General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early season HIM support/training group? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-02-26 4:52 AM
in reply to: #1145711

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Early season HIM support/training group?
Hello everybody. I will be doing the Black Bear Half in June and finally got going yesterday with a 6 mile run on the TM. I think I am going to follow a modified 20 week HIM program focusing on running and biking for the next month and then adding the swimming. I look forward to exchanging ideas and encouragement with you all over the next 3 months

2008-02-26 8:25 PM

User image

Regular
NYC
Anybody have a quick suggestion for new goggles? Mine are old and leaky.
2008-02-26 8:45 PM
in reply to: #1237705

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
mptri2008 - 2008-02-26 8:25 PM Anybody have a quick suggestion for new goggles? Mine are old and leaky.
I've tried a bunch of different goggles and masks. I started using the swedish goggles a few months ago and I really like them. They never leak and they are cheap, $4.20 with tax around here. They look uncomfortable, but they have been working for me. I've also used the Kaiman goggles with good results. Good luck.
2008-02-27 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
nearby the city of brotherly love
I love the swedish goggles--long time swimmer from 6years old till now--and those are the best i've had (if you can get used to the no padding). rarely had them leak, and the silver coated ones are great for when it's sunny out.

redfox04---i've signed up for the black bear sprint this june! best of luck in the half!
2008-02-28 7:22 PM
in reply to: #1237705

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
mptri2008 - 2008-02-26 9:25 PM

Anybody have a quick suggestion for new goggles? Mine are old and leaky.

I've used the Aquashere Seal XP mask for two years now with the amber lens. They're comfortable, don't leak, and really cut the glare when sighting an open water swim. I am in the minority, though, as I don't see many masks used, mostly goggles. But I like them alot.

Good Luck

2008-03-02 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Hi everyone! Its the first weekend in March and we actually might have some spring like weather for a few days this week here in PA. Its almost time to start to think about shifting gears from the winter maintenance to getting out a doing some race specific work, (IE go hit the hills for all you folks doing Black Bear!! ) .

Its also coming up on the time to break out some of the equipment and get it ready. When do you all schedule a pre season bike tune up? When do you try out the wetsuit, to see if it still fits? Are you starting to get the itch to race yet?

Have Fun!

2008-03-02 5:56 PM

Veteran
Well, my coaching obligations are over and I can focus on my own athletics for now. Tommorow marks 30 weeks out from Chesapeakeman and 9 weeks out from Devilman. I got in a cold and windy (read: slow) 65 mile ride today. I just kept telling myself that no other clydesdales racing at Devilman are doing 65 miles today and that makes the wind a bit less noticeable.
2008-03-03 5:45 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I'm hoping to get out on the bike and take advantage of some of that warm PA weather today before the rain moves in. My training is going pretty well so far, but I'm going to need to increase my bike mileage. Now that warmer weather is in sight, I'm hoping that will be easier to manage (or at least endure -- those long trainer hours can get pretty tedious). I'm probably taking my tri bike in this week for tune-up, etc. in prep for taking it outdoors (it's seen a lot of trainer miles over the winter, but I've mostly used my roadie for outdoor rides over the past couple of months). Also having a compact crank put on it so I don't waste my legs on those Black Bear hills! After the tri bike gets its tune-up, it'll be the road bike's turn...

I had my first "race" of the season yesterday - a small 10K running race. I was thrilled to finish with a sub-9:00 min/mile pace. Not fast to many of you, but great progress for me!
2008-03-03 8:20 AM
in reply to: #1247089

User image

Expert
Tulsa
southwestmba - 2008-03-02 1:36 PM

Hi everyone! Its the first weekend in March and we actually might have some spring like weather for a few days this week here in PA. Its almost time to start to think about shifting gears from the winter maintenance to getting out a doing some race specific work, (IE go hit the hills for all you folks doing Black Bear!! ) .

Its also coming up on the time to break out some of the equipment and get it ready. When do you all schedule a pre season bike tune up? When do you try out the wetsuit, to see if it still fits? Are you starting to get the itch to race yet?

Have Fun!

Heck yeah!! I'm less than 4 weeks out from IMCalifornia 70.3!! This is my peak week and it has been raining since yesterday afternoon. And we are supposed to get 6" of snow tonight. So this isn't looking good for peak week! But i think i'm ready anyway.
2008-03-03 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1248294

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

jsnowash - 2008-03-03 5:45 AM ... I had my first "race" of the season yesterday - a small 10K running race. I was thrilled to finish with a sub-9:00 min/mile pace. Not fast to many of you, but great progress for me!

Awesome accomplishment Jenny!

2008-03-03 12:45 PM
in reply to: #1234102

User image

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
owl_girl - 2008-02-25 10:53 AM

Just discovered this group!  Great idea!  Can I get in?  I plan on doing my first HIM on June 1 (Boise HIM).  I'm really excited about it!  Is there a list of everyone participating in this little group so I can add ya to my friends list......if I can join the group?   Cheers!!!

Travel North on Memorial day weekend to spend the week between Wa and ID as i too have my fisrt HIM in Boise, ID - perhaps I'll even see you there.  For the record, i have added you to my freinds and may even send an annoying inspire at times!

2008-03-03 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1248294

User image

Master

jsnowash - 2008-03-03 3:45 AM I'm hoping to get out on the bike and take advantage of some of that warm PA weather today before the rain moves in. My training is going pretty well so far, but I'm going to need to increase my bike mileage. Now that warmer weather is in sight, I'm hoping that will be easier to manage (or at least endure -- those long trainer hours can get pretty tedious). I'm probably taking my tri bike in this week for tune-up, etc. in prep for taking it outdoors (it's seen a lot of trainer miles over the winter, but I've mostly used my roadie for outdoor rides over the past couple of months). Also having a compact crank put on it so I don't waste my legs on those Black Bear hills! After the tri bike gets its tune-up, it'll be the road bike's turn... I had my first "race" of the season yesterday - a small 10K running race. I was thrilled to finish with a sub-9:00 min/mile pace. Not fast to many of you, but great progress for me!

All races that you move from "registered" to "done" are good races - besides bub 9 mins is very fast to this slow guy!  Congrats again.

2008-03-06 10:03 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Hey everyone. All the fair weather folks have come out of the woodwork this week at work, so I haven't been able to get a locker at work at week (one of the reasons I have a large gym bag). But its cool to see everyone emerging with the warm spell. Having worked steadily all winter, I am feeling really racey and can't wait to get after it. Been doing some tempo work this week and it feels great to stretch it out and hammer a ride or run. Too bad I have to wait until May for my HIM. How is everyone dealing with spring fever? Anyone doing have any races (5k/10k, du, or a tri) coming up?

Have fun!
2008-03-07 1:06 PM
in reply to: #1257852

User image

Veteran
nearby the city of brotherly love
southwestmba - 2008-03-06 10:03 PM

Hey everyone. All the fair weather folks have come out of the woodwork this week at work, so I haven't been able to get a locker at work at week (one of the reasons I have a large gym bag). But its cool to see everyone emerging with the warm spell. Having worked steadily all winter, I am feeling really racey and can't wait to get after it. Been doing some tempo work this week and it feels great to stretch it out and hammer a ride or run. Too bad I have to wait until May for my HIM. How is everyone dealing with spring fever? Anyone doing have any races (5k/10k, du, or a tri) coming up?

Have fun!

Spring fever yes! I ran hill repeats this past tuesday morning in shorts..i was so pumped for warm weather..got finished and realized i had blasted out more repeats than i had thought

There is a duathlon coming up called the Lenape Challenge: you have a 5 mile hilly run and the last half mile is actually up a small mountain (used for skiing in the winter). after that, there's a 2 mile canoe down the river. It's a fun race, but man do the hills kill your quads! Anyone else in PA familiar with this race?

Keep up the hard work--spring is right around the corner!

2008-03-08 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Wet and rainy day here in SE PA. So I did my cycling classes at the Y took and an hour off and was back for a 10 K run on the indoor track. While normally the drudgery of a 1/13th mile track (yes that is 81 laps), isn't fun, today was almost refreshing. First off, I had a ton of company on the track. Walkers, joggers, kids, and even babies. So I got to do some people watching. There was one baby, that just made my day. He was being carried by his father, but everytime I came by, he would perk up and smile, watch me, and giggle. I didn't see him do that with anyone else, except his mom of course. Who knows maybe I've inspired a future superstar. The other thing was all the little kids. They would get out there and run for a lap or until they couldn't see their parents, but they were having a blast. Kids run so naturally, and just seemed to enjoy themselves so much doing it. The one knee high little guy who decided to "race" me was having so much fun trying to do everything possible to keep me behind him, that I felt bad for him when his mom ruined his fun and pulled him off the track. You can learn alot from a child. Running is one of the purist forms of play and is a way to let that little kid in all of us out. Enjoy every moment.

Have fun!
2008-03-12 1:20 PM

User image

Regular
NYC
Just getting over the stomach flu after I got back from a week in Miami. Got a lot of training runs in the 85 degree weather! Good training for FL 70.3 in May, although it will most likley be more humid. Going to try and get back in the saddle tonight after almost 5 days off. Hope everyone is healthy and kicking!

2008-03-12 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1260773

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

southwestmba - 2008-03-08 4:18 PM Wet and rainy day here in SE PA. So I did my cycling classes at the Y took and an hour off and was back for a 10 K run on the indoor track. While normally the drudgery of a 1/13th mile track (yes that is 81 laps), isn't fun, today was almost refreshing. First off, I had a ton of company on the track. Walkers, joggers, kids, and even babies. So I got to do some people watching. There was one baby, that just made my day. He was being carried by his father, but everytime I came by, he would perk up and smile, watch me, and giggle. I didn't see him do that with anyone else, except his mom of course. Who knows maybe I've inspired a future superstar. The other thing was all the little kids. They would get out there and run for a lap or until they couldn't see their parents, but they were having a blast. Kids run so naturally, and just seemed to enjoy themselves so much doing it. The one knee high little guy who decided to "race" me was having so much fun trying to do everything possible to keep me behind him, that I felt bad for him when his mom ruined his fun and pulled him off the track. You can learn alot from a child. Running is one of the purist forms of play and is a way to let that little kid in all of us out. Enjoy every moment. Have fun!

What a positive spin on a crowded track!  Most people would have turned that into a rant...way to look at the bright side of life...and kids are great, aren't they?

2008-03-13 1:30 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
So how is everyone's training going? I seem to be hanging in there... I think I'll be ready by the time my race rolls around June 1.

I'm curious... how many of you train with "gadgets"? The only "gadgets" I have are my 9.99 sports watch from Target, and a cadence computer on the bike. I used a HRM for a while, but after the transmitter batteries died, I never replaced it, and go mainly by feel now. No power meter, GPS, foodpod, or any other fancy stuff. I'm wondering if I will regret not using an HRM in my race. I'm a little worried about going out too hard on the bike and loosing it on the run. I still have the watch, so maybe I should bit the bullet and get a new transmitter... Any opinions?

I'm also wondering if anyone out there has found the magic equillibrium point where you take in enough nutrition/hydration on the bike without having to stop to pee... Is there such a point? Seems like I have to stop somewhere any time I do a ride longer than 2 hours or so...

Keep up the good work, everybody!
2008-03-13 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1270158

User image

Oo, I want to answer this!

I am a no-gadget girl; my coach is good with that.  He has taught me to listen to my body for pacing, etc., rather than rely on HRM or other stuff. That will serve me well in racing and I avoid the looking-at-watch photos!    As a plug for him, visit coachedrundotcom and try one of the samples -- helps teach pacing.  I was a beta tester and really have found the HM program useful for finding a good pace.  On the bike training, he distinguishes "kinda hard" from "very hard" intervals, in those words, and that helps, too. 

I have found the "don't need to stop and pee" point on my long rides (although I do know how to pee on the bike if necessary...), although I tend to underhydrate a bit.  I should point out that when not on the bike I have to pee pretty much every hour and wake up multiple times a night -- asked my (ironman) doctor about it, did some tests, and found I have slightly high sugar and slightly high electrolytes already, so quit using Gatorade etc. and made some other nutritional changes and seem to be doing much better on the long rides (although at my speed, no chance I can ride AND run w/o having to pee). 

Hope that helps!

2008-03-13 1:58 PM

User image

Master

My training is going pretty well.  I have had a few odd weeks in Feb because I had mixed in a few foot races, and this weekend I have a metric century ride (but I am riding the 20 miles to the race and back home to make it an American 100 miles!) on saturday so even when I hit my time for the week I know I have shortened the swim workouts.

For Gadgets I have a sensor for the ipod, but I typically only use the ipod for the tunes and often forget to hook in the reciever.  I have the trek cadence and speed computer on my tri bike (is a tri-bike a gadget?) and I have a couple of wetsuits that I use in OWS's and a pull-bouy that I ussually use in the lap pool.  My watch has a heart rate sensor and i have a heart rate monitor, but like you I do not use it.  Precieved effort (me puffing up the hill) is as much alarm as I can ussually handle.

June 1st is my HIM and I am pretty sure that I can complete it with the training I have already put in - however, to make sure I do not kill or injure myself, I certainly need to ramp up my swimming.

2008-03-13 2:39 PM
in reply to: #1270158

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

jsnowash - 2008-03-13 1:30 PM ...I'm curious... how many of you train with "gadgets"? The only "gadgets" I have are my 9.99 sports watch from Target, and a cadence computer on the bike. I used a HRM for a while, but after the transmitter batteries died, I never replaced it, and go mainly by feel now. No power meter, GPS, foodpod, or any other fancy stuff. I'm wondering if I will regret not using an HRM in my race. I'm a little worried about going out too hard on the bike and loosing it on the run. I still have the watch, so maybe I should bit the bullet and get a new transmitter... Any opinions?...

I'm a gadget guy...let's see...for the swim, 100-lap Timex chronograph...bike, cycle computer and will start using an HR monitor...run, HR monitor for training, Garmin GPS for racing (pacing)...

Plan on doing a marathon in May with just an HR monitor, as a 'training' run for my half iron...I will be running for over 4 hours, so it'll be a good time to monitor HR and nutrition in prep for my predicted 6 hour 40 minute HIM in June ...

2008-03-13 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1270387

User image

Master
sparco - 2008-03-13 12:39 PM

jsnowash - 2008-03-13 1:30 PM . . .Any opinions?...

...I will be running for over 4 hours, so it'll be a good time to monitor HR and nutrition in prep for my predicted 6 hour 40 minute HIM in June ...

What did you use to predict your time/set a goal time for you HIM?  Are you taking a percent of an Olympic extrapolated for the new distance, Marathon times and adding time to swim, or training times for all three events and adding a buffer?  I ask as I should set a goal and train towards it, but I am lost as to how to accomplish that without doing a HIM first (by then it is too late )

2008-03-13 3:04 PM
in reply to: #1270415

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
perkins_jerryw - 2008-03-13 2:49 PM
sparco - 2008-03-13 12:39 PM

jsnowash - 2008-03-13 1:30 PM . . .Any opinions?...

...I will be running for over 4 hours, so it'll be a good time to monitor HR and nutrition in prep for my predicted 6 hour 40 minute HIM in June ...

What did you use to predict your time/set a goal time for you HIM?  Are you taking a percent of an Olympic extrapolated for the new distance, Marathon times and adding time to swim, or training times for all three events and adding a buffer?  I ask as I should set a goal and train towards it, but I am lost as to how to accomplish that without doing a HIM first (by then it is too late )

Well, since it's my first HIM, I don't have lofty goals, but I used this site to estimate finish time.

The major factor in lowering the predict time hinges around training volume (they average your best 2 weeks of training in the last EDIT: 6 weeks).  I'm nowhere near the volume I need to be at right now (shooting for 10 hours a week). 

But a lot of folks are telling me the predicted time is much longer than what they think I can do it in.

At my last Olympic (which was actually my FIRST Olympic):
2:34s on the swim (yeah, I'm slow)
19 mph on the bike
8:46s on the run

From my most recent training www.triathloncalculator.com predicts:
1:56s on the swim
15 mph on the bike!  (so that leads to a question for you experienced HIMers out there...do you really need to hold back that much on the bike?)
10s on the run...that comes out to a 6:41 HIM (includes transitions)

Take it for what it's worth.  I'll be adjusting my predict as I get further into the season...

EDIT: I used this to predict my Olympic finish time and ended up beating the predicted time by 2 minutes...

Edited by sparco 2008-03-13 3:08 PM
2008-03-13 3:35 PM

User image

Master

I think I like that site, but it does think that I will finish in about 7 hours (6:58:12).  However, I guesstimated on some of the entries based upon last years races and not this years training (hard to believe but I do think I have improved over last year a little).

Thanks for the tip on the site.  As to your other question ( and I have zero HIM experience) I read a nice article on BT reposted in the forums about getting to the line that recommends a slower bike split to save the legs to finish the run strong rather than "walking" it or jogging and being passed by everyone.  There is a sweet spot that you have to find in doing your bricks where you know how hard to hammer the bike leg and still have the legs to run your interval pace well on the run with little or nothing left at the end (but not bonk before the finish line).  For me I have noted that 17/18 mph is good on a flat ride to still do a 10K strong.  I figure that I can build on that to 13.1 miles.  However, I can go faster on the bike and be significantly slower on the run, or slower on the bike and have xtra energy after running (not more speed just the knowledge that I could have given more!).

Hope you enjoy the experiment to find your sweet spot - if not, just look at the new excuse you have to do more bricks!

Edited by perkins_jerryw 2008-03-13 3:38 PM
2008-03-13 6:09 PM
in reply to: #1270233

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
gailg - 2008-03-13 1:53 PM

I have found the "don't need to stop and pee" point on my long rides (although I do know how to pee on the bike if necessary...)

That's a skill I just haven't managed to master yet... I reeeaaalllllyyy tried once during a race, but I just couldn't do it... It's still a little chilly here in PA for for that technique right now anyway!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early season HIM support/training group? Rss Feed  

of 10