of 3

2008-01-27 6:36 PM
in reply to: #1126063

User image

New user

Fort Collins, CO
Subject: RE: Eric's 2008 Group - Closed

Hi all,

Training for me has been a bit slow for the last couple of weeks. The cold weather here makes it basically impossible to do anything outside...I can't wait until it warms up and I don't have to be inside all the time! I'm glad to hear a few of you say that you find running outside to be easier than on the treadmill. It's been difficult for me to get motivated to run on the treadmill at all, and I'm hoping that I will be able to make more progress once it's nice enough to get outside.

I also wanted to get some advice about the value of a good road bike. Right now all I own is a mountain bike that weighs a ton, and I don't think it's at all practical for a tri. My brother has an old road bike but it's not in very good shape, so I don't know how useful that would be either. I'm on a really tight budget (I am a poor college student, after all) and I can't afford to buy a new bike, but I'm hoping I might be able to find one used. What features should I be looking for that will make a bike useful but not horribly expensive?

2008-01-29 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran

I started Tri's with an old mountain bike. Then I indulged in a Fuji Aloha tri bike. Fuji Aloha

Like you I didn't know what to get. So with a budget of $1500 I went to the local bike store, it's really local, and saw a few bikes and ended up with the Fuji. I think the most important thing is to have a budget that you should stick to and get a good sales/technician at the store who will size you up and give you a good fitting. I came away with some change from my $1500, even with the  accessories (computed, pedals, shoes). The owner of the LBS was an olympic cyclist so he was really good and took me for a ride so that he could see that I was comfortable.

Once you get the bike you need to practice too. I had never used clipless pedals so that was a little bit of fun to get used to. The first real ride I went on I fell as I had unclipped the wrong side. All part of the experience.

2008-01-30 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1181705

hey Everyone,
Just checking in. How are everyone's weeks going? Madeline- I wish I could give you some bike advice, but I'm in the same boat as you. Rich- your bike looks cool! I still haven't gotten around to trying out the Fuji.

I'm having a good workout week, although I'm exhausted. I think I overdid it last week. I ran on Saturday and still have shin splints. I am trying to run 1x a wekk outside. I knew I overdid it but didn't think I'd still be hurting. I also got new running shoes and I'm not happy I got shin splints using them. Hopefully it's an overtraining issue and nothing else. I'm going to have to force myself to take it slow. I'm so bad at that. I'd say if I make one constant mistake in my training, it's pushing to hard too soon.

I'm considering a June sprint which would change my workout plans drastically. I really want to get a tri under my belt before August and it would be a great opportunity. The run is on a trail though and I'm not crazy about that. My in-laws will be here so my husband and I will both be able to do it. That is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm sure will never happen again! It would be interesting having us both do our first tri at the same time. I'll keep everyone posted.

Lisa

2008-02-10 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran

So, how is everyong doing? Not many updates lately, so I thought I would bump the thread up to the top of the list.

I have been following my training plan fairly well. The swimming is getting better and the biking is not as boring as I thought it would be. The running has suffered a little this week due to the snow storms we have had and the hard running conditions outside. I don't like the TM, so will always run outside if possible. Running in snow is like running on the beach, so when you run 5k, it feels like you have run 7k, but it also forces you to slow down, which is a good thing.

How is everone elses training going? Any races signed up for yet?

2008-02-12 9:05 AM

Rich
Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are making it through the winter well and will be more than ready when spring comes.

I'm still not following an official program. I'm not swimming but am running and doing the stationary bike. I also weight train 2-3 times a week. I have no upper body strenght. My idea was to try to build a good base before starting a program. I need to drop some weight, but that's not happening. Hopefully when the training hits full force it will take care of itself.

I bought a bike- a Team Fuji. I thought I was going to get a womens Fuji Finast but it didn't fit well and the one I bought was on a major sale. It's probably too much bike for me, but I'm hoping I love this and will continue to do tri's after my first one. I've already fallen because I didn't unclip the pedal fast enough. (I was trying to clip my left pedal in and overcompensated- falling to the right.) Hopefully I've gotten that out of the way and it won't happen again.

Lisa
2008-02-13 7:06 AM

User image

Veteran

Hi Lisa,

That's a nice bike. I'm sure that you will find it faster than your old bike. Not to worry about the falls. It happens and is one of those things. I have done the same thing a few times and you just have to laugh it off. As long as you don't hurt yourself, that is the main thing.

That's a good idea to build a good base. Dropping weight will happen over time. I have the same issue. It's also a matter of eating the right stuff. There are articles here that can help with that too.

It's early in the year, so build your base and most of all enjoy the process. If you don't enjoy it, you won't be able to stick to it.

2008-02-20 9:38 PM

User image

New user

Fort Collins, CO

Hi all,

It's been awfully quiet around here! Hopefully that means everyone's been out getting lots of good workouts in instead of sitting in front of the computer like me

I went for my first outdoor run of the year last weekend - it was a little windy but still far more enjoyable than running on the treadmill! I still can't go very far without getting tired, but it's definitely easier outside than at the gym. Other than that, my workouts have been sort of scattered...I was doing well with the swimming until classes started up again and now I feel like I have no time. I have been making it to yoga once a week though, and I've found that it's really helping with a lot of things (balance, strength, breathing), so hopefully that will transfer over into the rest of my training.

Hope everyone else's training is going well!

2008-02-22 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran

Hi All,

It has been quiet here. I have been fairly dilligent with my training so far. Still not great at the swim, but since I have started to swim 3 times a week, I feel I am improving. The running is also improving. Was out last night for 90 minutes and completed almost 14k (slower due to really icy sidewalks), but felt great. Temperature was -10C with windchill of -16C, so cold, but bearable. I noticed, when I was talking to my neighbour after finishing that my mouth wouldn't work properly, but other than that was good. My bike riding is also going well, have gotten into a routine of watching TV or DVD when riding. Can't wait to get outside again though. Maybe at the end of March of early April.

Just over on week until my first 1/2 Marathon race of the season, so looking forward to completing that race, although no PB's anticipated, just using it as a training run.

Hope everyone is doing well.

2008-03-29 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran

Hope everyone is going ok. Haven't heard from anyone for month. I did my 1/2 at the beginning of March. Went ok, you can read the race report by clicking on the races icons below. I have also complete a 10 mile race on Good Friday and got a PB for the 10 mile distance. Then this weekend is Around the Bay 30K road race. Looking forward to that race being over.

My 1/2IM training is progressing. I will be restarting the 20 weeks plan in April so that it finishes in time for the 1/2IM race in September.

Hope you are all doing well, and are finally going to be able to get outside with the weather improving and that the training is going well.

2008-05-20 6:33 AM

User image

Veteran

Well, did my first multisport race yesterday. Victoria's Duathlon. Check out the race report. Was a brutal day, with some rain and strong winds and cold. But was a character builder that's for sure. Was to good to be done though.

How is everyone else doing?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eric's 2008 Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 3