General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel upgrades Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-28 2:00 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: Wheel upgrades

I am looking for advice on wheel upgrades. I already own a fairly decent set of wheels. They are real design 40s. Does anyone know if a set of  wheels like Jet 90s or HED3s would translate to a significant increase in speed? Does anyone have a link to test data that might give me a better idea? I'm pretty content with the wheels I have, but have some Christmas $$ to blow at the LBS. Most of my riding is in a pretty hilly area. The 40s made a significant difference and was wondering if a step up would be as noticeable.

2007-12-28 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1119845

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Wheel upgrades

Significant increase in speed?  Depends on your definition of significant.  I have an aero wheelset, a training wheelset and a climbing wheelset.  I don't think the aero set offers a significant increase in speed, but over all offers "some" increase.  I personally haven't measured the differences.  I've read tons of literature on this topic and from what I've heard there are several other cheaper improvements you can make that make a bigger difference in speed increases, for example an aero helmet. 

Comparitavely aero wheels make less of a speed improvement as other things, like bike position, fitness level, close-fitting jersey, helmet etc.  But if you have the $$$$ to spend why not buy a set of race wheels.  There's worse things to spend money on.

For specifics in speed increases I'd visit the HED web site.  They've studied aero benefits for many years.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel upgrades Rss Feed