General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Las Vegas Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-18 12:10 PM

Regular
Henderson, Nv
Subject: Hello from Las Vegas
Hi all, I have been comming to this site for a couple of months now reading and soaking up as much information as I can. One thing I can tell you is how impressed I am with the support and information all of you share here. It truly is inspiring. I have decided for various reasons (health, fitness, personal satisfaction, looked in the mirror and wondered who that out of shape person was, etc.) to do my first Tri next year here in Vegas in April. My name is Dave. I am a 38 year old Las Vegas native (Live in Henderson now actually but they are the same area for all intesive purposes). I will start a 21 week training program that I have downloaded that is designed for the Olympic distance Tri I have chosen. For the last couple of months, I have been getting the gear I need and started a workout regimine. I recently bought a 2005 Lemond Versailles Road Bike and love every minute of it. I have also signed up at a local gym that has a 25 yard lap pool and although I have been swimming all of my life, I purchased the TI DVD and have been doing those drills for the few weeks (amazing how well I though I could swim, but now realize how much I really need to learn). I can hardly wait to start my actual Tri regimine Sunday. The one nice thing about living here is that I can train all winter long outdoors running and biking as the weather is generally good. To motivate myself further, I have actually signed up already for the Tri I am going to participate in. If all goes well, I will sign up for another Oly Tri in September here. As I have been pretty much just lurking here for the last couple of months, and the fact I am starting my training in earnest this week, I thought I would introduce myself and say hi to all of you. I look forward to participating on this awsome web site. If there are any others out there from the Las Vegas/Henderson area, I would love to hear from you as well.

Dave

2004-11-18 2:51 PM
in reply to: #84142

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Hello from Las Vegas
AmINuts? The answer to your question is "YES"!!! In fact, there is a whole group of us here that is as well.

Welcome to BT. Good luck with your training.
-Bethany
2004-11-18 7:20 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Best of luck to you. The TI workshop is awesome. I just finished it 2 weeks ago. If you can, try to find (or form...) a group of other TI swimmers. I train at a pool where there's a masters swimming group that cranks out a few bajillion laps every morning while I'm drilling. It would be good to have someone who know's about the TI drills that can look at you while you're practicing and help you get it exactly right. I actually enrolled in a TI masters program where I took the course, so I drive there a few times a week and have my instructor check out anything I think might not be right. Well worth the $$$, especially for someone like me who previously practiced "not drowning" rather than actual swimming...

And yeah, you're completely nuts. Too late to back out now though.... you already have a user name so you're not allowed to quit...it's a rule.
2004-11-18 11:01 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
seems like your ready to go.  welcome and good luck training.
2004-11-18 11:40 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Hey Dave:

My wife and I are coming to Vegas this Sunday until Thursday. Let's hook up if you want.

Shoot me an e-mail if you want to hook up for a bit while I'm in town.

I'll PM you my cell # too.
2004-11-19 12:23 PM

Master
Boston
Hi Dave, welcome to BT- glad you are not a "lurker" anymore! That's so cool you live in Vegas, we should have a BT gathering there at the Palms Resort. hee hee. Best of luck with your training....doesn't it seem like the '05 season is so far away?

2004-11-21 10:54 PM

Hey and welcome aboard!! I am also new, just had my bike, Giant OCR3 for over a week now and took it out today in the wind and cold for a 6 mile ride..

I love Vegas and will be there right after Christmas and again at the end of January. I would be happy to meet up with you and train some while there, or just grab a bite and chat.

My first Tri is in January, an all indoor one. So wish me luck.. I am signing up for a swim club this next week. They work on the TI principles...

well Welcome aboard!! and PM me if you want to discuss the workout plans off here, I too downloaded one and am following it (okay well doing more than I should)..

Sarah

Edited by Gonna Tri B4 I die 2004-11-21 10:54 PM
2004-11-22 1:51 PM

Regular
Henderson, Nv
Thanks everybody glad to be on board. Ron your site here is just fantastic, you can always count on my donation. RGR, You are right I have no intention of giving up, having too much fun preparing. Steve, sorry I did not get to back to you, I have been off of my computer over the weekend. I would have loved to meet you and your wife, but will be out of town on business for the airport on Tuesday and Wednesday so maybe we can hook up when you return to our city (don't lose too much $$ while you are here this time). I would love to talk to you about your Iron Man, those distances boggle my mind. After watching the Kona show on TV this weekend, I am even more in awe of athletes that complete those races. Lisa, a BT get together at the Palms would be great, I love that place, not sure cocktails are on the training program, but I'll buy the first round. Sarah, good luck on your indoor Tri in Jan, Let me know how you do. What are the distances? I would love to chat about our workout plans.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Las Vegas Rss Feed