BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MaXpiXie's Group - CLOSED and Motivated to Train!! :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-03-06 6:11 AM
in reply to: #1255581

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: MaXpiXie's Group - CLOSED and Motivated to Train!! :)

Thanks for the reminder Cheri.  I am actually still running on the treadmill so I am doing okay.  The weather has been warmer but also very wet so it has not been conducive to me training outside anyway. I will do as much as I can on the treadmill for now. Once we get our tax return check, probably within the next few weeks, I will go get my new sneakers.  If the weather turns nicer and dryer, I will probably start just walking outside, no different than when I started on the treadmill and start with short running times and build back up to the 6 minutes run/1 minute run I can do on the treadmill.  I just like my training plan in that it has more running in it overall and since I usually stick pretty well with my plan, it is good for me.

Randi

2008-03-09 9:45 PM
in reply to: #1090041

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

How did everyone's training go this week?  I was on a "do whatever Cheri wants to do" plan this week, and I also plan to continue it for awhile.

I ran several short runs -- some pacing to see how I felt after the half marathon last weekend.  Wanted to be sure that I still had some legs!

I also did several trainer rides, especially important the day after the half.  Legs were very sore, but started to feel better as the week went on

I had a great bike ride today.  I'm seriously considering a century ride at the end of April, and need to get some significant miles in before.  With daylight savings time, I'm very hopeful (if work allows) that I can get some evening rides in.  But I rode nearly 42 miles today, and that is a good step towards my goal.

2008-03-10 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1262059

User image

Extreme Veteran

I had an interesting week with a breakthrough in my front crawl on Thursday and a wicked 5K run yesterday.  I think all of this cross training has helped my running.  Plus someone asked me 'how much weight' I'd lost.  I am actually a pound less than I was when I was 3 months pregnant but this is the lowest weight I've been since I've had kids.  I've really had a tough time going below 130 lbs in the last few years.  Now that I've actually weighed myself, I might have some incentive to lose a couple more pounds.

As anyone who's read my blog knows, my family had a scare this week when we learned that my brother had been in the ER with a blood clot on his lung.  He'd injured his knee playing rec hockey and this may have caused the clot.  He is a physically fit person with 3 children and a wife.  The good news is the clot is under control.  It could have been a whole lot worse.  He is taking this a lot more slowly now.  I am just glad he is alright.  Going against the weight loss discussion in the paragraph above, I sure was doing some comfort eating this weekend.  Can't go on forever but it was sure necessary.

Have a great week everyone...

Tracy 

2008-03-12 5:48 AM
in reply to: #1262835

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
tracyhmcd - 2008-03-10 10:47 AM

I had an interesting week with a breakthrough in my front crawl on Thursday and a wicked 5K run yesterday.  I think all of this cross training has helped my running.  Plus someone asked me 'how much weight' I'd lost.  I am actually a pound less than I was when I was 3 months pregnant but this is the lowest weight I've been since I've had kids.  I've really had a tough time going below 130 lbs in the last few years.  Now that I've actually weighed myself, I might have some incentive to lose a couple more pounds.

I can't wait to see how you do in your race.  I think you are going to surprise yourself!  Good luck!!!

2008-03-12 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1266610

User image

Extreme Veteran

Now I'm nervous that I did too much last Sunday and won't be able to repeat this Sunday!  But I will definitely not cycle on Sunday morning so I should have enough 'gas in the tank' to have a good race...

But thanks for your good wishes!  I will write a report in my blog, since this race isn't officially listed on BT.

Tracy

2008-03-13 5:40 AM
in reply to: #1266981

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
tracyhmcd - 2008-03-12 9:51 AM

Now I'm nervous that I did too much last Sunday and won't be able to repeat this Sunday!  But I will definitely not cycle on Sunday morning so I should have enough 'gas in the tank' to have a good race...

But thanks for your good wishes!  I will write a report in my blog, since this race isn't officially listed on BT.

Tracy

Tracy, you can add your race on BT, then do a race report.  Most of the races I do aren't listed.  All you need to do is go to the races button at the top, then click on Your Races, then the Add Race button.   When it doesn't find your race, you can enter the data for it, then it will be listed!

2008-03-16 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

How'd you all do this week?  Me, terrible!  I started off strong with a good run last Sunday, and then NO training again until Saturday!  I was working so much, I just didn't have time or energy.  Thankfully, this week should be better - hectic, but no 12 hour workdays.

Gotta get back in the pool, too. 

2008-03-16 10:00 PM
in reply to: #1274976

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
maxpixie - 2008-03-16 6:58 PM

How'd you all do this week?  Me, terrible!  I started off strong with a good run last Sunday, and then NO training again until Saturday!  I was working so much, I just didn't have time or energy.  Thankfully, this week should be better - hectic, but no 12 hour workdays.

Gotta get back in the pool, too. 

Not such a great week for me, either.  I am on "reward" after the half at the beginning of the month, but I only got about 7.2 miles in running this week.  That's signficantly lower than what I need to keep my base going.  Daylight savings time is definitely getting in the way!  Running with a flashlight is a little intimidating.

As far as biking goes, I did a little better.  I actually got out on the road twice this weekend, and also rode my trainer once.  Looks like I got about 67 miles in -- yahoo! 

So there's still that swimming demon...

2008-03-17 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1275229

User image

Extreme Veteran
I actually had a really good week, ending with my St. Patrick's Day 5K race yesterday (is Sunday the start of a week, oh well...)  We woke up to a bunch o' snow and the course was icy but I still managed to do the race in 26:53, which is probably a personal best for the last 10 years.  There may be a better result for me somewhere but it was certainly before kids (and the accompanying bumps, lumps & pounds) and in the days when I was single and had lots of time to train.

Had a good swim last Tuesday and a 'meh' swim on Thursday.  Daylight Savings Time did not do me any favors either...

Plus I bought myself a Zoot two piece tri suit for my triathlon which is about 2 1/2 months away (yikes!)

Have a great week everyone!

2008-03-20 7:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Hi everyone.  Sorry I have not been around lately. I have been dealing with numerous stresses with family illnesses and time demands but it looks like things are improving.    I also had a visit with an endocrinologist last week and he diagnosed me with insulin resistance which has caused me to re-evaluate the nutritional needs for the training.  It calls for lower carb consumption which has caused some loss of energy which prevents me from improving on my current level of training so I am backing off a little and just trying to maintain. I hope that once my body adjusts to the medicine I just started today  (fortamet 500mg 2x/day) and the new reduced carb diet (2 to 1 carbs to protein),  I can build up the endurance again.  Right now I am just trying to maintain where I am.  At some point, I need to plan to do a simulated sprint triathlon again to make sure I can do all three without crashing towards the end.
2008-03-21 7:44 PM
in reply to: #1282334

User image

Extreme Veteran

Randi - no need to apologize for not being around - you are doing the best you can & pushing the envelope and that is great.  I will have to look up a quote from my Women's Triathlon book but it says something like 'I did the best I could day given my circumstances'.

You will be able to do your triathlon - adrenaline will make sure of that.

Keep training.

Tracy

2008-03-23 6:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Randi!  Congrats on moving forward with some answers!  Don't think of it as a setback, it's more just a change in situation - and a positive one, at that.  You WILL do great come race day, and there's still plenty of time

Another lousy week for me, I am fighting a bad cold that I didn't think would be this terrible, but it is.  Just going to do my best and go from here.  I've got a 10-mile "race" that I'm just "participating" in next Sunday, and the following Sunday is the MORE 1/2 mary.  Hey, at least I got the cold out of the way already, right?

2008-03-23 6:58 PM
in reply to: #1286502

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Thanks Tracy.  I like that quote and it definitely makes me feel better about the situation.  My kids are on spring break this week so the training schedule will probably be off but will still to get some training in this week if I can. 

2008-03-23 7:03 PM
in reply to: #1288535

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Thanks Christine.  It is definitely a challange right now because I am suffering from side affects to the medicine and it is not pleasant.  It is hard to keep taking medicine that makes me feel worse while taking it then if I don't.  I am keeping at it though because everyone tells  me that it will get better in a couple of weeks. I have 1/2 a week down and am seeing slight improvements each day.  My concern now is that on Wednesday I am supposed to double my dosage but thinK I will call the dr about giving me another week on the lower dosage so my body can adjust to it before blasting it with more meds.

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.  Good luck with your participatory race and I am figuring you are using it as training for the 1/2 mary?  Hey, you are supposed to taper before a race anyway, right so it might as well be now while you are not feeling well.  I am sure you will do great at the 1/2 mary after your rest.

2008-03-23 8:13 PM

Hello again, everyone.

Light training the last 2 weeks, due to work, a ski weekend, and life in general. No weight training in the last two weeks, but I did manage to stick to my running training schedule 90%. I had the best experience in a long time - ran outside since we are finally getting weather warmer than 40 degrees. I'm still doing a lot of run/walk, but my run time is increasing in total. Hoping to move to more continuous running minutes soon. Saw a few bikers last week, and I got really jealous. I think I'm anxious to take the training outdoors. Haven't swam in about three weeks, but I haven't been home on a Sunday to do it either.

You all are a real encouragement, hearing your perserverance in training, and the ups and downs. Lets us newbies know that you don't have to give up just because you have a bad week (or two in my case!)

You go girls!

Karen
2008-03-24 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1288651

User image

Extreme Veteran

I've had a nice relaxing few days off and I feel the least stress that I have in a long time.  Training has been going well and I am looking forward to leaving for our holiday in Maui (leave April 5, back April 13).

My husband is really supporting me ('you're having a breakthrough year', he says!!) and now he is saying 'you're doing two triathlons this summer, right?' so I am definitely thinking about it.

Keep training everyone and have a great week...

2008-03-27 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Hey everyone,

I've been incommunicado again -- work pressures of course.  We're in a lull for the past couple of days, and I'm playing catch up on life (again!).  Training suffered some last week, but I'm doing better this week.  I think part of the problem last week was that I was just so darned tired!  Even when I had time to work out, I just dragged myself through the motions.  But now I'm better rested, and can see the difference in myself (even if it doesn't look significantly different on my logs).

I saw an interesting challenge on the challenge forum for April.  It's a multisport challenge, where you set your own goals and teams are set for you.  The teams all get their own threads, and everyone encourages each other.  I intend to sign up for biking and running.  I am hopefully getting the clavicle plate removed in late April, so then I should be good for swimming.  Anyone interested?

Cheri

2008-03-31 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

How did everyone's week go?  I had four runs for about 17 miles total, and five bikes for 101 miles.  The highlight of my week was a 51+ mile bike ride on Friday, in preparation for a century ride at the end of April. 

Lately I feel like I'm mostly just going through the motions.  Perhaps it is the let-down of completing the half marathon, or perhaps because I don't have any big races planned near term.  I'm not having an issue about going out and getting some base miles in, but I'm not doing any specific training.  Any suggestions?

2008-03-31 4:42 PM
in reply to: #1304492

User image

Extreme Veteran

Considering that I am leaving for Maui very shortly, I am feeling a bit down.  Maybe it's the weather, or 'bad time of month' or, like Cheri, the lack of a pressing challenge.  Cheri, I'll bet the April challenge gets you going again.  Perhaps you could find a shorter race (10K) in the short term to challenge you?  Try to beat your PR?

Tracy

2008-03-31 7:23 PM
in reply to: #1305940

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
tracyhmcd - 2008-03-31 4:42 PM

Considering that I am leaving for Maui very shortly, I am feeling a bit down.  Maybe it's the weather, or 'bad time of month' or, like Cheri, the lack of a pressing challenge.  Cheri, I'll bet the April challenge gets you going again.  Perhaps you could find a shorter race (10K) in the short term to challenge you?  Try to beat your PR?

Tracy

I think I am going to try to incorporate some intervals in my run training.  I'm doing a 5K in a couple of weeks, and I'm sure I could benefit from that (rather than just pounding the pavement).

Say aloha to Maui for me (one of my favorite places on earth), and enjoy!

2008-05-02 7:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Hey everyone!  Hope you all are doing great with your training.   Sorry I have not been around and I know that they are working on setting up the next mentoring go around but wanted to give you all an update. I saw the orthopedist yesterday and he diagnosed chondromalacia which he told me is runner's knee.  The cartilidge under my knee cap is rubbing and causing grooves which is why my knee clicks when I bend it and hurts to do most anything because it is irritated. He is sending me for 6 weeks of physical therapy and has restricted all other activity to swimming unless it hurts and possibly the elliptical trainer which I have not yet tried.  I start therapy on Tuesday and will talk to the therapist about starting the elliptical or if I should just wait.    The ortho also told me to start taking glucosamine and hopes it will help. Otherwise, I am looking at surgery to smooth the cartilidge in my knee.  He does not see any reason I won't be able to do the triathlon with the exception of  my pain level but that is all me to decide.    After physcical therapy, I will have to definitely get fitted for good running sneakers.  He told me not to do that now since I won't be able to run like I would without the pain and it would not give a true picture of my gait.

So,  at least I am headed in the right direction.  Here's hoping that the therapy helps and gets me back on track.

2008-05-05 5:57 AM
in reply to: #1377294

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Hey Randi,

Sorry about your issues with your knee.  I just wanted to let you know that my husband had the same thing, but it was discovered a different way than you.  He tore his ACL while skiing, and when the doctor went in to do the repair he discovered the cartilege problem.  He did smooth it out, but also told John that he shouldn't run or he'd be risking early knee replacement.  Now John does run occasionally, but not nearly as much as he used to.  And he does take glucosamine too.  You might want to talk with your doctor about long term affects of running on your knee.  And I can't imagine why biking would be an issue -- did you talk with him about that?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but is your doctor suggesting that you do the triathlon without training for it?  That doesn't sound real smart.  Or is he suggesting that you do some limited training?  I guess I just don't get the picture.

Anyway, I'm sure you are disappointed.  Hopefully the PT will help!

2008-05-05 6:21 AM
in reply to: #1381436

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Hi Cheri,

I will definitely talk to my dr about the future running.  He did say that I should be able to run again but will have to correct my gait which is what caused the problem in the first place since I was able to pinpoint to which workout caused the start of the pain. But again, I will follow up with him because I definitely don't want to wreck my knee for life.    As you know, I was never a runner to begin with and had just started to enjoy myself on the treadmill.  I have not yet transitioned to running outside.  If after PT, I can run enough to do a 5k, I am sure I can be satisfied with that distance especially if it means not future damage to my knee.  But in all honesty,  if I have to walk through the run part of a triathlon, I will do that in order to finish.

Biking itself is not an issue except when I have pain because then everything I do hurts.  The dr said once the pain is gone, there is no restriction to what I can do...just stop if it hurts at all to avoid additional damage. For now he wants me to focus mostly on the swim and physical therapy and not tax the knee too much.  If towards the end of the PT, it is feeling better, he said I can start back on my training.

2008-05-27 7:58 AM

Still training everyone?

I've been following a running schedule, and now training in all 3 - one month to my first triathlon. Looking for a finish, and a fun experience. Hoping to drag my 19 year old daughter along and do another event in July.

Did a 15 mile bike ride yesterday, only problem were the 22 mph wind gusts I ran into on the SECOND half of my ride. What a killer! It was good, though.

There certainly have been obstacles to training. My husband was diagnosed with cancer earlier in May, and had surgery to remove a kidney. He's been home from work, and there have been some emotional barriers to training, as well as the question of whether it was really possible to follow through with the time and energy it takes for training for the event. Now he said that watching me in the triathlon will be the highlight of his summer. I think he likes the emotional benefits he sees when I exercise!

Keep on running, swimming and biking!

Life is not about avoiding the storms, but learning to dance in the rain!

Karen
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MaXpiXie's Group - CLOSED and Motivated to Train!! :) Rss Feed  

of 10