendonitis in my last long run (24 mi) - and I developed bursitis in both heals after changing to new shoes - bad, bad, bad, its taking forever to recover). Bike will be new to me, although I have started biking and have worked out at distances up to 15mi. My experience preparing for Berlin this year taught me to heed the advice of a gradual program to build to your goals - I pushed too hard and it cost me a marathon and about 3 months of PT. So, my goals for 2008: Train and compete in sprint - and perhaps an olympic Complete the Berlin 08 Marathon (already commited to some German friends of mine that I would do it with them) Get my weight down to 175 (currently 187) Set the condition for advancing to Half Ironman in 2009 and my ulitmate goal of Ironman before April 2010. I think the biggest challenge will be scheduling the workouts and working them around my schedule - but from what I can tell I'm not the first person that has ever had this problem. I'm also going to have to tap into a resource for finding races I can compete in. I'm looking forward to the new year - and to the day I can call myself a Triathlete! Thom

2008-01-02 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1128812

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Mike,

Welcome to out group!

Good job on the biking goals you accomplished in 2007.  I'm looking forward to helping with your goals for 2008 !

I'll wait for your update on the training routine, etc before I get into much detail.

Please provide as much ino as possible (maybe look at some of the rpevious post in the is thread for the type of info I am asking of everyone).  Are you still active in soccer?  Have you done any distance running previously?

What area do you live?  We have a pretty diverse group already, sit its pretty cool.

32 and single?  You should have a lot of time for training, so we'll have to load you up pretty good!  Right ? 

Danny 

MilkeC - 2008-01-02 12:52 PM Hello Danny, I would like to join your group if possible. Here is my short bio. I have always been sport active, love golf and soccer. It wasn't until May of 2006 when I started training to finish a 100K mountain bike race. After that race I got hooked into ciclying and bought my first road bike, my goal for 2007 was to finish a 100 mile ride in under 5:30 and the same 100K mtb race with a better time. Now this year my goals have changed and decided to do some duathlons and the idea to do a tri is still there hehehe...I have this crazy idea of maybe doing an iron-man next year...so that is why I'm here... btw, I'm 32, still single with no kids...I'll post my schedule and training routine shortly.... Thanks Mike C.

2008-01-02 7:00 PM
in reply to: #1128724

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
Thanks for the great introduction here. You are right about the bug, I ran in 34 degree cold today. That is cold for us in Texas. I'm following the training plan on BT to the "T" pretty much. It is telling me to train in the 1-2 heart rate zones and that is where I stay. I have done the LT test from Joe Friel and figured that I have a 170 bpm for zone 5a. Which following the chart shows me to train between 145-155 running and 139-151 biking. I do not keep up with the heart rate on swimming although I probably push it above the zone 2 feeling comfortable. My level of effort staying in the zone 2 is pretty light for the riding/running. Although, I seem to be slower at running then the other 2. I have run in some 5k races and cannot seem to break the 30 minute mark with not a lot of training. I question weather I should be training in the lower zones for endurance on longer runs or follow the BT program to the "T"? My recovery seems great. After I swim, I'm ready to go more. After I bike, I'm ready to go more. After I run, I'm ready to go more. I really need to follow a program in fear of over training.

I am riding/running outdoors 95% of the time as long as it is not raining, then I go to the gym. The routes that I use are somewhat hilly, but that would be more of a long steady increasing hill more then a steep hill. I swim alone and love swimming.

Being my first bike and not wanting to take out a house note I purchased a 2008 Trek 2.1 http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/road/2_series/21/
I really like it, it took them 2 hours for them to fit it. I know it is not a Tri bike, but if I'm as excited about this now this time next year, I plan to up grade.

I'm still looking into what races to race this summer. There is one May 4 that I'm really interested in starting out on. It is a sprint 300 yard swim/13.8 mile bike/3.1 mile run. Then I plan to do another one in August or September. Should I look into racing in more?

My time line for an Ironman would be in 3 years. Is that to far away or to soon? I figure that I would work on sprint/Olympic for 2 years and then half IM and full IM the next.

Thanks for the help and congrats on your good start for the new year.

dhyte - 2008-01-02 2:22 PM

Hi Brian!

Welcome to Triathlon !!!
Sounds like you have the triathlon bug pretty good already!

I just looked at your training logs a little bit.  You are off to a great start.
I like that you have annotated a lot of good detail from your plan into your logs.  I'd like to see a little more info in terms of where you you are riding/running.  Indoors/outdoors?  Flat/hilly?  Long slow day? Hill workouts?  Repeats? Interval training etc.

I'd also like to have more feedback on your level of effort for the workouts.  Are you dong a workout with a High Perceived Level of Effort?  Was the given workout easy/hard for you.  Are you able to recover adequately?  Are you pushing hard enough?  I'd like to get a better insight to your conditioning level as we continue.

Are you swimming on your own or as part of a group?

I'd love to hear more about the new bike (and congrats on that !)

You mention a desire to do an Ironman race - excellent goal!

What is your timeframe for this goal?  What other goals do you have for the year?  You mention a triathlon sometime in the summer.  Which triathlon?  Let's talk more about this and any other races for this year.

Danny

2008-01-02 11:10 PM

Hello again everyone!!
Thanks so much for allowing me to join your group first of all!
So far I haven't done anything other than some outdoor walks. Currently it is -22 celsius with a wind so this is not really inspiring weather to run in. However I understand there is a new place close by that has a couple of treadmills so I am checking into that tomorrow. The local pool is open 2x/week and a free swim on the weekend so I can get what I need that way. So that will leave bicycling to take care of. I do have a cross-training question however. I have obvious access to snow and have some cross-country skis and also there is the local outdoor rink to play hockey on with a pick-up type theme. So my question would be (and I understand that much of our training will have to be spend actually doing the three areas) how much of this type of activity would you feel might make up at least for now? Anyone with experience would be welcome to give an opinion!
Just to add a bit more to the bio aspect. I was 260 as well last year and sit at about 210 now. I am divorced but have two great children who are close by. I too want to give myself the birthday present (45 in November 2008) of an Ironman and still am looking as to which race might be the best for me.
Thanks again to our mentor and I look forward to getting to know the group members too!!!
Bye for now
Jay
2008-01-02 11:15 PM

Florida
Hey!

If you still have room for one more, I'd love to take that spot.

I'm Nancy, 24, from Florida. I just graduated from school and will be working as a mechanical engineer soon so not quite sure right now how my training schedule will look with a totally new daily schedule coming my way. I consider myself a beginner although I've toyed with tri's on and off for a few years. I did my very first sprint on a heavy mountain bike in 2001 (embarrassing story there...but had enough fun to keep me coming back) and didn't touch it again until 2 summers ago when I did 2 sprints. History repeated itself and I'm just now trying to get back into it.

My strongest of the three would definitely be the swim, I have never been a runner or a biker, but I can do both (although maybe slowly). I got myself a road bike in the winter before last that has served me well, but I'm hoping if I can get back into the sport again this summer after I start working to get myself something newer and better.

I have had issues with shin splints and slight knee problems which have usually caused the downfall of my training efforts.

My goals for the year:
Run the Gate River Run 15K... I started the 10 week training program for that this week
Run a couple sprints over the summer
Not stop training after a couple months
Shed the pounds I gained while writing my thesis last year

2008-01-03 5:13 AM

One last question for now if I may? It is in regards to HR training. I have not availed myself as of yet, of a monitor but have found in the past I am totally unable keep myself within the limits of my age. I can certainly understand how it will be beneficial later on but if I was to follow the guides I would never get past a fast walk. So in the beginning is it that important? As I get in better shape wisdom would dictate that my HR would natually descend on a gradual basis and become a bit more stable. So should I concern myself more with just getting at it?
Thanks
Jay
P.S. that workout log is starting to bug me!!!! (that's a good thing btw).
2008-01-03 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1128922

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Danny,

Update / info on my injuries:

Shoulder: I had impingement syndrome in my right shoulder. It is about 98% recovered after serveral months of PT. No limits to my exercise or other activities. PT says that swimming will actually be benefitial.

Knee: Tendonitis; healed. I stayed off it for several weeks and gradually eased back into running/lifting. I injured it on my last long run (24 mile) prior to the Berlin marathon. It was most likely caused by the course I was on - it was a .9km oval course at a nearby municipal park where I participated in a charity event. The course was a counter clockwise run that had a slight incline on the backside. The pain started at about 18 miles, I should have stopped, but didn't - big mistake.

Heels: I have bursitis in both my heels. I've never had this problem before and I've been running for many years. This was caused by a change to the wrong running shoe. I moved to an Asics shoe type that was wrong for me - these were motion control, and I need a cushion shoe. My choices of shoes are limited at our military PX and I took what they had. When I was back in the states on leave this past summer I went to my favorite running store and got properly fitted. The bursitis is resolving but it is taking time. I am at about 80%. I experience some pain from time to time, but not near as much as I did. I track it in my logs. A regime of stretching and some Ionto treatment from my PT has helped. Barring any additional issues - this should not slow me down (crossed fingers). In any case the pain, if any, normally occurs in the beginning of a run and subsides later. My last few runs I haven't had any pain.

The Berlin marathon is a commitment to some German friends of mine - and I have unfinished business, since I didn't get to run last year. My running will be beyond what is required for my sprint - I'll be interested in help in figuring out how to balance. The running program I use is from Jeff Galloway, based on long Sunday runs with lesser distances during the week and employs a run / walk regime.

Biking is all new. I have a mountain bike that I will use initially to train with until I can get a road bike.

I found a great resource for local races in Germany. I am looking at a local sprint in May (the earliest avail), another in July, the marathon in September and an Oly in Oct / Nov (the latest dates I've seen). Does this seem overly ambitious?

With my schedule I am in a mostly good position. We Army types get up early for PT (physical training) - for me that's around 0530. So if I'm not traveling I am up anyway. This is on the weekdays, the challenge is the weekend where I tend to like to sleep in - so I'l have to work on that. Right now the plan I got from BT seems like it will work - I will have to tweak it to fit the right days plus any changes you recommend.

Thom

2008-01-03 2:53 PM

New user

Hi, Danny!

Still have room for one more? I came late to the mentor party, and there don't seem to be that many groups still open. I'd like to get into yours specifically because I also come from a swimming background -- I swam competitively from age 9 to age 17 -- but I don't bike more than recreationally and I Do Not Run At All.

My short profile: I'm 37 years old, wife and mom to a 9-year-old daughter. I sit at a desk all day writing catalogs and don't have a ton of time to devote to training, but am determined to work it in. I also am a brown belt in taekwondo and am working towards red and then black, hopefully by the end of 2008. Unfortunately, just as my martial arts training was starting to take hold, I suffered a hand injury in a sparring match that pretty much sidelined me for six months. Consequenly, I started packing on the pounds, and am now a good 30+ pounds overweight. Hooray.

Not being able to participate in taekwondo really dampened my enthusiasm for exercise in general. Everything just seemed boring and not goal- or skill-oriented enough for me. I'm not a person who can get on the treadmill or bike and just exercise. I need a goal, a game, a match -- something competitive to occupy my mind while I work out. (Oddly, I can get in a pool and swim for lengthy periods, probably because I put in so many waterlogged hours as a kid. My mind finds its own things to do while I exercise.) I'm hoping having a goal -- namely, finishing the Danskin Sprint event on my 38th birthday in July -- will give me something to work towards.

Training: I've just started this thing, and am hoping to use the 28-week couch-to-sprint program. Finding the time is going to be tough, especially for the swimming. The gym I belong to has very limited pool hours, and they are really inconvenient for my work and family schedules. Fortunately, the swim doesn't scare me too much. I couldn't get in and do it today, but after a couple hours in the pool each week I think I'll be able to work up to it fairly quickly. I don't have the obstacle of having to learn to swim efficiently to get over. I have been biking and walking, though, and can do those activities at my convenience either in the gym or, once the long Wisconsin winter is over, on the road.

The biggest problem for me is going to be the run. I Do Not Run. I have really bad knees and ankles from too many years of fast-pitch softball -- catching, specifically. I'm pretty much resigned to having to walk the 5k. And I'm cool with that. I just want to finish. That's my only goal: To celebrate my 38th birthday as a Triathlete.

So if there's room, I'd like to join the fray!

Thanks,
Laura
2008-01-03 3:04 PM

Danny,

Thanks for your reply, honestly I want to transition to duathlons and as you can see on my proposed calendar a tri is included. Still I don't want to abandon MTB, it gives me that adrenaline rush, so that's why I included 1 - 100Km race and 1 - 12hr race.

About soccer, I decided to stop playing this past season (Beginning of Dec) since it wasn't fun anymore due to team problems. My weakest point would be swimming, and that is why I want to build a strong base this year and thus that is why I only want to attempt to do one tri *let me know what you think about this*, my next weak point would be running since soccer is not a continous running sport. And I believe I'm fairly ok on the bike.

Right now I'm trying to focus on the first half of the calendar, on this first half my A event is marked , the rest I try to use them as preparation events and the MTB event as something fun.

Feb. 17 - Texas Motor Speedway Duathlon (2m run - 15m bike - 2m run)
March 2 - 10m MTB race - Bar H Bash
Mar. 16 - Fast & Furious Duathlon - (5K run - 20Km bike - 2.5 km run)
Apr. 6 - Double Play Duathlon - (2m run - 11m bike - 2m run - 11m bike)
* A * Apr. 20 - Striders Duathlon - (8km run - 74km bike - 8km run)
May 15 - 12hr MTB race in El Paso, TX.

This second half of the calendar, again, some of the events I see them as preparation only, I have 2 main goals on this second part of the year.

Jun 13 - The Dam Bike Time Trial - 8 miles
* C * Jul 6 - Pioneer Power Sprint Tri (300m S- 20KM B - 3.3m r) - GOAL - Finish in good form
Aug. 23 - Hotter n' Hell 100 Mile ride *FUN RIDE*
* B * Oct. 13 - Chupacabras 100KM MTB Race - GOAL - place in the first 400 (this race has more than 2000 competitors)
Nov. 9 - High Octane Duathlon - (2m run - 15m bike - 2m run)
* A * Dec. 9 - Dallas White Rock Marathon - GOAL - Finish the marathon.

I believe that my goals are very doable, but I also know that I need to have a very strong discipline to stick with training and eating habits.

Please let me know what you think about my goals, Can this be a good base to start thinking in doing an Iron-man by the end of 2009 or mid of 2010? What recommendations would you give at this point? What programs would you recommend to start a good swimming and running base?

By the way, I live in Dallas, Texas.

Thanks !!!!

Mike C.

Edited by MilkeC 2008-01-03 3:17 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  

of 14