Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wondering... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-02-16 11:12 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: Wondering...
Hey folks. This weekend I was reading (oh my!!) a non-triathlon (or any other type of training related work), and it got me thinking...

What are people reading outside of the training genre??

What have you read?

What do you like?

Why?

Favorite others?

Just curious....

Dana

2004-02-16 11:16 PM
in reply to: #7693

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Wondering...

I like reading books with nice little stories in them, such as the Chicken Soup for the Soul-type books.  They really help motivate me, and there's no cliffhangar so when I want to put it down I can without NEEDING to keep reading to find out what happens next.

Sharon

2004-02-17 6:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho

Hmmm, it seems lately all I am reading is Tri related stuff! I go in spurts with reading. I am now reading Total Immersion to get ready for the pool at my gym to get finished being built. Just got done reading the Triathlete Training Bible. It was a good book but got a little to intense for me just being a beginner. But I am sure I will use it for years to come. I am also reading a book on Photoshop, but talk about some dry reading! Oh boy! But interesting none the less. Wow, I really need to broaden my reading selections! Lol. Jack.

2004-02-17 6:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

If not reading training books, I go back and forth between classics and sci fi. Favorites in no particular order are Hemingway, Steinbeck, Kerouac(of course, if you recognize my handle), David Brin, Clarke... Favorite book, David Brin's Earth.

JD

2004-02-17 6:30 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
great question Dana! Let's see....outside of textbook type materials I am not reading a darn thing. I have Phil Esposito's biography sitting here and should probably get it back to the library because I am not going to get to it any time soon.

2004-02-17 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Besides my text book for school the only other thing I have read in the past six months are the threads on this website. And they take presidence over the text book.

2004-02-17 10:10 AM
in reply to: #7762

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
isn't that the truth! my son is waiting for me and here I sit! LOL

2004-02-17 11:22 AM

Dallas, TX
I love reading thrillers. I just finished The Da Vinci Code and I'm now reading Storming Heaven by Kyle Mills. One of my favorite authors is Ken Follett and one of my favorite books by him is Pillars of the Earth. It's a thick book so it's intimidating at first, but it is such an easy and enjoyable read - and not a thriller. I'm fortunate that I barely ever have to buy books because my previous manager buys tons of books and then just passes them on to me and a couple of other people after he's read them. Bonus!
2004-02-17 12:14 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

unfortunately i have to read cutting edge thrillers like: paints and coatings international, emulsion polymerization and emulsion polymers, textbook of polymer science. 

back in the day i used to love king, koontz and sci-fi stuff also military fiction/nonfiction.  I loved the robotech series and read all the books.  my fam went up this past weekend to a used dvd place and found the entire robotech series on dvd.  i purchased #1, episodes 1-5.  still cool for anime in the 80's..i plan to get ALL of them.  i guess if i have time a good legal thriller will do.

submarine stories, for me, are the edge of my seat thrillers...nothing more exciting then not knowing when or where that attack sub is gonna be coming from to put a torpedo through your hull.

2004-02-17 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Wow--besides azwaterbaby and Dharmabum, we sound a bit boring, don't we!! There must be life between training and work/school. There MUST be!!

So tell me, AZ, recommend the Da Vinci Code??

Dana
2004-02-17 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm a history buff so I read a lot of biographies & Civil War stuff.

I also like mysteries, thrillers, true crime, spy novels, swords & sorcery.

2004-02-17 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
I guess I should answer my own question.

Just read Into the Wild by Krakauer this weekend (I'm speedy). In some ways, I can identify with his idealism and desire to cut away some of the fat of life--but also startled by his mercilessness and arrogance. Not sure what I think of it after I put it down yet.

Also read (same weekend) Thrones, Dominations by Dorothy L. Sayers and Jill Paton Walsh. I really love old school mysteries. And this one has the 'resurrection' of a favorite character--Lord Peter Wimsey--despite the death of the author nearly 30 years ago. If you like A. Christie, Ngiao Marsh, PD James, Martha Grimes, Josephine Tey style books, you'd enjoy--but if you've never read a Sayers novel, start at one of her earlier books.

Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore. I giggled. You need to know that this is a rare occurence--this helpless laughter, that I wouldn't want anyone to see in a public place. In electronic language, GMAO. It's a great book if you are not looking for meaning or enrichment of any sort. But a very nice diversion. Full of cynicism and tongue-in-cheekness.

Also just finished a run of Carl Hiassen books (for you Florida types). I can get a bit focused and obsessive, so I basically read about 6 of them over the course of the last month.

Just picking up the following books: A Gesture Life by Chang-Rae Lee, Companion to the Poor by Viv Grigg, Jane Eyre Affair (sci-fi mystery by... can't remember.

Favorite authors:
Dorothy Sayers (everything)
C.S. Lewis (love Til We Have Faces and Great Divorce)
Pat Barker's Regeneration
Power of One by Bryce McCourtney
Kate Ross mysteries
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Oh, I could go on and on.

Nothing better (in my mind) than a book recommendation.

:-)

Dana
2004-02-17 2:23 PM

New user

Between workouts, work, kids, wife, eating I'm lucky I can sleep.
2004-02-17 2:46 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-02-17 3:30 PM
in reply to: #7786

Dallas, TX
Dana,

I would recommend Da Vinci Code. I should mention, though, that I mostly read for enjoyment now and not enrichment. I think what I'm trying to say is that the book poses a train of thought which is very contrary to what a lot of us grew up learning. This isn't a bad thing, but it did leave me wondering how much of the story was fact - not enough to actually research on it though.
2004-02-17 3:43 PM

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Haven't had any time to read books lately. The bulk of my reading material has been magazines and newspapers. They include, but are not limited to:

Daily
USA Today
Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
Dallas Morning News

Weekly
Newsweek
Sports Illustrated

Monthly
Sport Compact Car
Turbo Magazine
Import Tuner
Playboy
Travel & Leisure
Conde Naste
Esquire
Food & Wine

I enjoy the works of Clancy and Clavell immensely. I also enjoy the Clancy-esque spinoff novels as well as Timothy Zahn of the Star Wars spinoffs. I have been reading over and over the Tolkien books for the last 25+ years. But, my hands down favorite is Douglas Adams and his "Hitchhiker" series. I usually have one of his paperbacks whenever I travel. Needless to say, those paperbacks are pretty ragged. My wife gave me hardcopies which I keep at home for posterity.

2004-02-17 5:30 PM

Elite

Hi Dana,

What a cerebral thread.  I read a bit each day but don't have time for much.   I usually read what my middle daughter gives me for presents.   Very high brow stuff.  I struggle with it but it is a good thing.  Here is stuff from maybe the last year.

Modern Mind: An intellectual history of the 20th century,   Peter Watson (reading it now)

Euler:  Master of Us All,  William Dunham (great book)

What Went Wrong:  Western Impact and Middle Eastern Response,  Bernard Lewis (really a condensed version of his more lengthy writings on the falling behind of Muslim countries to western Europe from 1000 AD to 1800 AD.

Guns, Germs and Steel:  The fates of human society, Jared Diamond.

Tuxedo Park : A Wall Street Tycoon and the Secret Palace of Science That Changed the Course of World War II,
Jennet Conant

The Secret Life of Bees. Not a middle daughter selection.  Rainy day at the lake house and just picked it up.

I recommend all of these for various reasons.  I have Living History by Hillary Clinton and Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand on the night stand to read when I get to them. 

I do read much more technical stuff than intellectual stuff.  I checked my Amazon account.  I have purchased about 100 books over the last two years.  Perhaps, I have a substance abuse problem--paper.

TW

2004-02-17 6:24 PM
in reply to: #7853

Master
Berkeley, CA
Wow! Very heady! I have Guns, Germs and Steel on my to read shelf. You didn't mention whether or not you liked that one. Any thoughts? Your books make me feel like a fluff-head!!

Happily fluffing away,
Dana

2004-02-17 6:53 PM

Veteran
I am always reading one of Uncle Johns Bathroom readers. Lots of short and cool stories, and history facts. Once and awhile a tri magazine will make it into my library(bathroom).

I have also just started a book called Cycling. I know it sound training related, but it isn't really. The main charecter uses cycling as an escape, but it is not used to learn how to cycle better.
2004-02-17 7:47 PM
in reply to: #7856

Elite

Hi Dana,

Guns, Germs, and Steel is a very informative book.  It might be better titled Grains, Livestock, and a Viable Migration Path to Spread Them because these are the underlying factors, according to Diamond, that led to the technological explosion in western Europe that resulted in guns, germs and steel and then domination of all other indigenous cultures.  An interesting fact, did you know that of the 56 species of large seeded grasses that are potential candidates for large scale grain production, 33 occurred natively only in west Asia, Europe and the Mediterranean?   No other continental land mass had more than 6.  Also domesticatable horses and cattle natively occurred in the same area.

A good book and not hard reading. 

I am not the heady one.  It is my middle daughter's list.   She is trying to save me from engineering geekiness.   To balance out the image of her, I should tell you also that in her new apartment, she found her roommates were already subscribing to Foreign Affairs, The Economist, Newsweek and Time.  So she subscribed to Glamour and In Style to balance out the periodicals.

TW

2004-02-17 11:12 PM

Regular
Hi Everyone,

I love to read!

As a personal and business coach I love THe Power of Focus, The one minute Millionaire, The Magic of thinking Big, excuse Me your Life is waiting (very light hearted approach to metaphysics)

For fiction: the Last of the breed Louis L'amour must read it not a western
the Charm School by nelson Demille all of his are good
Any thing by Robert Ludlum

Anyone have any must reads that are similar to Ludlum spy thrillers??

Oh also Seabiscuit was really good ,better than the movie.

All the best,
Stacey

2004-02-18 11:45 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

I started reading 20 years ago in Nuc school. I couldn't sleep with all the numbers running through my head from 8 hrs a day of lecture. It helps me to relax and I read every night before bed. Of course sometimes the books get too god and you stay up later!

Love:

Just finished (11 books out so far) the Left Behind Series
Tom Clancy
Robert Ludlum
Ken Follet
Fredercik Forsythe (sp?)
Nelson Demille
Grisham
Dune Series
Lord of Rings
Brad Metzler (just discovered him and really like his books)
Dan Brown (tech thrillers)
Parker (detective)
Kellerman
Cromwell
Koontz

Used to read Stephen King until got to Gerald's Game. It was so awful, the only thing I have read since is Dream catcher and the Green Mile.

more, just can't think of them all.
Basically:

Spiritual, thrillers (tech and spy), trial type books (Grisham, ...), detective stories, mysteries

2004-02-18 12:14 PM
in reply to: #7976

Master
Berkeley, CA
Morning Cameron-

What's Nuc school??

Really liked Patricia Cornwell (have always had something for Forensics--must have been Quincy, back in the day!) until Cause of Death and then she lost me. Perhaps her more recent ones have been better, but I never picked them up. Would you recommend??

Dana
2004-02-18 1:24 PM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I love politics, law, philosophy, history and historically based fiction, and books by or about Simon Wiesenthal. I am reading a Law text and a Sociology text for a Law course I am currently taking. Also, I am reading "The Girl with the Pearl Earing" at bedtime and re-reading "The Trial of Socrates" while on the bus to and from work. I also finished reading a series of 3 books on Josephine Beauharnais-Bonaparte recently; they were a very good read.
2004-02-18 1:34 PM
in reply to: #8000

Master
Berkeley, CA
Sounds very like me--if I'm not reading at least 6 books at once, something is very odd!

Dana
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wondering... Rss Feed  

of 2