Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Project Runway (possible spoilers) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-03-05 10:10 PM

Subject: Project Runway (possible spoilers)
Um...so....??? There seem to be a lot of PR fans out there. Let's weigh in

2008-03-06 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1255407

Subject: RE: Project Runway (possible spoilers)
Anyone? Bueller?
2008-03-06 7:47 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
I like Doritos.
2008-03-06 7:48 AM
in reply to: #1255717

newleaf - 2008-03-06 8:47 AM I like Doritos.

A$$. Did you watch it? I know you're in the a closet fan.

2008-03-06 7:49 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Yes, of course I did, after the college bowling.  I was rooting for Jillian, only because on one episode, she jumped up and down after a challenge, and she was wearing thigh-highs and garters.  Of course, Christian probably was as well.
2008-03-06 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

sooooo disappointing.  you got the impression they didn't even need the runway show b/c the judges had already made up their mind on the winner.  (then again, one of the judges is a firm client - so I can't disparage this person)

But count me in the percentage of Americans who just don't get it.  I thought Christian's two/tone Bjork wanna-be swan dresses where HIDEOUS - but they seemed to be the show stoppers.

At least Top Chef is coming back, I can relate to food...

2008-03-06 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1256041

condorman - 2008-03-06 10:41 AM

sooooo disappointing.  you got the impression they didn't even need the runway show b/c the judges had already made up their mind on the winner.  (then again, one of the judges is a firm client - so I can't disparage this person)

But count me in the percentage of Americans who just don't get it.  I thought Christian's two/tone Bjork wanna-be swan dresses where HIDEOUS - but they seemed to be the show stoppers.

At least Top Chef is coming back, I can relate to food...

I think Christian's collection was definitely the least wearable. And he did have way too much black in the beginning, and the outfits were all really similar. Personally, I actually liked Rami's the best, and I don't even really like Rami. Jillian's was pretty decent too - she LOVES to do those fitted, equestrian-looking, flouncy-tailed coats...

I think Christian has a lot of potential, so maybe it's good that he won. Jillian already works for Ralph Lauren, so it's not as if she couldn't possibly make any other connections.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-03-06 9:45 AM
2008-03-06 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

Victoria Beckham as a judge? I mean puhlease!!! she is a singer she dresses for attention in some totally ridiculous stuff.  Christian's collection is perfect for her - and for women who don't eat (did you hear him tell the uber skinny model not to eat??)

I thought that gown that the judges drooled over was HIDEOUS.

I thought Jillian's collection was gorgeous, wearable, detail oriented and she deserved to win. 

2008-03-06 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1256056

drchaya - 2008-03-06 10:45 AM

Victoria Beckham as a judge? I mean puhlease!!! she is a singer she dresses for attention in some totally ridiculous stuff. 

Yeah, I didn't get that either. Esp. when they've had other "real" designers as guest judges - they couldn't get anyone else to do the finale?!?!

2008-03-06 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I thought it was really anti-climactic also. I think it's been building up to Christian's winning for a long time. I was really hoping they'd surprise me, and I was hopeful, as I said, when I saw the collections. I thought Jillian's was more wearable, and really stepped outisde of what had been her strengths. I thought she should have been rewarded for her courage (adding knitwear was esp risky, since none of them have ever shown knitwear, for obvious reasons).
I can't argue with Christian's talent, but I was hoping for a surprise.

I also thought Victoria Beckham was a bad choice for the final. Maybe for an earlier show, she would have been fine. For one thing, I thought her selection as guest judge put Jillian at a huge disadvantage, since Victoria would never wear anything like the stuff Jillian designed.

2008-03-06 10:23 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I was disappointed with the outcome.  I really liked Jillian and Rami's collections.  There were things in both that I would wear and I could definitely see other people wearing.  I didn't get Christian's.  Maybe I'm not fashionable enough, but it just didn't seem wearable.  Maybe for Posh, but not for an everyday person.

2008-03-06 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1256052

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
wurkit_gurl - 2008-03-06 9:44 AM

I think Christian's collection was definitely the least wearable. And he did have way too much black in the beginning, and the outfits were all really similar. Personally, I actually liked Rami's the best, and I don't even really like Rami. Jillian's was pretty decent too - she LOVES to do those fitted, equestrian-looking, flouncy-tailed coats...

I think Christian has a lot of potential, so maybe it's good that he won. Jillian already works for Ralph Lauren, so it's not as if she couldn't possibly make any other connections.

Yea, I felt like the first 5 or so outfits from him were all the same... tight black pants and a jacket. Too much stuff that was similar.

I felt like Rami had a collection going. And it crossed the lines of wearable and couture (? spelling). Really, a fashion show... the clothes aren't meant to be worn by real human women for day to day stuff. They are suppose to show items that are interesting, creative and fresh.

I loved Christian through the whole show, but I felt like Rami brought more diversity to his collection.

Jillian... eh. Some cute stuff. It all looked like clothes she would wear.

Oh and she quit her job at Ralph Lauren, so she won't be going back there.
2008-03-06 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1256291

KSH - 2008-03-06 11:53 AM  Jillian... eh. Some cute stuff. It all looked like clothes she would wear. Oh and she quit her job at Ralph Lauren, so she won't be going back there.

Whoops! I bet she's really regretting that move, eh? She must have been convinced that she would win...

2008-03-06 12:15 PM

User image

I saw the runway, but fell asleep before the annuoncement.  After the runway I had doubts that Christian would win, but oh well, he is the annointed one......  But talk about costumy?  I mean Chris' stuff was high art compared to Christian's

I thought Jillian's were a little too same same, the first 5 or so outfits all had that riding pants NY look.  Rami surprised me

The best dress was the blue gown, think it was Rami?  It was gorgeous.

Edited by ChrisM 2008-03-06 12:16 PM
2008-03-06 12:25 PM
in reply to: #1256492

ChrisM - 2008-03-06 1:15 PM

I saw the runway, but fell asleep before the annuoncement.  After the runway I had doubts that Christian would win, but oh well, he is the annointed one......  But talk about costumy?  I mean Chris' stuff was high art compared to Christian's

I thought Jillian's were a little too same same, the first 5 or so outfits all had that riding pants NY look.  Rami surprised me

The best dress was the blue gown, think it was Rami?  It was gorgeous.

Yeah, I LOVED the green one with the woven top and flowy bottom that he did. I also liked the little suit he made in the blue, the color Michael Kors called 'Brady Bunch'. Call me Marsha, cuz I would totally wear that suit.

2008-03-06 12:29 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I liked Ramis the best.  Christian didn't have one thing a non model could wear. and that one outfit with the huge hat....it was like is there a person in there? because it looks like clothes are walking down the runway.  HATED Christians bird man of alcatraz dress too.  Jillian...I was pulling for her but I was luke warm about the whole thing.  I liked the 3 outfits Chris showed in his walk off against Rami and i wish we could have seen his whole collection. 

2008-03-06 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1256516

User image

Champion
New York, NY

Marsha Marsha Marsha

2008-03-06 12:35 PM
in reply to: #1256534

drchaya - 2008-03-06 1:31 PM

Marsha Marsha Marsha

Hehe. Honestly, though, I did really like the colors Rami used. I love that shade of blue (I have a dress that color and it gets lots of compliments), I loved that shade of red, black is always good, the olive green dress was stunning, as was the creamy dress at the end. All colors that I would wear. And I have a pretty decen fashion sense - I get compliments on my clothes all the time. So Michael Kors can kiss my patooty (I do own a Michael Kors piece or two, but his color palette is pretty neutral, which is probably why Rami's scared him)

I'd also like to add that the blue and red that Rami used were all over the place this winter - again, pucker up, MK.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-03-06 12:36 PM
2008-03-06 1:28 PM
in reply to: #1256056

User image

Master
State of Confusion
drchaya - 2008-03-06 9:45 AM

Victoria Beckham as a judge? I mean puhlease!!! she is a singer she dresses for attention in some totally ridiculous stuff.  Christian's collection is perfect for her - and for women who don't eat (did you hear him tell the uber skinny model not to eat??)

I thought Jillian's collection was gorgeous, wearable, detail oriented and she deserved to win. 

X2. I did think Christian's was very artsy and creative, just too much for the average woman. I could see myself in Jillian's clothes. Rami's was okay...very boring in comparison, except for his gowns.

2008-03-06 2:28 PM
in reply to: #1256705

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
NightOwl - 2008-03-06 11:28 AM
drchaya - 2008-03-06 9:45 AM

X2. I did think Christian's was very artsy and creative, just too much for the average woman. I could see myself in Jillian's clothes. Rami's was okay...very boring in comparison, except for his gowns.

You know, I wondered why they had Victoria Beckham too! It finally occurred to me (much later) that the panel consisted of: a designer, an industry person who sold fashion to others, and a consumer. Still not sure why VB was chosen as the best consumer to judge, but maybe she had the day free on her calendar???

Jillian's was definitely the most wearable looking, but I'm not sure that's what the Fashion Week runways are really about. I think that they are meant to be more conceptual and then the "real clothes" come out later. Like when they did the avant garde challenge. Foofy 45 yards of fabric ruffles turn into a small placket ruffle on a dressy blouse. Christian's collection really was the most representative of a conceptual type of show.

Rami's stuff was (as always) very elegant and creative. He just annoyed the snot out of me by only ever doing the same drapey style. I thought it was interesting that they told Christian that his line was too black, and then told Rami that the colors weren't good. Not sure where "just right" would have been on that one.

I was hoping that Christian would win so I am probably a bit biased. I have to admit though, that it will be one of Jillian's jackets that I'll figure out how to copy and none of Christian's stuff.

Interestingly, Simplicity Patterns has a Project Runway line of patterns. They are geared toward newbie sewing people who are young teenagers I think.  No buttons, no zippers,  and 90% of them awful in my opinion. (Lots of bubble dresses...shudder) Just saw that runway show on Saturday. Blech. I was hoping for a pattern for some of the actual PR garments. So did not get that at all. Oh well.

2008-03-06 2:28 PM
in reply to: #1256705

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I liked rammi's stuff the best.  And if it was based on the last show, I think he should have won.

However, I'm thinking they took eveything in consideration, intentionaly or not.  Probably that Christian's entire body of work during the series was good, his quirky personallity, his potential, his back ground (rammi and jillian already has a studios) and that he was a fan favorite.....  Just my .02

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-03-06 2:29 PM

2008-03-06 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1256883

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
Aikidoman - 2008-03-06 3:28 PM

I liked rammi's stuff the best.  And if it was based on the last show, I think he should have won.

However, I'm thinking they took eveything in consideration, intentionaly or not.  Probably that Christian's entire body of work during the series was good, his quirky personallity, his potential, his back ground (rammi and jillian already has a studios) and that he was a fan favorite.....  Just my .02

good point and something my wife and I were talking about after the show - that if they judge not only on the last runway but the whole show - I can see Christian's win.  Was he even ever in the elimination?  I don't remember him ever being in the bottom 3.

2008-03-06 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1257057

User image

Sensei
Sin City
condorman - 2008-03-06 1:18 PM

good point and something my wife and I were talking about after the show - that if they judge not only on the last runway but the whole show - I can see Christian's win.  Was he even ever in the elimination?  I don't remember him ever being in the bottom 3.

Yes, once with the aweful prom dress.....

2008-03-06 3:28 PM
in reply to: #1257075

User image

Aikidoman - 2008-03-06 1:21 PM

yeah, but he said that wasn't his fault, it was the demanding teenager!!

2008-03-06 3:34 PM
in reply to: #1257110

User image

Sensei
Sin City
ChrisM - 2008-03-06 1:28 PM
Aikidoman - 2008-03-06 1:21 PM

yeah, but he said that wasn't his fault, it was the demanding teenager!!

That is true - but he needed to "handle" his client.  They realized he put a lot of work in the garment, but just needed to stand up to the client.  Something that will come with age I'm sure....  He has the attitude.....

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Project Runway (possible spoilers) Rss Feed  

of 2