General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base Training and HR Zones Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-19 8:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Subject: Base Training and HR Zones
Alright, so after reading through posts on BT and other forums, I've determined that I need to do all base training at or below my Aerobic Threshold, which supposedly coresponds to the high end of Friel's zone 2.

My question is, how close to my AT should I be getting? Should I try to stay in Zone 1 at the beginning of the workout and move up to Zone 2 at the end? Or should I take the "Price-is-right" approach (close to with out going over)? Any tips would be appreciated. I know some people complain they can't stay below their AT, but I seem to have the opposite problem, especially on my bike on the rollers or trainer.

Also, I read on one forum that one way to determine your LT (and then AT) is to do a 30 minute time trial, and use the HR average of the last 20 minutes. Has anyone done this and compared with the number you get from a lab test? Or the number from Friel's tests (which seem a little more complicated)?

Thanks!

Edited by JGFTri 2004-11-19 8:24 PM

2004-11-19 8:38 PM
in reply to: #84813

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Base Training and HR Zones
Your post is a bit confusing to me.

Determining you LT is not done with a 30 minute time trial. Although the protocol differs depending on where you go to get your LT tested, it's done by starting out "slow" taking your blood lactate level and then increasing the speed (either on the bike for a bike LT test or on a treadmill for a run LT) the retating your blood lactate level and repeat until you reach a lactic acid concentration of 4.0 Mmol.

Additionally, you should not be close to your AT when doing base training. All base training should be definately sub AT.

Lastly, the 30 minute time trial test using the last 20 min HR average you refer to I think may be referencing the protocol for a MHR test (max heart rate) but I'm unsure as I have not read that post you refer to.

Also, remember that you can't use your LT from running when you're on your bike because it'll be difficult to reach it (although you shouldn't be anywhere close to reaching it during base training) as bike LT is almost always lower than run LT. This may be the reason you have trouble reaching it on the bike, if in fact you're using the same LT for running and biking.
2004-11-20 12:30 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

I've read protocols on how to approximate MHR outside of a lab but never tried it myself (since I don't own a HR monitor anyway). 

any way to estimate LT outside a lab?  A guy I ride with, who also teaches the occasional spin class -and an EXTREMELY experienced cyclist-  would have us get to a cadence of 16-18 rotations/second and set the resistance so that we could just barely hold a conversation.  Then we'd just stay there, once for 20 minutes (that day it was just him and me though, no class). He referred to that as an LT drill.  He wore a HRM though.  I can't remember what he said HR should be (I think he used zones though).  

Any thougts on the above?   I've never done much HR or LT training, I just sort of get out there and do it. 

2004-11-20 8:42 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I have gotten confused as well by reading different books, sites online, and reading posts. Different books say way different things about heart rate training. It is very frustrating.

I'm going with the method put forth by Dr. Philip Maffetone

I copied part of the Dr. Maffetone article that I think applies to staying under the aerobic level.

<
There may be several reasons why anaerobic workouts can inhibit aerobic base building:

• Anaerobic training can decrease the number of aerobic muscle fibers, sometimes significantly. This can happen in just a few short weeks of higher heart rate training.
• The lactic acid produced during anaerobic training may inhibit the aerobic muscle enzymes necessary for building an aerobic base.
• Anaerobic training raises your respiratory quotient. This means the percentage of energy derived from sugar increases and fat burning decreases. In time, this may force more anaerobic metabolism and less aerobic function.
• Stress can also inhibit the aerobic system. Stress is nearly synonymous with anaerobic training. Excess stress raises cortisol levels, which ultimately increases insulin levels, inhibiting fat burning and increasing sugar usage. This promotes anaerobic metabolism and inhibits aerobic activity. >>

To read the whole article:
http://personalbestnutrition.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?board=news;...

Kathy
2004-11-20 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Steve, I got the 30 minute time trial idea from a Brian Shea post on the PBN forum (same thread that Kathy refers to). Here is what he said:

"To find your LTHR) for either the bike or run complete a 30-minute time trial as follows:

Warm-up as you would before a short race and then begin the time trial. Start your heart rate monitor immediately. This should be one with an average heart rate mode. The effort of this time trial should be racelike--give it all you have. Ten minutes into the time trial (20 minutes to go) hit the 'lap' button on your heart rate monitor so that when you finish you have your average heart rate for the last 20 minutes. This number is an approximation of your LTHR. The more times you complete this test and observe your heart rate relative to breathing in workouts, the more refined your LTHR will become. "

Basically, Steve, what I am looking for is a "poor-mans" way to estimate LT. I realize it won't be as good as a lab test, but I figure its probably better than just using the cook-book formulas. Friel also has another test in his book to estimate LT (doing 1/2 mile increments at 1 MPH faster each increment, plot HR versus time).

Also, Steve, if you use Friel's zones, do you stay in zone 1 or zone 2 (or a mix) for your base training?
2004-11-20 11:10 AM
in reply to: #84849

User image

Elite
Chicago
CindyK - 2004-11-19 11:30 PM

I've read protocols on how to approximate MHR outside of a lab but never tried it myself (since I don't own a HR monitor anyway). 

any way to estimate LT outside a lab?  A guy I ride with, who also teaches the occasional spin class -and an EXTREMELY experienced cyclist-  would have us get to a cadence of 16-18 rotations/second and set the resistance so that we could just barely hold a conversation.  Then we'd just stay there, once for 20 minutes (that day it was just him and me though, no class). He referred to that as an LT drill.  He wore a HRM though.  I can't remember what he said HR should be (I think he used zones though).  

Any thougts on the above?   I've never done much HR or LT training, I just sort of get out there and do it. 

This is actually ventilatory (sp>) threshold, which is pretty close to LT but not the same and could vary depending on the person.

2004-11-20 11:23 AM
in reply to: #84875

User image

Elite
Chicago
JGFTri - 2004-11-20 7:49 AM

Steve, I got the 30 minute time trial idea from a Brian Shea post on the PBN forum (same thread that Kathy refers to). Here is what he said:

"To find your LTHR) for either the bike or run complete a 30-minute time trial as follows:

Warm-up as you would before a short race and then begin the time trial. Start your heart rate monitor immediately. This should be one with an average heart rate mode. The effort of this time trial should be racelike--give it all you have. Ten minutes into the time trial (20 minutes to go) hit the 'lap' button on your heart rate monitor so that when you finish you have your average heart rate for the last 20 minutes. This number is an approximation of your LTHR. The more times you complete this test and observe your heart rate relative to breathing in workouts, the more refined your LTHR will become. "

Basically, Steve, what I am looking for is a "poor-mans" way to estimate LT. I realize it won't be as good as a lab test, but I figure its probably better than just using the cook-book formulas. Friel also has another test in his book to estimate LT (doing 1/2 mile increments at 1 MPH faster each increment, plot HR versus time).

ok, after your explaination I see what he's doing. the theory behind this way of testing LT is that your LT is the point at which you can hold pace for a "long" period of time. Unfortunately, this is not accurate because, depending on your fitness level, you could hold "pace" for 20 minutes above threshold and keep your heart rate consistent.

Think of a 5K race. With some training, you could run the race "full throttle" the entire race, keep your HR at...say...180bpm the whole time but your LT is really only 170 (for example).

Does that make sense?

A poor man's way huh? I mean, my test was only like $55...and believe me, to get accurate HR zones for $55 is pretty cheap is it not? Besides, this $55 is only spent every 5 months or so. That's less than the cost of a race entry....and it's much more valuable.

The only poor man's way I know to estimate LT is to do a ventilatory threshold test (see above). Once your breathing changes where you feel like your beginning to really suck wind....that HR is about the best estimate you can get for LT w/o a lab.

Also, Steve, if you use Friel's zones, do you stay in zone 1 or zone 2 (or a mix) for your base training?

I stay in whatever zones my coach tells me too. ha ha ha

seriously though, zone 1 should be used exclusively during the prep phase and most of base 1. maybe you could go into zone 2 for some of base 2...but again....i'm not a coach so I'm just telling you what i've done in the past through being coached.

additionally, it would stand to reason that you want to really stick to zone 1 as much as possible in your base training because it:

1. teaches the body to burn fat

and

2. instill discipline in pacing . . . which most Type A athletes need...right?
2004-11-20 1:10 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Steve, if you've already stated this I apologize for repeating the question but where did you go to get tested to get an accurate HR?  I'm hoping for a nice HRM for Christmas and I'd like to use it for training next year.  But basing my zones on those age related equations..or even Karvonnen...well I just really wonder at the accuracy.  When I've used a HRM before I never felt like I was working hard enough.  (maybe it's that type a thing...)

Edited by CindyK 2004-11-20 1:11 PM
2004-11-20 7:03 PM
in reply to: #84943

User image

Elite
Chicago
CindyK - 2004-11-20 12:10 PM

Steve, if you've already stated this I apologize for repeating the question but where did you go to get tested to get an accurate HR?  I'm hoping for a nice HRM for Christmas and I'd like to use it for training next year.  But basing my zones on those age related equations..or even Karvonnen...well I just really wonder at the accuracy.  When I've used a HRM before I never felt like I was working hard enough.  (maybe it's that type a thing...)

I would call your local University to get a lactate threshold test. Oh, wait...your in Racine? You're not THAT far from Chicago. My coach can test you or you can get tested at University of Illinois at Chicago but their protocol is not as accurate.

Let me know what you want to do.

take care!
2004-11-20 8:05 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Thanks Steve! I'm going to check w/the Health and Fitness Dept at UW since I'm already there. If they don't have it I'll get in touch
2004-11-21 6:22 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Subject: another question for Steve...

Steve, does your coach have the capability to test VO2 max as well?

2004-11-21 11:56 PM
in reply to: #85205

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: another question for Steve...
CindyK - 2004-11-21 5:22 PM

Steve, does your coach have the capability to test VO2 max as well?

no. i think the vo2max test has a little more expensive equipment needed.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base Training and HR Zones Rss Feed