Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-02-18 11:20 PM
in reply to: #7793

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
Subject: RE: Wondering...

Oh, I could go on and on. Nothing better (in my mind) than a book recommendation. :-) Dana

I'm right with you.  I was going to sleep but this is more fun.  Let's see...David Brin definitely - Earth, startide rising, the uplift war, kiln people are all great.  jon krakauer's into the wild and into thin air are fantastic (as is anatoliy boukreev's rebuttal, the climb).  I'll check out Dorothy Sayers.  You should read Cryptonomicon by neal stephenson, I'm like an evangelist for that book.

Past week I went through Typhoon (joseph konrad), everything's eventual (stephen king), passion play (sean stewart), and lol Ron, part of my polymer science text.

I tend to move around between SF, history, science, outdoor stuff, disasters, and books by reporters.  Here are some favorites:

from beiruit to jerusalem. 

mutiny on the bounty & men against the sea (Hall)

Alive (piers paul read)  The uraguayan rugby team that crashed in the andes.

jon krakauer's books.  outdoor disasters

the worst journey in the world (apsley cherry-garard).  3 yrs in the antarctic with Scott, including a winter sledging trip of 50 days to fetch penguin eggs.  they had no sled dogs and pulled themselves, very british.

South (shackleton)

timescape & eater (gregory benford).  The best SF ever about time travel, bar none.

foundation trilogy (asimov).  What if mathematical prediction of the future were possible?

Anything by Cordwainer Smith (GREAT!!)  The guy was a china expert for the CIA in the 50s and wrote a textbook on psychological warfare, but in his sparetime published these amazing SF short stories that are unlike anyone else.

killing pablo (mark bowden)  How we helped to track down and kill pablo escobar

god has ninety-nine names (judith miller) survey of the middle east by a reporter who's lived there for years

voyage of the beagle (darwin)  his description of south america in the early 19th century is fascinating.  This guy was into everything he saw.

journals of lewis and clark

a confederacy of dunces.  The world according to a lunatic. 

Watership down.  rabbits in search of  a new home

anything by patrick o'brien.  Naval adventure in the time of nelson.

the imperial animal (lionel tiger).  ideas about how evolution affects behavior.

the shining, the dead zone (stephen king) my 2 favorites of his.

sense and sensibility (jane austen)  jane knew what it was all about

ender's game & speaker for the dead (orson scott card).  Childhood, being an instrument of war, and life after

anything by phillip k. dick.  paranoid but fun

lord of the rings.  This has got me over the roughest patches in my life and made smile during them

a distant mirror, the guns of august, bible and sword (barbara tuchman). 

the man who loved only numbers - biography of mathematician paul erdos, who kept no home but travelled the world for 50 years from one math profs house to another.

doomsday book, to say nothing about the dog (connie willis).  The other best time travel SF novels.

I better sleep.  Happy reading!  (hope to finish heart of darkness tonight, i'm on a bit of a konrad kick)

2004-02-18 11:25 PM
in reply to: #8167

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
wow! that was fun to read.

I'll print up your list and put it in my too read file. Dorothy Sayers may not be your boat, I'm afraid. Doesn't fit into most of your categories. But hey. I'll pick up the one that you are currently evangelizing!!

Dana
2004-02-18 11:54 PM
in reply to: #7693

User image

Master
Chicago

Reading, ahhh, a subject that is most precious to me. I read so much it's difficult to pick just one favorite author.

I mostly read nonfiction, autobiographies are wonderful. I also love anything and everything about politics. When I do read fiction I usually read Stephen King, James Patterson and Tom Clancy. But I also love anything by James Michener.

I love Zora Neal Hurston, Richard Wright, Octavia Butler (she writes sci-fi), anything by Orson Scott Card (The Sci-Fi Ender's Game Series is awesome tells the story of a young Messiah who saves the world from the buggers by learning to play a video game.)

Of course there are the classics: Shakespeare, Kafka, Tolstoy, (The Death of Ivan Illych), Volaire's Candide (interesting philosophy on the rich and powerful a scathing indictment of the Church). Wole Soyinka, Bessie Head and Achebe.

But the best book, with the greatest stories, the most emotional stories and the most fantastical adventures of course is the Bible. I'm currently rereading it and it is amazing how many great stories are in there. Whew! A good read overall.

2004-02-19 12:26 AM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
ACK!
I'm a book junkie. I've never met a bookstore I didn't like and have an addiction to magazines....

Recent reads...
1. have to agree with someone who posted Confederacy of Dunces...this is a CLASSIC. The story on this guy is that it was published *after* he died. His only published work. He committed suicide and his mother pushed to have this book published. They're making a movie out of it and Will Ferrell is slated to play the lead??? If you've read the book maybe you'll agree that I'm not sure if this is good casting or not although I like him. Talking with a friend about it we were thinking a young John Malkovich would have been purrrfect.

Po Bronson - What Should I do with my life...this book ROCKED. I recently left corporate America and a fast track career to reevaluate and explore some new dreams and this book was great. Ind'l stories from people who have tried to answer the question....thing about the book is it dispels the myth of you one day having the "EUREKA" moment or that epiphany and that it is hard work and dedication that will get you where you want to go. I've recommended it to a few people who in turn are now recommending to their friends.

Love Krauker as well.

Just finished Executioner's Song by Mailer which I picked up in a used book store...fascinating reading.

Mags subscriptions...
"E Dub" Entertainment Weekly...
New Yorker
Atlantic Monthly
Vanity Fair
Newsweek
Rolling Stone
Details
Outside

2004-02-19 10:07 PM
in reply to: #8179

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA

crpadiem - 2004-02-19 3:26 AM Confederacy of Dunces...this is a CLASSIC. The story on this guy is that it was published *after* he died. His only published work. He committed suicide and his mother pushed to have this book published. They're making a movie out of it and Will Ferrell is slated to play the lead??? If you've read the book maybe you'll agree that I'm not sure if this is good casting or not although I like him. 

I think he could act the part although he's not fat enough.  It's kind of a question actually, because Ignatius Reilly has such an absurb dignity to him.  Will Farrel would definitely have to stretch but he could maybe do it.  It's too bad Toole killed himself, Dunces is about the funniest thing I ever read. 

I've never heard of Po Bronson, what's that? 

I remember reading executioner's song a long time ago and liking it.  Oddly i haven't read any other norman mailer.  Someday I'll do the naked and the dead, anyone read that?  As good as it's rep or overrated?

Dana - Cryptonomicon may or may not be your taste too.  Here's a description.  The plot follows related characters in two times, WWII and the silicon valley gold rush.  It involves war gold, cryptography (bletchley park and alan turing come into it), hackers, china marines, ronald reagan, and the phillipines.  The author is almost definitely a jerk, but he's my kind of jerk and he's funny as hell.

2004-02-19 10:15 PM
in reply to: #8175

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
infosteward - 2004-02-19 2:54 AM

But the best book, with the greatest stories, the most emotional stories and the most fantastical adventures of course is the Bible. I'm currently rereading it and it is amazing how many great stories are in there. Whew! A good read overall.

Definitely interesting to read, although not everything makes sense.  I like the old testament quite a bit, it's got the feeling of things and legends passed down from way, way back.  I'm still trying to figure out why Melville picked ahab and ishmael for the characters names in moby dick.  Revelation is fun too with its beast with eleven heads and eyeballs in it's arms and whatnot. 

Octavia butler did parable of the talents, right?  Another biblical tie there too.  Good book as well.  Who is Zora Neal Hurston?

It's funny, I've always read candide as a satire of polyannas more than religion per se.  Have to go back...

As much as I like the running and all, this is still more my speed.

2004-02-19 10:25 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
wrybosome, here's some info on Po Bronson. He's a freelance writer/author who's written a couple books....His website is here and here's an interview NPR did with him regarding the book...it gives you a snippet of what's in it and his theory behind it...and it's HERE!

I like not what *he* said, but the way he let the stories tell the story...and I must admit it's been a great inspiration for me as far as pursuing this TRI thing....gave me that extra little push when I doubted myself and that I couldn't do it helped bring out that nagging voice inside my head that kept asking..."Why not?"

nt

Edited by crpadiem 2004-02-19 10:32 PM
2004-02-20 1:14 AM
in reply to: #8372

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
wrybosome - 2004-02-19 6:15 PM

Who is Zora Neal Hurston?

Most famous book, There Eyes Were Watching God. Lyrical. Beautiful. She's an author from the Harlem Rennaisance (sp).

Good night, all and happy reading!

Dana
2004-02-20 8:25 AM
in reply to: #7982

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

dhlundblad - 2004-02-18 12:14 PM Morning Cameron- What's Nuc school?? Really liked Patricia Cornwell (have always had something for Forensics--must have been Quincy, back in the day!) until Cause of Death and then she lost me. Perhaps her more recent ones have been better, but I never picked them up. Would you recommend?? Dana

Nuc school was Navy Nuclear Power Schools for working on reactors on ships (not nuclear weapons :-) )

I have enjoyed all of Cornwell's books. I recommend them all. Some of her earlier ones are my favorites.

2004-02-20 9:36 PM
in reply to: #8372

User image

Master
Chicago
Yeah, Candide is an attack on polyannism. But Voltaire wasn't just attacking man's need for happiness at all times. He was attacking the results that comes from man's need for happieness at all times. An almost blind faith in an institution the perpetuates the very crimes that it preaches against - torture, tyranny, theft, sexual misconduct, war, execution. Voltaire lashed out at the Catholic Church and accused it of being guilty of all these things by making the source of the afflictions of his characters (the theft of Lady Cunedegon's jewel, Pangloss' mysterious STD) come from members of the Catholic Church. So all things were good except when the Church was concerned. But what's more, he lashed out at people for blindly accepting such manipulation. And uses "Candide," the protagnist as an example of how people should react to this polyanna attitude that they have about their Church. It's quite brilliant really what he did. No wonder he was exiled for it. But I tend to think he was a little harsh. All pot calling the kettle black if you know what I mean.
2004-02-21 2:07 PM
in reply to: #8578

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
Maybe I should reread it then, I don't recall the details well enough for this...too bad, I remember liking it a lot. Also I tend to get Voltaire mixed up with jonathan swift. I was about to post about how my favorite voltaire piece was a modest proposal. Lol.

Just finished heart of darkness, it was interesting to read what copppola was thinking about when he shot apocalypse now. My favorite bits in the book are - the one at the beginning where Marlowe talks about what it must have been like for the romans rowing up the Thames into a barbarian wilderness; and the part where he reads Kurtz's pamphlet about helping the poor savages of the Congo, noble goals, lofty thoughts, etc and then at the end margin in a later scrawl..."exterminate all the brutes". Very edgy.

Hey I can use a bit of this day off to go to the bookstore and get a Dorothy Sayer book, and something else, have to see when I get there.

2004-02-21 11:10 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
just remember, i warned you! :-)

Sayers is not for everyone--hope you had a good day off.

d
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wondering... Rss Feed  

of 2