BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CactusTri's Group -- RECLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2008-04-02 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1308482

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
Subject: RE: CactusTri's Group -- RECLOSED

Karen,

Great job on the BF test!! I'm waiting on my second test myself. I just have three more lbs to go.

Love your new avatar! Peep peep!

Good luck on the bike challenge! Keep up the great work!

2008-04-03 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1312273

User image

Veteran
Texas
Jenni G - 2008-04-02 6:43 PM

Karen,

Great job on the BF test!! I'm waiting on my second test myself. I just have three more lbs to go.

Love your new avatar! Peep peep!

Good luck on the bike challenge! Keep up the great work!

that is AWESOME!! seems like the last few lbs are the hardest but If I recall you were on a good track with your goals too! Good luck!

Unfortunately I "earned" the peep avatar by our team not winning the march challenge. I did my goal though and raised it by 2 hrs this month in the April Multisport.

Another member of our group (not to be named but is on vacation right now) is also in the challenge. He got on the wrong team though.... cause we're going to win! He might have to change his avatar to a pumpkin for May!
2008-04-10 8:33 AM
in reply to: #1112369

User image

Veteran
Texas
Hi group

Thanks for checking in on my logs!

Stephen - GO STEPHEN GO!!!! Have a great race this weekend. Can't wait to read the race report!

work/life issues converging this week - not in a good way. i'll be out of touch for a couple more days. trying to sneak in a ride today if the "stars align" (weather, work break, life ...).

I'm also wondering if you guys would like to do like a weekly check in on the blog here. Some of the other groups just check in weekly to see what is going on/issues others have kind of mini goals/challenges. Anyway - we're not a super chatty group which is fine - but just checking to see if that is something we might want to do.

later
Karen
2008-04-10 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
I think a weekly check in is a great idea. I hate it when we slip to the second page.

I've actually worked out 4 days in a row, that's pretty good for me. I still have 3 more days to go in the week. I may actually hit my goal of 7 hours of exercise this week. It would be a first. I need a little more purple in my graph, so I'll probably swim tonight or tomorrow and hopefully once this weekend.

Work and family life continues on. Work is getting a little hectic. There's a blizzard ( and I'm not talking Dairy Queen) warning this afternoon and tonight. Hopefully it clears up enough to take a long run this weekend. My bike looks so sad on the trainer in the basement. :-(

Good luck to Stephen this weekend. Have a great race!! Doing an ironman is a way cool accomplishment.

Scot

2008-04-10 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1328776

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois

I'm up for a weekly check in. Glad to hear you are OK, Karen. I was getting a little worried about you.  I'm sorry to hear you are stressing and jammed up with work and life issues. Keep your chin up, its bound to get better soon. I'll be thinking about you.

Steven, I am thinking about you and cheering you on the whole way. Do you have to travel far and when are you leaving for the race? Is your family going along, too? I wish it was televised so we could watch your progress! Is there a website that lets you track racers by bib number? Just remember, your little chicks are rooting for mama hen!!

BTW, did anyone catch the rumor that NBC is televising the Nov Ironman National Championships 70.3 held in Florida on Saturday night? I thought I read 5-6 pm. Take a look at your local listings and see if you can catch this.

Let's see....Scot and I are in the April ABS Challenge group. We both want abs for summer and now is as good a time as any to start working on them. Hey Kim, you should jump in here now that you have a few new exercises to try out!

I just received a few books I ordered. "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy" by Terry Laughlin. (finally, where has this been all my life?), "Complete Triathlon Book" by Matt Fitzgerald, and "Training Plans for Multisport Athletes" by Gale Bernhardt. I'll let you know if they are any good.

My River to River Relay Race is next weekend. What a great way to celebrate my 26th birthday, huh? So far, the race is still a go, although they had to cut out the first leg due to landslide that can't be cleared in time. So guess who runner 2 is? I suppose it's appropriate for the team captain to start off the troops, but I was hoping a better runner would start everyone off on the right foot. (Get it?) So runner 1 only has to run 2 legs. I think there will be some deal making going on before final assignment is made. On Sunday, we are having our team pictures taken. When I get them back from the photographer, I'll post. We are a FINE looking bunch, I assure you. We have a blogspot for the team that I can post to from my mobile phone. We will be taking pictures along the way and posting them up to the minute so friends and relatives can join in on the fun! The address is in my profile, if you care to take a peek.

That's my boring life in a nutshell...

2008-04-11 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1329017

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenni G - 2008-04-10 12:31 PM

I'm up for a weekly check in.

Steven, I am thinking about you and cheering you on the whole way. Do you have to travel far and when are you leaving for the race? Is your family going along, too? I wish it was televised so we could watch your progress! Is there a website that lets you track racers by bib number? Just remember, your little chicks are rooting for mama hen!!

BTW, did anyone catch the rumor that NBC is televising the Nov Ironman National Championships 70.3 held in Florida on Saturday night? I thought I read 5-6 pm. Take a look at your local listings and see if you can catch this.

My River to River Relay Race is next weekend. What a great way to celebrate my 26th birthday, huh?

Weekly checkins are good. I try to check in individually at least once a week, but have been neglecting the group discussion. I will try to make sure I get back here more regularly and try to spark some discussion.

Thanks for thinking of me and cheering for me. It should be on ironmanlive.com, so you could watch there if you really have nothing better to do and a decent internet connection.

Tracking info for those interested:
Real Time Athlete Tracking, the core product of Team Ironmanlive. Follow your athletes progress through the course, with split times, pace, transition, and position information. Our goal is to keep you connected to the race, from anywhere around the globe.

At the start of the race you will see a link for the Athlete Tracker under the coverage tab of the event on the home page of Ironman.com. You can also access the coverage by navigating to "Events", then choosing the race you are interested in.

My Race # is 1029 Stephen Andert

The race is right in my back yard (well, 30 miles away) so no travel required. I'm going down to register today and take a demo ride on a Cervelo. Not sure if I will get an aero helmet or not. Probably will. Tonight is the mandatory athletes meeting and welcome dinner. Gonna meet some more BT peeps there.

Hope you have a blast at the relay. My friends did one here in AZ and had a blast. Sounds like a great way to spend your b-day, but you are only 26? so young. Makes me feel old. I start my 4th decade this year. At least I can still outrun my kids

I have my DVR set to record anything that says triathlon. The Florida 70.3 is scheduled to record at 2 pm local time for me which would probably be 5 pm for east coasters, depending on local programming. That'll be a good thing to watch before going to bed tomorrow night along with the Hawaii race I still have recorded for motivation.

Well, gotta jet. Take care...

2008-04-11 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1331152

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois

I'm logging in on sunday to watch you if I can! Go STEVEN!!

That was a joke about my age, I'm 40 something, too! I feel better that you actually thought it might be true!  I never get carded anymore at the grocery store, either. BOOOOO!

2008-04-14 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
Way to go Stephen!! Nice race!
2008-04-14 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
YEAH STEPHEN!!!!!

I was watching the live video and my kids got cranky - i JUST MISSED SEEING YOU!! ugh - watched until about 14:20.

That is such a great accomplishment - congrats!!!
2008-04-14 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1336318

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks gang! It was great knowing there were people out there in the internets that were watching me. I came real close to my overall race goal time of 14:15. I think if the temps had been a few degrees cooler and the wind had been a little bit gentler, I would have probably made it. But I am super happy with 14:33:38. I had 2 other friends, both of whom are stronger bikers than me that finished behind me. It was just brutal out there. According to the preliminary results, 2027 people started and only 1689 finished. I saw a lot of broken down bikes/bikers on the side of the road during the bike.

I finished my race report here on BT and you should be able to get to it by clicking the link in my log for yesterday. I will be working on my "real" race report (more article format, rather than fill-in-the blank format) as soon as I finish doing my taxes. (bleech)
2008-04-16 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Hi

I ready your race report stephen - wow, I can't even imagine ... That is such an accomplishment - you've inspired me! IRONMAN STEPHEN! Hope the new job is going well too.

Jenni - so your R2R is on - that's great - your team looks fantastic! You LOOK like you just turned 26, so that's all that matters right?

Checking in for the week, i realize it is Wed. Life/work is still kicking me in the rear. My DS broke his arm Friday in LA, so off to the doc on Monday. No cast just a splint for now - I won't go into detail, but it's making it much harder to do everything and we both love it that i have to help him bathe (15 yo) every morning. He's obsessed with his hair, so it MUST be washed each morning.

Work has been dicey, we'll see what the future holds. Hoping this will resolve by end of next week, latest end of the month at the board meeting - we'll see.

So thanks for letting me vent about life - on to what I plan to do for training. I got back in the pool this morning which was great. Felt good to work out and helped relieve some stress. My plan for what is left of the week is to ride Thursday, swim Friday, swim/run Saturday and at least run on Sunday.

Scot's team (the Meeses are winning the April challenge so I need to get back in gear and help my team defeat the antlered ones....

Thanks for the inspires, I'll be slowly back on.

Hope you guys are having a good week!

2008-04-17 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well, hello there.  I finally put my nose to the grindstone and Tuesday I finished my taxes and then yesterday was crazy getting caught up at work.  So finally got home last night and started working on the race report and got it finished early this morning.  I like the ease of the BT RR format, but I like to include more details, so my "full" race report is up at http://andertfamily.net/20080413_IMAZ.aspx

I will be checking in on all of you by this weekend, so make sure you are working out and logging your workouts!   

2008-04-18 5:27 PM

User image

Colorado
Nice report!  I like the photos.  Great race, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
2008-04-19 11:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Ditto to Andria on the race report on your blog.

I've been thinking maybe I should consider an Oly next year... OH - I guess I better actually finish one sprint tri this year first...

Jenni - hope it went great today, looking forward to your report.

Got in a good workout today and planning out next week so I don't have a bunch of white on the calendar. Tomorrow still going to try to get in 20 min on the spinner and 20 min on the treadmill to finish the weekend.

Hope you all are having a good one.
2008-04-21 12:40 AM
in reply to: #1349428

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well, I actually ran tonight (Sunday). 3.1 miles, but that is my first post IM workout. I meant to sooner, but some family "issues" kept me otherwise engaged.  Good side is, we seem to be making progress on the issues.  Hopefully, I'll get a few more workouts in this week and also be able to check your logs, so better get crackin and log some time

Have a great week folks! 

2008-04-24 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Thought you guys might enjoy this!

"Considering the number of doughnuts I plan to eat, the hunched-over position required of a road bike seems suboptimal”
--- Elden Davis, FatCyclist

2008-04-25 6:49 AM
in reply to: #1360314

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois

I see they have started an April Mentor program. Do I have to go to the archives to pick up on this thread now? Can we keep going with our group? Anyone have anything new going on this week? I guess I'll chime in with my weekly update:

I have 8 days to learn to swim like a champion for my May 4th Try the Tri. I'm thinking based on my performance this week at the pool, I will fail miserably. I still haven't signed up for it yet. The thing holding me back is I don't know what time to put down for my estimated swim. I've only been timed in a 150 once and I didn't like the result. I was timed on a 100 once and I liked that outcome, so how come I can't swim one more lap in the same time? What happened to the nice numbers? Oh well, 8 more days, 8 more chances.

The April ABS/CORE challenge is going pretty well. My first week I did great. Second week less than great. This week I am at 33%, but I still have 3 more days to get 2 more workouts in.

That's about it for me. Hey, what ever happened to Mapledave? Who's got a race coming up next?

2008-04-25 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Hey group

Jenni
Sign up sign up! At least you'll have a bench mark in an actual race, if nothing else. But my suspicion is you'll do really well and be encouraged! Nice ABS work and workouts...

Mapledave popped in on my log - He had a work thing but is back at it. Hi Dave.

I would love to continue with this group and stay in touch. I've also joined an April Mentor group. The more the merrier! It's neat seeing different perspectives and approaches and "meeting" new BT'ers.

Here is my May Plan

Workouts per week
2 run x 30 min each (may add one more)
2 swim x 45 - 1 hr each (at least 1600 yds each)
2 Bike - 2 x 1 hr
2 strength - 1 upper, 1 lower 15 - 30 min each

I'd like to be avg faster in everything by EOM, so right now I'm at:

500 swim - 8:33
4.5 mph average on run (on a treadmill right now while I get my legs)
14 MPH bike

End of May hoping for:

500 swim - 8:15
4.7+ mph with at least 5 mins of run at 5.0 mph
15 MPH avg bike

I hope I can stick with that. Drop by my logs or here and tell me to get with the program if I’m slacking. Work is much better and over the hump. Still have the board meeting next week, but shouldn’t be any issues there. YEAH!

You guys have a great weekend.
2008-04-25 5:47 PM
in reply to: #1361019

User image

Colorado
Jenni G - 2008-04-25 5:49 AM

I see they have started an April Mentor program. Do I have to go to the archives to pick up on this thread now? Can we keep going with our group? Anyone have anything new going on this week? I guess I'll chime in with my weekly update:

I have 8 days to learn to swim like a champion for my May 4th Try the Tri. I'm thinking based on my performance this week at the pool, I will fail miserably. I still haven't signed up for it yet. The thing holding me back is I don't know what time to put down for my estimated swim. I've only been timed in a 150 once and I didn't like the result. I was timed on a 100 once and I liked that outcome, so how come I can't swim one more lap in the same time? What happened to the nice numbers? Oh well, 8 more days, 8 more chances.

The April ABS/CORE challenge is going pretty well. My first week I did great. Second week less than great. This week I am at 33%, but I still have 3 more days to get 2 more workouts in.

That's about it for me. Hey, what ever happened to Mapledave? Who's got a race coming up next?

I have another race coming up on Sunday--The Cherry Creek Sneak.  It a 5 mile run and I am running, oh, about 10 minutes before I have to stop right now.  I plan to try to run at least.  Last weekend I ended up volunteering at my 5K race b/c I couldn't run.  It was good, though.  I never volunteered for a running race before (only ski races).  There's alot more involved than I thought.  Just collecting timing chips, taking down tables and tents, and the clean up!!!  I never realized how messy places get.  Anyway, oh yeah....I have a race.

I didn't realize much was going on here still.  Sorry I don't drop by more often.  It's good to get caught up, though

Good luck everyone else who's racing this weekend!

2008-04-25 5:48 PM

User image

Colorado

"It's a 5 mile run".  I should really learn to use that preview feature down there
2008-05-02 12:55 AM
in reply to: #1360314

User image

Extreme Veteran
chikopiakomak - 2008-04-24 2:34 PMThought you guys might enjoy this! "Considering the number of doughnuts I plan to eat, the hunched-over position required of a road bike seems suboptimal”--- Elden Davis, FatCyclist
That is my new motto !!!

2008-05-02 12:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Still trying to get back into things.  I did get a 4 miler in yesterday!!! Woo-hoo! Maybe 3 tomorrow morning if I stop surfing and get to bed,  LOL. 

Take care folks... 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CactusTri's Group -- RECLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7