BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Plazbot's Group. Get Phat, lose fat - Full. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-01-18 3:37 AM
in reply to: #1109096

New user
Subject: RE: Plazbot's Group. Get Phat, lose fat - Full.
Hey gang. Who has managed to stick with the plan so far?

Anyone got any specific things they want to discuss?

2008-01-18 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
Sticking to it pretty well. The only ones that I am struggling with are the bike workouts as the weather here is way to nasty for being out on the road. I struggle mentally with trainer workouts. Anybody have any recommendations for a favorite Spinnerval dvd? I am starting to get really bored of the one I have. Ugh! Spring. Spring. Spring. Maybe if we all think it hard enough together, it will come?

Also, have you ever trained with an RPE scale instead of heart rate monitor? I used to have a HRM, but it broke a couple of years ago and I haven't replaced it yet. I have been using RPE. Any thoughts?
2008-01-18 10:16 PM

Toronto
I'm doing pretty good at sticking with the plan. The Saturday run seems to flip between Friday and Saturday depending on stuff that's happening, but other than that it's been pretty good.

I don't know if I'm doing the run right. Running is something that I've never done. Literally, never done. Right now, I'm spending more time on the running than I am on anything else. I'm starting slow, and plan work my way up in speed. I'm not sure if I should be doing it that way though, or pushing myself harder on the speed.
2008-01-19 12:35 AM
in reply to: #1165157

New user
Start slow. With your fitness, speed will come. I have pretty much always used a Heart Rate monitor since I started getting a little more serious in 2005. I have a bench mark run that I do. It is 18km from work to home. I always do it holding 155 BPM which is around 65% of Max and right in the middle on Zone 2. The first time I did it in March 2005, it took 2:10. I ran it this week in 1:26 at exactly the same average heart rate. I went from 7+ mins/km to ~ 4:45 min/km by holding the same effort. This is pretty much the crux of the matter when it comes to endurance. It takes time. There are however huge gains to me made by running properly with good technique. It is probably worth while researching or even getting some advice from someone who can look at you.

The key parts are foot strike directly below you, overstriding is bad and will hurt you in the long term. High cadence, 80-90 same foot strides a minute. Knees always leading, let your lower leg feel like it is being driven forward by your knee. Even foot pressure. Push the ground away behind you. Run tall, loose shoulders and arms.

With respect to RPE training, it is exactly the same thing as HR training as long as you can accurately gauge where you are supposed to be. I myself don't use it as it is not quite accurate enough for my long term development. I know people who claim they can tell me their heart rate with 1 or 2 BPM based on RPE. Maybe they can. I am not too sure of that however.
2008-01-22 11:03 PM

New user
If you find it hard some days, have a read of this from my coach......

Many of the workouts at this time of the preparation are designed to be 70% for the mind and 30% for the body. If you can find a good reason to not complete one, you’ll very likely find a reason on race day, to take your foot off the accelerator.

Every Sunday morning when the alarm goes off. Don’t get up to improve your cycling or your running. Any fool can do that.

Get up to go out and build the inner athlete, an athlete with a mental strength so tough, so resilient, that nothing can stand in his/her way of getting what they want.
2008-01-22 11:05 PM

New user
porcelina23, how's that 5k program coming along? That is such a well organized piece.

2008-01-23 3:27 PM

User image

So far I have not really stuck with the plan, but will starting this week. For me, everything changed a bit around the marathon, but now my training should be consistant through April! Still have sore knees from the run, but hopefully that will go away soon. Don't really feel it while running, so its not slowing my training down.

Occasionally I have trained with a HRM but I have never thought the ranges I have found were good for me. I have found where I am comfortable for long periods, but it is able all the tables I see. Maybe I need to find my max HR, but thats seems difficult to do!

Tanya
2008-01-25 8:37 PM

Toronto
I like that quote from your coach! I know there are days when I need that. Thanks
2008-01-29 12:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Like this morning. It totally helps to think of it that way.
What about the other 5 eating tips? The first 5 were great.
2008-01-29 8:17 PM

New user
OK, the other 5 are a bit less specific than that. They include the CRASH week.

Are you eating enough in the morning to actually lose weight?

Most people with excess weight problems are not eating enough breakfast and are eating too much dinner.

You have to have enough fuel coming in to enable you to train effectively and as a consequence, lose weight. It's better for your health to TRAIN IT OFF RATHER THAN DIET IT OFF, AND YOU'LL PROBABLY GO FASTER AS A RESULT

If you start the day with exercise, and most of us do, I have to assume the participants on a Tri Chat Site weight loss program are actually triathletes.

You should start feeding early.

My feeding plan may not be perfect, but it is working for me and a similar plan works for most of my athletes. I am able to put on a few KGs over winter then burn them off when I want them off.

My following routine may help someone look at their own in a different light.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wed 4-10-06 -
wake 4.30am -
2 raw eggs beaten up with cup of apple juice - bike 2hrs - run 20min - 1 can solo - 4 weetbix with 4 scoops Opti - 1 handfull almonds - 1tspn collustrom

Work, light manual - lunch 2 egg and lettuce sandwiches

mid afternoon - nut delight bar

Dinner - 1 glass red wine - 1 handful pistachios - salad and spagetti bolognese

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thurs 5-10-06
Wake 4.30 am
4 weetbix - 4 scoops Opti - collustrom - 1 handful almonds
5.30am - 7am coaching - swim 3000m - 1 bottle softdrink - Soy milk smoothie - 4 scoops Opti, 1 handfull almonds, flax seed oil, collustrom -

light manual work - late lunch - salad roll - macadamia bar

Dinner - 1 glass red wine - pistachios - quiche and salad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope by showing what I, at 72/73kg and 58yrs eats in a day, and the order I eat it. I may help others structure their eating plan.

For those athletes sticking to the plan, being strict with themselves.

It's time to give your body a shock.

Most training programs need a slight change in direction every 6-7 weeks to keep the body responding. I never keep track sessions going longer than 6 weeks before we change to something else for a couple of weeks. Often we alternate between a block of hill work followed by a block of trackwork.

In the body fat burning game we need to do something similar.

For the next seven days, really get strict.

* No diary foods
* No wheat products
* No animal protein
* No alcohol
* No coffee
* No deep fried foods

This is the seven day detox/ shock diet.

IT IS ONLY SEVEN DAYS, YOU'LL HANDLE IT

Most of you are training for an Ironman at some time in the future. This seven day plan will be much easier to get through than your Ironman run.

For seven days live on salads, steamed veges, grilled and steamed fish, rice, beans and lentils. Drink lots of water and replace coffee with vegetable juices.

You'll lose more fat and you'll be jumping out of your skin at the end of the week.

When we try to change our swimming technique or running technique, holding the new pattern for seven weeks is long enough for the new move to become a habit. Then we don't have to control things, they just happen that way.

The same thing happens when you buy groceries, if you've been leaving certain things out of your shopping trolley for seven weeks don't break the habit by ever letting them back into your cupboard.

If you don't have it in the cupboard, you won't eat it.

If you really crave something, you probably need it. Make sure you identify the difference between craving and desire.

Don't deny yourself what you crave, this life is meant to be enjoyed. Have a small portion of what you crave. It takes very little to satisfy a craving. If it's chocolate, allow yourself one square after a workout. If it's pizza, have one slice and a huge plate of salad. If it's potatoe chips, buy the smallest packet and share it with someone.

The basic message this week is

* Eat lots of different foods, but small portions of each.
* Leave something on your plate. It's no more wasteful to leave it on the plate than to eat it and try to burn it off.
* If you crave something, have a small serve of it.
* If you don't buy it, you won't eat it.

Don't ever take your eyes off your goal, never doubt yourself, you're worth the effort. Inside that body of yours is the body you want, let's peel off the layers one by one to reveal it.

It's time for the drugs

It is a proven fact that caffeine help your body to burn fat

Not frothy full cream capucinos, long blacks are best.

Not that instant crap. I mean real coffee, freshly ground

Don't take your coffee with important meals, it makes digestion less efficient.

L-Carnitine is an amino acid which assists your body to burn fat. It will help endurance performance and help to lean athlete down to race weight. Get it at most health food stores. GNC nutrition has a good one and Balance liquid L-Carnitine is a good one and can be added to drink bottles.

If you've followed the simple plan and lost weight, congratulations

You've done it long enough for it to be a habit, keep the healthy eating habit going and enjoy the benefits

If you haven't stuck to the plan and haven't lost weight. Look at your goals, they're are not strong enough.

A common thread with many posts on this site is, people giving excuses for not being able to do, what they say they want to do

If you want something bad enough you'll find a way, if you don't want it bad enough you'll find an excuse

Don't just give up, find a reason to get fit and lose weight

2008-02-04 5:48 PM

New user
Who has the next race coming up? Mine is forst week in April. Anyone before that?

2008-02-04 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
I think I'll be doing the IceBreaker in March, if the snow melts first. We have over 2 feet right now.
2008-02-06 4:21 AM

New user
Ok then everybody. Next little piece of the puzzle. Think to yourself 'What is my worst leg of triathlon'. Whatever the answer was, add 1 session each week to your basic week of that sport.
2008-02-07 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Okay great idea, but what if the answer is all three?
2008-02-07 2:06 PM

New user
Your week just got busy
2008-02-09 6:17 PM

User image

Hi!
My worst is the bike! I am not sure about adding an extra day but I will try. My shedule makes it tough when daylight hours are shorter, so maybe I can get on the trainer. Just had my first ride off the trainer since December! Felt good. So glad the weather is finally clearing up, I just hope it stays that way.

I have a 1/2 marthon March 15, a century ride April 4th and an Olympic Tri April 12.

Have a great day
Tanya

2008-02-09 10:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
I am soooo jealous! I want to ride outside. Unfortunately we still have 2 feet of snow on the ground and more on the way!

I am becoming quite a creative self spin instructor. Though my daughter told me the other day that she must be a better biker than I am because she actually goes somewhere when she rides.
2008-02-12 7:19 AM

Toronto
Mine's the run. I need to do so much work on the run!
2008-02-19 3:44 PM

New user
How is evberybody's progression? Anyone managed to stick with the eating plan? Seeing results from either?
2008-02-20 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Yes, some progress. Trying to stick to eating clean except for 2-3 meals a week. I've lost 7 pounds. It seems really slow, though. The entire family has been sick so I am trying to get back in the gym more consistently. Keeping the four main workouts as a plan is starting to kick in. Feeling very sleep deprived, but I am beginning to get used to 5:00 am workouts.
2008-02-20 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
I had a "dip" in focus a week or so ago, but am recovering from it nicely. I'm only down 2lbs, but my bodyfat has dipped more than that so I know that I am building strength. I am focusing on my running and have not missed a scheduled run in over a month. Yeah! I do one fartlek, one hill session and one long run a week. I am finally seeing the results. I took over 30 seconds off of my average pace on my long run on Saturday. Way cool!

2008-02-21 11:21 AM

Toronto
I'm having a harder time keeping my log updated than I am keeping up with the training. Last week was a bit of a loss as far as training went though. Completely back on track this week.

I broke down and weighed myself today. I seem to have lost 5 lbs.
2008-02-21 5:49 PM

New user
Hey gang. Not related directly to training but thought I would share. The latest edition of Australian Triathlete Magazine has a 3 page spread on... well.... me. How cool is that. I will see if I can dig up an electronic version of it. I haven't read it yet but a friend who is part of a group sent me a message last night when the print run finished.
2008-02-23 3:29 PM

User image

Veteran
That's exciting. Congratulations!! You have to get us a copy!!!
2008-02-24 7:11 AM

Toronto
That's great!! I hope that you can find the article electronically, as I'd love to read it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Plazbot's Group. Get Phat, lose fat - Full. Rss Feed  

of 4