General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Rookie.....Extreme Rookie!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-23 9:42 PM

Subject: Rookie.....Extreme Rookie!!
Hello all.

I am excited and nervous at the same time. Nervous excitement. Very weird, as I have not even began training. I haven't even been to an actual triathlon. Crazy, I know. I just have a small inkling that I might actually finish one of these things one day!! I feel an addiction forming. It's meant to be....I've been thinking about it for years.

So, any advice to a rookie? I welcome it all.....since I tend to get a little overwhelmed at all the information I'm seeing. My weakest of the 3 would be the swimming. Haven't really done a whole lot of that in my 30 something years. Pretty decent at running and biking.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Renea

2008-01-23 9:55 PM
in reply to: #1173135

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Rookie.....Extreme Rookie!!

Welcome aboard to this addictive sport (s).  You've picked a great site with lots of great people to help you.  First and foremost is to have FUN!  I think best part of this sport is that 99% of the athlete are encouraging each other and helping everyone else do there best.  Heck we do drive ourselves to train this much to win but to do our best.  Work on your weakness so it doesn't become you down fall. 

Lots of us are still waiting to our first tri.  Hit the race report forum for some motivation.  

Dex and Sam the Dog 

2008-01-23 10:38 PM

User image

Canfield, Ohio
WELCOME Renea

I just joinged this site about a month ago and it it FANTASTIC!

I have not done many triathlons either, but I can tell you that thanks to this site my once weekness of Swimming is slowly but surely becoming a strength. So there is hope. Let me know if you need anything....
2008-01-24 1:48 AM

User image

Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi there from South Africa,

Just recently joined this site after completing my first Olympic triathlon a few weeks ago. The encouragement from everyone is fantastic and can't wait to resume pre-winter training at end of March.

I started with sprint triathlons two years ago and so far competed 6 sprints and 1 standard and the best advice I can give is hang in there, there are going to be times during training when you think that you are crazy but its all worth the effort when you cross the finish line and the feeling of great self-esteem when finishing any tri event regardless of the distance.

Good luck and kind regards

Hennie Greyvenstein
2008-01-25 10:04 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Renea,

Welcome to BT! 

Advice?  Start slowly, you're building a lifestyle.  It's easy to get wrapped up in new (and often expensive) gear, training PR's, and all and end up with closets full of hardly used stuff and a string of overuse injuries.  Make some friends, (here and locally). 

2008-01-25 6:15 PM

User image

Houston, TX
yeah the friends you get here will be great.  i was fortunate enough to have several BTers right in my area and had gotten together with them to ride within a couple weeks of joining the site.  really nice people all sharing the same passion makes for some fun times and exciting workouts.

2008-01-28 7:39 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Welcome Renea!

This site is full of great information for getting motivated and started on training.  Just wander all over the boards, lurk if you need to.  Ask questions whenever you need.  The January mentor groups started up and there may be some open mentor groups still available.  You will find a ton of support and encouragement in that area.  Sign ups for the Frebruary challenge are going on so you can hit that and join the fun.  I do lots of challenges because it has helped me push my training beyond an easy, comfortable amount and I've made several friends along the way.  This sport is addicting and its participants are a bit wacked at times but it's all  so worth it.

2008-01-28 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Welcome and yes it will be addicting! Like has already been said look around, ask questions and train, train, train (while having fun of course).
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Rookie.....Extreme Rookie!! Rss Feed