General Discussion Race Reports! » Timex Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Timex Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Red Rock Company
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 35s
Overall Rank = 9/450
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/65
Pre-race routine:

I arose at 4:00, which for me is one of the easiest parts of the day as thats when I get up to go to work during the week anyway. Had some coffee and a cliff bar and headed on down to the start. My coach was just arriving setting up his booth at the finish area and I got my gear into transition. Bikes had been checked the day before, so there wasn't a lot to lug around.
In the week leading up to this race, there was a number of news reports regarding an excessive PH level in the Tempe Town Lake which had closed it to recreational swimming. As the event drew near, that restriction was lifted but the course had to be changed. Instead of two long legs out and back it became a square course with 1 lap for Sprint and 2 laps for Olympic. Also, at the last athelete meeting at the Expo on Saturday, they had to ban wetsuits as they water temp was 1 degree above the 78 cutoff for USAT. So we have a lot of first timers who have been robbed of their safety blankets and a square course with multiple loops. You can imagine how this swim is going to go!

Swim
  • 26m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

The Swim: Well, they started the men's Sprint and Oly Pro's first. Then the women's Sprint went next. 2 min later, womens Olympic lined up with my wave, Oly men 35 and up, right behind them. The ladies go, we line up as the mens Sprint guy's start coming in with the Oly pro's right behind. Gun goes off and we go. By the first turn marker, I am into the back of the womens start group. Pandemonium! I felt awful as I clobbered at least 4 gals in the back of the head. I spent a good portion of that first lap saying, "I'm sorry! Are you OK!". At every turn, there was a crush of people. The square format never let the field spread out, although it was easier to track straight between markers. On lap 2, it was a little better. Still, it was tough to keep a solid pace due to traffic conditions. A lot of us also think the swim was about 100-150 yards too long. I think I was 15th out of the water overall.

Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

T1: The run to T1 was at least 300 yards up into a baseball diamond. So that wasn't great but when I arrived, most of the Sprint traffic was gone, so on with the shades, helmet, and race belt (they required us to wear our # on the bike), grab the Litespeed and out. They had a mat down leading to the road...that somehow ended 10 feet from the sidewalk, forcing you to run through some soft sand....in bare, wet feet.....When I put my feet on top of my shoes at the mount line, they got pretty muddy and sandy . I was able to wipe some on the fly before I put my feet in.

Bike
  • 57m 1s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 26.15 mile/hr
Comments:

The Bike: Let me begin by saying that where the swim was a little long, this bike course is a little short. Probably closer to 24 miles and change than a full 40K. Keep that in mind when you see my time. The bike course I had ridden before in my first race in May that was in the same location, so I knew it well. 2 loops for Sprint, 4 loops for Olympic on the roads around the Lake. It's fairly flat, only one noteworthy climb and then some nice high speed stretches. Traffic was terrible as now I am picking my way through the back of the Sprint pack and then the back of the Olympic AG'ers. 4 very sharp, 90 degree turns also made it interesting, as some folks on Hybrid bikes try and take corners too tight and end up swinging wide into your path. I also almost, and I mean missed him by 1 foot, hit a cop trying to pick up a fallen waterbottle! I think I said, "ON YOUR LEFT!" 23,000 times
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

T2: So feet out of shoes, peddle, feet on top of shoes, peddle, BRAKE! Dismount. Back into Transition, rack the ride slip on the Nike's, run out! As I was leaving Transition, this sweet lady at run out yells...."Your helmet!" Oh....My...God...I am still wearing my helmet! Classic newbie mistake! . I unhook the chin strap and toss it into the grass at the exit of transition (They later put it back on my rack).

Run
  • 38m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

The Run- The run was 2 laps around the Lake on a concrete pedestrian path, using 2 bridges to cross back and forth over the water, 1 lap for the Sprinters. During the bike, as everyone is all mixed together, it's impossible to really gauge where you are relative to your competition. It's easier on the run. I was moving through the slower Sprint folks when Ispotted a guy I knew was in my race. It's funny, but you can just tell (you know what I mean, jdub?!). He didn't have a very good pace going and I passed him and looked back once to make sure I had dropped him. Now the fatigue is starting to set in. All my trainign is huge base work for IM AZ in April. I don't do speed workouts yet, so red lining for this long is hard for me. Kept up the pace as I came around for lap 2, saw my coach and wife and 2 dogs which gave me a nice shot of new vigor and set out to bring it home. Now, in my other Olympic races, at this point I never seem to catch anyone in front of me and I have never been passed on the bike or the run, so I figure I am where I am and that will be my day. With 1.5 lousy miles to go, I look ahead and see another one of "those" guys. He's in my race, he's 50 feet ahead, he's 6'1", long legs, looks like he's doing good.....Crap. I stay on my pace, and I'm getting closer. He's only 31, so not in my AG, but it is a position. I sneak in behind him and figure I'll shadow him until just before the finish and thenm try and lay all out. As we turn for the final bridge, he glances back and see's me! I'm busted! We exchange, "hey, lookin' good!". He aks, "Are you finishing?" I respond, "Trying too!". He laughs. Well, it's now or never, so pick it up as best as my legs seem to want to allow and look for him to respond. It's funny how you legs, 1/4 mile from the finish, still hold you back just a little. It's not till that last 500 yards that they say, "OK, GO!!!!" Fortunatley, he was done and by the time I turned for the finish chute, he was almost 50 seconds behind. I cross the line....BEEP!!!

Post race
Warm down:

Not much, just drank Gatorade and munched a baggel or two.

Last updated: 2006-11-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:25 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/65
Overall: 0/450
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot Race suit
Course: 2 laps around a square.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:57:01 | 24.85 miles | 26.15 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: 2 Loops around Tempe Town Lake
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:14 | 06.21 miles | 06m 10s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-01 9:36 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: Timex Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-11-01 10:14 AM
in reply to: #585155

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: RE: Timex Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Fabulous race!

Congrats on winning your AG.

Cheers
2006-11-02 12:29 PM

User image

Iraq currently
Congrats! That is an awesome time. Hope I can get to that level some day.
2006-11-02 12:40 PM
in reply to: #586748

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
militarysnugglz - 2006-11-02 12:29 PM

Congrats! That is an awesome time. Hope I can get to that level some day.

For starters, come home safe from Iraq, brother!
2006-11-08 6:05 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Great race impressive winning your AG!!
2006-11-08 7:44 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
That was seriously fast. Great race report and I look forward to reading more of your racing career. WOW!

2006-11-09 2:37 PM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Nice race ! And congratulations on winning your AG.

It sounds like it was just a walk in the park for you. Even if the bike was a bit short you are still fast, I mean wow. Maybe I should get me one of those Lightningspeed thingies

Edited by Mesteren 2006-11-09 2:38 PM
2006-12-11 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Dude, Wow. Nice!!!
2006-12-11 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran