General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim fins for training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-06 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: Swim fins for training?
Even though I've been a swimmer off/on for sometime, I have been "self taught". There are a number of people who use fins for their kick drills. Anyone have any thoughts on fins? Do they provide any more benefit than just using a kickboard and my size 14's (no comments on my built in fins :-) ).

Edited by umbach 2004-02-06 9:23 AM

2004-02-06 11:20 AM
in reply to: #6187

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Swim fins for training?
I love the use of swim fins.
My #1 recommendation would be Hydrofinz.
#2 would be Zoomers.
These shorter-type fins force you to kick the right way. They provide excellent ankle flexibility as well. Hydrofins provide a better strength workout for your legs as well.
Fins are great for beginners. Use them while practicing drills (I recommend TI drills), so that you can properly execute the drills without worrying about your kick. If you have NO kick, or you go backwards kicking on your back, you should use them all the time for a while. Then, eventually you should decrease your use and only use them on certain kicking sets.
As far as boards go, I see no purpose in using them. They give you artificial floatation, and for freestyle, they force you to kick the wrong way (on your stomach, as opposed to on your sides as you should be).

Good luck!
Kevin
www.triswimcoach.com
2004-02-06 11:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fins can help your swim training in numerous ways. Fins can increase your leg strength and also ankle flexibility. They also help you swim higher in the water with less effort, helping to maintain a more efficient stroke. We also use fins to keep the heart rate up during the main set, while giving the arms a rest. Training with fins also helps if you have a weaker kick. I would recommend adding fins to your swim training.
2004-02-06 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Great!Thanks for the tips and advice.
2004-02-06 12:44 PM

Veteran
Northern IL
I would recommend swim fins. I use them for my kicking sets and I can feel it. The one time I used them my Quads tightened up so bad I couldn't walk for the evening. This was my fault for pushing myself too hard while wearing the fins. But definitely use them to help with your leg strength.

Mike
2004-02-14 10:42 AM

I had this question when I first read this thread, but neglected to ask it.

What are hydrofinz as opposed to zoomers? I have regular swim fins that I am about to replace, and would like to know my options. And of course, once again, this site is the place to get the answers;-<b></b>);-<b></b>);-<b></b>);-<b></b>)

Thanks, Nancy

2004-02-14 2:17 PM
in reply to: #7313

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Nancy,

Both Hydrofinz and Zoomers are the shorter type of fins that will help with your ankle flexibility and force you to kick in the correct way. Both will also give you a good workout. However, Hydrofinz I find are more comfortable- they slip on easily. They also work your legs a little more and improve strength.
I recommend them to the swimmers I coach.
Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers,
Kevin
www.triswimcoach.com
2004-02-14 2:40 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
I use zoomers. I like them alot, although I find I have to tape both of my big toes to prevent them from getting blistered (right behind the nail).

I use the fins at least one day a week.

On a related note, I have been getting some cramping in one calf (in the lower calf, high achilles area). Usually occurs when I push off the wall very aggressively. It sometimes relaxes right away, and sometimes creeps into my foot a little bit. I am having some residual tightness there after running, but also am starting to think that I may be over-fatiguing the calf from using my fins. I think there definately is a limit to how much/long you use the fins.

Dan
2004-02-14 2:55 PM

I agree with you Dan that one should not use fins (or other swim aids) too much or too often. My kick almost  causes me to go backwards when swimming!! So I need work in this area and figure that, used judiciously, the fins will help.

Kevin -- where can I find the hyrofinz -- is there a website link?

Thanks, Nancy

2004-02-14 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
I like the bladed fins, they seem to do more for my ankle flexibility than zoomers.  Like everyone says, fins are great for drills.  I started out using them half the time in my freestyle laps as well, and was sad breaking that habit.
2004-02-14 11:30 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Nancy,
I just did a google search and found several sites w/zoomers and hydrofinz. Have a pair of hydrofinz coming. Will let you all know how they work out.

2004-02-14 11:33 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
I use #2 zoomers for leg strengthening. I use them with a kickboard, so all I use are my legs and then I use them for laps. I usually warm-up for a 1/4 mile, then use the fins. I don't use them for speed drills.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim fins for training? Rss Feed