Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-12-18 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1107957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fridley, MN, USA
Subject: RE: Pull Buoy and Paddles Benefit
To be honest, I have ever seen anybody swim faster with a pull bouy than without. The concept of using a pull bouy as a crutch to swim faster... well it irks me! I can almost swim as fast with a pull bouy AND paddles as I can without either, but with just the bouy, it's not even close.
Being on a high school team, we incorporate pull into every warmup and some workouts in the later stages of the season. I'll second that for a more experienced swimmer with an already decent stroke, the pull bouy with paddles can work wonders for your stroke. Within the last week I've been able to improve my swim because of technique changes I made while pulling with my paddles. As for cost and hassle, I have a very good pair of paddles by TYR that cost me $15 (the Catalyst paddle). They fit easily into a bag, but I keep them in a locker.
For putting on and taking off, it's fairly quick and easy for me as I only use two crossed cords over my middle three fingers. Just don't start out with intervaled sets where you have to change in and out alot, and you should be ok!
Another advantage I see to incorporating pull into workouts for a triathlete is the whole kicking approach that so many take. That is, don't kick hard until the end, to save your legs for later. If you have a strong pull, then this would be made easier. I don't want to debate the pros and cons of that strategy, but if you use it, I suppose it could help.

Edited by sharp4850 2007-12-18 7:59 PM

2007-12-18 9:03 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I use paddles for a portion os a set almost every time I'm at the pool for the benefit of body position. My swim coach has me using the pull bouy once in a while--he came up with a crazy single arm drill using the paddle on the stroking arm and a pull bouy so I don't kick.  I hate the drill but it seems to be doing it's purpose so I'll keep at it.  He advised a tech paddle for early vertical forearm that I'm considering. Now kickboards? NEVER, unless I'm working breast stroke kick--why?  Because freestyle is best done on the side to side you don't do it on the belly so I don't want to practice even a kick set in the wrong position.  FIns?  use them at the pool once in a while, looking at some zoomers
2007-12-19 7:55 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
In my long swims, I usually do a few sets with paddles and pull buoys as a way to work on my form.  They do help reinforce a good stroke.  The ones that I have make it quite obvious when your hand is going in the water the wrong way or you aren't pulling as efficiently as you could.  I don't swim with them for an entire workout.  It's a lot of extra stress in your arms and shoulders.
2007-12-19 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1108823

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fridley, MN, USA
zipp1 - 2007-12-18 9:03 PM

Now kickboards? NEVER, unless I'm working breast stroke kick--why?  Because freestyle is best done on the side to side you don't do it on the belly so I don't want to practice even a kick set in the wrong position.  FIns?  use them at the pool once in a while, looking at some zoomers

That's a good point to make. Alot of the kicking that my coach had me do over the summer and fall was specifically no board for that very reason. Instead we would either kick on our backs and rotate from edge to edge every six kicks, or we would kick on our sides.
2007-12-19 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

Swimming with paddles also helps build upper body strength in the same way that riding in higher gears does for your legs.  That being said, overdoing that paddles can lead to shoulder injuries. 

Our Master's coach might include at most 500m of pulling in a 2,500m workout, though often times no pulling at all.   

2007-12-19 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1108653

User image

Expert
Carmel
Hey Mark, I use paddles in warm ups and thats about it. Its funny because I think of myself as a strong swimmer (1:04 IM w/ 1 workout/wk) with a pretty efficient stroke and when I put them on I see where I am falling off. I think they really do help. I have those Finis ones also that were mentioned earlier. As of now, I wont go more than a 200 yd set with them.

I would say to give them a shot, I dont think they will hurt. You are a good swimmer as it is now, and you've been swimming for a long time so I dont think you would have any shoulder issues. But be ready because you will see if you are pulling your stroke out too soon, or not reaching int he water enough. Good tool.

IMHO they are better than fins. Most triathletes hardly kick anyway. We only move our feet to keep our body balanced. Fins will help strengthen the muscles you are hardly going to use during a race anyway, save those legs for the bike and run.

2007-12-19 9:18 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by surfwallace 2007-12-19 9:19 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pull Buoy and Paddles Benefit Rss Feed  

of 2