General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early season HIM support/training group? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-01-09 2:10 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: Early season HIM support/training group?
Hi all,

I'm Jenny, a regular member here at BT -- but I do more lurking than actual posting...

I'm a 45 year old woman, entering my 3rd triathlon season, with aspirations of completing my first HIM distance event in early June. I thought it might be fun/motivational to form a virtual training/support group of BT athletes who will also be doing early season HIM distance races.

This would be sort of like a mentor or challenge group. We could post questions, share training and nutrition strategies, vent our frustrations, etc. to this thread, and offer each other support and encouragement as we travel down the road to HIM. If you're interested in joining - please jump right in!

I'll start with a little info on myself....

I started doing triathlons in the summer of 2006. At the time, it was a way to get myself motivated to get back into shape after a couple years of very little exercise. I've lost about 30 lbs along the way, and am in pretty decent shape now (although, the holidays and a month and a half of minimal training have taken their toll!).

During my first seaon, I did several sprint distance races, one olympic distance race at the end of the summer, and finished off my season with a half-marathon. Last summer, I did two olympic distance races, and actually felt like I could "race" the one that was later in the season! I also did several sprint races, and did my first full marathon in November.

This season, my big goal is HIM. I'm targeting Black Bear (in Pennsylvania) on June 1. I decided an early season HIM would work best for me, because I'm a "stay-at-home" mom, with 3 elementary school-age children. It's easier for me to get the volume of training in to prepare for HIM while the kids are in school than it would be for me to do the same during the summer when they're out of school.

I officially started my HIM training plan this week, and would love to have some BT training partners to share my journey with! If you're doing an early season HIM, and would like to share the experience with fellow BT'ers doing the same, please join in!

2008-01-09 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1145711

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Early season HIM support/training group?
Hi Jenny,
I'm doing a late June HIM in preparation for Ironman Louisville at the end of August. I'm stretching out my training plan by 3 weeks to fit in the HIM and an OLY in May, so I officially start training next week.

I did my first HIM last summer (Steelhead) and loved it! I even loved the training.

It's smart for you to train while the kids are in school. I may have to send mine to day camp during my peak weeks over the summer.

I'm adding you to my friends list and I look forward to training with you!
2008-01-09 2:28 PM

User image

Hi, Jenny -- I'd like to be part of your support group.  I am planning my first HIM in May, a week before my 42nd birthday.  You and I seem to be about the same speed for swim and bike, although I've been running pretty slowly first due to chronic leg problem and then due to rehab from the surgery to fix it.  I am in my second week of my training program now and am fortunate to live in a warm-weather-winter climate so I can swim, bike, and run outside.

Gail

2008-01-09 5:10 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
My early season HIM will be in mid April, here in VA. The lake temp might be interesting. 2 years ago it was in the mid 60's, last year it was in the 50's. This race will be a prep for IMCdA. My other 2 HIM's have been in the fall; this is the first winter I will have to suck it up and ride outside in the cold.
2008-01-09 5:21 PM

User image

Expert

This is great.  I am in my 3rd season, I have done 4 triathlons so far.  My first HIM is May 18 (Florida HIM).  I think it is a little out of my league for an early season triathlon but I am helping to raise money for wounded veterans.  I'm looking for all the support and help I can get during my training.  I've been a little down lately so to see this thread was very exciting.

2008-01-09 7:18 PM

Veteran
Hi,

i would love to take part but my plans of an "early in the season" tri are gone. i haven't been able to swim in ages so i hope i will be doing one at the end of 08.

I would still love to be able to join the group. I posted a thread sometime ago about 40+ girls doing ironman races and had some good response.

how will you all be getting in touch? Via the thread or blog?

I should have started my blog sometime ago but have been feeling very low about my training.

2008-01-09 8:13 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hey! Good to see some interest in this!

I was basically envisioning this working sort of like the mentor group threads work (take a look at a few of those threads if you're not familar with them). We can use this thread to post our questions, concerns, frustrations, suggestions, etc.

I see that most of you that have responded are using the BT training logs, which is good. We can also use those to "inspire" each other along the way.

So, I'll throw out a question...

What sort of training plans are you all using? I am "self-coaching", and have basically cobbled together a program of my own using bits and pieces of various free on-line plans I have found. Like I said, my "plan" just started this week -- so I've got a loooonnnng way to go!

Happy training, everyone!
2008-01-09 8:42 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
I just saw the link to this thread and here I am!

My name is Pam and 2008 is my fourth year of doing triathlons. I did 10 tris last year. 6 Sprints, 2 olys, 1 HIM, and 1 oly relay (bike leg). I am planning on doing 2 HIMs this year with my "early" season race being Mooseman on June 8 (and I even registered for it!).

As far as training plans, I was self-coached up until mid-season last year when I started to freak out over training for the HIM. I knew exactly how to train for short course, but no idea for long course so I invested in coaching. I liked the experience so much, that I continued it for this year.

I work minimal part-time at my local Y and am mom to two elementary school-age kids. I'm married to an avid cyclist. He supports my tri habit and about the only thing we fight about is training time! I figured it would be easier getting my base training done with the kids in school and if the summer goes to pot, at least I've done 1 HIM this year.

My ultimate goal is IMCDA either next year or (preferably) 2010 because that is the year I turn 40. I just started my training on January 1st. My biggest limiter is running and I've just started back after an injury in late August. Looking forward to chatting with you all as we ramp up to our big events!

Pam
2008-01-09 9:30 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I'll play. I'm doing the New Jersey Devilman HIM in early May. Will be the 4th year in a row I've started my season with this race as my first Triathlon. Having a challenging test like a HIM hanging over your head has always helped me work in the off season and focus on getting the base work in to make sure the course doesn't kick my tail. While I've never targeted this race as an 'A' race, I have set my PR here each of the last three years and that PR from last year still stands. Each year I focus on one area (2 years ago it was a strong bke leg, last year was a strong run over the 2nd half of the race).

Over the winter, I like to focus on the bike. I have a trainer and it gets alot of use. The bike is my weakest area but I also feel you get the most bang for your buck as you spend the most time on the bike in a race and the better bike shape you are in the fresher your legs are when you get off the bike. I also use the bike trainer sessions to visualize what I want to accomplish on race day. You'd be surprised how much those visualizations can help prepare you come race day.

As far as training plans go, I try to do periodization 2 weeks on - 1 easy in off season and 3 week on - 1 week easy as the season goes and I try to focuson a disclipine each "on week" but I don't use a hard and fast training plan, I play alot by ear.

Edited by southwestmba 2008-01-09 9:34 PM
2008-01-10 5:21 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I guess you must like Devilman! It's one of the races I was considering for an early season HIM, but I heard such horror stories about the swim, that I decided on another race (plus I thought it best to give myself a little more time to prep).

Interesting that you do 2 weeks on one week recovery in the off season and the other way 'round during the on season. I was actually planning on doing the opposite -- doing 3 weeks on 1 week off for the first couple of months, then shifiting to 2 weeks on one week off when the distance/intensity reach their peak to allow myself more recovery.
2008-01-10 8:56 AM

User image

I am racing Wildflower as my early-season HIM.  I have been working with a coach since leg surgery last year, and when he suggested it, I laughed really hard.  I didn't plan to do half distance till late this season or next year, and certainly not this one, but he says I'm ready and it'll be fun, and then he sent me the early season periodization map and the first month training plan, so here I am.  In addition, our club has put together a free training program designed specifically by our head coach for this race and a series of hill/hell rides just for the women to prepare for the course, so there's a LOT of local support.  I'm actually more worried about the camping part of it!

My plan is set in 4-week chunks that build in (intensity/volume combination) over the 4, then drop at the start of the next cycle, so the "first" week of the cycle is a recovery week.

2008-01-10 12:58 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
2.5 miles of run/walking complete today. Running is my weakness yet I haven't been able to run for 3 months healing a pulled hip flexor. So I'm on the slow and frustrating journey of trying to regain everything I lost since September. This is where I am listening to my coach and doing only what she says. The injury occurred when I re-arranged some of her workouts. Lesson learned!

Pam
2008-01-10 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hi Pam,

Running is my weakness, too, and the one I've been working hardest on since I started all this... I hear your frustration! But you're wise to take it easy and let yourself heal up! I myself have an on again/off again hamstring issue that I have to be mindful of... It's doing pretty well at the moment, but still not 100%, so I still can't push things too hard or I might risk aggravating it again.

I'd love to work with a coach some day, but I might wind up divorced.... DH is supportive of my tri habit, and doesn't mind the time I spend training, but he DOES get a little testy about the money I spend on the sport! I guess I just gotta win the lottery or something...
2008-01-10 4:26 PM
in reply to: #1148213

User image

barqhead - 2008-01-10 10:58 AM 2.5 miles of run/walking complete today. Running is my weakness yet I haven't been able to run for 3 months healing a pulled hip flexor. So I'm on the slow and frustrating journey of trying to regain everything I lost since September. This is where I am listening to my coach and doing only what she says. The injury occurred when I re-arranged some of her workouts. Lesson learned! Pam

I'm on an enforced run-walk recovery after straining a hip muscle, too, Pam, so I'm very sympathetic!  Next weekend I'm officially allowed to run straight again.  Hang in there...you'll get it back without too much difficulty. 

2008-01-10 4:43 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
I'm in for a little support.  Perhaps we could have Ron set one up in the Mentoring forum.
2008-01-11 5:53 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Welcome! Glad to finally see a guy here! I actually PM'd Ron about the idea of setting up this group, but I never heard back from him, so I just decided to go ahead and set it up here. This seemed like a logical location...

How is everyone's training going? I'm coming to the end of my first week of my HIM plan, and feeling pretty good. I'm a little tired, though, and hope I'm not doing too much too soon. Today and tomorrow are relatively easy days, followed by rest on Sunday, so hopefully I'll be feeling fresher by the beginning of next week. I just don't want to overdo it early and burn out before the real volume and intensity kick in!

2008-01-11 6:24 AM

Veteran
Count me in! I am doing Devilman on 5/4! This thread just reminded me that maybe I need to lay out a structured plan a little sooner than March. Its kind of tough right now to train that much with wrestling season in full swing but as long I can maintain during the week and hit my long runs and rides on the weekends I think I'll be fine. Being that Saturdays are matches all day my weekend will go like this Friday night long steady swim, Saturday long run before or after match, Sunday long ride. I don't mind running in the dark, I hate riding in the dark so that is why Im putting the long run Saturday instead of Sunday. When the season is over I'll switch them. I am also going to shoot to do a brick on the trainer every Wednesday in the AM.
2008-01-11 7:24 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Looks like this is going to be a great group! The remainder of my week looks like this: Friday - 1 hour trainer workout. Saturday - 40 minute run/walk. Sunday - 30 miles on the road bike. I am thinking about swapping the 30 miles and the trainer ride. Today the weather is clear. 70 percent chance of rain on Sunday. I think I'll go outdoors today and ride the trainer on Sunday. I do hate to swap workouts, though.

Pam
2008-01-11 7:37 AM

User image

I'm glad we're over here and not in the mentor collection!  We're really peers more than needing a mentor, anyway.

My weekend plan is to swim today (mid-distance day with my Masters team), bike tomorrow, and run Sunday.  The ride tomorrow is scheduled as 2.5 hours "flatish" with 7x2min intervals at 110+ rpm, but tomorrow is also the first women's hill/hell ride with my club, so I have a call in to the coach about doing that ride instead (he designed the hill/hell rides, too, so that helps).  That ride is 53 miles, 3000 feet of climbing overall, including a 9-mile ascent (~5% grade) up one of the canyons, so definitely NOT 'flat-ish.'  There are also options to shorten it, but I'd like to hang with the girlz as long as it doesn't affect my training next week.

BTW, my training logs are set as "friends only," so please feel free to add me if you want to use the Inspire feature, and I'll do the same. 

2008-01-11 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
I'm taking on the HIM distance July 12 at the Muncie Endurathon.

Just got back into Tri's last year after a little 18 year layoff. Last Tri was the 1989 Chicago Sun Times from what I recall. Had lots of stuff keeping me busy from tris, like the usual suspects, work, divorce, getting remarried, playing Mr Mom on my off days, etc.

Did two sprints and two Olys in 2007 and enjoyed training on a regular basis again.

Plan on following the 20 week BT HIM silver program, starting in late Feb. Right now I'm working on my running and swimming.

My first wrinkle in my training for the HIM just occured recently as I originally had planned on running a half mary in early April, but had some training for our search and rescue team come up which places me out of town for two weeks during that time frame, actually it's 4 days each week, but the days are 10-12 hours and are outside regardless of weather. Not sure running a half mary would be a good thing, as the FEMA collapse training I'll be involved in will be an arse kicker and I'm thinking I'll need to rest that weekend to make it through an even tougher week of training in week #2.

Looking forward to the adventure

Steve

Edited by rottieguy 2008-01-11 10:59 AM
2008-01-11 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
Tulsa
This is my second year of tri's. I'm doing IMCalifornia 70.3 in MARCH and IM Kansas 70.3 in June. I'm in the 10th week of my 20 week HIM plan. I need to work on my nutrition....I'm sure you guys can help with that.

2008-01-11 2:05 PM

User image

Regular
NYC
I'm in for Florida HIM in May. Training using the BT 1/2 iron plan.

I get some stomach issues, heart burn etc.. after long training days. I find myself eating anti-acids all the time. Is this due to nutrition? anybody else experiencing the same problem?
2008-01-11 2:46 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
What are you using to fuel with on your long training days? I think a lot of people have trouble with some kinds of gels, sports drinks, etc. You may have to experiment with different products and figure out what works best (or at least better) for your system.
2008-01-11 8:19 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I like to see what they are supplying on the course and try that. My fall back is good old gatorade and GU, with some endrolyte tablets. Most halfs don't offer fruit, but if they do grab a bannana (easy to digest, lot of energy, and helps with cramps). I try to get in a routine of drinking every 15 min and having a gel every 30 min on the bike and drink at each aid station and having a gel every 3-4 miles on the run. At my ironmans I found flat cola and chicken broth are god sends. After 7-8 hour of gatorade and GU you just get so sick of them, so cola (caffine and sugar) and broth (warm and salty) just pump energy into you. Whatever you do try it out prior to race day to make sure your stomach can handle it.

As for anyone doing the NJ Devilman, I really like the bike and run courses, and the Army Tri Team comes up each year, but I won't lie, the swim was a bit nasty. However, the RD has been working to make it better, promising to drain, dredge, and add stones to firm up the finish area. It was better last year and hopefully they will make some more gains this year. But it is flat, fast, and fun.
2008-01-12 9:59 AM

User image

Regular
South AL
After 4 consistent years of tris and over 10 with running (including 3 marathons), I began experiencing reflux issues this past season. I had no idea what it was at first because I would just get overcome nausea and vomiting without any warning. I had some tests run and was told it was reflux. I was skeptical at first due to the fact I don't eat or drink alot of the standard trigger foods. My problems were solely on the bike and not the run. After alot of research on my own, I have decided that the aggressive bike position is a huge factor with me. I had bought a new tri bike this past season too. Anyway, I am working on nutrition and taking Nexium also and hope to have it all cleared by this season.

I wanted to share my experience and hope that we can get some other feedback here. Good luck to everyone.

And IMFL is my A race again this year with Gulf Coast Half Im a warmup in May.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early season HIM support/training group? Rss Feed  

of 10