General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stationary vs. recumbent Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-19 1:26 AM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: stationary vs. recumbent
As its starting to get too cold to bike outdoors, I'm starting to make the switch to a stationary bike. If they're all taken at the gym, is the recumbent bike a viable alternative? It seems like it would work different muscles and therefore be counter productive, but I really don't know. And what about regular stationary vs. a real bike? How beneficial is it and would it be worth it to buy one of those indoor trainer things?

2004-11-19 2:08 AM
in reply to: #84463

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: stationary vs. recumbent

If a stationary bike is your only alternative, then it's viable. Certainly you'd want to try to get onto an upright stationary or even better, your own bike on a trainer.

I've had to train several times (actually more often than that - and on one all week for the next 2) on a recumbent, but I'd rather do that than nothing at all. I think it is more difficult to keep up cadence, and my glutes and hip flexors burn much more. I am also more congnizant of an even pedal stoke when on a recumbent.

I'm of the opinion that it won't be counterproductive to train on a recumbent OCCASIONALLY, as it works the same muscles differently.

I'd be interested in hearing someone say why it is counterproductive.

2004-11-19 1:10 PM

User image

Master
I ride the recumbent bike at the gym too, but mostly because I can not handle the HUGE seat they put on the upright bikes. It seems like no mater how smooth I try to peddle I bounce on those bikes. Best bet is of course your own bike in a trainer but if that isn’t an option for you I don’t see how the recumbent bike is hurting you any.

I don’t know about your gym but the bikes we ride in spin classes are really nice, they have clipless peddles and regular road bike seats... If you haven’t tried a spin class you may want to check that out too...
2004-11-19 4:38 PM
in reply to: #84697

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
I'm with pigpen - I would ride the recumbent bike (if I had to). The upright bikes don't seem to be very adjustable and I don't feel like my position is even close to being correct . . . and the seat. Oh the seat. Enough said. Anyway . . . it seems like I'm able to get my knee position to better mimic that on my bike with the recumbent, and since I have knee problems, that's important to me. The biggest problem with recumbents is that it's very hard to have a round pedal stroke and you mostly tend to just push down on the pedals. I mostly run into this problem when I travel and go to hotel workout rooms. I have a stationary trainer that I have set up in the basement. Best $$ I ever spent.
--Stacie

Edited by luv2ride 2004-11-19 4:40 PM
2004-11-19 6:00 PM

Champion

Try a spinning class like pigpen suggests...the ones at our club are great.  Take a few tape measure dimensions of your road set-up and bring your tape to the gym so you can adjust the spinning bike to suit.  You should have:

1.  Distance from nose of saddle behind the crank axle

2.  Distance from crank axle to saddle top, measuring along the seat post line

3.  Distance from saddle nose to handlebar

4.  Height of handlebars below (or above) seat

That should get you in the ballpark.  Most spinning bikes have Shimano SPD pedal systems.

2004-11-19 6:27 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

If I had to choose, I would pick the stationary bike.  When you are on the recumbent, you use different muscles - more glute action. 

but, to mix it up now and then, I do use the recumbent

2004-11-20 12:39 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Max...measuring the road bike is a great suggestion, thanks!  Altho I don't think I could get the spin bikes to match my roadie, our spin bikes just have too long a reach in the arms and aren't adjustable. 

I tend to think any workout is better than none at all, but the recumbent just hurts my back.  My old chiro who was also an IM distance triathlete said they were evil too.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stationary vs. recumbent Rss Feed