General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Out of Breath While Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-21 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Out of Breath While Swimming
I am scheduled to do my first tri in 9 weeks. My run and bike are fine (meaning I can complete both of them). The swimming is so frustrating and not getting much better! I am 47 and always felt I could "swim". If I fell off a boat and had to swim 500 meters to shore I am sure I could do it. It would be a combination of 50 different strokes and would take a while, but I could do it.

I have been training for the swim for about 5-6 weeks which includes working with a swim coach. I am swimming 3 x's a week, but starting this week I am pushing myself to do 4 x's a week. Although my form may not look pretty, I feel it is good enough to get the job done (I can work on improving my style later). What is so frustrating is I am completely out of breath after 25 meters. After a 2-3 minute rest I can go another 25 meters, but again I am completely out of breath at the end of the lap. The swim portion of the tri I am scheduled to do is a serpentine swim of 8 x 50 meters.

I am sure just like running and biking, I need to build endurance. It just feels like it is building extremely slow and I won't be ready for the tri. My first goal is to finish the Tri, but my ultimate goal is to finish without stopping (including the swim).

Any and all advice is appreciated!

P.S. - This site is great. Thanks for all the good advice I have read so far.

2008-02-21 8:40 AM
in reply to: #1225541

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: Out of Breath While Swimming
Swim slower, and make certain that you are fully and forcefully exhaling underwater.  And if you kick a lot on the swim, try not to kick so much.  Those big leg muscles use a lot of oxygen.
2008-02-21 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Carolina

jacasa - 2008-02-21 8:37 AM I am scheduled to do my first tri in 9 weeks. My run and bike are fine (meaning I can complete both of them). The swimming is so frustrating and not getting much better! I am 47 and always felt I could "swim". If I fell off a boat and had to swim 500 meters to shore I am sure I could do it. It would be a combination of 50 different strokes and would take a while, but I could do it. I have been training for the swim for about 5-6 weeks which includes working with a swim coach. I am swimming 3 x's a week, but starting this week I am pushing myself to do 4 x's a week. Although my form may not look pretty, I feel it is good enough to get the job done (I can work on improving my style later). What is so frustrating is I am completely out of breath after 25 meters. After a 2-3 minute rest I can go another 25 meters, but again I am completely out of breath at the end of the lap. The swim portion of the tri I am scheduled to do is a serpentine swim of 8 x 50 meters. I am sure just like running and biking, I need to build endurance. It just feels like it is building extremely slow and I won't be ready for the tri. My first goal is to finish the Tri, but my ultimate goal is to finish without stopping (including the swim). Any and all advice is appreciated! P.S. - This site is great. Thanks for all the good advice I have read so far.

yeah, I had a really hard time with my breathing. I found that I was out of breath because I was really kicking and "fighting" underwater. I found that for me it was more of a "form" issue. I started working on my form more and in so doing I found that I wasn't "fighting" so much and I found I wasn't out of breah so much.  

2008-02-21 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
NYC
Swimming is very different from almost any other athletic activity, in that you need to balance and support your body in the water. To do that you need to relax. As a beginner swimmer you don't need power to swim, instead you to slow down, relax, get good breaths, and propel yourself through the water.

Try swimming as SLOW and EASY as you can, breathing well, and see if that makes a difference. When you get out of breath, roll over on your back and just kick lightly.

Pick up the Total Immersion DVD and develop your stroke, it works wonders.

Good Luck!
2008-02-21 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
As Marley said to Scrooge, "I have no comfort to give." But if I was to collect a quarter from every post like yours, I'd have enough money to pay for lessons from an internatinal swimming coach for myself.

I, like so many others, am in EXACTLY the same boat you are in (hoping the boat doesn't tip and I end up having to swimming to shore). From what I gather, most advice I hear is to get as much pool time every week as you can, which you seem to be doing. Some people figure that things will start to somehow click just by being in the water, though this hasen't happened to me as of yet. I don't have a swim coach, but when I finish a 4 session tri class at the local Y, I found a coach/instructor, who is willing to give me private lessons at the local community fitness center I belong to. I'm wondering why your coach can't get you to breath comfortably in the water yet. I mean, if you're paying the coach for his/her time and expertise, then the breathing should be the first skill accomplished, I would think. If a coach tells me to blow bubbles in the shallow end with the 3 year olds, I'll do it if it gets me breathing in the pool.

While the folks here at BT have more than enough encouragement, support, and empathy to offer, some of us, you and me and thousands of others, need an actual, physical human being to observe, guide, and if necessary, yell, scream and smack us with pull buoys with a boot camp mentality. There are books to read and DVDs to view, and if any of those work for you, good news. But I would start with your coach. Maybe your coach is not the right coach for you.
2008-02-21 9:06 AM
in reply to: #1225551

User image

Champion
MA

newleaf - 2008-02-21 9:40 AM Swim slower, and make certain that you are fully and forcefully exhaling underwater. And if you kick a lot on the swim, try not to kick so much. Those big leg muscles use a lot of oxygen.

x2

If you don't fully exhale you are not fully breathing in new fresh air so you can feel out of breath. Try humming to blow out air as soon as your face gets in the water so when you are ready to take next breath you are empty and ready for fresh breath.

This happened to me to when I first started swimming too. 

2008-02-21 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks everyone! The best thing about your advice is you are reiterating what my swim coach has been telling me! I need to RELAX and slow down! It sounds like swimming is as much mental as it is physical (especially for a beginner). I will be going to the pool later today and will really focus on slow / relaxed strokes. I will update you all later!

2008-02-21 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

In swimming, you'll get a lot more out of improved form/efficiency than you will out of improved endurance.   I became a believer in this when I did just a bit of form work at the end of last season, and although I only got a little bit faster, I found I expended tons less effort. 

Work on your style now, not later (and if your coach isn't telling you that, you may want to look at a different coach). 

Check out Total Immersion books & videos.

2008-02-21 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Oddly, my boyfriend and I were discussing breathing and swimming just the other night.

I discussed how when I breathe when I'm swimming... I take short, shallow breaths. Meaning: I do not belly breathe. It's short breath in and I expel it all out while my head is in the water.

Mind you, I have been swimming for many years. I was a competitive swimmer in HS and I typically come out top 3 in my AG out of the water.

I think a lot of people have an issue with swimming... because breathing is LIMITED. You don't get as much air as you do running or on the bike. You have to learn how to work on a minimal amount of air.

That's just my theory though.

Otherwise, if your form is bad and you are figthing the water.... then that will make you out of breath too. And swimming MORE with bad form isn't really helping all that much.
2008-02-21 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Dodge Center, MN
If you don't think you will be able to make the swim in time you may want to get a wetsuit.
2008-02-21 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1225677

User image

Expert
tjh - 2008-02-21 9:20 AM

In swimming, you'll get a lot more out of improved form/efficiency than you will out of improved endurance.   I became a believer in this when I did just a bit of form work at the end of last season, and although I only got a little bit faster, I found I expended tons less effort. 

Work on your style now, not later (and if your coach isn't telling you that, you may want to look at a different coach). 

Check out Total Immersion books & videos.

go to the total immersion website....click on the free video samples...check out the freestyle. Until the book or dvd (the dvd is a must) arrive, try to copy their body position...TI made all the difference for me

2008-02-21 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
jacasa - 2008-02-21 6:37 AM

I am swimming 3 x's a week, but starting this week I am pushing myself to do 4 x's a week. Although my form may not look pretty, I feel it is good enough to get the job done (I can work on improving my style later). What is so frustrating is I am completely out of breath after 25 meters. After a 2-3 minute rest I can go another 25 meters, but again I am completely out of breath at the end of the lap. The swim portion of the tri I am scheduled to do is a serpentine swim of 8 x 50 meters.

I hate to say it so rudely, but if your form actually was "good enough to get the job done", then you wouldn't need a 2-3 minute rest after every half lap. It sounds to me like you're trying to get endurance first, form second, and clearly that's not working for you.

In truth, that doesn't really work for anyone. Swimming is about form, technique, and style - far more so than cycling or running. Time and again it has been proven that once you get the right basic form in place, then endurance and distance will fall into place. So unlike running and biking, you don't need to build endurance yet, you need to do work on your form now, not later.

One of the lessons of TI swimming is "don't practice struggle". TI doesn't talk about "training", it talks about "practicing" akin to piano lessons. Repeating the same wrong notes over and over without correcting them certainly isn't going to make you a better pianist; you have to strive to correct the wrong notes each time you play.

That's why you need to practice on form now, not later, and trust that distance will come.
2008-02-21 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1225844

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
brucemorgan - 2008-02-21 10:09 AM

jacasa - 2008-02-21 6:37 AM

I am swimming 3 x's a week, but starting this week I am pushing myself to do 4 x's a week. Although my form may not look pretty, I feel it is good enough to get the job done (I can work on improving my style later). What is so frustrating is I am completely out of breath after 25 meters. After a 2-3 minute rest I can go another 25 meters, but again I am completely out of breath at the end of the lap. The swim portion of the tri I am scheduled to do is a serpentine swim of 8 x 50 meters.

I hate to say it so rudely, but if your form actually was "good enough to get the job done", then you wouldn't need a 2-3 minute rest after every half lap. It sounds to me like you're trying to get endurance first, form second, and clearly that's not working for you.

In truth, that doesn't really work for anyone. Swimming is about form, technique, and style - far more so than cycling or running. Time and again it has been proven that once you get the right basic form in place, then endurance and distance will fall into place. So unlike running and biking, you don't need to build endurance yet, you need to do work on your form now, not later.

One of the lessons of TI swimming is "don't practice struggle". TI doesn't talk about "training", it talks about "practicing" akin to piano lessons. Repeating the same wrong notes over and over without correcting them certainly isn't going to make you a better pianist; you have to strive to correct the wrong notes each time you play.

That's why you need to practice on form now, not later, and trust that distance will come.

Thanks, and I appreciate the advice. It does make a lot of sense and I am anxious to get to the pool now!

Also, I took a quick look at the TI website. It looks like it will be very helpful!
2008-02-21 10:53 AM

User image

Pro
Reston

My questions for you are:

1. How often are you breathing?  Every other stroke?  Every third stroke (bilaterally)? 

2. Why are you still paying the same coach after 6 weeks if he/she can't help you swim more than 25 meters without needing a break?

Related to my first question(s), make sure that you are breathing as often as you need to, and make sure that you are ONLY exhaling underwater and ONLY inhaling when you rotate to take a breath.  If you are trying to exhale and inhale all with your head to the side, it's likely that you aren't able to get the amount of oxygen needed to carry on for more than a single length.  Assuming that you have a somewhat reputable coach, I would hope this isn't the case. 

If you are looking into using TI stuff, I would discuss it with your coach first to make sure you are both on the same page.

2008-02-21 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

This may have already been covered by another reply, but I'll add it anyway.

Most often what's happening when some one gets out of breath while swimming freestyle is because they're holding their breath while their face is in the water. Then they try to exhale AND inhale when their face is above water, and don't get a complete air exchange.

Exhale when you're looking down, so that when you roll to breathe, you're only inhaling. You'll get much better air exchange that way, and I bet you'll relax a whole lot more as well.

2008-02-21 11:13 AM

User image

Plattsburgh, NY
Style and form FIRST. . .volume and speed will follow.

2008-02-21 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
I purchased the Total Immersion DVD and have slowed down and relaxed and all of a sudden I'm swimming 100's of meters at a time and not getting out of breath like I used to. The whole premise goes against everything I've always done in sports "don't try as hard" but it makes me relax and allows me to use proper (at least better) form. Over time my hope is to take what I learn and get faster.
2008-02-21 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1225728

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

KSH - 2008-02-21 7:33 AM Oddly, my boyfriend and I were discussing breathing and swimming just the other night.

You really ought to save something for marriage....

2008-02-21 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1225959

User image

DC
briderdt - 2008-02-21 11:56 AM

This may have already been covered by another reply, but I'll add it anyway.

Most often what's happening when some one gets out of breath while swimming freestyle is because they're holding their breath while their face is in the water. Then they try to exhale AND inhale when their face is above water, and don't get a complete air exchange.

Exhale when you're looking down, so that when you roll to breathe, you're only inhaling. You'll get much better air exchange that way, and I bet you'll relax a whole lot more as well.

x2. This took me a while to get used to. Do you have a regular breathing pattern? Every three strokes is a good one as it will be very useful to have bilateral breathing skills for open water, but if you're just starting out every two might be more comfortable until you get a good form down. Make sure you are exhaling with your face in the water, not while your head is turned to the side looking for air. This will get you out of breath and probably some cramps too.
2008-02-21 2:11 PM

User image

New user
Sounds like everyone has a lot of the same recommendations. I just asked this question a couple of days ago because, I too, couldn't go very far without being totally winded. Just a couple things I have learned in the past few days that might help:

1. Check out Dave Scott's quick lessons on YouTube.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sYt8x_7uL48
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6SVfLvO5Z0M&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GUULNJEdKU8&feature=related

These three videos were great short technique videos. I found that if I really focused on the technique drills he gives, I glide much more efficiently in the water and I am using less effort.

2. Try to kick less and work on your stroke a little more. I improved immensely in just two days.

3. Try using a float between your legs and work on just arm technique and breathing. TOTALLY SAVED ME ON EXERTION AND RUNNING OUT OF BREATH while helping me improve my stroke.

4. Finally, I found that with the 3 stroke breathing (bilaterally), after I take a breath, I take two strokes and then start breathing out as I start my third stroke so as I turn I am pushing out my breath and am prepared to take a breath when I am completing my 3rd stroke and turning to breath.

These things helped ME tons. Maybe not you but it doesn't hurt to try! It didn't hurt me!

FiremanMc
2008-02-21 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1225551

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
newleaf - 2008-02-21 9:40 AM

Swim slower, and make certain that you are fully and forcefully exhaling underwater.  And if you kick a lot on the swim, try not to kick so much.  Those big leg muscles use a lot of oxygen.

I did the above and it solved my out of breath problem. See how slow you can swim next time you are at the pool. Try to go slower then the old lady next you doing the elemental back stroke!

Goodluck and keep us posted!

2008-02-21 3:47 PM
in reply to: #1225624

Veteran
Orange County, CA
KathyG - 2008-02-21 9:06 AM
This happened to me to when I first started swimming too. 

Yup, me, too. I'll repeat that it is important to exhale fully underwater to free up space to take in fresh air/oxygen. When I was starting out I'd not expel enough air underwater, so when I'd rotateo my head to breathe in, I was still working on the exhale, and just didn't get enough air in me.

Ditto on relaxing more in the water, and only small movements with your legs. Glide through the water. Make smooth movements. Rotate enough so that your arms and upper body aren't fighting the water.

Practice, practice, practice.
2008-02-22 8:09 AM

User image

Urbana, Maryland

I'm still relatively new to triathlon and can honestly say that the swim was my biggest hurdle. When I started training for my first race, I couldn't swim 50 meters without gasping for air. About 5 weeks into my training I realized that I wasn't making any progress on my own so I found a training plan/program (which opened my eyes to why I wasn't making much progress) and followed it closely. Over the next several weeks I could tell I was becoming more efficient in the water and my endurance increased. Six weeks later I raced in my first triathlon and surprised myself by coming out of the water in the middle of my group. You can do it!

2008-02-22 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

When I started, I was just like you. Here's what I found:

1. TI was a great resource. Learned a ton.

2. (from TI) press your chest into the water. this forces your but up and makes you more hydrodynamic - this is a big part of swimming with a lot less effort.

3. Forcefully exhale. I still have to remind myself of this.

4. Breath on every stroke. Learn to breath on both sides - it will be helpful in open water swims. But, by breathing on every stroke (i.e. every left side or every right side) you get more oxygen assuming you are making room in your lungs for more oxygen. this keeps you more aerobic therefore no breaks.

5. don't fight the water. slow and easy. much easier to do if you are doing #2 above.

For some encouragement, my first workout was a 300yd swim (25 thrashing yards at a time) and I thought I was going to drown. A year and a half later, I swim 1500 - 2000 yds non-stop with no problem. Not fast but steady and easy.

Finally, fire your swim coach. doesn't sound like s/he's helping much. 

2008-02-22 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
I had a training session this morning and felt I made some progress. My trainer has been telling me a lot of the same advice I have seen on here. Today we worked on finding the comfortable speed and stroke. She had me go as fast as I could and then as slow as I could and then try to find the right speed somewhere in between.

Some laps I felt good after and some I didn't, but there is progress. I can envision in my mind what I need to do. Now I just need to transfer that to actually doing it in the water. I am looking forward to tomorrow!

I want to thank everyone on here for their encouragement and advice. It really has helped. I will continue to update you. My tri is 8 weeks from tomorrow and I know I will be ready!

I plan on having my wife video tape me swimming this weekend so I can see what my form looks like. I am sure it is not what I envision. Has anyone else used video of their stroke? Has it helped?

Edited by jacasa 2008-02-22 9:45 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Out of Breath While Swimming Rss Feed  

of 2