BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Plazbot's Group. Get Phat, lose fat - Full. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-01-03 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1109096

New user
Subject: RE: Plazbot's Group. Get Phat, lose fat - Full.
Pretty much the theme across everybody is 'build consistency'. I've got a few things to post up on that topic today. Also, if you are looking for some weight loss www.fitday.com is gold. I will run through how I use it as well.

2008-01-03 6:04 PM

New user

Checked out FitDay.com pretty neat. I entered my food for today pretty interesting stuff. There are tons of reports, what did you like best about it?
2008-01-03 6:22 PM
in reply to: #1132125

User image

Hi!
I have used Fitday quit a bit in the past! I love it. I do best when I journal, and that is the best place I have found to journal. That is what I should start doing again. I don't cheat as much when I write it down! Just don't like the way all that junk looks on the Pie chart! I think that will be my goal for the weekend, log back on and journal, even if I eat what I shouldn't!
Here is my weekend goals:
Journal everything I eat!
Ride 30 miles
Run 12 miles

That will give me a good start!
Tanya
2008-01-03 6:51 PM
in reply to: #1132125

New user
what did you like best about it?

It is a real eye opener as to what is in things. When you realise you can have a small amount of something very bad for you or massive amounts of things good for you, energy and health improve dramatically.

It takes a few weeks to get your basic stuff entered with a bit of reading off packaging and web sites but eventually it is very easy. The best part is you can enter your food and training and see how you are going for calorie debt/excess. Sensational weight loss/management tool.
2008-01-04 1:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi,

I have a question. The tri plan I chose (Micheal Pate's starter plan) slowly builds your workouts to finish a sprint. I know I need to build up slowly, but how do you jump start the weight loss process if you're not really doing enough of a "workout" to really burn some calories? I'm tracking my eating and have really cleaned it up a lot, but I don't feel like I'm doing enough to get the weight to start coming off. Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks!!

P.S. It's been 4:45 am for 3 days now and I'm still alive. It's not pretty, but who is supposed to be at that time of the day?
2008-01-04 6:21 PM

New user
I have run a couple of weight loss competitions on line before. My coach put up a tip each week for 10 weeks in the first one for people to follow.

Here are the first 5. You should do each one and add each one the next week until you build a whole profile. One thing to remember is that if you keep doing what you have always done, you will always have what you got. This can be good or bad.

To start the journey - each week we eat 21 meals (average)

It's too much to ask someone who has developed bad eating habits to eat 21 meals totally made up of Dave Scott's diet

Let's set out to eat like Dave Scott (no deep fried stuff, no hi animal fat foods, no cookies) for 18 meals each week.

The other three meals - eat what you like (this will keep you sane)

Sound too simple - it is simple - it's not what you eat on Sundays that makes you fat, it's what you eat every other day that does it

So lesson # 1 - eat like Dave for six days - eat like yourself for one day

This isn't a diet, it's a change of lifestyle. Small steps in the right direction

Step two -- Improve the efficiency of your digestion

To have a healthy fast metabolism we have to have every organ working at optimum efficiency. This depends on the right nutrients being absorbed from our food by the stomach.

Health, and maintaining the optimum body weight starts with digestion.

By this stage we should be having 18 meals each week which don't contain deep fried, ice cream, cookies, chips, high animal fat foods.

None of the foods listed above come to us with the enzymes to help us digest them so we're going to be looking for foods which will help us digest them.

* Don't drink coffee with meals, herbal tea is OK.
* Don't eat dessert or sugary fruits after meals containing protein, it slows down digestion and causes gas.
* Include lightly cooked or raw vegetables as much as 60% of your total diet.
* Eat grilled fish as often as possible with lemon juice.
* Use salad dressings (make your own) with olive oil (or flax seed oil) and apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar. (increases enzymes)
* Drink a glass of wine 15-20min before meals (red is best, one is enough)
* Don't discuss important issues over meals, light conversation only.

Each of these simple steps will help you get more nutrients out of each meal. Lessening the amount of wasted food passing through your system and speeding up the process. This in time will speed the whole metabolism of the body.

Lots of people are fat because food passes through them too slowly, their whole system is sluggish. If your digestion is sluggish, your life is sluggish and your performances will be sluggish.

Enjoy your three meals of choice each week, increase the vege and fish intake in the other eighteen and look forward to a "tuned up" metabolism.

By this stage of the competition we should be into some sort of eating pattern

Three meals per week of what you want to eat.

Now it's time to eat lollies and chocolates and still lose weight

Eighteen meals per week of high vege content meals without deep fried foods, icecream, cookies and soft drinks.

We're taking care to help our digestion efficiency by including foods with the enzymes which help digestion, red wine, cider vinegar and rice vinegar.

With this simple eating plan, athletes can help the kilos melt away with increased activity. (we are all athletes and can burn more calories than our sedentry workmates)

Going long always burns those extra calories.

It doesn't have to be very hard, it doesn't have to cause any more risk to joints ect.

Three times per week, increase the duration of a workout by 30%

This can be done by adding two of your scheduled workouts together eg. bike two hours and run for 40min, all easy. Putting the run right after the bike rather than at another part of the day makes a significant increase to the energy burned. The whole run is fat burning rather than just the last 20min if it's done on it's own as a separate workout.

Another great opportunity for fat burning is right after your long run. eg. If your long run is 1hr 40min, as soon as the run is done, start a long walk of half the time taken in the run. 100min run + 50min walk at a brisk pace (50%HR)
Even a 150min run followed by a 50min run will keep your body burning fat long after the pounding has finished.

When adding extra walking to your long workout, be organised with fuel and water for the extra walk. You will still be burning fat while eating lollies or chocolates, in fact this is the best time to eat them. No guilt needed.

You could call this the happy walk, only eat what you can hold in one handful, stick to the rule "one handfull of treats for each 50min walk at the end of a workout"

Fats are not your enemy. Lots of dieters make the mistake of eliminating almost all fat from their diet.

You need fat to be healthy. You need to be healthy to lose weight and keep it off.

Health is the first consideration, always. Before body weight, before appearance, before fitness.

Drop the deep fried foods first. Get rid of margarine. Drastically reduce the animal fats.

If you don't eat fish 3-5 times per week, and even if you do, take flax seed oil every day. The Australian diet is far too short of omega 3 and omega 6 fats.

We need those fats to make the important hormones involved in weight management and a whole lot of other important functions.

Any frying should be done with a small amount of olive oil, use either olive oil or flax seed oil in salad dressings. Avacado is also an important scource of essential fatty acids. Just don't eat too much of it.

Salad dressing recipe -

Mix together - 1/4 cup flax seed oil, 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1 dsrt spoon of chopped capers, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 teaspoon grainy mustard.

This salad dressing will supply the enzymes which will help digest the meal, the dose of essential oils we need to stay on top of our health and it'll make another boring salad exciting.

You can keep it in the fridge for at least a week, possibly longer. You can make it up on the weekend for those quick meals through the week.

Nobody ever gave up smoking, if they really didn't want to

The people who successfully give up the fags are the ones who are totally committed to the positive outcome.

It's the same with athletes who race the Ironman wanting to break 11hrs, but mainly want to finish. The chances of these athletes finishing are 99%, the chances of them breaking 11hrs are about 20%.

Your mind delivers what you order. Whether its a fit, healthy, lean body or a couple of kilos weight loss.

We're 4 weeks into this competition, if you're not following all the tips to the letter (it's not that hard, I've made it easy for you) and are not losing small amounts regularly. You are not committed.

If you don't have a clear picture of what you want to achieve -- you'll never find the discipline to achieve it.

It's time to turn on the awesome power of your mind.

* Develop a clear picture of how you want to be

* Committ yourself to achieving this goal

* Want it badly enough to find the strength when the doubts or temptation creep in

* Write the goal down, keep a weight loss diary, list the days when you've been good and record the days when you've slipped off course. (writing it down will help keep you in line, nobody wants to write about their weaknesses)

The picture you have of yourself in your mind, is the future for you

Chose the picture you want.

2008-01-04 6:22 PM

New user
What are the details of the sprint program you are following?
2008-01-05 8:35 AM

Toronto
Leave it to me to see the red wine. I was thinking that I would have to not drink any alcohol because of the calories. I never thought that I would be adding it. Thanks for those 5 steps, they are hugely informative, and simple. So, I've dug out my scale, found a pool, have started to jog a bit.

I haven't raced in any way, shape or form since I was in elementary school a lifetime ago. I'm truly not sure of how I should be training in order to be taking an eventual race into consideration. So far what I've done is....

Normally my exercise routine included my bike on a trainer, walking, weights and an irregular dose of pilates thrown in. Before the Christmas insanity, one or more were being done 5 days a week. Now I'm looking at increasing it to 6 days, but am not sure of the duration or intensity levels that I should be looking at.

I've pulled a sprint training routine from womenstriathlon.com, but it seems to be starting with 30 to 40 minutes in total per day. Do I need to slow down what I'm doing? Or am I not doing it intensely enough to feel like I'm doing something. I know that when I get into the pool, I'll feel it.
2008-01-05 1:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow, that was very informative and helpful. Thank you!!

Michale Pate's plan is in the free plans on the site. It was listed in the beginner section and since my first sprint is in June, the timing was perfect because it is exactly that many weeks out. It's a 22 week get you started tri plan. It starts with Week 1 swimming 100 yards 3x, cycling 2 miles 3x, and walking 20-25 minutes 3x. It ends with Week 22 swimming 800 yards 3x, cycling 15-20 miles 3x, and jogging 35-50 minutes 3x. The build up seems pretty slow which I understand to build up endurance, but I don't know about helping witht the weight loss.

I wasn't sure about where to start. I haven't really trained in a year because of baby #2 so I didn't want to jump in without building a base. This is all kind of new again, so I am not sure what kind of beginner plan I should be doing. I just know that running at my current weight would really not be a good idea. Running usually speeds up my weight loss, but how do I get at a weight that won't casue an injury when I run? Should I just cycle and swim more or just walk faster? Should I just focus on the eating and go from there? It seems the more I read the more I get confused. Your help would be appreciated!!!

How did you do it? Your transfomation was amazing.
2008-01-05 8:44 PM
in reply to: #1135969

New user
gilmurray - 2008-01-06 4:52 AM
How did you do it? Your transfomation was amazing.

The answer to this pretty much answer all the questions in the two posts above.

Attitude. Consistency. Planning. Execution.

To put it into practical terms and to answer the training advice question I would tackle training like this. You have to have a core week of sessions. These are the do not miss sessions. They are not hard or long, just they are always there. Get obsessed by them. As an example, every Wednesday and Friday I ride for 2:30, every Tuesday I swim 90 minutes then run 40. Week in, week out, no exceptions. I will do what it takes to make sure these happen (note I am running 2:00 on a Friday at the moment instead). The same with starting out. Set these 4 key sessions every week and never miss them. They make training a no brainer for everything except you weekend key sessions. It is much easier to come up with two sessions every week as opposed to 7 (or 6, don't forget your rest day) When you make a plan, it has to be achievable so you can actually go out and do it. No use in having a massive detailed plan then doing something completely different or worse still, nothing at all.

I log all my training in advance here

http://www.energised.com.au/triathlog/index.asp?iScreenRes=1024

If you are interested, have a look at my training for the last year and you will see that it was basically the same core over and over again. Only thing to note is that I work a 6 day week so the weeks will be a tad confusing at times. Also, if anyone has any specific training questions, fire away and I will help as best I can.

The same goes for nutrition. I know it can be boring, but I tend to eat exactly the same foods often. It is attitude to food that I have changed. I see food as a fuel, not a crutch. I will look at a food and ask myself what benefit is it? As a result, I cut out the little things like cheese on a salad sandwich or sugar in coffee. These all add up. Be consistent and look at food as it is intended, fuel not a pass time or entertainment. Also, having a food reward for a big session is just not needed. The reward is the fitness you just gained and how cut you are making your Abs.

Edited by Plazbot 2008-01-06 2:45 AM
2008-01-07 12:42 PM

New user
Here's a thing to do. How about everybody picks 4 sessions they will do each week as a consistent base line and holds them for 28 days. Same session, same day for 4 weeks no missing them. What are yours going to be? Start Monday. List them here.

2008-01-08 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Here I go. I WILL increase the length of time as I go, but these are the workouts I WILL NOT MISS. I've combined some beginner plans and your advice. I plan to make the other workouts walking of some sort. I wan to to start running next month.

Monday - Lift and then Ride 30-35 minutes
Tuesday - Lift and then Swim 30 minutes
Thursday - Lift and then Swim 30 minutes
Friday - Lift and the Ride 60-75 minutes

2008-01-08 3:52 PM

User image

I have found that I have sort of developed into this type of pattern without realizing it! Sometimes I change the lenght of the session, depending on what I am currently training for, but the consistancy is there. I added the Tues. I have 3 days that rarely change! My work days vary because things happen!

Tues -Run 1 hour
Fri- Strength training 1 hour, swim 1 hour
Sat bike 2 hours
Sun- Long run

Tanya
2008-01-08 5:49 PM

Toronto
Alright, I'm in. Friday is my hard day to be consistant, so I won't have anything in that one.

Tuesday run 1 hour - 30 minutes weights
Wednesday bike 1 hour
Thursday swim 1 hour
Saturday run 1 hour - 30 minutes weights
2008-01-08 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Monday- 3mile run, 20 weigt
Wednesday- 1hr bike and a 30 min run
Friday--1hr bike, 20 minute weights
Saturday-Long run.

I haven't added my swimming in there plus a few more runs. I will stick to the above schedule for 4 weeks starting Monday.

Edited by newadventures 2008-01-08 7:37 PM
2008-01-08 7:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
I agree. When I am consistent about my workouts, the weight practically falls off(provided I am not using cheesecake as my recovery meal). I like to log my foods and make it a challege to just get in as much nutrition as possible. When I eat, I just ask myself, "Is this the best nutritional choice I could make right now? How could I make it better?" I don't focus on calories. If I focus on nutrition packing, I am always full, have the energy I need, and the weight comes off.

Monday: 45 min fartlek run, 45 min weights
Tuesday: 60 min Spinnerval ride
Wednesday: 45 min hill run, 45 min weights
Thursday: 60-90 min swim
Friday: 60-90 min easy run, 45 min weights
Saturday: 60 min spin class, 60 min swim

2008-01-09 9:16 PM

Athens
Alrighty,

Let's see... I've already got the M/W/Sat Aggressive Couch to 5k plan going so (Second full week!!!), just need to add a fouth day.

M: 5k training (walk/run, run/walk 45 min)
W: 5k training (walk/run, run/walk 45 min)
Th: Weight training
Sat: 5k training (walk/run, run/walk 45)
2008-01-09 9:46 PM

New user
Good stuff. Now everybody make sure you log these sessions in the Training Log area of this site. Also, make sure you allow others to see it so we can check in and keep each other going!! Off to a good start.
2008-01-10 11:13 PM

New user
Now, to go along with the consistent training plan, I have a nutrition strategy for you. Over the weekend, write down every single thing you eat on a piece of paper. Don't show it to anyone, it is just for you. I will tell you what this is for on Monday. Everything must be written down. I will not ask what is on it either. Be as honest and thorough as possible but eat what you would normally eat. This is a good thing.

Edited by Plazbot 2008-01-10 11:55 PM
2008-01-11 10:15 PM

User image

Not so sure about writing everything down this weekend! I am out of town so it won't be as good as at home!

What do you do for a sick week? I have a cold, and when I run I either start coughing terribly or my chest gets all tight and gives me trouble breathing. This is a real bad week for this because I am running a marathon on Sun. Started last Sat. I woke up fine, then had to ride on the trainer because of weather, I got 1 and 1/2 hours into it and had to quit. Sun was suppose to be 12 miles, but only made it 4. Trying to balance my training with getting healthy to complete the marathon. Mon and tues I rested, then tried to run on Wed. Did 3 miles fine, but felt horrible when I quit. Haven't ran since. I amhoping to be able to run on Sun!

Tanya
2008-01-11 11:30 PM

New user
I suggest absolutely no training. You are getting no fitter now. Feet up and get some(lots of) garlic and Vitamin C into you. You will probably find you have a good race if fully rested and recovered. If you are still sick, don't race. Seriously. The reason I put on all that weight in the first place was because I ran a Marathon with day 2 of a virus and it put me out for 12 months. First 6, I could not do any physical activity at all. My heart rate would run away and my resting rate was a good 15 BPM higher for that 6 months and longer.

With regard to writing it all down, do it still as it dosen't really matter for the intent of what I am doing. It is not a competition, it is just something for yourself. You will see, I wont say why as it may change what you do.

2008-01-14 12:21 AM
in reply to: #1149539

New user
Now, with the list that you wrote, read through it and pick the 4 things that you think were probably the worst thing for you. For the rest of the period of the consistent training weeks, do not eat those 4 things. Simple.

Also, pretend that one night each week Mark Allen of Dave Scott is coming over for dinner. What would you serve to these guys for dinner? Have a think about it and make that meal and have it once per week over the same period.
2008-01-14 12:21 AM
in reply to: #1149539

New user
**crazy double post***

Edited by Plazbot 2008-01-14 12:21 AM
2008-01-16 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Hey Alex,

Can we get your insights on training with a heart rate monitor? Do you use one? What is the best way to calculate heart rate if you don't have one? I have just been going by the old 220-age and it seems really off. Using that number seems to make me feel like I a have to work out really slow to stay within the prescribed training rates. I know that working out with one is better and I have used one before, but with all the new technology, what are the basic features I should be looking for in buying one?

Thanks.
2008-01-16 8:53 AM

New user
I am a huge fan of heart rate training and especially racing. I have done extensive testing to work out my own thresholds but found that they very much align with the Karvonen (google it) method. Pretty much, you need to find your max heart rate and your resting rate and the table does the rest. As an example, here are mine

Zone 1 (60-65%) 140 - 147 Recovery, warming up and down
Zone 2 (65-75%) 147 - 163 Long steady endurance and aerobic rides
Zone 3 (75-82%) 163 - 173 Aerobic power development, long intervals and tempo rides
Zone 4 (82-89%) 173 - 184 Lactate threshold training, medium intervals or races
Zone 5 (89-94%) 184 - 192 Above threshold and short races
Zone 6 (>94%) Over 192 Sprint and power work

I do the vast amount of my training in Zone 2. I find that a heart rate of 155 is a very sustainable long distance pace. When I race, I hold 155 on the bike and 160 on the run (Ironman) and turn those up 10 BPM for half ironman.

Depending on what sort of racing you are doing will depend on what heart rates you will race at. training, it will be the same but you will spend different amounts of time in each.

As far as actual heart rate monitors, I have had many. The one I use the most is the Polar F1. It is the absolute bottom of the line and shows heart rate, nothing else. No gimicks. No charts. Really, the perfect monitor is one that shows HR, a stopwatch, max and average HR display. Anything else is just dressing and has no bearing on your training or racing. On my race bike, I do not have a speed computer and use only the monitor. I am going to get a Polar CS100 and put it on as I want the cadence but will not connect the speed magnet to the wheel as that confuses things in my strategy. Also means i can use the 1 strap and jump off with the F1 on my wrist and run.

To calculate you rates, you have to do a max HR test. These hurt. The way I calculated mine was to run up a very very long hill after running for an hour. I pushed as hard as I could and then pushed some more. Max is a very hard HR to hit and everybody is different. Mine is somewhere around 201-203 but I train with guys who have theirs in the 180s. 220 minus age is NOT an accurate measure. It is very conservative. I read that the study that came up with that had all of 10 people in the test group and after getting the data, they were not happy that they had an accurate scale. What 220-age will do is give you a nice low base heart rate for long slow training which is good but you will not have an accurate top of Zone 2 which I think is the key heart rate of them all.

Note, I don't see the use in HR monitor use in racing anything shorter than Olympic distance and even Oly distance, HR is of minimal use. For training for these events though, by all means use one.

Edited by Plazbot 2008-01-16 8:57 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Plazbot's Group. Get Phat, lose fat - Full. Rss Feed  

of 4