General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Correlation between weightlifting and reduced injuries Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-17 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Subject: Correlation between weightlifting and reduced injuries
As I begin to ramp up my training I was wondering if there is any evidence of weight lifting reducing injuries. I have always heard that it helps, and it certainly seems that it would be good to do. Seems I've read that it helps slow loss of mucle mass.

I'll be 44 this week, so I would like to prevent injuries as much as possible, especially as I begin to ramp up training. I know about the 10 % rule and try to follow as much as possible.

Searched prior threads and didn't get a whole lot so sorry if this has been posted recently before.

2007-12-17 12:55 PM
in reply to: #1106155

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Correlation between weightlifting and reduced injuries

I'm not sure that you'll find evidence of that.  Its a very subjective subject to try to study.

Even among coaches, its not clear whats best.  A couple of prominent local coaches debate the subject all the time.  One says it doesnt help, another does, especially for those over 40.

It probably comes down to what you think is best for you.  If you have significant strengthh imbalances, then yes, you probably would reduce your injury risk by evening out your strength. 

And yes, people tend to lose muscle as they age.  Weight work helps prevent this.

2007-12-17 12:56 PM
in reply to: #1106155

Champion
South Jersey

tri42 - 2007-12-17 1:10 PM As I begin to ramp up my training I was wondering if there is any evidence of weight lifting reducing injuries. I have always heard that it helps, and it certainly seems that it would be good to do. Seems I've read that it helps slow loss of mucle mass. I'll be 44 this week, so I would like to prevent injuries as much as possible, especially as I begin to ramp up training. I know about the 10 % rule and try to follow as much as possible. Searched prior threads and didn't get a whole lot so sorry if this has been posted recently before.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no independent research that proves weight lifting helps prevent swimming, biking, and/or running injuries.

Weight training to fix muscle imbalances could help as it reduces structural imbalances, which are what lead to injury. But that would be something done under the guidance of a professional who is able to identify structural imbalances and develop a plan to fix them.

But, I am not a professional, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Also, there is a
"Weight Training" forum on this site...you might get a better response there.

As for preventing injuries, make sure you do an adequate warmup/cooldown with your workouts. Stay well-hydrated, and eat properly before and afterwards. Don't increase volume too quickly; forget about speedwork for the time being. Foods that are high in antioxidants and other anti-inflammatory substances are good. Perhaps do an active stretching routine before your runs, and static stretching after or later in the evening. Ice baths after runs and other long/intense workouts are great. If you're a woman, be sure you're getting enough calcium, etc.

Just train smart and you'll be fine . Good luck !

2007-12-17 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1106250

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Thanks for responses so far.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Correlation between weightlifting and reduced injuries Rss Feed