General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tempe International Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-04 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Subject: Tempe International Tri
I think a few of you have done this triathlon before? Do I need a wetsuit? I talked to the guy at triple sports and he said it is pretty warm by May and I am fine without one. He thought I might even get hot in one. What do you think? Instead of waiting for the water to warm up at the lake maybe I need to invest in one (I think my husband will go into cardiac arrest if I ask for one more tri thing-LOL)? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2008-04-04 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1315841

User image

Elite
the desert
Subject: RE: Tempe International Tri

I think the ruling last year is that it was wetsuit legal.  There were plenty of folks with them on, but I was fine without it. It may come down to your comfort in Open Water versus using the wetsuit for warmth.

As far as buying one, you look at the various tri shops online and find something that is in Clearance.  I don't have a tri wetsuit - - I use a surfing wetsuit. As often as I use it, I just could see spending $$$$$ on it.

2008-04-04 11:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Flagstaff, AZ

I think the main factor with the wet suit decision is how comfortable you are swimming in open water.  I don't come from a swimming background and don't feel "at home" in the water.  To me the primary benefit of the wet suit is not the warmth, but the flotation.  It's basically like wearing a life jacket.  I can relax during the swim because I'm not worried about what will happen if I get a massive leg cramp or get kicked in the face because I know that I can roll over on my back and float indefinitely if I'm wearing the wet suit.  The other benefit is that I swim much faster in a wet suit.  The flotation and slick skin of the wet suit combine to make me at least 15 seconds per 100 faster at the pool.  I nearly slammed my head into the wall at the pool the first time I wore my wet suit there.  I've been told that wet suits offer much larger improvements to poor swimmers (like me) than they do to good swimmers because good swimmers already have proper body position in the water.

So my advice is to get a wet suit.  I think some of the shops have a deal where you can rent a wet suit and if you like it, you can apply your rental cost toward the purchase of a new one.  It seems that most of the triathlon/swimming wet suit companies offer a base, mid and top model of wet suit.  So long as you are looking at swim-specific wet suits (Orca, QR, xterra, desoto, etc....) and not surfing, diving or other general purpose wet suits. I think the base model is fine, particularly if you decide to get a sleeveless, because my understanding is that one of the differences between the base wet suits and those higher up in the product line is that the shoulder areas use some kind of rubber that is more expensive but more flexible.  (could just be marketing hype I don't know).

Just point out to your husband the whole safety issue and how the wet suit is like a life jacket

2008-04-04 11:47 PM
in reply to: #1317323

User image

Expert
Arizona
It will be wetsuit legal, regardless as to the water temp.

If it isn't, too many people won't participate.

No, I'm not kidding.

-Jot
2008-04-05 8:14 AM

Pro
AZ
Contrary to Jot's posting, and according to their website, they will make the call on race morning as to whether or not it will be wetsuit legal based on the water temperature that morning.  If it is a USAT sanctioned event, which it is, then USAT rules apply which I believe are: 
  • If the water temperature is 78 degrees or lower wetsuits are legal.
  • If the water temperature is between 78.1 - 83.9 degrees and you elect to wear a wetsuit, you will officially receive "0" USAT points for that event and no official time. 
  • If the water temperature is 84 degrees or higher, no one may wear wetsuits and everyone will receive series scoring points.

• Edited by StandsWithFist 2008-04-05 8:14 AM
    2008-04-05 9:33 AM
    in reply to: #1317506

User image

Expert
    Arizona
    Oh, that makes perfect sense...if you believe "the man"!

I know I've talked to the people who do the official temperature reading. I guess the
    bottom of the lake is much colder if they need it to be.

-Jot

2008-04-05 3:41 PM

User image

Elite
    Mesa, AZ
    Jot - Tanya is right there, while most races end up being wetsuit legal due to lake temps falling overnight and early morning readings tend to come in just below that magic 78 number there is no reason for an RD to risk losing a USAT sanction just to allow some people to wear their wetsuits.

I am sure some long-time racers could tell you a number of races at TTL that have NOT been wetsuit legal.
    2008-04-05 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
    Big Bear City, California
    dmillis states it pretty much perfectly. The wetsuit for me is more for flotation and safety than warmth. I did Tempe International last year and it was wetsuit legal even though the air temps had been hovering around 100 for a week. So unless we get a major heat wave I would imagine it will be wetsuit legal.
    2008-04-05 10:28 PM
    in reply to: #1317829

User image

Expert
    Arizona
    sportyj - 2008-04-05 1:41 PM

Jot - Tanya is right there, while most races end up being wetsuit legal due to lake temps falling overnight and early morning readings tend to come in just below that magic 78 number there is no reason for an RD to risk losing a USAT sanction just to allow some people to wear their wetsuits.

I am sure some long-time racers could tell you a number of races at TTL that have NOT been wetsuit legal.

I will retreat from the field unpersuaded.

If the water is in the high 80's I'd bet they go "no wetsuit", but anything lower than that I predict will miraculously becomes wetsuit legal.

I have on good authority that Nathan's last year was over temp.

Now, back to the real discussion of wetsuits. I agree. I "float" about 6 inches under the water without a wetsuit. I float without effort with one. Given my Nathan's performance, I find it hard to imagine me racing without one.

-Jot
    2008-04-06 1:16 AM
    in reply to: #1318389

User image

Elite
    Mesa, AZ
    gamebofh - 2008-04-05 8:28 PM

If the water is in the high 80's I'd bet they go "no wetsuit", but anything lower than that I predict will miraculously becomes wetsuit legal.

Now, back to the real discussion of wetsuits. I agree. I "float" about 6 inches under the water without a wetsuit. I float without effort with one. Given my Nathan's performance, I find it hard to imagine me racing without one.

-Jot

I find it FASCINATING that the EXACT same race a year before (Called Timex at the time) was NOT wetsuit legal and that is a fact.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Keeping with the original intent of this thread I think it is irresponsible to lead new triathletes on to think that races will be wetsuit legal no matter what because you are going on "good authority" when the FACT is the call is made according to USAT rules. So the point is to always be prepared. Bring your wetsuit but be comfortable in the open water without one in the case that it is called not legal.

Sorry Javamom if this has derailed your intent, just want to pass along facts not hearsay. I really hope you can come out and swim with us sometime soon! You will find that its not half bad and actually enjoyable and FREEING to be out there wetsuit or not.

Edited by sportyj 2008-04-06 1:17 AM
    2008-04-06 2:55 PM

User image

Master
    Wisteria Lane
    Thank you all so much for your input!! I really appreciate it!

I am not a fast swimmer but I do feel comfortable in the water, for the most part.

BUT you all bring up so many good points to think about! And I thought buying a bike was tough. :>0

I will come out and see how I do at the lake before deciding anything.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer!

Lisa

2008-04-06 4:05 PM

User image

Mesa
    It was not wetsuit legal when I raced it 2 years ago.

If you want a good measure of how you will do swimming in TTL without a wetsuit, you can always pop in and do one of the splash n dash races. Most people treat those as a brick training session.
    2008-04-06 5:30 PM
    in reply to: #1318493

User image

Champion
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    sportyj - 2008-04-06 1:16 AM

gamebofh - 2008-04-05 8:28 PM

-Jot

I find it FASCINATING that the EXACT same race a year before (Called Timex at the time) was NOT wetsuit legal and that is a fact.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Keeping with the original intent of this thread I think it is irresponsible to lead new triathletes on to think that races will be wetsuit legal no matter what because you are going on "good authority" when the FACT is the call is made according to USAT rules. So the point is to always be prepared. Bring your wetsuit but be comfortable in the open water without one in the case that it is called not legal.

Sorry Javamom if this has derailed your intent, just want to pass along facts not hearsay. I really hope you can come out and swim with us sometime soon! You will find that its not half bad and actually enjoyable and FREEING to be out there wetsuit or not.

Johnathan, the RD, is well known for being VERY generous in how he measure the water temp. on race morning. He WANTS a wet suit legal race and really works hard to make it happen, even if it means tying ice cubes to a thermometer and plunking it down at the very bottom of the lake. I think thats what Jot is implying and he is correct.

Edited by bryancd 2008-04-06 5:50 PM
    2008-04-06 9:56 PM

User image

Master

While I believe that the RD is pretty generous about water temps, history has shown that he WILL take away wetsuits.

I know I've talked to the people who do the official temperature reading. I guess the bottom of the lake is much colder if they need it to be.

It would be great to get one of the people who does the official temperature reading to come here and explain it.  Can you invite them on here Jot?

2008-04-06 10:58 PM
    in reply to: #1319768

User image

Expert
    Arizona
    cordova61 - 2008-04-06 7:56 PM

While I believe that the RD is pretty generous about water temps, history has shown that he WILL take away wetsuits.

I know I've talked to the people who do the official temperature reading. I guess the bottom of the lake is much colder if they need it to be.

It would be great to get one of the people who does the official temperature reading to come here and explain it. Can you invite them on here Jot?

I'll see what I can do. I don't get the feeling they spend a lot of time online. I know they know of Slowtwitch, but don't know if they pay attention to BT.

-Jot
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tempe International Tri Rss Feed