Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-17 9:50 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-12-17 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1105912

Runner
Subject: RE: Question on Running Cadence

A) Stride length will give a better increase than cadence.
B) The best answer is to run more.
C) The second best answer is this: Hill Training

Hill training will work stride length or cadence, depending on what you're doing.  This is one of the best ways to improve.  I presonally disagree with using a metronome for the simple fact that you don't know what to set it at, and it creates an artificial cadence that may not be efficient for you. 

2007-12-17 10:11 AM

Salt Lake City

I'm no expert - or even a good enough runner to deserve an opinion, but...

First - do you need a higher turnover? The statistic about 199% of elite runners have a turnover rate of blah, blah, blah is only useful if you find yourself in that group of elite runners. IMO

Second - try music. If you grab a podcast like, let's say Podrunner, with a faster tempo that may help. Works for me.

2007-12-17 10:15 AM

Master

SweetK - 2007-12-17 9:50 AM How do you increase it? I know it seems rather simple, just turn over your legs faster and you will have higher cadence, but when I do so, my stride feels choppy because I have to shorten my stride length in order to do it. I'm not a fast runner by any means and I want to go faster... what are some of your tips? Right now, my average cadence is 80 (on one side) as measured by my new Garmin Footpod. Any advice is greatly appreciated - Happy Holidays!

I'm no expert, but increased cadence comes with increased speed.  So just run faster.  LOL

Really, I would just add some strides (short periods of faster running) into your current runs.  About 20 seconds each.  The other thing you could do is cadence drills on your bike (like spin-ups).  Increase cadence on the bike should lead to increase cadence on the run.

Otherwise, you are already following a structured training plan.  Let the speed come to you.

2007-12-17 10:21 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Quick turnover, land with your feet under your center of gravity (not out in front), don't "bounce" up and down, keep "light" feet (don't "pound" or "plod",...

Those are some cues I think help.  Doing strides can also help with emphasizing good form which should help lead to a good cadence for you.  The 'good form' part is probably more important than the actual cadence itself (though working on getting a quicker cadence can often help with some form issues).  90 is often thrown out as a "target" cadence, but people will differ.  But if you are below that level (as you are), it's probably worth working on making sure you are not wasting energy in your stride (braking, bouncing, etc.) that may be leading to a lower than optimal cadence for you.  Don't "chop" your stride just for the sake of getting a higher turnover, but a higher turnover with a shorter stride may end up being more efficient in the long run for you too.

If you do want to use cadence as the focus, you can either run with a metronome or just count strides.

2007-12-17 10:41 AM
in reply to: #1105960

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
JohnnyKay - 2007-12-17 8:21 AM

Quick turnover, land with your feet under your center of gravity (not out in front), don't "bounce" up and down, keep "light" feet (don't "pound" or "plod"),...

Those are some cues I think help. Doing strides can also help with emphasizing good form which should help lead to a good cadence for you. The 'good form' part is probably more important than the actual cadence itself (though working on getting a quicker cadence can often help with some form issues). 90 is often thrown out as a "target" cadence, but people will differ. But if you are below that level (as you are), it's probably worth working on making sure you are not wasting energy in your stride (braking, bouncing, etc.) that may be leading to a lower than optimal cadence for you. Don't "chop" your stride just for the sake of getting a higher turnover, but a higher turnover with a shorter stride may end up being more efficient in the long run for you too.

If you do want to use cadence as the focus, you can either run with a metronome or just count strides.

Good advice here. Also, try and land with more of a mid-foot to forefoot strike as opposed to a heel strike. Landing with your feet under your COG will help this as well.

Also, 90 is a general target. Taller runners can go a bit lower while shorter runners can go faster.

2007-12-17 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1105960

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
JohnnyKay - 2007-12-17 11:21 AM

Quick turnover, land with your feet under your center of gravity (not out in front), don't "bounce" up and down, keep "light" feet (don't "pound" or "plod"),...

He's right on the money. FWIW, I've concentrated a lot on cadence and the aforementioned keys since last year's knee surgery. Positive results for me -- I've got a more efficient running style with less impact that holds up better when I start tiring.

Just count steps for a minute every once in a while -- soon you'll have a good feel for your cadence.

Edited by kenail 2007-12-17 2:43 PM
2007-12-17 3:09 PM

Master
Running trails in S. Ontario
This is something I have been consciously working on as well.  I agree with the others, make sure you are running on the mid to forefoot.  Make a conscious effort to do this and you should naturally have a higher turnover than running on your heels.
2007-12-17 3:15 PM
in reply to: #1106528

Not a Coach
Media, PA

pinktrigal - 2007-12-17 3:09 PM This is something I have been consciously working on as well.  I agree with the others, make sure you are running on the mid to forefoot.  Make a conscious effort to do this and you should naturally have a higher turnover than running on your heels.

Just to be clear, I don't think you NEED to run on your mid- or forefoot.  However, it can help to think about landing more mid-to-fore as that will tend to force you to land under your center of gravity.  If you reach out in front of this center, you'll likely land heel first and waste energy by "braking" yourself with each stride.

But you can land heel-first while still landing under your center.  There are many elite runners who do so.

2007-12-17 3:15 PM

Runner

OK, foot strike has little to do with improving your cadence.  In fact, it should be the opposite: a higher cadence will shift your footstrike further up to your toes.  But that's a separate discussion.

To improve cadence, you need to improve turnover.  Hills are still going to be one of the best ways to do this naturally.  You don't need a metronome, or anything else, just some nice, gentle downhills.

2007-12-17 3:22 PM

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Practice spin-ups and longer pushes at higher cadences on the bike too. It seemed to help me increase my running cadence when I worked on both bike and run turnover at the same time. I usually spot check my run turnover rate by counting the foot strikes on one side for 20 seconds. I don't have to stare at the watch the whole time either, just look back again as my count nears 30.

2007-12-17 3:29 PM
in reply to: #1106537

Master
Scout7 - 2007-12-17 4:15 PM

OK, foot strike has little to do with improving your cadence.  In fact, it should be the opposite: a higher cadence will shift your footstrike further up to your toes.  But that's a separate discussion.

To improve cadence, you need to improve turnover.  Hills are still going to be one of the best ways to do this naturally.  You don't need a metronome, or anything else, just some nice, gentle downhills.

Can you explain this a little more?  ie how do you increase leg turnover without modifying footstrike? 

2007-12-17 3:33 PM
in reply to: #1106564

Runner
pinktrigal - 2007-12-17 4:29 PM

Can you explain this a little more? ie how do you increase leg turnover without modifying footstrike?

Here.

Running a gentle downhill, focusing on a quick turnover.  Footstrike doesn't play into it at all; in other words, you do not, and should not, focus on consciously changing where your foot strikes the ground.  JK is right; over-extending the leg is the problem, not landing on your heel. 

2007-12-17 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1106573

Master
Scout7 - 2007-12-17 4:33 PM
pinktrigal - 2007-12-17 4:29 PM

Can you explain this a little more? ie how do you increase leg turnover without modifying footstrike?

Here.

Running a gentle downhill, focusing on a quick turnover.  Footstrike doesn't play into it at all; in other words, you do not, and should not, focus on consciously changing where your foot strikes the ground.  JK is right; over-extending the leg is the problem, not landing on your heel. 

Interesting article.  I still think footstrike factors into the equation mechanically.  You can't isolate the feet from the legs, it's all connected.

2007-12-17 3:55 PM
in reply to: #1106603

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
pinktrigal - 2007-12-17 5:50 PM

Interesting article.  I still think footstrike factors into the equation mechanically.  You can't isolate the feet from the legs, it's all connected.

There is very little research to indicate that changing footstrike is beneficial, in fact it may actually lead to more injuries. Also, as long as your foot is hitting under your centre of gravity, it doesn't really matter what hits the ground first as the whole foot is still going to contact the ground (unless you are a sprinter ).

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2007-12-17 3:56 PM
2007-12-17 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1106603

Runner
But cadence isn't driven by foot strike.  There are heel strikers that have higher than 180.  There are forefoot strikers that have less.  So there isn't a direct correlation.  Changing your foot strike won't have any real effect on your cadence.

2007-12-17 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1106612

Master

Scout7 - 2007-12-17 4:56 PM But cadence isn't driven by foot strike.  There are heel strikers that have higher than 180.  There are forefoot strikers that have less.  So there isn't a direct correlation.  Changing your foot strike won't have any real effect on your cadence.

I would agree, most people run heel to ball, very few can run ball to heel.  My point was that as you increase turnover, your strike will be less weight on the heel.  Also, a ball to heel strider can increase both stride rate and length, while a heel to ball strider is limited in stride length, and needs to focus more on cadence.  I agree, you shouldn't change your natural stride to the extent that it causes injury, but I do feel this is something that may change slightly as you become faster.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question on Running Cadence Rss Feed