Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2008-01-06 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
Subject: Boston Marathon
To all the Patriot Day Runners out there --
Just thought I'd start the thread. How's everyone's training going?

I'm just beginning to create a modified training plan that'll allow me to hit Boston hard and complete my first HIM in August. I really can't wait for Boston -- its been a dream of mine to run it for a couple of years now. But I feel like I'm getting a bit distracted at the beginning of my first season training for tri's . . . it seems like making up for zero experience with the swim has become a bigger priority than setting a nice base for Boston training.

How's everyone else handling training for multiple events?

2008-01-07 8:20 AM
in reply to: #1138016

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon

My training is on hold at the moment.  I had Compartment Syndrome surgery on Dec. 6th for my left leg and on Dec. 28th for my right leg.  I am still on crutches right now.  I hope to be allowed to start running again in a couple of weeks.  It is doubtul that I will be able to regain my fitness quickly enough to train for Boston though  I am already registered and have my hotel and plane reservations.  My DH & I have decided to go no matter what.  So, if I can't run I will be there to cheer you all on.

2008-01-07 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1138357

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

I am glad to hear that you had the surgery. Before reading about Compartment Syndrome minutes ago, I had no idea what it was. I wish you a speedy, efficient, and full recovery. the fact that you'll be able to be running again within weeks is wonderful -- from what little I've read, it seems as if damage has the potential to be great, even lethal.

So -- don't worry. Boston will be there next year if you can't run it this year. Although I know how exciting Boston may be, its a long race season, and there are plenty of other marathons before next winter.

Rest well -- can't wait to see your training log when you're back in the saddle! 

2008-01-07 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
I am training for it...where is everyone staying?

gonna race in april then train for some summer tris...
2008-01-08 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Newton, MA
There's a marathon in Boston? Since when?
2008-01-08 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH

Hey,

It looks like we're on the same plan this year. Boston, then Half IM in August.  I've done a LITTLE biking on the trainer, but mostly just running - ZERO swimming so far, but will start ramping that up on rest days in the next week or so.  At least we'll have a couple months to get some open water swimming in b4 August.  I've never focused much on the swim. It seems like it takes a LOT of time to improve a little, and I just don't enjoy it that much...

What are your goals for Boston?

2008-01-08 5:27 PM
in reply to: #1142003

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

I made two cancel-able reservations about a month ago, so that I could decide where I wanted to stay closer to race day. One is located closer to the start, one "closer" to the finish -- but both are at the bottom end of the budget spectrum (an essential for me).  I'm only going to be in town for Sunday and Sunday evening. I plan on running the race and leaving that afternoon to head back to upstate New York, where I'll be returning to work the next day. no race (or vacation time) for the weary (teacher). My two reservations, at the moment:

Holiday Inn: Braintree MA

Red Roof Inn: Southborough, MA 

Anyone else got reservations? Anyone staying in a swank downtown room I can collapse on the floor of? I swear, I'll only steal a couple of towels.

2008-01-08 5:32 PM
in reply to: #1142003

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

Fish,

I'm interested in comparing training and thoughts on running these two races -- but at the moment I'm on my way out the door. I've been putting in 3-4 pool workouts per week because up until 4 weeks ago I could only doggie paddle. Its helped build up my confidence, at the very least, and really inspired me to put in time on my other workout days as well.

My goal is a real reach for me right now -- 3:00, a 9-minute PR. I got my PR in April and only ran on and off through November, when I started hitting the road again three days per week.

Your goal? 

2008-01-08 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
i may stay up near haravrd its cheap and you can get the start by bus and train...I would love to stay close but too expensive and one know anyone not using a reservation?
2008-01-08 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
i may stay up near haravrd its cheap and you can get the start by bus and train...I would love to stay close but too expensive and one know anyone not using a reservation?
2008-01-09 5:13 AM
in reply to: #1143520

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH

Good stuff, Maz.

Keep up the swimming. They say to train your weakness, and race your strength. (Not that I do!) If you have the time to fit that in on top of the Boston build, then keep it up! 

As far as August goes, I plan to switch to a bike focus starting right after Boston. I won't stop running, for sure, but will ramp up the biking dramatically. It just makes sense goal wise, and weather wise. It may seem overly simple, but that works for my simple mind :-)

I ran my first Mary in october '06 after a bike focused summer.  I felt in good shape, but missed several long runs in the marathon build.  I managed a 3:05. This fall, I got hit by a car (on my bike) and missed a lot of running in October, and limped to a 3:13 in November. If I can keep healthy, my goal will be to set a 10 minute PR at Boston. (I know, it's not a PR course but...)

2008-01-09 6:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC

I am booked at the Doubletree Downtown.  It is about a half mile from the finish line.  Very expensive hotel (I booked through Marathon Tours).  But I decided to splurge since it was my first time in Boston and first time running the Boston Marathon (my husband and I decided to turn it into a vacation - will be there Fri to Tues). 

I am also planning to do a HIM after Boston.  I had planned for July, but because of the surgeries I doubt I will be ready for Boston much less a HIM in July.  So I have moved my HIM plans back to November (there is a HIM distance race just an hour and a half from my house).

Good luck with your training!!

2008-01-09 6:01 PM

User image

Regular
Hey Chris,

Thanks for making this thread!!!!

Paul
2008-01-09 10:36 PM

User image

Virginia Beach, VA
I am also staying at the Doubletree Downtown. This is my second Boston Marathon and I realize the importance of being close to the finish line... its a LONG walk back to the hotel :-(

I am also doing Eagleman in June and Ironman Florida this November. I might be crazy?? I have no clue how I am going to train for all this, I am just going to worry about one thing at a time. Right now I am obviously focusing on my running, swimming a couple times a week, and riding my bike on a trainer 1 or 2 times a week. Time will tell....
2008-01-10 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

Hi Everyone,

I'm passing on a document that was forwarded to me by a fellow BT'er who completed Boston last year. He PR'ed it (no small feat), and gave the strategy outlined in this interactive spreadsheet training and racing planner some of the credit.

It is, almost literally, the Rosetta Stone of Boston Marathon racing: 

http://box.net/public/75o3rqgty9 

2008-01-10 4:47 PM
in reply to: #1148091

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
That's AWESOME! Thanks, Maz!

2008-01-11 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Portland

Thanks for that link Maz!

I am running Boston for the first time this year.  Then two Ironman races. Lake Placid and Florida. 

Insane year ahead, should be fun

2008-01-14 8:08 AM
in reply to: #1151487

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
MikeJ - 2008-01-11 8:29 PM

I am running Boston for the first time this year. Then two Ironman races. Lake Placid and Florida.

Sounds like a great year ahead. Have a blast! 

2008-01-16 7:23 PM
in reply to: #1151487

User image

Regular
MikeJ - 2008-01-11 8:29 PM

I am running Boston for the first time this year.  Then two Ironman races. Lake Placid and Florida. 

Wow!!

I am running Boston (first time as well) and doing IM Wisconsin in September. I'm interested in how you are setting up your training. I am overlapping bases on the bike with run builds, etc. It's chaos. I am having a good time, though.

-Paul
2008-01-17 7:50 PM
in reply to: #1160683

User image

Expert
Portland

I started  my marathon plan Dec 17th.  It is an 18week plan using mostly a template from Hal Higdon's website.  My LP training plan started this past Monday, the 14th.  I will continue to follow the marathon plan for my run training, and am using the TTB to figure out the right swim and bike workouts.  The Boston Marathon falls in the beginning of the third week of my Base3 phase for LP.  I will taper as far as running goes per Higdon's plan, but will up my swim hours and keep the bike hours constant.  Probably not the best way to taper for Boston, but it should be well enough(I hope).  The week after Boston is the fourth week of Base3, which is an off-load/recovery week anyway.  After Boston, I will probably repeat some of the Higdon plan, with the TTB to guide me. 

Good luck at WI!  I'd like to do that one in the next 3-5 years.

2008-01-23 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1162902

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Coming for round 2, but it is going to be an easy relaxed day because I'm going for a sub-3 attempt just 6 weeks before the race.  So my Boston training is composed of the current training plan for the March 2nd marathon followed by 3 week recovery and then 3 week taper for Boston!

2008-01-24 5:49 PM
in reply to: #1162902

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
MikeJ - 2008-01-17 8:50 PM

I started my marathon plan Dec 17th. It is an 18week plan using mostly a template from Hal Higdon's website. My LP training plan started this past Monday, the 14th. I will continue to follow the marathon plan for my run training, and am using the TTB to figure out the right swim and bike workouts. The Boston Marathon falls in the beginning of the third week of my Base3 phase for LP. I will taper as far as running goes per Higdon's plan, but will up my swim hours and keep the bike hours constant. Probably not the best way to taper for Boston, but it should be well enough(I hope). The week after Boston is the fourth week of Base3, which is an off-load/recovery week anyway. After Boston, I will probably repeat some of the Higdon plan, with the TTB to guide me.

Good luck at WI! I'd like to do that one in the next 3-5 years.

For MikeJ, and for everyone else,

This is my first triathlon season, and my third marathon season. I am running the Timberman 70.3 in August in addition to Boston. How are you all managing the combined training regimens?

I, like MikeJ, am using Hal Higdon as a basis for my Boston training:  Higdon's advanced plan and his Boston plan combined. I'm adapting the HIM training plan available to Bronze members here at BT for my tri training, adding and changing workouts according to what I glean from The Triathlete's Bible.

So far, so good: I'm adding a run workout or two and subtracting a bike workout, while adding strength workouts to the BT plan. But planning training weeks feels like a juggling act to me (too many workouts, not enough time), and a very imperfect science for someone new to triathlon.

Any thoughts? Even hearing your own management strategies would be helpful. 

2008-01-26 2:26 PM
in reply to: #1174920

User image

Expert
Portland
TheMaz - 2008-01-24 6:49 PM

... I'm adding a run workout or two and subtracting a bike workout, while adding strength workouts to the BT plan. But planning training weeks feels like a juggling act to me (too many workouts, not enough time), and a very imperfect science for someone new to triathlon.

Any thoughts? Even hearing your own management strategies would be helpful. 

Maz,

It's definately a huge juggling act. One reason that I like using the TTB so much is that you are the author of your training plan.  Although this is alot more work, you are able to customize the training that you commit to according to your own goals, time availability, etc.  A lot of people criticize the TTB for being too "technical" for their basic needs, but I feel that you can use to book to get as specific with your training details as you want to. 

Maz, it sounds like your plan will serve you well.  We are not going to have a lot of chance to get out to bike this time of year in the North East, so I dont plan that much time on the bike anyway.  I am pretty confident that with all the running, we can ramp up the extensive endurance on the bike pretty quickly after Boston is over. 

Good Luck at Timberman this summer.  I did it last summer.  Make sure you plan to do hill workouts on the bike and your runs routinely. 

2008-01-26 6:16 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I won't even be starting real tri training until after my March marathon, and then Boston falls into the early part of it.  I just roll in what I can and this go round I really need to focus on my cycling more.

I'm riding the bike portion on a relay team for the Columbia Tri in May, have Eagleman 70.3 in June and then IMLP in July.  Needless to say I'm going to have to ramp my tri training pretty quick!  But this year I am not focusing on trying for killer times (other then the sub-3 attempt).  I'm just out there to have a good time and string together good races at whatever pace I can handle that day.

Edit:  Oh, and ditch the weight lifting/strength training and fit in more swim/bike/run workouts with the same time you had allotted.  You'll thank me come race day .....

Edited by Daremo 2008-01-26 6:17 PM
2008-01-27 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
i am training too...this cold weather makes the long runs hard...i have a 13-14 miler this weekend coming up....run then watch the superbowl
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Marathon Rss Feed  

of 7