BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eric's 2008 Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-01-01 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Eric's 2008 Group - Closed
Just a little bit about me.

I started in triathlon in May 2007. I was a very active person in high school and college. Play football, lacrosse, baseball, basketball and even wrestled a bit. After high school and college family life took over and I did what a lot of folks typically do. I got a bit lazy and stopped taking care of myself. Though I never gained a lot of weight, I was horribly out of shape. We started working out in our home gym in 2006 and sometime in April of 2007 I decided I needed something to turn my energy to and some way to see what if any progress my fitness has had.

So I found BT with a small search and then I struggled with telling my wife I wanted to do a triathlon. At the time that told her I didn't own a bike nor a pair of running shoes. I hadn't run any further than maybe from the mall to the car in parking lot when it was cold or raining. My wife gave me all the support in the world and I signed up for my first triathlon that would be in August 2007. I still hadn't purchased my bike or running shoes yet, but the date was set.

From there the rest is history as they say. I completed two Sprint distance tris in 2007 and I also completed the 2007 National Duathlon held in Mason, Ohio.

For 2008 I have some lofty goals for myself. I am going to be doing my first Olympic distance races and then at the end of August I will return to the same location that I did my 2nd ever triathlon and do my first HIM.

Staying motivated during those early weeks of training are critical and I look forward to helping you out with that. My first season isn't to far removed and I surely remember what that was like.

Edited by EABonney 2008-01-09 8:06 PM

2008-01-06 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1126063

New user

Subject: RE: Eric's 2008 Group - Open
hi eric,
my name is karen and i am registered to do my first sprint tri this aug. i have played competitive tennis for many years and started running 3 years ago. i have done many 5k's, 10k's, a couple 10 milers and 2 marathons (outer banks and lake tahoe). i am ready to tackle the challenge of a tri. like you didn't, i do not have a real bike (just an $80 sears bike that is 8 yrs old) but have many running shoes. i work at the YMCA so i can get training in pretty easy. i do however have another job and 3 kids (only 2 are at home- 1 at college). i just started swimming at the pool and that will be my biggest challenge. I also need some insight as to buying a bike - i can't spend huge amounts on it so i need a decent but cheap one- i'll just bring duct tape to the race. i live in PA so we do have some weather issues.
2008-01-06 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Karen!

Hope everything is going well and congrats on making the choice to complete a tri!

When it comes to a bike I can tell you that at the Sprints that I did this past summer I saw all sorts of bikes. I saw really expensive tri bikes and I saw folks riding mountain bikes and just your typical 10 speed bike. While this isn't the most efficient way to do the bike portion, you can easily complete it with whatever you have.

If you want to get a road or tri bike, you have a lot of different options.

1. Check you LBS and see what they have, if anything, in the used department.
2. Check ebay or Craiglist in your area to see what is available.

I am still riding my Trek 1000 and I got it pretty cheap, in comparision to most tri specific bikes. You could also always just start your training with the bike that you have and see if that will get you through for now.

Have you picked out any races yet? What distance are you going to start out with?

Well welcome to BT, be sure to read through some of the Archives and/or do a search for your bike questions. There is a ton of information here on the site!

Also, pick a training program and then get started. You are going to have a blast and you could not have come to a better site.

2008-01-07 8:07 AM

Regular
Hi I’m John 30yrs old, currently working full time and training for an Olympic distance triathlon by the end of the year. I started triathlon in 2005 and have since done 4 Olympics and 4 Sprint triathlons.
My best Olympic time is 2:22 (Swim 0:25, Cycle: 1:05, Run: 0:47) and best sprint was 1:05 (with a 400m swim). I was well on the way to entering my 1st ½ Ironman. Then last year we had our 1st child and I’m afraid all the training stopped so I haven’t done much in the last 15 months and now I’d like to get back into it again.

When I 1st decided to do triathlon (I don’t remember why) I found Beginner Triathletes that helped me a lot in the beginning. I’d like to join the group to help motivate me. To know someone is “watching me” might encourage me to keep training. Knowing I’m much slower than I used to be and I’m not yet back into a routine is making it hard for me to keep motivated at the moment. Also I’m hoping to come back better at running so any advice with this is very welcome.

In 2005 I was not in shape at all. I couldn’t swim more than 100yrds without being exhausted. This was the biggest hurdle for me but in the end I grew to really enjoy it and now I can (could) swim over 3000yrds in a training session. I’d I’ll try to help the others and share my experiences of swimming. Cycling is my strongest event but I don’t know how much help I can give with this except to put the miles in and it’ll all come together oh and spinning is EXCELLENT training.
2008-01-07 6:36 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi Eric, and the rest of the group,

I started to change my life around at the beginning of 2005 by losing about 50lbs and then taking up running. I have run completed nearly 50 races since then not very fast, but I really enjoy them. I have done most distances, including one full marathon (5hrs 57m due to IT Band injury) and about 9 1/2 marathons. My 1/2 marathon PB is 2hrs 5m.

In 2006 I did a couple of Try a tri's and a couple of Sprints and got hooked. In 2007 my goal was to do an olympic distance, but it turned into a duathlon due to weather issues on the swim, but I still completed it in 3hrs. My swim is my weakest event.

This year, as I turn 50 next week, I have already commited to a 1/2IM in September and today have just started the 20 week 1/2IM training plan from this site. I figured I would do the 20 weeks to build a good base and then restart the 20 weeks again for the lead up to the big race. I also have commited doing a 1/2 marathon at the beginning of March and a 30k race at the end of March and another 30k in august. So I think my running should be ok.

I look forward to being a part of this group, if you will have me and getting some motivation from everyone and hopefully I can help motivate in turn?

2008-01-08 11:44 AM

Hi Eric and everyone else!

My name is Lisa and I'm a 37 year old stay at home mother of 4. I'm signed up to do my first sprint tri in August (Iron Girl Columbia). I don't own a bike and am not a good swimmer, but I love to run. I was competitive in sports in high school and college and started running after my second baby. I've run all sorts of distances, the longest being the Marine Corps Marathon in 2002. It was super hard (I did it in 4:40 and later found out I was pregnant with #3). I've battled a string of injuries since then and think it might be time to cross train. I must say though that I do have another marahon in me. I just missed Oprah's time and feel the need to beat her. (Did I mention that I'm competitive?)

I work out 5-6 times a week but don't really have a plan that I follow. My thought right now is that I'll try to drop a few pounds this winter and get into a specific training plan in the spring. I want to continue running short races while I'm training for the tri. I don't own a bike so I need to work on that one. Like I said, I'm not a good swimmer, but my husband bought me the Total Immersion book and video for Christmas. I hope it helps me- a lot.

I'm really excited to try something new. I'm predicting that I'm going to love doing tri's (assuming I get the swim thing down). I wish I had more to offer this group but I'm a true newbie. It was great reading everyones stories

2008-01-08 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Limerick, Ireland
Hi Everybody/ Dia Dhuit as Eireann

I'm 29 years old and living in Ireland - I've always admired people doing triathlons but until now didn't really have the courage to try it myself.
My sports background is not really impressive - I did some swimming in college (5 years - compulsory PE) and got involved in fitness in 2005 (for about 8 months) but that's about it- so yes I'm a real newbie

My Achilles' heel is definitely running and I have to work on my weight a bit. I've downloaded a 22-week programme for beginners and this is what I intend to follow.

I'm really excited about my training and I hope I'll be able to contribute at least a little bit to the group.

Jo
2008-01-08 7:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome Everyone to the group!

Looks like things are shaping up pretty quick here. I am going to hold out for a couple more days just to see if we can get 1 or 2 more folks into the group.

Looks like we have a pretty good array of people here and I am really looking forward to getting to know everyone better over the course of the coming months leading into the race season.

Has anyone firmed up any of their racing schedule yet for next season? Has anyone picked out a training schedule yet?

My race schedule seems to be firming up pretty well. I need to make a decision really quick here about what I am doing with my first 2-3 races. I would love to do the National Duathlon in Richmond, VA AND the Memphis Tri, but I am not sure that the schedule is going to permit both of these races. Other than that the rest of the race is set. I will be doing the Wheelie for Fun Series that is 6 races around Ohio and doing my first HIM at the end of August.

For those that are beginning your first season of training, you might be wondering "Can I really do this?" Well I can tell you for sure that you can do it! I was just like you last May when I decided to do my first Tri. I was so scared to even mention it to my family that I waited a couple of weeks before I brought it up to my wife. One of the things that really helped me, besides this site, was once I decided I was going to do the tri, I quickly picked out a race and signed up. Even before I had any of my equipment. Once I signed up I told all my friends and family that I was going to be doing a Triathlon during the summer. I know that sounds crazy, but kept me motivated all spring long. Why? I had already put myself out there and I surely didn't want to have all my family asking me how the race went and have to tell them I chickened out and didn't do it.

The other thing it did was I had some friends and family that would always tell me there is no way I could do this. They would always ask me when I was going to give this up and do something else? Every time I was out on a tough run or bike, I would keep those comments in mind and I so wanted to prove them wrong!

If you guys think about it, let's add everyone to our each others friends list. That will make it easier for us all to check in with each other and leave comments and encouragement.

Good luck folks and stay focused on the end!
2008-01-09 4:06 PM

User image

Veteran

Hello All,

I forgot to mention that I reside in Toronto, Ontario, Canada so when it comes to winter workouts, they are mostly done in doors. Except I do get out side for my runs (I hate the dreadmill).

As for the training plan that I am currently following it is the beginner 1/2IM found at the following link http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=52

I agree with Eric that signing up for races is a great motivator. I have found that with my running as well as the tri's that I have done. If I have a race I'll work harder than if I don't have a race.

As for equipment I did my first couple of Tri's on an inherited mountain bike. It worked out fine and was a great way to try out the sport without spending too much $.

Hope everyone's training plans are coming together.

2008-01-09 7:40 PM

New user

hi all... hoping to join you!

Brief 'about me': Name is Wendy...I'm a member of that awful cliched group, attmepting a tri before I turn 40 (7 months away). One teenager at home, and for the remainder of the school year, a foreign exchange student (Germany). Work full time.

Ran my first road race in 2002, quickly followed by my first marathon (why go small?), the RNR in San Diego with Team in Training. (great experience) Lost about 60 pounds. Some injuries, some foot surgery, long recovery. Put back on some pounds. Have maintained a 'light' running regime, and find the dreadmill..though boring, much easier on my body...so have recently upped my time and mileage. Back to "racing" (I'm slow) 5K, 10K.

Started riding my bike (even worse than Karen... a WalMart $60 mountain bike) last Summer. Decided I might stick with it after a few months so upgraded in October to a Giant FCR1, a hybrid 'fitness' road bike. Really love it, not sure how it will be for the Tri.

Going to shoot for an Olympic distance, not so worried about the run, mildly worried about the bike, and extremely worried about the swimming....of which I do none at the moment. (well, I can swim, but never more than back to my water skis after I fall off....).

Rich, I'm across the Big Lake O from you in Rochester NY....so weather is always a challenge. I bought an indoor trainer for my bike, but can't seem to get the hang of it (I just don't like it much?) so I ride outside every chance I get.

Also, not really good at bulletin boards, etc...so may even need some tutoring on that front!

Anyway, hoping to hop on board if you'll have me!

Wendy
2008-01-09 8:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Wendy!

Of course we will have you in the group! First welcome to the board and to our 2008 group.

For starters I used to live in Northern NY for a all of my childhood, Carthage if you know where that is. I have some family that still live in Rochester and some friends that live there also.

First thing I would say about swimming is you need to get out there and start swimming. If you aren't comfortable with swimming, then take some lessons if you can, or check out the Total Immersion swimming books and DVDs. I did the book thing for a little while and it did help me get comfortable. I will say that it seems to enforce "slow" swimming, but for me right now that is ok. I just want to finish my swims in a decent time.

Check out some of the swim programs here that will get you started. Maybe take a look at the 8 week beginner swim program for the winter. If you can give it into the pool consistently for the next 4-6 weeks you will see major improvements. You can make the improvements. I can tell you that last year I was in the same situation. Take a look at my logs. I hated swimming and it shows in my logs. I didn't swim nearly enough to be ready for my two sprint tris and well that also shows in my race reports with two 25 minute swims for 750 and 800 yard swims.

Glad to have you here Wendy!

Edited by EABonney 2008-01-09 8:02 PM

2008-01-09 9:02 PM

New user

Subject: RE: Eric's 2008 Group - Closed
Excellent! Now tell me how to do the 'friends' thing?

AND I've been searching for a race to register for and can't find anything that fits, checked Active.com also, use that for runs, any other thoughts?! I figured the sooner I got it booked and set in stone, the better! grrrr.... oh, and told the hubby tonite my intentions...he's used to my impulses and pretty supportive so all is well.

re: swimming. I at LEAST got the local High School pool schedule!

Thanks!

W.
2008-01-09 9:20 PM

User image

New user

Fort Collins, CO
Hi all!
I realize that this group is now closed but I'm hoping that since it just got closed this evening you might consider taking on one more? If not that's cool too, I just discovered this site today and am finding that the number of open groups is very small...

Anyway, here's a little blurb about myself:
I'm 21 years old, born and raised in Fort Collins, CO. I'm a complete newbie to triathlons - I just decided last week that this is really something I want to do! Call it an extension of my new year's resolution to get in shape... I love to be outdoors but my range of activities is sadly limited; skiing in the winter and hiking in the summer, but that's really it. I'm trying to get into running but it's been a bit of a slow process. I was on my high school swim team but haven't really done any serious swimming since I graduated three years ago. I'm hoping that getting into triathlons will not only get me in shape but also give me a new adventure activity to enjoy. Hopefully this site will give me some good guidance along the way - I can certainly use it!

It'd be great if I could join this group but if not I'll keep looking...
2008-01-10 7:06 AM

User image

Veteran

Hi Wendy,

Welcome to the group. I now Rochester, have been there once I think. On a clear day you can see it from the CN tower. My nephew, who lived in Colorado Springs, is also currently on an exchange in Germany. He went last August and seems to be enjoying it, although has found the language has been a challenge.

As for your trainer, stick with it and it will become easier. I have a Tri bike (I splurged last year), and am still getting comfortable with riding in the Aero position (mostly because of an expanded gut that gets in the way). But hopefully will become more comfortable over the next few months.

Last night I did 10k run in 60 minutes and this morning was a 30 minute swim. The swim is still my most challenging event, but I have been diligently practicing bilateral breathing and it is getting a little easier.

Have a great day all,

2008-01-10 4:30 PM

New user

Rich, I know Toronto fairly well, I'm a sailor during the Summer and sail out of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club sometimes, and last year sailed a big regatta out of Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club. I stayed at a friends house in Greektown and had a blast.

Good job on your 10k run today, sounds like you run at about my pace. I ran 5K today in about 30 min. Not too fast, just slow and steady. I rode my bike outside, since it's still kind of mild here @ 40F, no wind. But once it gets bitter again, I'll try to be more patient with my trainer. I just don't have the hang of the shifter, I think.

I can see Lake Ontario from my dreadmill (facing North), so I'll think of you thru the tedium.

I'm having trouble finding an Olympic length tri to try. Any thoughts?

Wendy

2008-01-10 7:01 PM
in reply to: #1146588

New user

hi wendy,
i had a german exchange student and my daughter went over there (Geissen). i am not good with bulletin boards also. i bet my sears bike can kick your walmart bikes seat off. good luck with the training and 40 is not so bad - i had been it for 4 years now.
karen

2008-01-10 7:06 PM
in reply to: #1137411

New user

Our definite plans for races are- the richmond marathon in nov., broad str 10 miler in may, phillie 1/2 marathon(probably) and the sprint tri in columbia -THE IRONGIRL. i will get a pink shirt -what could be better? i will think about another tri or dualthon if the swimming training goes well. i am glad to be part of this group it looks like it will be a fun one.
karen
2008-01-10 7:12 PM
in reply to: #1142122

New user

lisa,
i will have to try to find you amongst the thousands at the iron girl. we CAN do this swim thing -there is no shame in the doggy paddle
karen

Edited by karenmc 2008-01-10 7:13 PM
2008-01-10 7:33 PM
in reply to: #1149116

New user

Karen,

Have found German exchange student to be fairly stubborn, but all in all a good experience. Not toooo worried about 40, just trying to make sure I'll be around for awhile? Trying to take care of the mortal shell?

I don't think I'd take a bet against your Sears bike! It would be fun to try though, huh? I do love my new bike, the difference is so remarkable, just shifting gears is much smooother!
I got it new, around $500. Of course, I don't know how it will perform in a tri (or how I will perform....)?

How old is your daughter?
2008-01-10 7:42 PM
in reply to: #1146732

User image

Extreme Veteran
wendysue - 2008-01-09 10:02 PM

Excellent! Now tell me how to do the 'friends' thing?

Hey Wendy:

If you want to do the friends thing, here is what you do.

1. Go into your training logs
2. Click on the General Options item on the left side of the screen just above your minutes worked out graph.
3. You should see some tabs on the screen now and one of them is labeled friends. If you click on that you can then add each persons handle and then they will show up in your blog view of your training logs.

It does make it a little easier to get to their logs to leave encouraging remarks etc.
2008-01-10 7:47 PM
in reply to: #1146800

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madeleine - 2008-01-09 10:20 PM

Hi all!
I realize that this group is now closed but I'm hoping that since it just got closed this evening you might consider taking on one more? If not that's cool too, I just discovered this site today and am finding that the number of open groups is very small...

Anyway, here's a little blurb about myself:
I'm 21 years old, born and raised in Fort Collins, CO. I'm a complete newbie to triathlons - I just decided last week that this is really something I want to do! Call it an extension of my new year's resolution to get in shape... I love to be outdoors but my range of activities is sadly limited; skiing in the winter and hiking in the summer, but that's really it. I'm trying to get into running but it's been a bit of a slow process. I was on my high school swim team but haven't really done any serious swimming since I graduated three years ago. I'm hoping that getting into triathlons will not only get me in shape but also give me a new adventure activity to enjoy. Hopefully this site will give me some good guidance along the way - I can certainly use it!

It'd be great if I could join this group but if not I'll keep looking...

Hi Madeleine!

Yup you are more than welcome in the group. We lost one member to a different group so we have space, please anyone is welcome anyways...the more the merrier.

Glad that you found the site. You are already starting out a bit ahead of the curve if you have a strong swimming background. Most of us here usually are pretty weak in that department, so maybe you will be able to give us all some tips there....

Take your time with running. Make sure you listen to your body and don't over do it as that is the one discipline where it is easy to get injured and slow you down a lot. Trust me I speak from experience sadly...

Have you picked a race yet to do? If not check out Active.com or Trifind.com and see what races are listed near you. Of course we hope you stick around and ask us whatever questions you might have.

2008-01-10 7:49 PM
in reply to: #1147208

User image

Extreme Veteran
richtherunner - 2008-01-10 8:06 AM

Last night I did 10k run in 60 minutes and this morning was a 30 minute swim. The swim is still my most challenging event, but I have been diligently practicing bilateral breathing and it is getting a little easier.

Have a great day all,

Man I am seriously jealous! I am coming back from some ITB issues and I have only been cleared for about 1-1.5 miles per run right now. I can only dream of doing the 10k for the next couple of months.

Great job on the run and swim. My wife and I had spin class this evening for the first time in a few weeks plus I did get my one miler in to at lunch...
2008-01-10 7:51 PM
in reply to: #1148873

User image

Extreme Veteran
wendysue - 2008-01-10 5:30 PM

I'm having trouble finding an Olympic length tri to try. Any thoughts?

Wendy

Hey Wendy you might also want to check out trifind.com. I know for my area in Cincinnati it doesn't list a lot of events right now, but it is another good spot to check out.
2008-01-10 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1149126

User image

Extreme Veteran
karenmc - 2008-01-10 8:12 PM

lisa,
i will have to try to find you amongst the thousands at the iron girl. we CAN do this swim thing -there is no shame in the doggy paddle
karen

There is no shame at all...my first tri I perfected the "barrel" roll. Went from a modified breast stroke to floating on my back for the entire swim, but I got through it and finished it just fine.

Everyone one can finish the swim, it might not be the quickest, but it is more than most will do.
2008-01-10 9:48 PM

Hey All,
It's great to read everyone's posts. Seems like everyone has their race plans set out for the summer. The only thing I have planned right now is the Columbia IronGirl (yea Karen, we'll have to find each other. I have no idea what to expect- I've never even been to a tri!). I'm contemplating doing an earlier tri as a practice run. I'll run some short races during the summer. My oldest daughter (9) and I are planning on running the Charlottesville Four Miler together so I'm looking forward to that. I'd love to run a 1/2 marathon but will have to see how my chronically injured leg holds up.

Eric (and anyone else who has done the Total Immersion Swim method), I'd love your input on my swimming approach right now. I'm a bad swimmer. I get winded really easily and everything in the book makes sense to me as far as why I can't swim more than 4 laps without sucking some serious wind. I was swimming 2x a week but have decided to completely stop until I finish the book and can work on the whole balance thing. I figure it's better to not swim at all right now than to swim and do everything wrong. Was it hard for you to master the beginning of the TI technique? The other question is do you really need a partner? I'm going to FLorida in the beginning of March and will have a week with a pool where there aren't tons of people swimming laps. I thought about trying to teach myself the beginning of the program up to the point where you start to put the strokes together. Do you think I can do it in a week?

BTW- I have to admit, as I was reading about everyone lamenting about how they don't like treadmills, I was thinking about how much I LOVE THEM! I've never belonged to a gym before this fall and I'm having a blast trying out every piece of equipment I can. The only thing I have left is the rowing maching and I can't wait to try it. I guess I've spent so many years running that it's nice to have other options.

Lisa
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eric's 2008 Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 3