of 2

2008-02-24 8:15 AM
in reply to: #1226515

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Out of Breath While Swimming
gmcclung - 2008-02-21 3:11 PM

Sounds like everyone has a lot of the same recommendations. I just asked this question a couple of days ago because, I too, couldn't go very far without being totally winded. Just a couple things I have learned in the past few days that might help:

1. Check out Dave Scott's quick lessons on YouTube.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sYt8x_7uL48
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6SVfLvO5Z0M&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GUULNJEdKU8&feature=related

These three videos were great short technique videos. I found that if I really focused on the technique drills he gives, I glide much more efficiently in the water and I am using less effort.

2. Try to kick less and work on your stroke a little more. I improved immensely in just two days.

3. Try using a float between your legs and work on just arm technique and breathing. TOTALLY SAVED ME ON EXERTION AND RUNNING OUT OF BREATH while helping me improve my stroke.

4. Finally, I found that with the 3 stroke breathing (bilaterally), after I take a breath, I take two strokes and then start breathing out as I start my third stroke so as I turn I am pushing out my breath and am prepared to take a breath when I am completing my 3rd stroke and turning to breath.

These things helped ME tons. Maybe not you but it doesn't hurt to try! It didn't hurt me!

FiremanMc

The videos are a big help, thanks! There is a lot of good advice on them and it is nice to "see" what my coach has been trying to teach me. Also, I was experimenting with breathing yesterday while at the pool. I tried your "every third stroke" suggestion. The coordination is much more difficult than I thought. I am going to try it again today as I feel if I can get it down it will help. If I can't get it down now I will definitely work on it after my tri. Thanks again!

2008-02-24 9:51 PM
in reply to: #1225624

User image

Pro
Texas
KathyG - 2008-02-21 9:06 AM

newleaf - 2008-02-21 9:40 AM Swim slower, and make certain that you are fully and forcefully exhaling underwater. And if you kick a lot on the swim, try not to kick so much. Those big leg muscles use a lot of oxygen.

x2

If you don't fully exhale you are not fully breathing in new fresh air so you can feel out of breath. Try humming to blow out air as soon as your face gets in the water so when you are ready to take next breath you are empty and ready for fresh breath.

This happened to me to when I first started swimming too.

This is just the opposite of what my swim coach taught me. She taught me to hold the breath until I'm almost ready to surface, at which point I forcefully expel the air just before I come up for air. I mean if it works for you then great, but this has pretty much solved my breathing issues.

Edited by JBrashear 2008-02-24 9:52 PM
2008-02-24 10:35 PM
in reply to: #1225541

User image

Veteran
NYC
I agree with KathyG and some of the other posters, start blowing out as soon as you put your face in the water. Some advanced swimmers can hold it to maintain more bouyancy and blow out at the last second, but from my experience most beginner/intermediate swimmers need more oxygen and can't get it if they don't empty their lungs first. Once I learned to blow out as soon as I put my face back in the water I felt like I could swim forever.
2008-02-24 11:17 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
A lot of people think the panic-y, "I'm out of air and have to breath now!" is caused by lack of oxygen, so breathing more deeply or more often will solve it.

But that's untrue - the "out of air" feeling is actually caused by buildup of CO2 in your lungs, not lack of oxygen. There's still nearly half of the oxygen left when you exhale the air, but that doesn't matter - it's the CO2 that makes you want more air.

The solution is to fully exhale to clear the lungs of CO2. And to do that, you need to exhale continuously (or mostly continuously) underwater. Is is very difficult to both fully exhale and grab a full shot of air in the short time your mouth is out of the water, so don't even try. The hold-your-breath, exhale-really-forcefully, inhale-really-hard school doesn't work for very many people.

Most people also find it easier to exhale through the nose, and inhale through the mouth. This makes it easier to exhale smoothly underwater while still getting enough air in.
2008-02-25 5:23 AM

Veteran
South Florida
Does Dave Scott sell a swim video? His stuff looks great.
2008-02-25 2:42 PM
in reply to: #1233093

User image

Pro
Texas
brucemorgan - 2008-02-24 11:17 PM

The solution is to fully exhale to clear the lungs of CO2. And to do that, you need to exhale continuously (or mostly continuously) underwater. Is is very difficult to both fully exhale and grab a full shot of air in the short time your mouth is out of the water, so don't even try. The hold-your-breath, exhale-really-forcefully, inhale-really-hard school doesn't work for very many people.

I should clarify in case this was directed at my post. The method I mentioned has you blowing the air out _before_ you surface, you're simply blowing it out forcefully just before you hit the surface. It isn't designed to blow out and breathe in while your mouth is above water.

2008-02-25 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Well, tonight was a big breakthrough and really solidified a lot of the advice you all have given me. I went to the pool to work on my form and swim some laps. After my first two I was again breathless and VERY frustrated. That is when I saw the guy in the lane next to me swimming slowly but effortlessly with a buoy between his legs. I grabbed one (no, not the one he was using) and decided to give it a shot. What a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could actually swim 25 meters without huffing and puffing. I focused on my form with my arms and my breathing seemed to come a lot more naturally. I even swam my last four laps with alternate breathing (which I thought I would never be able to do).

I still have a long long way to go, but for the first time I really feel like I will be there before April 19th.

Thanks to everyone that gave advice. It has helped. Now I can't wait till tomorrow morning to go back to the pool!
2008-02-25 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
NYC
Great job and congrats. It seems that you may have diagnosed your problem: your hips are sinking and you need to learn balance and stability in the water. When your hips sink, it makes it very hard to get a good breath.

Do some of the TI drills to practice stability and balance. Now that you know your problem, work on resolving it. Figuring out issues with your technique and fixing them is what swimming is about, and while you are doing that you'll build your yardage and improve your endurance.

Keep it up, isn't it much more fun when you can breathe?
2008-02-26 2:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Kailua-Kona now in Oregon,
I had this same problem, as many others have said as well. My first day at masters the coach told me I was holding my breath (not breathing out all the way). I didn't agree with him (so what if he used to coach Mark Spitz...) cause I felt I was exhaling all the way.

I was breathing bilaterally on every third stroke. (At least I wanted to look like a pro with my breathing.) But by the time I got to the end of the pool (25 yards) I was out of breath.

Anyhow, the coach had me start breathing on one side with every stroke on that side. And to my amazement I got to the end of the pool and was breathing like I hadn't even swam. That was a about 2 to 3 weeks ago. I can now swim pretty much as far as I want, just because I am breathing more often.

This may not be your problem but if you are only taking a breath every three or 5 strokes you may want to try every 2 strokes (breathe on one side) just to see if the increased breathing helps.
2010-03-20 10:17 AM

New user
I have similar issues. I would like to converse with you on an ongoing basis if possible. If and when I have breakthroughs I'll share with you and vice versa? I'm going to the pool today and I'm scheduled to swim 800 yards in 18 minutes (following the plan on BT), and I'm wondering how in the world that will happen. I struggle with my breathing and have been told 3 different things by 3 different people- that really helps!

do you breathe on just one side or both? most people breathe on their right side. I've found that my breathing is better on my left, I rotate better and don't pull my head out of the water as much. Maybe that is worth a try. I also stand in shallow water and breathe from side to side, and that helps. Let's help each other if we can, what do you say?

When is your first tri? Is it a sprint? My first is in 45 days and counting, I'm getting nervous and excited. Keep working!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Out of Breath While Swimming Rss Feed  

of 2