BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Plazbot's Group. Get Phat, lose fat - Full. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-02-24 5:28 PM
in reply to: #1109096

New user
Subject: RE: Plazbot's Group. Get Phat, lose fat - Full.
Here it is!!

http://www.filesupload.com/showlink.php?files=mag.pdf&dir=&user=Pla...

Just click free member and you don't actually have to join. The download starts after 30 seconds.

Edited by Plazbot 2008-02-24 5:39 PM

2008-02-25 11:18 AM

Toronto
The article was great! That must have been so cool.
2008-02-25 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Very cool. The article was really great. Does that mean you'll be signing autographs soon?

It sounds like you have a really good relationship with your coach and that he has been quite instrumental to your success. Any words of advice on picking one? There are none near me. The closest city is about an hour away and I'm curious about all the on-line training sites I've seen recently.

On another note. I noticed in your coach's last ten tips that he mentioned using a fat burner. Do you use one? Are they really effective? I seem to see ads everywhere lately, but don't know how my body would respond. I don't really do caffeine so I'm afraid of walking around like a zombie. But, the thought of getting some help with the weight loss does sound tempting.
2008-02-25 6:56 PM
in reply to: #1234331

New user
Any words of advice on picking one?

This is a tough one. I chose Allan after reading much of what he had to say on the Internet then had a meeting with him after a race one day to talk face to face. I then went and did 3 sessions with him before I locked him in. I probably 'checked him out' for 6 months before taking the plunge. This is not practical for most people especially like yourself where there are none around. Interestingly, he does internet coaching as well. He just coached one girl to her first Hawaii this coming year by internet/email who lives a very long way from us. He also coaches Pete Jacobs (who came second in Roth last year behind macca) as well as a few in their late 60s/early 70s.

Here is his site

http://www.aptriathlon.com/

Not trying to recruit anyone of course but just so you guys can see how some coach's minds work. Forget the forum section, that is just for the local members to take swipes at each other with tongue in cheek.

Anyway, my advice is to look at the results they get from people like yourself. Ask them out right for a few examples of people they have worked with. Remember, a coach is essentially like purchasing a new bike or a wheel set. You have to get the right one and be happy with it. I also like the idea of a coach that has achieved themselves in the sport. I know there are many excellent coaches that do not do any sport but me personally, I am more confortable with the knowledge that athlete specific issues are addressed from been there done that type perspectives. I just got back from my morning swim/run session and we talked for about an hour about competitors and what goes through your mind goes through theirs as well plus a bunch of 'war' stories from various Hawaii finishes he has had.

On another note. I noticed in your coach's last ten tips that he mentioned using a fat burner. Do you use one?

Fat burners are a bit of a myth. The ones that tend to do something are either appetite suppressants or very high in stimulants like caffeine and Taurine. Being totally blunt, the best fat burner you will ever get is a 2 hour bike ride at 60% heart rate where you go on only water and eat nothing for 90 minutes before or after. The Fat Burner type pills do not have an ingredient that is absorbed and breaks down fat deposits. Supplements like Carnitine often are claimed to be a fat burner which technically they are. What they actually do is to allow the fat in you blood be turned more easily into energy.

In ultra distance racing like Ironman, the body gets some fuel from fat. You can only absorb about 280 calories an hour as the liver can only deliver 4 and a half or so a minute to the body. A 180-190 pound person will be doing about 500 calories an hour of work* in a race situation. You are now in about a 200 calorie deficit so this has to come from somewhere and fat is the answer which thankfully is very high in calories and Carnitine will allow you to speed up the process. For the record, I load on Carnitine for 4 days before a race and put 5ml in each bottle on the bike.

* When I say work, it is just that, the actually energy required to do it. When you look at your heart rate monitor if it has a calorie counter, it will display nearly exactly double this figure. this is because when diet related calories are shown, you actually need in ingest double the calories that you put out in work to be even after digestion etc takes place. This is why cucumber for example is a food that has a negative calorie effect on your body as it takes more to process than it contains. I hope I haven't confused anyone by this but it has to be said to make the fueling point above. Diet wise, forget I even talked about this, it is a whole different reason why calories are talked about differently.
2008-02-27 11:26 PM

New user
Well blow me down.

I know this is just turning into a brag thread but I just scored some sponsors.

Elagen Supplements. Recovery based stuff.

and

Ikaika Bikes. Carbon blingtastic with USE KCNC components.

Get

Out

Of

Town

2008-03-06 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Congrats!! Does tht mean you're going to spread the wealth? Ha-Ha.

2008-03-25 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Hellooooo....anyone out there? Any sugggestions on swim workouts. I'm totally a beginner. I'm currently doing the beginner plan and up to 1100 yards. I'm trying to just swim and get comfortable in the water, but I just can't get the breathing right. I always seem to get lightheaded from trying to breathe bilaterally. Any guidance would be appreciated.
2008-03-27 4:58 PM

User image

Hello!
Been awhile since I checked in because I just can't seem to get it together. I am following my exercise plan but can't seem to stop eating the junk. Looks like I will be running my IM at this weight! YIKES!! So I have just stopped posting instead of admitting my struggles. No more! Time to start focus on diet too!
I have signed up for a 1/2 IM April 19. This will be my next big event. I am a little nervous since I haven't done this distance before, but it will be great to get in before the IM!
Tanya
2008-03-28 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Hey - We're supposed to help each other out. I really like hearing about what everyone is doing. I am just on sprints so its great to know what lies ahead. You'll do great!!! Let us know how it goes.
2008-03-28 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
I ran my IM last year at a slightly heavier than desired weight as well. It was just fine. It's funny. Now that I have stopped all that heavy training for my big race, the weight is finally starting to come off.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Plazbot's Group. Get Phat, lose fat - Full. Rss Feed  

of 4