General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Use of Foam roller Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-27 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Use of Foam roller
So I have been to my PT now twice and go again tomorrow for my ITB issues. Turns out I am "stiff as he$$". His exact words not mine. He even said..."That's a technical term" lol

Yea I knew I wasn't Gumby, but I thought I had ok flexibility. So he has me doing a lot of stretching twice a day and today we did a lot of lower body strength training. (leg presses, calf raises all laying down on the machine) Then more stretches again performed by the PT.

He also showed me how to use the foam roller on my IT Band and said if I wanted to do that it would help also, but he did mention that it was very aggressive and he said in some cases it can cause more harm than good.

So I have tried the foam roller the last couple of nights and all I can says is OUHC!!!!! It hurts like you know what. For those that have used the foam rollers, how often did you use them and how many times did you roller up and down your leg? I can only handle 2-3 times on each leg and I have to stop as it hurts way too much.

The stretching routine is helping some but it is a pita to do them twice a day as they the entire routine takes me about 45-50 minutes. I usually can get the evening ones in without a problem, I just do them in the living room while watching tv, but in the morning I just can't seem to get them all done.

2007-12-27 7:31 PM
in reply to: #1119444

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Subject: RE: Use of Foam roller
Do the foam roller in the mornings, before any runs or rides and after, and in the evening - that is what my trainer started for me.  Yes, they will hurt, but after two weeks you will be up to 4 to 6 and in a month 10 to 12.  My massage therapist tells me the same - especially after runs.
2007-12-27 7:39 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
It will definitely start to hurt less if you do it regularly. Do what you can 2x a day and just increase it at your own rate. It still hurts me once I get to 5-6 but it used to hurt like he$$ on just 1....

good luck and I do think it works really well (with all of the other stretches) for IT probs
2007-12-28 1:26 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
I usually do it about 15 times each leg, in the morning before working out and at night before going to bed, hurt like He** the first few times, but now I have goten used to it it's not too bad. Plus I haven't had any recurrence of last winter's ITB problems despite nearly doubling my training volume.
2007-12-28 6:28 AM
in reply to: #1119839

Champion
South Jersey

Yep, just keep using it and eventually you will build your tolerance to it (and your ITB will get better so it'll hurt less). Too much pain can counterproductive anyway....but don't be afraid to let it hurt .

As for the stretches, yes an hour and a half a day is a lot, but do what you can. If you can only get in the full stretch routine once during the day, don't be hesitant to stretch here and there throughout the day.

2007-12-28 6:37 AM
in reply to: #1119875

Champion
South Jersey

Also, don't hesitate to try some skin rolling either. You'll grab a pinch of skin between your fingers (like your thumb on one side and the other four fingers, on the other side. Start on the hamstring side of the ITB and "roll" the skin across the ITB up toward the quad side.

Also, massage the hip area a bit. If you're able to loosen the ITB a bit up by the hip, it could could help eliminate some of that pain you have when you go down the ITB. That might be difficult to do on your own, though. Feel free to let someone do it for you, and really let them get in there with their forearms, etc.

Good luck .

2007-12-28 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the replies everyone. I knew that starting out it most likely would hurt a lot, but I wanted to make sure that it was the "good" pain and not the bad pain.

I am going to stick with it and just keep doing as much as I can each day. I am hoping things will start going better and that I can get back to running in a couple of weeks. Swimming is fun and all, but man I miss running and my bike...

2007-12-28 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
i was also told that when rolling your IT band, when you find a "hot spot" - a spot that really hurts when you roll over it - to pause the roller there for about 20 seconds (or as long as you can stand it). i think that triggers some sort of tension release for the area.
2007-12-28 8:35 AM
in reply to: #1119979

User image

massachusetts

You could also lessen up on the amount of pressure by lifting your hip up a little, and then work toward putting your full weight down. 

Good luckLaughing

2007-12-28 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1120013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sammie1 - 2007-12-28 9:35 AM

You could also lessen up on the amount of pressure by lifting your hip up a little, and then work toward putting your full weight down.

Good luckLaughing

Yea I have been having to put more weight on my arms and not have my legs completely off the ground also in order to get through it right now. I have only done the roller a couple of times so far but that was what my plan was. Once it gets loosened up I am sure it won't hurt as much and I will be able to put more pressure on it.

It is funny because my son who plays soccer uses them all the time at school before working out. He walked in the living room the other night and saw me using it. He saw me wincing in pain and moaning and he started to laugh at me and said "Suck it up better cup!" Nice kid....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Use of Foam roller Rss Feed