General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Logs - Swimming times Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-12 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1205922

User image

Subject: RE: Training Logs - Swimming times
Daremo - 2008-02-11 5:35 PM

There have been quite a few threads on this over the years.  Based on those the majority of people seem to log their entire time in the pool, which throws off the average per 100, but gives them a sense of the overall workout (assuming they do the same one) that they can compare to later.

I personally only log actual swim time and start/stop my watch after each swim interval.  So what I have in my log is exactly the pace I "swam" for my workout.  Others are different.  I just think this is a better gauge for me then logging overall time (plus it doesn't "pad" the training log .... ....)

Exactly the same for me. Philosophy and all.

2008-02-12 1:11 PM
in reply to: #1205912

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
I log actual time swimming, more or less.  Don't think it really matters since my swim pace hasn't varied much over the past decade.
2008-02-12 10:10 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
I do total time because stopping my watch at the end of every interval would really screw me up, especially if I'm swimming multiple tough intervals (like a 10 x 100 hard, RI=10" type workout). My brain simply can't function well enough when I'm panting and swimming that hard to count out relatively consistent rest intervals. When I use my watch it does the work for me so I can just focus on the swimming. Guess I'm too lazy to go back and subtract out my RIs. And I figure the interval splits are more important anyway.
2008-02-13 6:50 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I definitely log total time in the pool...but often put individual interval times in the comments so I can see speed improvement.

As long as you don't lollygag on the wall, you're still getting a better estimate of your fitness this way.  It doesn't matter how fast you can swim if you have to take long breaks to do it.

2008-02-13 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1208873

User image

Sensei
Sin City

This probably a repeat, BUT:

I put in the total time in the pool in my logs.  I let BT calc the pace, and yes, it's slower that the actual pace.

However, I take splits with my watch and add it to the notes of my workout - sometimes I will even hand calc paces and add them.  This gives me an idea of how fast I can actualy swim during efforts AND the total time of the workout.

Recently, I have been doing a little bit of a hybrid.  I include rest intervals in my total time if it is part of a workout, but if I stop to change equipment (get a board, adjust goggles, put on/take off hand paddels or fins) I stop the watch for that time, because it's not part of the workout.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Logs - Swimming times Rss Feed  

of 2