General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Introduction and a couple of questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-06 11:08 AM

Subject: Introduction and a couple of questions
Hello,

I have lurking here for a bit and using the training programs, but I've gotten to the point where I have some questions so I'll take this chance to introduce myself.

I'm 34 years old, 6'5" and go about 261 according to the scale this morning. I guess that qualifies me as a "clydesdale". I used to do power lifting (herniated disk) and body building (rotator cuff tear) and I'm still in pretty good shape coming in at 7.9% bodyfat this morning. I'm on month 2 of the 2x 16 week sprint training program and other than a very sore butt, I have really been enjoying myself.

I tore my rotator cuff after a year of "bulking" for a BB contest and decided I was going to take a break for about a year to do something else - and the trialthon seemed to be the right fit. The only problem was that I could not swim, have not run in about 15 years, and did not own a bike!

When I first started swimming I could not go 50 yards without stopping for a couple of minutes to catch my breath, but on my long swim this week I was able to do 1100 yards and felt like I could have gone on forever! I still need to get a bike, but have been using a spinning bike. I live in Vermont and there is far too much snow to go outside biking... I'm still concerned about the rigors of training on my body - knees, shoulder, back, etc, but so far the cross training has really been making the training go by fast.

I am interested in doing the sprint and possibly the Olympic tri's for the primary reason that when I look at the training requirements, I still have time to do some weight training. Right now I'm doing squats and power cleans - good whole body workouts on one of my off or short training days.

So to my questions -

1. For the 16 or 20 week program, what zone am I looking for for my heart rate? Am I trying to do long workouts at a good base heart rate and short workouts in intervals?
2. How much of a morning heart rate jump is enough to warrant concern? Right now the lowest I have read is 51, but during the week it will raise has high as 56 or so.
3. I have noted that the suggested diet for training is carbohydrate heavy. Is this the concensus?

Regarding the diet portion, I have getting a good deal of my calories from fat and protein over the last 5 years - and when preparing for a contest going ketogenic. I'm so used to this that the suggested calories from carbs for someone my size is just too much for me to handle! Assuming I have about 240 pounds of LBM and 15 cal/pound for maintenance = 3600 cal/day to keep weight and if 60% of that is carbohydrates = 2160 cal/carbs at 4 calories/gram that is 540 grams carbs a day or about 10 CUPS of oatmeal a day! Assuming that I want 1g/per pound LBM that is 240 grams protein or 960 calories protein leaving only 53 grams of fat calories left in the day (the hypothetical 10 cups of plain oatmeal would provide 25grams of that fat). And those calcualations are based upon lean body mass - if I just used my body weight the numbers are higher. You see now why I take lots of fat, moderate protein, and some low glycemic index carbs for my main diet.

In other words, I just can't see eating that many carbs so are there other atheletes in this sport that compete with a diet with fewer carbs?

Well, thanks for your time and for providing the training material on this site!

Jorta

2004-02-06 12:40 PM
in reply to: #6198

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Introduction and a couple of questions

Edited by TriMom217 2004-02-06 12:40 PM
2004-02-06 12:40 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
hi Jorta,

wow, some technical stuff there. But I do know what you're saying because when I was more competitive a few years ago I followed a 40-30-30 plan. These days my protein is a bit lower and my fat is a bit higher, but I am a 5'4" female with an LBM of about 105. Anyhow, the easiest way to get in enough carbs for you would probably be with fruit. Of course if your talking about fruit that's low on the GI scale then you're still talking about truckloads of berries. Check my fitday link below, you'll see that I get my carbs from sweet potatoes, some fruit, and lots of vegetables.

When I first started eating and training this was I had several nasty bonks, so don't be surprised if it happens. But I have gotten used to eating and training this way and my body does great. I can't imagine trying to feed an LBM of more than twice my own! Keep us posted on your progress.

2004-02-06 4:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

Hey Jorta,

Welcome to the site and good luck on all your goals. If your morning HRs are pretty steady and then take a 5+ beat jump, it would probably be a good idea to do an easy day. As for the training intensity what I've read says one long easy pace day for each event per week, and maybe one speed type day per event per week and the rest should be easy/recovery pace and moderate to short distance. 'Course this all depends on how many workouts you are doing. If you are doing 6 days one event per day, you wouldn't want 3 longs and 3 speeds, that'd be too much. Do three longs and one speed. Even if you workout 7 days and are doubling up on many of those days, limiting your speed workouts to one or two times a week might be a good idea. You can rotate events over a 3 week build followed by a 1 week recovery week so that you get one or two speed workouts per event per 4 week period.

Regarding the speed stuff you can mix it up each week. fartlek, intervals of varying length and tempo. I like the tempo workouts where you do race pace or a bit above race pace for a set amount of time and increase this time as your program progresses. I don't know if that made any sense or not. Anyway, good luck again. I know you'll do great. Have fun.

JD

2004-02-09 9:48 AM

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the responses! I've been trying to up the carbs, but there are just so many I can eat in a day! Also, thanks for the guiding on the training intensity. I'll keep that in mind as I go forward.

Jorta
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Introduction and a couple of questions Rss Feed