Race Day Events
53F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 55m 47s
Overall Rank = 123/378
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/17
Pre-race routine:

As usual, the day before the race I hit the carbs (had the Tomato Basil Pasta from Aubrey's). I also bought a saddle bag for the bike (AERO!) to put all the fancy bike repair tools I now have into. I also picked up some food for the morning and some new sunglasses ($13 bucks from CVS... only the best equipment for me!).

I was waaaay geared up for this race. It was my first traditional tri since 2006 and the first one of those I've done with my new road bike. So try as I might last night, I couldn't sleep worth a damn. I went to bed at midnight and distinctly remember being awake at 1,2,3 & 4. Finally the alarm went off at 5AM and I sprung out of bed ready to rock.

I hit a bagel and a banana, got everything loaded into the car, grabbed my half asleep wife and headed down to the race. We were one of the first people to arrive and I got my packet, body marked, chip, and set up in transition pretty easily. The place filled in, I munched on my Power Bar, and with minutes to spare before the race made a very important trip to the bathroom.
Event warmup:

Warmup? More like stood around freezing. For some reason I assumed the swim would be indoors, but nope, we used UT's outdoor heated pool. Standing around in my zoot suit waiting to get into the pool was freezing!
Swim
  • 09m 1s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, the race organizers did their best to organize us by estimated completion times, but as I was waiting to hop in it was clear some folks really overestimated their swimming ability and the lanes were getting clogged at points. Nothing too terrible, but was funny seeing some doggy paddling in the 6min group.

I decided to fall in with the 7:45 pace group. Did I mention it was cold standing there? Hopping into the pool was bliss as it was much warmer there. I took off and almost immediately caught the person in front of me. I think I passed a few people each lane and I tried to do it in the best way possible.

I did have a hard time clearing the lane dividers and once bashed my head really good. I also swallowed some pool water but overall the swim was pretty smooth. My time was slower that I expected, but the traffic in the pool held me up at a few points.
What would you do differently?:

I dunno. Maybe not whack my head!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I felt much improved over my transition in my 2006 sprint. The swim of course was much shorter so I wasn't as dizzy coming out of the water. I ran all the way from the pool to the bike and at a fast pace (passed a few folks). I dried my feet, tossed on some socks, put on my shoes (Why oh why were my shoelaces tied!?!?!?), put on the shirt, grabbed my shades and helmet and took off.

Untie my shoelaces BEFORE the race.
Bike
  • 24m 35s
  • 6 miles
  • 14.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm fairly happy with my bike performance. I was worried about cashing my legs so I probably didn't push it as hard as I should have with the course being only 6 miles and everything. The bike was almost over before it began! The bike time also includes both transitions so that's why the mph looks a little low.

I think having some shoes that clip in would probably be a big help over the toe cages I have now, and I should probably learn to changes gears better. Whenever someone motored past me I checked out their gears and they were always in an easier gear than me, so I need to figure that out. I guess I should rely on that cadence thing on my little bike computer doohickey.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Really easy since I run and bike in the same shoes. Take off the helmet, rack the bike, and I'm off!

Nothing really.
Run
  • 22m 11s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were a bit out of sorts for the first mile or so. I probably haven't done enough training bricks. It's always funny how slow I feel when running immediately after whizzing by on a bike. On the way out there was a big downhill, so I decided to take it easy knowing that I'd have to run up that damn thing at the end.

Had a bit of a snafu at the first water station and spilled the water before I got a drink. The second station was right before the big hill home but I got a few sips in. The person rooting everyone on halfway up the hill deserved a medal. Once I hit the top you could see the finish and I really started to push it. With my running base so big now I really had some gas left in the tank. I was going full out at the end!

Looking at my time I really wonder if the course was actually 3 miles long. I sure didn't feel that fast out there...

Maybe go a bit faster at the beginning, but I was working my legs into the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the water stand.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could lower my swim time with some technique lessons, my bike time with some cool pedals, and my run time with some more speed work. But whatever! I'm happy.

Event comments:

I think the organizers did a nice job. There's a lot of overlap with the bike and run course, which can get confusing, but I think the volunteers did a good job keeping me straight. I had a great time, it was nice to get a t-shirt that was a color other than white, and the water bottle was pretty nice as well.

Last updated: 2008-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:01 | 437 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 191/378
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Suit Shorts
Course: 8 Laps in the Outdoor Heated Pool, switching to the next lane after each lap.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:24:35 | 06 miles | 14.64 mile/hr
Overall: 134/378
Wind:
Course: Fairly easy course around UT's campus. I heard stories of folks doing an extra lap on accident, but I had looked at the map prior to and felt the sorority girls did a good job with the directions.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:11 | 03 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 104/378
Course: Fairly Hilly course through and around UT.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes