BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Shanks' Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-28 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: Andrew Shanks' Group - Closed
NAME: Shanks, Andrew

STORY: Hello, I’m Andrew Shanks a 23, soon to be 24, year old Senior at West Virginia University. I am a Sports Management Major and a Communications Minor. I started the WVU Tri Club and I DJ at the College Radio Station… what can I say I love music. Why do I Triathlon? Because it was my sister’s idea. Yet it was the best idea she’s had to date! I love the day in and day out training, the interesting people you meet at races, how open everyone in the sport is when it comes to helping out newcomers and anyone who may have a question. Also now that I’ve done a few seasons I can’t live without it. It’s become more than just a sport for fun, it’s become my lifestyle.

FAMILY STATUS: I am single

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently building up for Ironman Arizona, the April one, so I’m doing a lot of base work at the moment and about to enter my Bike focus month.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This past year I’ve done races in Nebraska, Colorado, New Jersey, Virginia, and New York. I placed in my AG a few times but there is still much work to be done…mostly on the bike.

2008 RACES: Shamrock Half Marathon, Ironman Arizona (April), Collegiate Nationals, Ironman Louisville… More to come after I find out where I’ll be living after May. My training goals for this year are to hit 350,000 yards swimming, 3000 miles biking, and 750 miles running.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have shaved 10 lbs since starting my Triathlon Career. My Current weight is around 150.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I may be new to the sport but I have picked up a lot of experience along the way. I have a lot of knowledge I’d love to pass on to others by answering your questions and inspiring you in anyway I can. I have also attended a USAT Level 1 coaching clinic and will become certified as soon as I send in the papers. I have come to love this sport and I want you to get the same joy out of it as I do. I check out BT a lot and keep up with all the friends I have made here so far, as long as recruiting others to join. I’ll be able to check blogs at least once every other day and the thread just as much. I’m a college kid so I have the time on my hands and would honored to help out fellow triathletes develop.

Edited by Shanks 2008-01-18 10:34 PM

2008-01-03 7:44 PM
in reply to: #1121455

User image

Subject: RE: Andrew Shanks' Group - Open
Hey Andrew,

I am a 21 year old college student living in Pittsburgh, PA. I am currently a CAT 3 cyclist but had to take this past year off of the bike due to a concussion. Now I am feeling fresh and I am ready to start training for triathlons. I am in need of some guidance as far as training and basic knowledge of the sport is concerned.

-Sam Kessler
2008-01-03 11:25 PM

User image

Regular
Rowan University - Health & Exercise Science Major
Hello Andrew,

My name is Kieran and i'm a fellow college student, studying Health and Exercise Science with a Certification for teaching, at Rowan University in New Jersey.

I am what my parents call me a born runner. Running comes extremely natural to me. I just did my first run in five years, yesterday, a 5k at 21 minutes. (hovering around a 6:50 mile pace--o and did i mention it was really windy and 30 degrees outside haha) Like i said running comes extremely easy to me (my step dad hates it). While off from running the past five years, cycling became my thing to do in the warmer months, but never got into racing, just rode alot with my uncle and his cycling team. Again this comes fairly easy to me. My difficult part of a tri will be the swim without a doubt. This is where i believe the most effort i will have to put forward.

Right now i am trying to read up on as much information i can about training, but help from someone like yourself would be an excellent tool for me!

I'll give you some more information...

I'm 5'6" and 130 lbs. 23 year old male. My goals for this 2008 tri season would be to compete in sprints throughout the season, and possible end with one or a few Olympic tris. I honeslty feel that i could start with an Olympic tri, but i want to be smart about this rather then getting in over my head. As for longterm goals, i would like to compete in a full ironman.

O yea and im an extremely competitive person, which means that i will want to put my best effort forward, looking to have the opportunity to place in the events i enter!

Look forward to hopefully having you as a mentor!

Thanks, Kieran
2008-01-03 11:47 PM

hello everyone!
My name is Erica and I'm 19 - 20 at the end of the month! I'm a fellow college student - a sophomore in Erie, PA. I'm pretty new to all things triathalon. In high school I competitively figure skated and play soccer year round. I ran track one season, but I have back injuries that kept me from feeling competitive and interested in the sport. Once I came to school last year and had no skating or soccer goals and no coach to keep me on track I let things slide. Around December last year I began running, mainly on treadmills.

I currently run about six days a week and am trying to ween myself of the treadmill into the Great Outdoors. On the treadmill I run roughly an 8 minute mile, although it varies day to day. I also am a certified Pilates instructor, teaching 3 days a week. I still skate once a week for fun and having been going to spinning classes 2 or 3 times a week.

I have always been a natural athlete, so I have a feeling that with the right training I can get the hang of the sport. I have been thinking about doing triathalons for about 3 years. Never seriously because I never knew where to began. My cousin recently told me about a Sprint Triathalon he was going to do and I knew that I needed to get myself motivated. I plan on doing just one (baby steps, right?) in the middle of July and seeing how things go from there.

I need all the beginner advice I can get - especially with swimming. I don't have access to a pool here at school. I am only going to have from the middle of May up until the race on July 12th to train for swimming. I have never formally learned to swim, although I am not bad at it. I am worried that I won't have enough time to train and learn the correct form that I need.

I have a hundred more questions that I'm sure you'll be able to help me with!
Thanks so much, can't wait for loads of advice.
2008-01-04 5:01 AM

User image

NAME & AGE: Hi my name is Daragh. I've just turned 30 and live in Dublin, Ireland. I'm married, but only since Aug '07 so no kids yet.

I'd love to join your group if there is still room, here's my details...

STORY: I've did my first triathlon (sprint) back in 2003, but last year was my first full season of training and racing. My main race last year was the Half Ironman in the UK. I thought I was going to go alright after following the 20 week plan on this site, but I got my nutrition plan all wrong on the bike, blew up on the run and finished in 7hrs flat (I was more than a little disappointed).

My background in sport is in rugby. I've played since I was 5 and had 10 years at the top level here in Ireland, including 12 international appearances at university level. However 2 years ago the optician told me that I'd torn the retinas in both my eyes from playing and had to stop.

When I finished playing rugby I weighed about 230lbs (I am 5' 10"), I'm now down at about 210lbs but hope to race this year at 190lbs. My main race this year is the Half Ironman in Monaco (September), with one eye possibly on Clearwater if I can achieve a good time. I will also race several sprint and olympic distances starting in May.

Swimming is my strongest of the 3 disciplines I think, followed by the bike and then the run. However I'm looking to get all the advice that I can on these - as well as nutrition obviously!!

Currently I am easing myself back into training after 8 weeks of only swimming due to some bruised bones in my knee - which happened during an accident playing touch rugby!! I'm wondering what the best approach would be to training and following plans? There are 36 weeks to the race in Monaco and I had toyed with the idea of a 20 week plan followed by the 16 week intermediate HIM plan on this site. Any advice?

Thanks and look forward to sharing ideas and thoughts with you all over the coming weeks and months.

Daragh
2008-01-04 4:36 PM

New user

Columbus, OH
Hey Andrew and all,

If there's still room in this group, I would love to join. My name is Matt Woerman, and I am another fellow student - 23-year old grad student at The Ohio State University. I have kinda thought it would be fun to tri for a couple years now, but just finally decided to make it a reality. Here's a little background about me:

Back in high school I was a three-sport athlete, so I had to stay quite fit throughout most of the year. During college, however, I slowly put on weight until I finally got up to about 250 lbs - I'm 6' tall. Over the last couple of years I have managed to get back down to about 205 lbs and now feel much better and healthier. But I've gotten to the point where I want to work toward something other than just my own weight and health goals, so I figured triathlons would be a great way to continue to motivate myself and have a goal to work toward.

I normally ride my bike to commute to campus at least four days a week, which is about a three mile ride, and I try to run at least three miles three or more days a week, so I feel all right about my abilities in those areas. I have never been much of a swimmer though, so I am pretty worried about becoming proficient in the water.

I am looking at trying to do the Miami (OH) sprint tri on April 19, and then a few more shorter tris throughout the summer - I just don't know where I'll be this summer, so don't know where to look for them. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions about everything, so thanks in advance!

2008-01-04 9:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RE: Andrew Shanks' Group - Closed
What up guys and gals,

Glad to see the responce and a nice college crowd out there. I'll be getting back to all of you within the next day or two with a PM, since its getting close to 11 and I have a 12 mile run with the sunrise.

Since its my first time Mentoring I'll cut it off with you 5, don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Rock Out,
Shanks
2008-01-05 8:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Hello All,

I have just sent you all some PM's that should be in your inbox... if you don't know how to get there, as most of you are new to the site, its in the top left corner of your training log, right below where it says how many users are online.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P31XJ16C4Ag

Alot of you said swimming is your weak point, so above is a link to a video of Ian Thrope, and Aussie (retired) Olympian, doing some freestyle swim stuff. Check out that video along with others that he does to check out proper swimming form.

Also if you have a Master's Swimming program in your area, you can check www.usms.org, or one with your school I'd suggest joining it so someone can watch you swim directly and help you out the best.

Shanks
2008-01-06 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran
You all are going to Like Shanks. He is a very nice guy. Good Luck with your training Everyone.

Edited by newadventures 2008-01-06 8:55 PM
2008-01-08 10:33 AM

User image

word up, replied to PM
2008-01-08 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Here are some instructions on how to add a "friend" so you can check out their blog by having an icon on your screen... Also how to kind of use the Inspire feature... aka writting on yours or my wall.

1) next to the calender there will be some icons under the words "quick links"

2) click on the first icon that'll say "Control Pannel" when you put your mouse over it. This is where you can control a lot of the settings on your blog so play around.

3) Click on the "Friends" Tab and then enter "Shanks" under Friend 1, or whatev.

4) scroll to the bottom and accept, then underneath your 2008 totals you'll see my name, that has a link on it. Click on my name and it'll take you to my blog where you can see all of my workouts and write in my "inspire" section. haha

anymore questions feel free to ask!

2008-01-09 2:30 AM
in reply to: #1142722

User image

Hey All,

This morning I did a long swim session and at the end of the second 1000m set I did some running in the pool to simulate the run from swim to T1, but was still a little light headed. I've been told that you can kick harded towards the end of the swim to combat this, but it doesn't seem to be working completely. Any suggestions?

Ta,
Daragh
2008-01-09 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1144434

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
hmmm pool running, interesting way to try that.

The only thing I've heard of is to just kick a little harder for the last 100 to get the blood flowing, but other than that its going to be tough standing and running after laying flat for a while. I usually will kick then when I stand I'll shake my head a bit to get the cobwebs out and just stumble around till my land legs come back.

Shanks
2008-01-13 8:15 PM

User image

Canfield, Ohio
Hey Mountaineer...

I am a 25 year old aspiring teacher and coach from youngstown ohio. The weather is awful, but it keeps me motivated.

I guess you can say i am new to this Triathlon thing. I did a couple Olympic Tri's this past summer for my first time, and i loved them. I played football in college and when that ended I needed some type of passion to fulfil that competitive edge that was still in me, so i started to run. Three marathons later i feel like i can conquer it all.

I have only signed up for one event in 2008, the Forida 70.3 Ironman. Although i am sure there is more to come in the year. My Ultimate goal is to end up in Kona, the dream of all dreams.

Thanks for being a mentor......

A.J.
2008-01-14 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1144817

User image

Hey All,

Have been trying to plan out my season over the weekend and am a little stuck. There are some nice races (Olympic distance) that I'd like to do, but I think that they might be too close to my HIM at the end of the summer. What sort of time should to take off racing before a HIM? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daragh
2008-01-14 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1154536

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Time off or Time where you're just focusing on your HIM?

I'd say Oly's are good for speed work and pushing your threshold. But I'd stay clear the last 3 weeks before you HIM so you can focus on a nice build up and taper for the race.

Shanks

2008-01-16 9:28 AM

User image

What races is everyone planning to do this year?
2008-01-16 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1159293

User image

Hey Samuel, Here's the list of races that I'm hoping to do this summer (places won't mean much to you as they are mostly in Ireland, but the distances are here too)....

27th Jan Raheny 5 mile road race
End April Home made half ironman!!
4th May Olympic Joey Hannon
18th May Sprint Fingal
31st May Olympic Athy
28th June Olympic Hell of the West
12th July Olympic Athlone
3rd Aug Sprint Dublin
9th Aug Olympic Mullingar
7th Sept Ironman 70.3 Monaco
11th Nov Ironman 70.3 Clearwater (Depending on Monaco!! )

What about everyone else?

Daragh
2008-01-16 10:55 PM

Hi Andrew,

I am Scott and wish to join your group if you think I will fit in with your younger group.
I think you have five people so I understand if you are full and have not closed your group yet.

I am 46 yo and was into Triathlon big in 2005. I was new to the sport then and met a Ironman competitor. We started training together and guess what on April 21, 2006 I got injuried. IT band problem. Probably as bad as it can get.

I think I am back and able to train but the knee will never be the same.

Never the less I really love the lifestyle and the people involved with it so I will continue to tri.

So Let me know,

Scott
2008-01-18 8:00 PM

New user

room for one more? i'm a newbie. ex 300 pounder . now about 193 lbs. 41 years old, married,no kids. a boxer and 2 standard poodle pups. sprint in june olympicin july maybe. louisville august. i could use all the support i can get. did my first no stop 2800 meter in pool today. best 10k 42 min. and change. best century under 6 hrs

Edited by lambertppdgl 2008-01-18 8:38 PM
2008-01-21 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Happy Martin Luther King day everyone!! I hope you all are enjoying your day off from normal life activities...for those who celebrate the day that is.

Anybody doing some epic training today since there's no school/office? I'm taking the day off haha.

Shanks

2008-01-29 3:17 AM
in reply to: #1167518

User image

Have already had to scratch my first race of the year...bloody mates and their weddings!! Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Not to worry, there's another one here in Ireland a couple of weeks after towards the end of May and it's a long season anyway!!

2008-03-08 8:09 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Shanks' Group - Closed Rss Feed