BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CactusTri's Group -- RECLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2008-02-20 6:46 PM
in reply to: #1112369

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: CactusTri's Group -- REOPEN
Yike - heard my first tri (kirkland) is a challenging one - super hilly. So in honor of my stellar training week this week i'm thinking of signing up for an EARLIER tri which some other WA folks say is flat and alot easier, ChelanMan, July 20, i haven't started running or biking really. is it possible? That's only five months!
K

2008-02-20 11:04 PM
in reply to: #1224717

User image

Extreme Veteran
chikopiakomak - 2008-02-20 5:46 PM

Yike - heard my first tri (kirkland) is a challenging one - super hilly. So in honor of my stellar training week this week i'm thinking of signing up for an EARLIER tri which some other WA folks say is flat and alot easier, ChelanMan, July 20, i haven't started running or biking really. is it possible? That's only five months!
K

Well, the quote at the top of the page when I read your message was this:

"You'll always miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky

As far as whether or not it is possible to be ready, I would say it is as long as you are not pushing for a specific time. I forget right now if you are working with a tri coach or training plan or not. If so, let them know the dates of your events or revisit the plan with your planned events in mind and see if you need to tweak it a bit.

Remember, a sprint is probably only 25 miles or so on the bike and 2-3 mile run. You can build up to those distances pretty slowly and be safe and avoid injury. You probably won't win the thing, but you should be able to finish it without hurting yourself.
2008-02-20 11:59 PM
in reply to: #1224293

User image

Colorado

Jenni G - 2008-02-20 2:29 PM Whoops, sorry! I meant the one about the gear mashing and cadence. I also read the heart rate training ones that you posted earlier. Lots of good info. Steven, what % of your mhr composes the majority of your runs? It looks like you run alot of mileage at a much slower pace than you're capable of pulling out. Also, curious about your pace on treadmill vs out on the road. I know my perceived effort on the treadmill is significantly slower than outdoors. In other words, I work just as hard doing a 12 min mile on the treadmill as I do outside running a 9:45. Does anyone else notice this difference? I think for me its due to the caged in feeling and shortened stride. What do you think?

I have been having a really tough time on the treadmill lately.  A few good runs outside during my lunch hour, and I can't seem to motivate myself to get back on the thing.  I think it's

1.  boring

2.  not as easy to slow down/speed up

3  because I'm always next to someone who smells bad

4  too hot--no wind to cool me down

5  boring

6  I feel like a mouse (running on a wheel, in a cage)

Anyway, I think my last treadmill "run" was only like 3 minutes, then I switched to the elliptical, then I decided to just run outside the following day. 

2008-02-21 6:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
Oh yeah, without a doubt the treadmill is excruciating torchure. Sometimes, it's more convenient or just plain a necessity if you HAVE to get a run in and you have no time to drive somewhere, or its closer to your next workout, weather, whatever. I hate it too. I have heard some people don't notice a difference in perceived effort and some go faster. I've gotten to where I don't look at the numbers anymore. I go for time on the treadmill and watch my HR. It gets me thru.

Here's another one for the group. Someone mentioned body fat % for triathletes. Is there an accepted norm or a goal to shoot for? I got measured last nite and I anxiously await the results. But, I don't know what to compare the result to. What will the number mean? How far do I have to go to be "fit", etc. Any thoughts?
2008-02-21 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
I've been searching around to find a body fat ranges. Here's what I've found so far.

What is a normal body fat percentage?
A normal body fat percentage range for the average woman is 18 to 26% of body weight, while a normal range for a man is 9 to 15%. This includes essential and storage fat. However, to accommodate all fitness levels and ages, the American Council on Exercise believes that women can be between 14 to 31 percent body fat and still be considered “healthy” while can men can have a range of 6 to 25 percent.

I've read that abs start showing up for guys around 10%. I think for women abs can start showing in the upper teens. It's hard to tell, most of the web info that I've found is for weight lifters and it may skew the numbers. I carry all my extra baggage in my mid section.

I'm going to check to see if my gym can measure my body fat. I'm thinking I want abs for summer. I need to see how far I have to go.

Edited by ScotInMinnesota 2008-02-21 8:55 AM
2008-02-21 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
I agree, the treadmill sucks. Sometime it's the only option. For me it helps if I do some sort of interval training. It's not as boring then. Right now I've been doing hill intervals at slower speeds. I can get my heart rate up there without stress my knees too much.

I can't wait for spring.

Scot

2008-02-21 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1225588

User image

Extreme Veteran
ScotInMinnesota - 2008-02-21 7:55 AM

I carry all my extra baggage in my mid section.

I'm thinking I want abs for summer.

Me too on both counts, but I'm not sure I am willing to eat healthy enough to do it. LOL!

On the treadmill discussion, there are times when I would like to have that option, mainly to be able to do some hillwork. The closest hills I can get to are about 30-40 minute drive from home and I almost never am willing to go anywhere for a workout other than the pool or lake. Later in the spring, my tri-club goes OWS once a week and usually will get a hill run in there, but this time of the year, I get nothing for hills. Seriously, on my 18 mile run last weekend, I had a total elevation gain of 108 feet. Check it out here: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4981851They don't make pancakes that flat.

2008-02-21 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
That is a really flat run. Nice pace by the way.

I like the graph. What type of GPS do you use for your training? How do you like it?

Scot
2008-02-21 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
I like that Motion Based website! I saw an ad for it in the stuff that came with my Garmin, but didnt have time to check it out. Im going to look into it. Its way more comprehensive than the Training Center software that was included with the device.

2008-02-21 1:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks. I have the Garmin 201 and it is great. But, after running with a few people that have newer models and different models, it appears to be just a little bit off. A run last week was 9.00 according to the watch. MotionBased "corrected it to 9.08. The other 2 people that I ran with (never more than about 10 feet away from and usually side-by-side or right in front/behind) said theirs was 8.74 and 8.75. I looked at one of their charts and compared to mine and mine took a strange looking hop to the side when I had not gone that direction, but was going under a bridge. So I think mine is just a little less accurate than the newer models.

I have been thinking about getting the Garmin 405 that is coming out soon. It appears to be about the same size as a "regular" watch and still has all the GPS and lap/pace/etc features. Mine also does not have the HR which would make it nicer to see them in sync and compare pace vs HR and HR vs elevation change, etc.

Overall, I would say that the amount mine appears to be "off" is not enough to make me reevaluate my training or worry about my fitness or readiness for IM, but I am a Type A personality and I track my mileage down to the 100th of a mile, including shoe wear so it would be nice to get an upgraded model someday.
2008-02-21 1:15 PM
in reply to: #1226304

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenni G - 2008-02-21 11:52 AM

I like that Motion Based website! I saw an ad for it in the stuff that came with my Garmin, but didnt have time to check it out. Im going to look into it. Its way more comprehensive than the Training Center software that was included with the device.

Do check it out. The driver that you need to download will also let you update your device firmware if needed which makes it more accurate. I used to get an elevation change of over 1000 feet about a half mile from my house and now it is 1 foot which is a lot closer to the truth.

I don't pay for the enhanced service, I just upload my workouts when I want to do more looking at the data or show someone something. It is fun to "show' someone your whole marathon using the Player tab and the satellite view.

2008-02-25 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
I'd like to recommend a website for us GPS deficient people. You click and add your running/biking route to a map and it will tell you the distance and elavation. I believe you can even save your route.

You can also search for routes that other users have used in your area. This is really nice for bike routes, because it can be difficult to find roads with smooth wide shoulders.

http://www.mapmytri.com/

also

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
lets you map out your route.

Scot

Edited by ScotInMinnesota 2008-02-25 10:34 AM
2008-02-25 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Thanks Scot! just mapped out my "run" for this evening. Speedy results tomorrow on my log.

2008-02-25 11:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scot,

Thanks for the links. I had seen them before, but misplaced the links. Now I have saved them in my "Foxmarks" (the single best browser addin if you use Mozilla Firefox for a browser IMHO)
2008-02-26 12:24 AM

New user

I would like to join your group. I am in Alaska, it is quite a change from your training venue. I did live in Las Vegas for 11 years so I understand the environment. We can train just as hard here but have to do it indoors alot. I am new to this and am looking forward to completing my first tri this year. Actually I will be competing in two of them. One is the Eagle river tri, a traditional with a pool swim and the other one is an Xterra. I realise I am late getting into the game. I have been weight training seriously since Nov and just recently decided to focus my training to the Tri world. I have exercised on and of most of my life with no real consistancy. I am in ok shape but not neerly as good of shape as I need to be in. I am looking forward to any adivce you can provide. Thanks for letting me participate.
2008-02-26 1:57 PM
in reply to: #1235334

User image

Veteran
Texas
Hi Welcome! Must be challenging training in Alaska.

So - this weekend on Friday after my swim i went to the video store and got this creature feature called Ice Spiders - a total C movie or lower... anyway, it's about these spiders that grow to human size proportions and then go attack a bunch of skiers. As I was running yesterday I was wondering if one of those things hopped out of the trees - perhaps i might be able to run faster....

I'm completely painfully slow, as in almost 13 minute miles - yikes and i was jogging the whole time - not walking - what do you guys recommend to get my running speed up as quickly as possible - just get out and do it? - interval training??? strength? And how does this fit in with training for the other portions? I'm taking it a little easy so i don;t hurt my knees or pop another achilles... I do have alot of time (august, i just signed up for another one - Danskin) and it's only sprint.
Thanks!
Karen

2008-02-26 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Where is everyone today?

Great news today, getting a nice bonus at work so i can get a BIKE!!!! yeah!!!!! so, thinking of a road bike - looking at Giant OCR series or Specialized Allez - i have NO IDEA what is important and what is not. there is a bike shop that allows demos and they carry both brands. Any advice for me?

On another note, my 15 yo son told me how proud he is of me that i'm actually doing this - umm no pressure now!

Karen
2008-02-27 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1235334

User image

Extreme Veteran
akhunter300 - 2008-02-25 11:24 PM

I would like to join your group. I am in Alaska, it is quite a change from your training venue. I did live in Las Vegas for 11 years so I understand the environment. We can train just as hard here but have to do it indoors alot. I am new to this and am looking forward to completing my first tri this year. Actually I will be competing in two of them. One is the Eagle river tri, a traditional with a pool swim and the other one is an Xterra. I realise I am late getting into the game. I have been weight training seriously since Nov and just recently decided to focus my training to the Tri world. I have exercised on and of most of my life with no real consistancy. I am in ok shape but not neerly as good of shape as I need to be in. I am looking forward to any adivce you can provide. Thanks for letting me participate.

Welcome. Sorry for the delay in answering, but I've been swamped at work and my internet connection was down last night.

I think AZ and AK are just about opposites when it comes to climate. I think it probably takes more mental effort to train indoors as much as you must have to. I don't think most of us are every in as good of shape as we think we should be. I know I could improve a bunch if I spent some time with weights and less time on snacks.

Just a note on how this works. It is not about me being an expert (for the record I'm not) but about keeping touch with several other folks. Also, other members of the group have more experience in one or more of the disciplines and thus are good sources for information, on say cycling for example, than I am. Furthermore, the group is helpful to encourage each other, so add the rest of the group to your friends list in the Control Panel and check our logs and post an "inspire" to encourage, congratulate or challenge us. Also, it will help if your logs are visible at least to your friends list so we can see what you are doing and make comments or suggestions or answer questions more accurately.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of tri's!
2008-02-27 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1236573

User image

Extreme Veteran
chikopiakomak - 2008-02-26 12:57 PM
Ice Spiders ...

I'm completely painfully slow, as in almost 13 minute miles -... what do you guys recommend to get my running speed up as quickly as possible

Karen, I'm pretty sure I know which movie that was. DW (my Dear Wife) was watching it one day and I just got drawn into it. So unrealistic it was kinda funny at times.

In my experience, (as well as what I have heard from others) "run more to run faster" applies for the first chunk of time as a runner. For me it was till I got over 25-30 miles per week before I started doing any speedwork. I just went out and ran my pace and found that "my pace" was getting faster and faster. For example, my first HM was 2:35. My next one (1 year later) was 2:03 that is 11:51 down to 9:26 with no speed work other than an occasional "sprint" (using the term VERY loosely) to cross a busy intersection or once in a while doing some random speed intervals (30-60 seconds a little faster than easy).

I have also seen (Runners World, Daniels, McMillan, etc) that any running at your Lactate Threshold (faster than an easy run, but slower than your 5k race pace) should never be more than about 12% of your total weekly mileage and intervals (a bit faster than your 5k pace for 1/2 to 1 mile at a time) should only be 8% or less of your total. Repetitions (about 1 min/mile faster than 5k pace for 50 to 400meters) should only be about 2% of your total. You should have 1 "long run" per week at an easy pace. This should be between 25 and 40% of your total weekly mileage.

You can see the spreadsheet I created to help myself track this at http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pEznNBXjIDBO6wrwY_B5rTQand I think you can make a copy of it, but if not and you want a copy, just send me a PM here with your email address and I'll send you more info.

So, very long answer to your "how can I get faster?" question, but the short answer is run more (at your easy pace) until you are at least at 25-30 miles per week.

2008-02-27 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1237323

User image

Extreme Veteran
chikopiakomak - 2008-02-26 5:10 PM
Great news today, getting a nice bonus at work so i can get a BIKE!!!! yeah!!!!! so, thinking of a road bike - looking at Giant OCR series or Specialized Allez - i have NO IDEA what is important and what is not. there is a bike shop that allows demos and they carry both brands. Any advice for me?

On another note, my 15 yo son told me how proud he is of me that i'm actually doing this - umm no pressure now!
Karen

Congrat's on the bonus!!!

The advice I was given when I started looking for a bike a few years ago was to make sure you get "good enough" components so they won't be giving you trouble. Shimano 105 is what I was told would be a good starting point for my price range. I have had my bike for over 2 years and have had almost no trouble. The store I bough my bike at gives free lifetime adjustments, so I try to bring it in about every year and they adjust things if needed.

Things to think about:
- components higher cost = longer life and lower maintenance/headaches
- frame material. I think carbon is overrated for me. My bike only has carbon fork and seat post.
- pedals. I went clipless and love them. Takes a bit to get used to them and you can't really walk in your bike shoes (unless you go with mountain bike style).
- support from the bike store. When you have a sticky gear that you can't easily shift into, will they fix it for you for some time or is it $35/hr?
- fit. Will they put you on rollers and have you ride in the store to make sure the bike is setup right for you so you don't get hurt riding a bike with a bad setup?

I'm sure others will be able to comment more. I'm not familiar enough with those brands to comment.

Good luck.
2008-02-28 7:30 PM

New user

Any room for another?

I am 34 and live in Towson, MD with my wife and 2 kids. I did a short duathlon a couple of years ago but have been training for my first tri this spring. I started training in December/January and have recently fallen behind a bit because of a foot injury. I wanted to get hooked in to a group to keep on track.

Thanks,

Rob

2008-02-29 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Hi everyone

Joined the bike challenge for March - 8 hours! Going to put together a more formalized training plan this weekend so I can meet my March goals.
Sat - Swim noonish/run - AM
Sun - Trainer - AM /Tennis - Eve

Hope you'all have a good training weekend and that Jenni gets some SUN!!!!
2008-02-29 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
Woo-hoo! Karen, it's working! Wish it some more! Wish it some more!!
2008-02-29 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1242662

User image

Extreme Veteran
[email protected] - 2008-02-28 6:30 PM

Any room for another?

I am 34 and live in Towson, MD with my wife and 2 kids. I did a short duathlon a couple of years ago but have been training for my first tri this spring. I started training in December/January and have recently fallen behind a bit because of a foot injury. I wanted to get hooked in to a group to keep on track.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,

The more the merrier! What distance tri are you training for and when is it? What do you consider your biggest limiter for that race? Any specific questions?

I mentioned this for the last newcomer, but I'll repeat here to make sure you saw it:

ust a note on how this works. It is not about me being an expert (for the record I'm not) but about keeping touch with several other folks. Also, other members of the group have more experience in one or more of the disciplines and thus are good sources for information, on say cycling for example, than I am. Furthermore, the group is helpful to encourage each other, so add the rest of the group to your friends list in the Control Panel and check our logs and post an "inspire" to encourage, congratulate or challenge us. Also, it will help if your logs are visible at least to your friends list so we can see what you are doing and make comments or suggestions or answer questions more accurately.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of tri's! (they are at least 50% more fun than a duathlon Yes, I am a geek, but I'm ok with that.)
2008-02-29 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1243640

User image

Extreme Veteran
chikopiakomak - 2008-02-29 9:10 AM

Hi everyone

Joined the bike challenge for March - 8 hours! Going to put together a more formalized training plan this weekend so I can meet my March goals.
Sat - Swim noonish/run - AM
Sun - Trainer - AM /Tennis - Eve

Hope you'all have a good training weekend and that Jenni gets some SUN!!!!

Very cool. Another board I'm on does the VRAA (Virtual Run Across America) and I played last time. Our team came in third place!

This weekend will be a challenging one for me. My DS#2 (16yo) and I are volunteering at a checkpoint for a 189 mile relay race. Some of my local tri friends (they are also here on BT) needed some volunteers as part of their team or they needed to pay $$$. We are scheduled from 8:30a - 1:30p. After we get home from that, I need to try and get about a 3 hour bike followed by 45 min run BRICK. Sunday morning I need to get an hour bike ride in and then a 17 mile long run in the afternoon. WHEW will I be tired. I'll need to get back to work to recover. LOL.

I'll share the sun, it is starting to warm up a bit too quickly here (it was over 80* yesterday) and we are getting the feeling that we might be in for a long and hot summer. I think I need a job that transfers me somewhere like Canada for the summers and back here for the winters. Anyone know of one? I fully expect to be a snowbird if I ever stop wasting $$$ on triathlon and start saving up for retirement.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CactusTri's Group -- RECLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7